Power ▸ Ron Weasley [1]

By fleetwoodmcs

If there was one thing Ron Weasley would never do, it was associate himself with a Slytherin. Until Konstanti... More

Power
Epigraph
Prologue
I. MINISTRY INVOLVEMENT
II. DETENTION FOR TWO
III. I MUST NOT DISRESPECT
IV. LOVE OF A FAMILY
V. QUESTIONS OF CHOICE
VI. SLYTHERIN PRIDE
VII. DIFFERENCES IN DEMEANOR
VIII. INSECURITIES TENFOLD
IX. TABLES TURNING
X. QUIDDITCH BLUES
XI. DYING MEMORY
XII. JINGLE BELLS
XIII. A GIANT YELLOW LETTER
XIV. UNEXPECTED FRIENDSHIPS
XV. THE BEGINNINGS OF A STORM
XVI. BLACK ROSES
XVII. JEALOUSY REIGNS
XVIII. HAPPINESS FLEETING
XIX. CAUSE OF DEATH
XX. POINT OF SEPARATION
XXI. INK YOUR SKIN
XXII. INEVITABILITY
XXIII. STRONGEST MEMORIES
XXIV. FEAR OF LOVE
XXV. AN OFFICIAL WEASLEY SEND-OFF
XXVI. APRIL THE SECOND
XXVII. WEASLEY IS OUR KING
XXVIII. OCCLUMENS
XXX. SLYTHERIN DUEL
XXXI. DEPARTMENT OF MYSTERIES
XXXII. ANATOMY OF A FAMILY DOWNFALL
XXXIII. ORDER OF THE PHOENIX
XXXIV. NEFARIOUS
XXXV. INTRINSIC GREY
XXXVI. THE LIFE OF ELIZABETH NOTT
XXXVII. UNREQUITED LOVE
XXXVIII. LOVE
EPILOGUE
SEQUEL IS POSTED

XXIX. SECRET WEAPON

51.4K 2.5K 3.1K
By fleetwoodmcs

CHAPTER TWENTY NINE:

SECRET WEAPON

▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪

      Nova had done plenty stupid things in her life, but breaking into Umbridge's office so Harry could talk to Sirius Black had to be at the top of the metaphorical list. She was currently standing guard with Hermione as they waited for Harry. They were anxiously waiting in Umbridge's office for Harry to get whatever information he needed to assure himself that Sirius was okay. 

      "Are you alright, Nova?" Hermione asked quietly, reaching out her hand as if she were going to place it on Nova's shoulder but then retreating quickly. When Nova looked at her, Hermione had tears in her eyes. "Oh, I should have listened to Ron. Asking you to see into Voldemort's mind was incredibly reckless. It's my fault you're not feeling well."

      Nova shook her head, her lips in a thin line. "I didn't try to look into Voldemort's mind." When Hermione gave her a confused look, Nova sighed. "I tried to look into my father's. There was nothing there I didn't already live through. He was cold and cruel when it came to teaching Theo and I Occlumency. He wouldn't let us eat, sleep, or do anything else until we got it right. It took Theo about twelve hours of continuous pain. Breaking into someone's thought processes and altering what they think and what they dream is like breaking open a part of your brain. It took me two days." When she was younger, she used to praise Theo's ability to learn Occlumency so quickly. Now, she knew it was because emotions had to be put on the back burner, and maybe she'd always known she'd never truly be able to do that. 

      "Ron's told me a little about your father," Hermione said softly, as if she knew bringing it up would trigger some kind of unknown reaction in Nova. Outwardly, Nova didn't let anything slip except for the small curling of her lip in a scowl. "He's..."

      "Evil," Nova supplied, her voice cold and calculated. "It took me much too long to realize what he truly was. Muggles have psych...psychilo...psychilogy?"

      "Psychology," Hermione supplied.

      "Right. Muggles have psychology books on what that kind of abuse does to a child. I never knew that it was what he was doing before I visited a Muggle library over winter break. I never understood that what he was doing wasn't normal for other parents. When I saw how Ron talked about Mrs. Weasley and Mr. Weasley... it never registered that that was how parents were supposed to be." The look on Hermione's face suggested pity, but Nova shook her head. "Don't feel bad for me. That's why I joined the D.A. To do something about it. To protect Theo from any more of that harm. Ron thinks he's too far gone." Nova shrugged helplessly. "But I owe it to him to try. I never knew all the ways he shielded me from our father until Blaise mentioned something about just how much Theo had taken over the years." Nova sighed. "I hated that Blaise knew and I didn't."

      "What would he do," Hermione questioned as she shifted uncomfortably, "if he found out that you were helping us? If you were truly on our side?"

      Nova knew the answer, but didn't dare say anything. "I don't know." She moved her hands to run over the skin of her arm. "I hope I don't ever have to find out."

      Suddenly, as if Nova had spoken the magic words, the door to Umbridge's office burst open, revealing a very angry woman clad in nothing but pink with a sour look on her face. This sight didn't make Nova's heart drop, as it might have before. What made her heart drop was the sight of Draco Malfoy and Millicent Bulstrode striding in after Umbridge.

       Nova didn't care much for Bulstrode's opinion, so she felt her eyes scan over her fellow dorm mate and slide to Malfoy, who had a smirk plastered on his face until he realized who it was standing in the room with Harry and Hermione. His face went alarmingly blank as his steps stilled, eyes locked on Nova. She felt his betrayal from the other side of the room, even when Pansy Parkinson rushed into the room and threw Nova's arms behind her, restraining her from being able to grab her wand. Millicent, following her lead, snatched Hermione's arms, but Malfoy was still staring at her as if she had hit him with a Confundus charm.

      "Malfoy," she started, her voice thick with emotion, but there was nothing she could say. No words to offer to make the situation okay. 

      "Don't," he sneered as Umbridge marched over to Harry and pulled his head out of the fireplace. "Just don't, Konstantinova." The use of her full name from Malfoy's mouth made her heart break in two. She remembered telling him once upon a time that she didn't like hearing it because it just reminded her of her father. It was a fact he had seemed to remember, for his eyes flashed with something when she flinched at the full name. 

      "Take their wands," Umbridge ordered and she felt Pansy reach into the waistband of her uniform to collect her wand. "I want to know why you are in my office," she said, her voice so eerily calm that it made Nova want to shiver. With the one hand gripping Harry's head, she shook him as if rattling sense into his brain. 

      "I was - trying to get my Firebolt!" Harry feebly replied.

      "Liar. Your Firebolt is under strict guard in the dungeons, as you very well know, Potter. You had your head in my fire. With whom have you been communicating?" 

      "No one," Harry tried to answer. She gripped his head even harder and Nova saw Harry wince. 

      "You can stop ripping his hair out from the follicles," Nova snapped, unable to keep her lips shut. "You've already caught him."

      Umbridge seemed to take her words as truthful, for she flung her hand and threw Harry away from her, to the other side of the room. Nova watched helplessly as he slammed into Umbridge's desk and struggled against Pansy to get away. However, Nova knew it was no use. Even though she was much more skilled a dueler, Pansy had always been stronger than the scrappy little Nott twin. Nova heard some kind of commotion coming from the door of Umbridge's office and watched as Ron, Ginny, Luna, and Neville Longbottom were brought in by Crabbe, Goyle, Warrington, and a sixth year Slytherin girl Nova knew as Reina DeLeon. Nova knew it was selfish, but she felt her relief like a tidal wave when she realized Theo wasn't among the Slytherins capturing her friends. The relief was quickly squelched when she realized her boyfriend was gagged and tears came to her eyes.

      "Got them all," Warrington said smugly as Ron's eyes found Nova's. He stared at her like he was trying to convey all his feelings into one look. It did nothing but break Nova's heart even more. "That one," Warrington pointed at Neville, "tried to stop me from taking her," he pointed at Ginny, "so I brought him along too."

      Nova struggled in Pansy's grasp again but Pansy tightened her hold. 

      "Good, good," Umbridge said, seemingly getting some kind of sick pleasure as she watched Ginny struggle against Reina. "Well, it looks as though Hogwarts will shortly be a Weasley-free zone, doesn't it?" Pansy let out a snort. Malfoy, who Nova had expected to laugh, was still stony faced and silent. "And Miss Nott. Why am I not surprised to find you here? Your brother is so well-mannered." She reached out a hand and gripped Nova's chin. Nova saw both Ron and Malfoy take a step towards her, however Ron couldn't move much since Warrington had once again taken possession of his arms. "I can see it doesn't run in the family."

      "Don't you dare bring my brother into this," Nova said, her eyes going steely. "Slander the name Nova Nott all you damn well please, but keep my brother's name out of your mouth."

      Umbridge looked like she was going to retort, but seemed to remember that Harry Potter sneaking into her office was a more pressing issue. "So, Potter. You stationed lookouts around my office and you sent this buffoon," she nodded towards Ron and Nova felt murder wouldn't suffice for what pain she wanted inflicted on this woman, "to tell me the poltergeist was wreaking havoc in the Transfiguration department when I knew perfectly well that he was busy smearing ink on the eyepieces of all the school telescopes, Mr. Filch having just informed me so.

      "Clearly, it was very important for you to talk to somebody. Was it Albus Dumbledore? Or the half-breed, Hagrid? I doubt it was Minerva McGonagall, I hear she is still too ill to talk to anyone..."

      White-hot fury. Nova lifted her leg and slammed it rather painfully into Pansy's shin, but Pansy did't even flinch. She seemed to assume that Nova would try to use her feet to kick her beforehand. 

      "It's none of your business who I talk to," Harry snarled out. 

      "Very well, Mr. Potter... I offered you the chance to tell me freely. You refused. I have no alternative but to force you. Draco - fetch Professor Snape." Malfoy was more than happy to oblige, and after shoving Harry's wand in his robes, he disappeared behind Umbridge's door. 

      Silence ensued in Umbridge's office. Nova wanted to reach out and wipe the blood from Ron's lip, to try and offer comfort, but Ron didn't look afraid. He looked like he rather wanted to kill Pansy Parkinson, especially when Nova twisted her hands and Pansy yanked on her arms hard enough to make Nova yelp. Ginny was still trying to kick and stomp on Reina's feet. Neville was turning purple due to the lack of oxygen Crabbe was providing, his thick arm wrapped around Neville's throat. She could see him clawing at Crabbe's arms, trying to promote air to flow into his lungs. Luna was the only one that didn't look at all disturbed by the confrontation, staring in a rather bored manner out the window.

      "You don't have to choke him, Crabbe," Nova said in a harsh tone. Umbridge opened her mouth to reply, but Nova wasn't finished. "Unless you want to be arrested and put in Azkaban for suffocating someone."

      "Shut up, Nott," he sneered, but she noticed that his words seemed to have some effect. He released his hold on Neville's throat just slightly, but it was enough for Neville to take in a shaky breath. He sent Nova a grateful look.

      Nova heard footsteps and saw Professor Snape. He surveyed the scene around him, eyes narrowing slightly when he saw Nova, but otherwise looked the picture of calm and collected. "You wanted to see me, Headmistress?" he asked in his monotonous voice.

      "Ah, Professor Snape. Yes,Iwould like another bottle of Veritaserum, as quick as you can, please."

      "You took my last bottle to interrogate Potter," he said. "Surely you did not use it all? I told you that three drops would be sufficient." Umbridge looked embarrassed and Nova tried to refrain from smirking triumphantly. 

      "You can make some more, can't you?" she asked, her voice becoming more and more sweet. It was a tone Nova had heard her use on the twins a handful of times. She was frustrated.

      "Certainly. It takes a full moon cycle to mature, so I should have it ready for you in around a month."

      "A month?" she cried. "A month? But I need it this evening, Snape! I have just found Potter using my fire to communicate with a person or persons unknown!" 

      "Really?" Snape asked, turning to look towards Harry. "Well, it doesn't surprise me. Potter has never shown much inclination to follow school rules." Nova sneered. Wasn't Hermione always talking about how Professor Snape was secretly on their side? Where was that loyalty now? His loyalty to Dumbledore? He stared at Harry for a moment longer before his eyes swiveled to look at Nova.

      His eyes were saying something. He was staring at her as if he wanted her to give him some sort of sign. It was then she remembered. Snape was an Occlumens. Nova closed her eyes as Umbridge started screaming about how she wanted to interrogate Harry now, concentrating instead on the sound of her own breathing. Nova felt every emotion she'd ever allowed herself to feel drain out of her, as if they were seeping out through her fingertips. The Dark Lord has Sirius Black in a room in the Department of Mysteries. He doesn't have much time. Snape continued to stare at her for a moment before he gave the most subtle of nods. Nova felt relief flow through her. Snape understood.

      "I have already told you that I have no further stocks of Veritaserum. Unless you wish to poison Potter - and I assure you I would have the greatest sympathy with you if you did - I cannot help you. The only trouble is that most venoms act too fast to give the victim much time for truth-telling..."

      "You are on probation!" Umbridge roared. "You are being deliberately unhelpful! I expected better, Lucius Malfoy always speaks most highly of you! Now, get out of my office!"

      Snape bowed, looking like he'd want nothing more than to leave. Nova wanted him to go, to go tell someone what she'd shared with him. She knew he understood. It was then that Harry shouted: "He's got Padfoot! He's got Padfoot at the place where it's hidden!"

      Nova flinched. 

      "Padfoot? What is Padfoot? Where what is hidden? What does he mean, Snape?" Umbridge asked, latching onto the information Harry had provided as if it were a life preserver. Nova was too busy scolding Harry in her brain. If only he hadn't said anything, Snape could be gone and getting help at that very moment. 

      "I have no idea," Snape said coolly. "Potter, when I want nonsense shouted at me I shall give you a Babbling Beverage. And Crabbe," he said, turning to the boy who had once more tightened his hold on Neville's neck, "loosen your hold a little. It Longbottom suffocates, it will mean a lot of tedious paperwork, and I'm afraid I shall have to mention it on your reference if you ever apply for a job." With those parting words, he was gone, slamming Umbridge's door behind him.

      Umbridge looked furious. "Very well," she said, pulling out her wand. "Very well... I am left with no alternative... This is more than a matter of school discipline... This is an issue of Ministry security... Yes... yes..." She stared at Harry as if she were trying to decide something. "You are forcing me, Potter... I do not want to, but sometimes circumstances justify the use... I am sure the Minister will understand that I had no choice..." Nova waited on baited breath to hear what Umbridge was planning on doing. "The Cruciatus Curse ought to loosen your tongue," Umbridge said finally.

      It was silent for a moment. And then, choas. Nova wasn't sure where it came from, but it took her a few minutes to realize that it was coming from her own body. "You bitch!" She screamed, squirming against Pansy with more vigor than ever. Panic was seeping into her bones, panic for Harry. She remembered what that curse felt like, had remembered begging for someone to just end it because of the pain. "How dare you? You can't do this!" Nova screamed, tears streaming down her cheeks. "You'll be arrested! Your precious Minister won't be able to talk you out of being arrested! You think he will? You'd be collateral damage. You'd mean nothing to him if you dare break the rules of the wizarding community."

      It worked. The distraction was enough for Umbridge to turn her wand on Nova, cutting off her line of sight to Harry. "You think you know everything, don't you? You think just because you're on Potter's side that it makes you better than everyone else. You think you know all about the Ministry. Cornelius won't care, you daft girl! He never knew I ordered the dementors after Potter last summer, but he was delighted to be given the chance to expel him, all the same..."

      "It was you? You sent the dementors after me?" Harry asked.

      Umbridge turned her wand back on Harry and Nova struggled in Pansy's grip one more time. "Somebody had to act." Her wand moved until it was resting right against Harry's forehead. "They were all bleating about silencing you somehow - discrediting you - but I was the one who actually did something about it... Only you wriggled out of that one, didn't you, Potter? Not today, though, not now..." She took a deep breath. "Cruc -"

      "NO!" Hermione wailed from behind Millicent. "No - Harry - Harry, we'll have to tell her!"

      "No way!" Harry replied, but Umbridge was now turning to Hermione to see what she was talking about.

     "We'll have to, Harry, she'll force it out of you anyway, what's... what's the point...?" And then Hermione Granger burst into tears loud enough to be heard in London. Millicent stepped away, and Nova remembered that Millicent repelled tears. Whenever Pansy started crying, Millicent would always stand on the opposite side of the room as if tears were a foreign substance that was going to harm her. 

      "Well, well, well!" Umbridge called happily, looking like she had won a contest. "Little Miss Question-All is going to give us some answers! Come on then, girl, come on!"

      "Er-my-nee-no!" Ron shouted over the gag still in his mouth.

      But Nova couldn't repeat his sentiments. The only thing filtering through her brain was that Hermione Granger truly was the smartest person Nova had ever meant. Because while Hermione put on a convincing show, she was doing exactly as Nova had done when she had yelled at Umbridge. She was distracting. She was buying her best friend time and trying to prevent him from feeling the effects of the Cruciatus Curse. 

      "I'm - I'm sorry everyone," she said. "But - I can't stand it -"

      "That's right, that's right, girl!" Umbridge said, snatching Hermione from Millicent and shaking her shoulders. "Now then... with whom was Potter communicating just now?"

      "Hermione," Nova said warningly to make the entire scenario seem more convincing. Malfoy sneered when Nova spoke Hermione's name, as if it were a sin to address someone by the name they were born with. 

      "Well, he was trying to speak to Professor Dumbledore..."

      "Dumbledore?" Umbridge asked, latching onto that small piece of information as if Hermione was her savior. "You know where Dumbledore is, then?" She shook Hermione's shoulders once more as if the action would make the words fall out of Hermione's mouth even faster.

      "Well...no!" Hermione sobbed. "We've tried the Leaky Cauldron in Diagon Alley and the Three Broomsticks and even the Hog's Head -"

      "Idiot girl!" Umbridge interrupted, shaking Hermione once more. "Dumbledore won't be sitting in a pub when the whole Ministry's looking for him!" She looked angry and frustrated, like Hermione may not be her savior after all. Nova opened her mouth to intervene, but stopped when she heard Hermione start speaking once again.

      "But - but we needed to tell him something important!" Hermione covered her face with her hands and let out another wail. Nova's eyes flickered to Ron, who had his eyes locked on not his best friend, but on his girlfriend. They lowered to Pansy's grip on Nova's hands and flashed with annoyance, but Nova shook her head.

      "Yes?" Umbridge was revived as if someone had hit her with a bolt of lightning. "What was it you wanted to tell him?"

      "We... we wanted to tell him it's r-ready!"

      "What's ready?" She greedily grabbed Hermione's shoulders once more and got close enough to Hermione to cause the girl to squirm. "What's ready, girl?"

      "The... the weapon."

      This little piece of information seemed as precious to Umbridge as a newborn baby's life. "Weapon?" she said, mostly to herself before she looked at Hermione to clarify. "Weapon?" Umbridge's eyes lit up with excitement. "You have been developing some method of resistance? A weapon you could use against the Ministry? On Professor Dumbledore's orders, of course?"

      "Y-y-yes," Hermione stuttered out, still pretending to sob. "But he had to leave before it was finished and n-n-now we've finished it for him, and we c-c-can't find him t-t-to tell him!"

      "What kind of weapon is it?" Umbridge asked harshly, unable to deal with Hermione's gasping cries. "What does it do?"

      "We don't r-r-really understand it," Hermione replied, sniffing for effect. "We j-j-just did what P-P-Professor Dumbledore told us t-t-to do..."

      "You!" Umbridge said, suddenly turning to Nova as if she had all the answers in the world. "You can tell me about this weapon without turning into a blubbering mess. What is it? Where is it? What does it do?"

      Nova stared at Umbridge stoically. Ron was struggling against Warrington's grip and making ferocious noises at his captor, but Nova was staring at Umbridge as if she'd never be scared of her in her lifetime. Nova saw Hermione shoot Nova a panicked look, but Nova knew how to pretend. She'd been pretending all her life.

      "The weapon is part of a two-step plan. You didn't honestly think Dumbledore would have one measly weapon to defeat the Ministry of Magic, did you?" Nova shook her head, as if disgusted. "Dumbledore put Harry and Hermione in charge of the weapon. I was in charge of the modified Floo Powder, which Dumbledore was going to have me distribute in the Ministry. It was charmed with a powerful Memory Modifying charm, so he could convince the entire Ministry that Voldemort was really back. That's the only part I had in this. The specialized powder is probably with the weapon. I don't know where Harry and Hermione put the weapon," Nova finished.

      "Yes! Yes, this is good. Dumbledore thought he'd fool the Ministry with simple Floo Powder, did he?" Umbridge marched back to where Hermione was sitting. "Lead me to the weapon."

      "I'm not showing... them," Hermione said, gesturing to the Slytherins in the room.

      "It is not for you to set conditions," Professor Umbridge snapped.

      "Fine!" Hermione sobbed into her hands again. "Fine... let them see it, I hope they use it on you! In fact, I wish you'd invite loads and loads of people to come and see! Th-that would serve you right - oh,I'd love it if the wh-whole school knew where it was, and how to u-use it, and then if you annoy any of them they'll be able to s-sort you out!"

      Umbridge looked back and forth between Hermione and the Slytherins. Malfoy was leaning in, unknowingly being drawn by Hermione's words of a powerful weapon that could destroy enemies. Pansy sniffed from behind Nova, and Nova could tell that she too was buying Hermione's words. Umbridge seemed to consider for a moment before she nodded.

      "All right, dear, let's make it just you and me... and we'll take Potter too, shall we? Get up, now -"

      "Professor," Malfoy said eagerly, "Professor Umbridge, I think some of the squad should come with you to look after -"

      "I am a fully qualified Ministry official, Malfoy, do you really think I cannot manage two wandless teenagers alone?" she snapped. "In any case, it does not sound as though this weapon is something that schoolchildren should see. You will remain here until I return and make sure none of these -" she gestured to the rest of the students being held by Slytherins - "escape."

      "All right," Malfoy agreed, disappointed. 

      "And you two can go ahead of me and show me the way," Umbridge said, pointing at Harry and Hermione with her wand. "Lead on..."

      Nova watched the two of them leave Umbridge's office. Her heart was beating wildly in her chest, hoping that Hermione and Harry were able to pull off whatever Hermione had planned. Now that things were silent in Umbridge's office, she saw Malfoy stare at her for a moment before he shook his head and looked away.

      "Malfoy," Nova said quietly, "you know why I did this. You know I would do anything to protect Theo. You know that. It was all I used to talk about, keeping Theo from becoming a Death Eater. He's too young, you know that too." Malfoy wasn't facing her, but she could see his shoulders tensing at her words. "I didn't mean to hurt you. I didn't mean to hurt anyone. But I would protect my brother with my life. I would protect my friends with my life."

      "We used to be friends," he said icily. Nova wanted to reach out and grab his shoulder, comfort him, but she couldn't. Pansy was still holding her arms as if she'd never let them go. "You think me pretty stupid, don't you? You don't think I don't know what was going on with you?" he turned suddenly, harshly enough that Ron struggled in Warrington's grasp once more. "I knew exactly what you were doing. I was hoping, praying you'd come to your senses. I knew you wanted to protect Theo. I thought that's what all of this was, what all of it was for." He sneered. "Then, I found out about you and Weasel. And I knew it would never just be about protecting Theo. Do you actually care for him, Nova? Tell me that. Look me in the eye and tell me the truth."

      Nova had tears in her eyes as she stared at Draco. He was staring at her expectantly. "I'm so sorry, Draco," she whispered. "I'm in love with him."

      The room went silent at her confession. Ron, who was struggling to escape, fell slack in Warrington's arms as his eyes locked on her. Ginny's mouth had fallen open and she was staring at Nova as if she had grown two heads. But Nova was only focused on Draco, on the defeated look that crossed his face before he sneered at her.

      "Guess you aren't the ice princess after all."

      Then, he reached out and punched Ron in his already bleeding lip.

  ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪  

DAMN LOOK AT THIS CHAPTER LOTS OF SHIT HAPPENING UP IN HERE

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

361 48 20
"Remember the rules Padfoot.. you can't do anything about your feelings" "It shouldn't be this complicated" ... in which sirius black breaks the most...
72.7K 2K 18
"I mean you own a dragon for goodness sake!" "Well first off, I don't own a dragon." *Prisoner of Azkaban* *Book 1* *Fred Weasley*
840 55 4
he was doing lines, and crossing all of mine. theodore nott x fem!oc oot...
247K 3.7K 15
title says it all, hope you enjoy x