The Golden Rule

By MissBonnett

James has one golden rule. Never date a werewolf. Sure, he'll date another wizard like himself, a vampire, a... More

Chapter One: Paper
Chapter Two: Cotton
Chapter Three: Leather
Chapter Four: Flowers
Chapter Five: Wood
Chapter Six: Iron
Chapter Seven: Copper
Chapter Eight: Bronze
Chapter Nine: Pottery
Chapter Ten: Aluminum
Chapter Eleven: Steel
Chapter Twelve: Silk
Chapter Thirteen: Lace
Chapter Fourteen: Ivory
Chapter Sixteen: Silverware
Chapter Seventeen: Furniture
Chapter Eighteen: Porcelain
Chapter Nineteen: Aquamarine
Chapter Twenty: China
Chapter Twenty-One: Brass
Chapter Twenty-Two: Copper
Chapter Twenty-Three: Silver Plate
Chapter Twenty-Four: Opal
Chapter Twenty-Five: Silver
Epilogue

Chapter Fifteen: Crystal

15.8K 963 182
By MissBonnett

ERIC

"Eric?" James murmured from upstairs.

Eric's whole body reacted to James' voice. The air moved when James stirred between the covers. Eric's skin buzzed. His wolf jumped for joy as the corners of his mouth pulled into a smile. Eric's mate was awake.

"I'm making breakfast!" Eric answered as he flipped the sizzling bacon. The grease popped and little droplets jumped onto his bare hand. The time was creeping closer to lunch than breakfast. Earlier, when he opened his eyes and found James inside his arms, it felt like a crime to wake him. Eric was concerned that by the end of this vacation, James was going to be spoiled.

By the time James pulled himself from bed and reached the bottom of the ladder, a full breakfast was ready: two eggs, crispy bacon, and toast with jam. Eric was ready with a cup of coffee when James' feet hit the ground.

James wore his boxers and wore one of Eric's button up shirts. James' chest was bare and something primal in Eric growled. It took all of Eric's control not to throw James over his shoulder and take him back the ladder.

James took the cup of coffee, but before he adjourned to the table, he reached for Eric's arm. He pulled Eric down, placing a small kiss on Eric's cheek. Eric's face erupted into a smile. He whispered into James' hair, "Was that for the coffee or...?"

"Everything," James muttered into a sip as a blush crawled up his neck.

They ate their breakfast as Eric skimmed the local and national papers. Every now and then, he'd peaked over the edge and catch James' eyes. It was a game. James would look down and pretend he wasn't staring at all. His foot would brush Eric's ankle or their knees would bump. Breakfast was never such a dance before.

Eric set his paper aside. He rested his elbows on the table, folding his fingers and resting his chin onto his thumbs. He suggested, "I figured we could go hiking today."

"Hiking?" James gawked, obviously wide awake. "Eric, I'm supposed to be on vacation."

"What if I promise to take you somewhere amazing with a waterfall and everything?"

James slid off his chair, walking backwards towards the ladder. He threw up a finger gun and grinned, "I'll go hiking, only if you carry me."

Something told Eric that the conversation was a nonstarter, so he collected the plates and gave James his space to get ready. Though, if Eric was being honest, he would have clung to James. Eric wanted to confess every second of the morning.

When James brushed his teeth, Eric wanted to say, "I'm broken. James, you broke me, so you better take responsibility."

When James proposed spending the day at home and taking a walk around the lake instead, Eric wanted to say, "James..." He loved saying his name. "You can have anything you want. Just ask." Eric wanted him to ask too.

After they got dressed, James waited outside on the porch. He wore a recommended set of clothes: simple things like jeans, a T-shirt underneath a thermal and the hiking boots Eric borrowed from Izzy's boyfriend, Alex. Eric reached over and tried to rub the hair sticking up, back down.

James smiled at Eric, expectantly and Eric nearly admitted, "I am in love with you."

Instead, he said, "You lead the way."

#

At first, James didn't notice, but every now and then, Eric would appear by his side. Something would catch James' eye, whether it be a squirrel or that he thought he saw some sort of creature inside the lake. James would run towards it and when he looked around, Eric would be there. Eric changed his stride to match James' pace and so, they walked together.

James was so aware of him and James caught himself just staring at Eric. He was beautiful and James marveled at this man's broad shoulders and warm brown skin. His scruff was becoming full on facial hair and James couldn't help but reach out and touch it. Eric smiled and though it wasn't James' intention to get one, Eric leaned over and gave James one long and slow kiss.

It was the first time James ever thought about starting a photo album. Now, he understood grandmothers who poured themselves into the pages of pictures behind glossy sheets. Maybe James couldn't perfectly recreate this day, but over pictures, he could try to recapture the same feeling.

"We have to go back inside and get ready for dinner," Eric pulled on James' arm.

James blinked. He reached into his pocket and took out his phone. The display read that it was only 4:30 pm. James asked, "isn't it a bit early for dinner?"

As Eric explained, he walked ahead and held the door open for James. "Tonight, is a full moon and the pack always runs together. We have a meeting first and then, the chosen wolves run the perimeter to watch for rogues..." James nodded and listened carefully. He wanted to suck in as much information as possible. He might have been human, but he wasn't going to get left behind.

"The rest of us will hunt or play. It's the first full moon since I left home for the city. Hell," Eric realized, "I still haven't transformed since I've gotten back."

"Did you shift at all in the city?" James asked.

Eric shook his head. "I don't know how city wolves do it. I couldn't find a single place to stretch my legs and now, I feel like a powder keg."

"Well by all means," James hurried to the ladder. "Let's go get dinner."

James changed out of his somewhat sweaty clothes in exchange for his light gray sweater with elbow patches, over a red and white plaid shirt. He kept on a pair of jeans and nearly changed all over again. It felt like he was trying too hard. He was... but, he didn't want Eric's family to realize that.

"Here's your coat," Eric held up James' black pea coat.

For a moment, James just stared at it. "But, it's not that cold."

"But, it is cold," Eric muttered and draped the coat around James' shoulders. He turned for the door as if it was nothing, leaving James slacked jawed. James really misjudged this bastard at the beginning. Who would've thought this big bad alpha would be so gentle?

They left for the main pack house and this time, Izzy banned the dumb couple from the kitchen. They hung around the living room with everyone else. James rested against the wall beside Leo. Leo, like all young people, was designated to fix the stereo. His quick fix was setting up his laptop instead and hooked up some speakers.

"He's so smart," Maria doted on Leo with the greatest look of love. Her eyes were glazed over with so much admiration. She rested her head on James' shoulder as she looked on.

"Alright Mom," Leo began to explain how to work Spotify in Spanish. If she didn't understand, she didn't show it. "Okay?" He asked.

"Oh, I don't know," Moira waved her hands. "Just play something nice. Something nice," she stressed.

"No Metallica?" Leo mumbled and only James chuckled, maybe the only one who heard him. Leo browsed the computer screen and soon, music trickled into the room.

Instantly, after only hearing the first few piano keys, Maria loudly sighed. "Oh, I love this song."

"I figured," Leo whispered. "I just threw on an 80s playlist."

Maria didn't hear that either. She just closed her eyes and swayed back and forth, mouthing the words. She even clutched her hands over her chest. Her husband, Javier appeared and wrapped his arms around her waist, resting his chin on her shoulder. She grinned as he whispered the lyrics into her neck.

"Ugh," Leo gagged.

"Pardon me, Mr. Connolly," Eric spoke in mid-bow as he offered his hand. "May I have this dance?" James' heart swelled. James accepted his warm hand and he was lifted onto his feet. Eric slipped them into a dance, sliding his muscular arm around James waist. Eric rested his forehead against James' as James held onto his shoulder.

They swayed, side to side. James amazed himself by not stepping on Eric's foot once. The rest of the room melted away, the people, the furniture and even the floor. They were floating, dancing among the clouds and James could have stayed there forever.

"James," Eric whispered after a while.

"Hm?" James hummed, breathing Eric's scent.

He didn't say anything right away and James' stomach twisted. He held on a little tighter without thinking. Eric's voice was low and only James could hear him. Eric said, "I love you."

James froze.

James leaned back, studying the look in Eric's eyes. He was not kidding. Eric's eyes narrowed with a tinged of sadness. He looked ready for rejection and a rush of emotion hit James like a tidal wave and he couldn't figure out which way was up or down.

"Um," James panicked. Tears pricked the corners of his eyes and James had to take a shuddering breath that only made him panic more. "Um," he said just because he couldn't think of what to say. Then, one thing flew out of his mouth, "I need some air."

Before he could see Eric's reaction, James turned and hurried out of the room. He didn't want to cause a scene. James ran when no one was around and threw himself outside, onto the porch. He held onto the railing and let his skin soak in the cool autumn breeze.

I love you, he could hear Eric's words. Goosebumps littered James' arms. He sniffed, biting back the tears. Pressing his hands to his face, James did his best to calm down. He begged himself not to sob, not to freak out. His heart was going to explode.

Eric loved him.

Him.

James shook his head. It was hard for him to believe. James was talkative. He couldn't shut up and he was bossy. No, bossy wasn't the right word. James was selfish. He was awkward and he... James didn't know if he could be Eric's mate. Yes, he knew on paper he was Eric's mate, but could James really be the partner Eric wanted, needed to be this pack's Alpha.

A knock on the door made James jump out of his skin. "Oh," he sniffed and rubbed any tears that escaped. He took a deep breath and forced a very tight smile on his face. "Hey," he said to Leo, peaking out the front door.

"I uh, don't mean to bother you," Leo stated.

"You're not bothering me," James forced a laugh and his heart ached.

"Um, I kinda overheard what Eric said," Leo admitted, keeping his eyes on his shoes, which was nice because James' face burned and if Leo was looking at him, James would definitely burst into tears. James looked up at the sky.

Leo said, "I wanted to thank you, I guess."

"Thank me?" James didn't mean to laugh. It just flew out of his mouth, more out of shock than anything. His brow furrowed. "Why?"

"It's just..." Leo joined James beside the railing. He looked down at the grass and shrugged. "For as long as I can remember, my brother has been carrying all this weight on his shoulders, you know? Like really. He walks around like he's dragging the whole pack behind him. He's convinced himself he can't be a normal guy and that everything is about work. Then, he met you. I don't know. It's the happiest I've ever seen him."

James swallowed, but this time, the tears spilled down his cheeks.

Leo said, "I think a couple of years ago, he just decided he was going to be lonely and that made him cold and mean. It made him..." Leo shrugged. After a second, he finally peaked over at James. He asked, "Do you...? Never mind," he shook his head. "I'll leave you alone now. Thanks for listening."

"Leo," James called after him. He smiled, "Thanks. You're a great kid."

"Uh-huh," Leo nodded and disappeared back into the house.

I love you, Eric fucking Silva said.

James closed his eyes. Eric meant it. Eric did not mince words and he was honest. Eric meant it when he said, "I love you." The words were burned into James' heart and it was a light that wouldn't easily be put out. Even outside in the cold, James couldn't shake the heat. He sniffled again and whispered, his voice breaking, "He loves me."

#

After James calmed down, he went back inside and joined the table for dinner. The only thing Eric asked was "Are you alright?"

"Yes," James whispered back. He gave Eric a small kiss and yet, there was still a flicker of worry inside of Eric's eyes. Eric didn't hold back. He stole every moment to watch James. Eric couldn't sit still the entire meal and once Izzy pointed it out, he lied and said it was because he was eager to shift.

As soon as the meal ended, everyone began preparing for the hunt. Maria asked if James wanted to stay at the main house while everyone was out, but James insisted he'd be fine at Eric's house. He didn't say it, but James would find it more comfortable in Eric's bed, where the sheets smelled like him.

Eric drove them home without saying much. He was waiting for James to make the next move. "Come with me," James took Eric's hand and led him to the lake. A breeze gushed between them and James shivered. Without hesitating, Eric leaned in closer and started buttoning James' coat for him.

James watched him. "I'm sorry I ran away."

"I didn't say it to hear something back," Eric smiled softly. "I just wanted you to know."

James nodded. "So, you're not angry?"

"No," Eric shook his head. He cupped James' cheeks and his hands were so warm, James was melting. He pressed his own face into his rough hand. Eric said, "James, I don't need a label. I don't need to call you my mate or my boyfriend or any of that. I just want to keep loving you. I want to keep being by your side, if you let me. James, nothing could change the fact that I love you and I'll personally make sure you never feel lonely again."

James took a deep breath, but this time, he couldn't run from Eric's eyes. They pinned him in place and James was more than just weak to it. He was defeated.

Eric said again as if to torture James. "I love you." Slowly, he closed the space between them as he continued to whisper, "I love you. I love you. I love you." His lips finally found James' mouth and brought him into a long kiss. Eric's tongue flicked up James' lips as James clung to his shirt.

They parted and Eric pulled James into a tight embrace. He held the back of James' head. He must have heard or at least felt James' raging heart. James squeezed him and said, "Go. They're waiting for you and you must be itching to shift."

In agreement, Eric nodded and took a step back. Eric said, "I'll be home soon."

"We'll talk more in the morning. Just come home and get into bed, okay?"

"Okay," Eric smiled as if James just took a load off his shoulders. He kissed him one more time before he got back into his car and drove to the main house.

James adjourned to the house and started rifling through the cabinets. He wanted a cup of tea, anything to comfort his aching muscles. He also thought about trying out the bath jets upstairs and really having a comfortable night by himself.

Then, the windows shuddered and James had a sinking feeling. Slowly, he crept closer to the front door. The trees had come alive, thrashing against the violent winds. Night had finally settled, but the sky was full of clouds instead of stars. James crossed his arms and swallowed the fist-sized lump inside his throat.

James wished the man owned a TV or a radio, something to drown out the silence. All he heard was his own heart beat and the rattling windows. The hairs on the back of his neck stood to attention and James hurried back to the kitchen, trying to ignore the dread twisting his stomach.

As if it ripped opened the sky, a wolf cried. Its howl sliced through the night, over the rumble of the threatening thunder. James swallowed, his bones replaced by cement. He couldn't move as more wolves cried out into the night as if answering the first.

James glanced around for his phone. He'll just call Delphine. That'll put his mind at ease.

He reached for his phone, when something rammed the front door. James yelped, jumping out of his skin. He fumbled as the door banged again, but this time the wood cracked. James grabbed the couch, steadying himself. Outside, a creature growled and broke through the front door, blasting it off its hinges. The door spun, clattering to the ground.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa," James sputtered, pressing himself against the back of the couch with his hands out straight. He trembled violently and that just spiked his anxiety.

A wolf three times the size of a normal wolf, a monster leapt into the room. The inky black wolf hunkered down, bearing its rows of sharp teeth, frothing at the mouth. Its growl created ripples in the air and James couldn't breathe.

"Um-" he muttered, when the black wolf snapped at him. Shutting his eyes, James whole body tightened up. He braced for an impact or a bite that never came. James peaked, still waiting for the wolf to attack. This had to be someone from the pack, right? But who? Why were they doing this?

The wolf snapped his head back and forth, but it snarled, unable to find what it was looking for. James narrowed his brow, peering at the wolf's eyes. It's eyes. The wolf took a step forward, growling and it hit James instantly. "Eric? Eric-?" He could hardly speak, his fear squeezing his voice.

By the sound of his name, the wolf snapped again and James jumped. Desperately, he tried pleading with him. James tapped his chest. He had to get through to him. "Eric! It's me! It's me! It's James-"

And yet, Eric lunged at him and James stood, shoving the coach back with him. His legs gave out and he fell down again. Something was wrong. Why wasn't this getting through to him? Eric can see him. See James right in front of him.

James thought, I'm his mate. He shouldn't-

And that was when it hit James. Eric was in wolf-mode. The wolf inside him knew he had a mate, but Eric couldn't find James. He whispered, "You can't smell me." Because James didn't have a smell, Eric assumed something was wrong, that James must have been in-danger.

Closing his eyes again, James squeezed his tears out as he released his smell. It was like flipping a switch. He muttered, his voice trembling, "It's okay. I'm okay." He opened his eyes, but the tears didn't stop. "See? I'm okay. Eric..."

Slowly, the wolf's breathing stabled. Eric dipped his head and his massive shoulders went limp. He whimpered, worry widening his eyes. The wolf bowed his head, edging closer. Automatically, James flinched and pressed his body deeper against the back of the couch.

James only felt Eric's breath at first. Then, Eric the wolf nudged James' shoulder. He persuaded James to relax just enough to open his eyes. James shuddered, unable to stop himself from crying. It had been so long, since he felt so afraid. The wolf whimpered again and turned his back to James. He sat upright, looking at the door. Without noticing, a rain storm begun outside. The gaping door let speckles of water inside and a fierce wind.

Carefully, James made a move to stand, but the wolf snapped his head around. James froze. Carefully, he sat back down and once the wolf turned, James tried it again a little later. Eric, the wolf didn't want him to move. The wolf nudged the middle of James' chest as if to tell him to stay put.

James obeyed. He pulled his legs into his chest and wiped away his tears. Eventually, he managed to calm down and when he did, Eric did too. Exhaustion hit James like a bus and the only way he could manage his headache was to close his eyes. He laid his head down just a moment and the wolf curled beside him. His warmth consumed James, a warmth he recognized and soon, James was lulled to sleep.

Author's Note

Hello! Welcome to a werewolf book! Can you believe this is the first werewolf shift (and it's not even a normal one)? These chapters are just not getting any shorter. Lol.

Oh well.

The fluff had to end some time guys and I'm sorry to leave you on a little cliffhanger. I'm excited for the next chapter so hopefully it comes out soon.

So, tell me what you think is going to happen next? How are the boys going to feel in the morning? James or Eric?

If you want to support my writing (this is great because my office is coffee shops): https://ko-fi.com/missbonnett

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.4K 417 54
SNEAK PEEK "He won't trouble you from now on. Don't worry," Ethan replied in a calm and collected voice. He was speaking as if Alex would suddenly di...
1.4K 148 14
It may have taken centuries, but Alexander is finally comfortable in his own skin and is no longer scared of looking at himself in a mirror. Now he j...
16.3K 2.9K 36
Erik's mate, Katharina, died eighty years ago. Werewolf mates are for life. There are no break-ups or second chances. On the night of the Blood Moon...
16.8K 421 13
Kate's always been an alcoholic. Hates being sober and doesn't dream of love. James is in love with another girl and doesn't want his mate. What wil...