What Life Holds

By LifeCreatorsx3

Alice is a girl full of positive energy, who awaits to experience college life and ready to kick down any obs... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98

Chapter 15

241 25 341
By LifeCreatorsx3

Notes:

Additional Cast:

Frances Fisher  as Abigail Fitzgerald

Alice's POV

Faster faster faster... I need to run faster to maintain my endurance at my highest level. I can't become rusty because I am at college and my class and studying schedule is messed up. I prefer jogging outside, because it was something I used to do with my father, so he cοuld help me build a physical fitness and apart from that, I like watching the scenery changing. Running on a treadmill is dull, but the weather looks like it's going to rain, so better be safe than sorry.

I already feel my workout clothes sweat, a black sports bra and tights. As I run I take my white towel, hung on the treadmill's right arm, to sweep my belly carefully-because of the bellybutton piercing, and my face. I must have been running for 15 minutes by now, but I want to keep going.

The past couple of days haven't been exactly easy for me. To be honest, the past couple of weeks were a complete torture and it's all because of him. He's literally everywhere I go and I don't know how I haven't killed him yet. Everytime we come face to face, I just want to rip out that stupid, arrogant, cocky smile that lights his face in our every encounter. Since the library incident aka the worst day of my life, (generally all our meetings hit the list of the worst days of my life) I have to put up with this jerk for 2 evenings doing chores there. I have no idea how we didn't tear the building down since he managed to get to me again. We were quite nice and civilised in the beginning-except the non-speaking part-which was really bizarre and I thought I was in a parallel universe, but he brought me back to reality with his own unique way.

I wish it was over, but unfortunately I have to see him again later this evening for our last day. I am sure that I will hit him with a book on the head, that big English dictionary that I have detected. Maybe I will be lucky enough and he will learn some decent vocabulary. On the other hand, when I am with him, I feel it like a challenge. I have this impulsive need to return his quips, irritate him as much as I can and anticipate his next snarky comment. Also, it's spinning in my head, that last thing he said to me. Why did he mean by that? That man will make me a lunatic, and I have to stop thinking about him in any way. I turn up the volume of my iPhone, in order to not listen to my thoughts. "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger" is on by Kelly Clarkson and I enjoy the irony of that. Well said, Kelly.

I look around a bit just to gaze the place and the people around me. It's 6pm and it's obviously the peak hours, since the gym is full of people working out. The place is huge and it has all the the appropriate equipment. Above my head, there are televisions and I see people lifting weights across the room. The gym has glass instead of walls and it has two more floors. One for group training, and the other with the boxing equipment where I intend to go afterwards.

I am getting off the treadmill and I remove my headphones to sweep my face again, and then I see a slim, blonde girl,with black sports bra and shorts coming towards me with a smile on her face.

"Hello." she says once she is in front of me.

"Hey!" I answer, feeling unprepared as I didn't expect she would talk to me.

"I don't want to sound cheesy or anything, but I couldn't take my eyes off of you. You are very pretty, and I am very interested. I am Robin." She says smiling, stretching her hand for a handshake.

I shake her hand. "Thank you! Wow, setting a target and hitting it. I like your style." I smile back at her. "But... sorry to disappoint you, but I am not a player of this side of court." I grimace and gesture, trying not to offend her "But if I was, I would totally do something with you" I wink.

"In that case, let me lose my flirt mood and get my friend mood on. Hello there, interesting friend. I am Robin."

"I am Alice. Nice to meet you"

"I haven't seen you around. Freshman? I am a sophomore."

"Yeah. I've been here for two weeks so I need to get to know more people. I can't stand being in my room and studying all day. I prefer going out and you know... live"

"I do like your motto there. You are so right! I hate it too. Something tells me you and I can be good friends. Sorry I made a move on you, but I had to try, you never know these days." she smirks shrugging her shoulders.

I laugh. "If you don't try, you will never find out. I must say, I felt really flattered, first by the action and second that such a sexy girl made a move on me. How much do the boys cry when they find out?" I say and release my hair to make it a better ponytail.

"I have to admit that my male friends do envy me, but I try not to be a player in front of them. I hate to make them feel like losers." she laughs.

"So kind of you" I emphasize "But to be honest, I would do it just to piss them off." I fake an evil laugh. "They have to learn how to lose, because some of them are too persistent. Anyway all the things have their cons and pros..."

Suddenly, something catches my attention and I widen my eyes.

"Speak of the devil! Look at that hottie over there who's exercising his triceps with the rope! What an amazing ass!" I point my eyes to him, a dark haired tall guy with a well-built body, so she can understand who I am talking about and I just can't help it but stare. I am woman and I can admire something when it is really good. Men do it in broad daylight! Why not us? We have eyes too.

"You do realise that as a lesbian I do not find male butts sexy, right?" she laughs and gets on the treadmill. She puts a white towel round her neck and then "Yo, Nathan, nice ass!" She yells and I freeze on my spot, from the astonishment.

I awkwardly laugh a bit and turn with a quizzical expression to look at Robin, who is laughing hysterically.

"What the fuck, Ro." He turns around with an annoyed look.

"Well don't blame me, bruh, you have a very cute butt. My friend here is drooling!" Robin points at me.

"Why do you underrate it? I said amazing, not cute!" I roll my eyes.

"Oh, I'd rather take that compliment. Ro, you can't say to a guy that he has a cute butt. You don't have it girl, stay on your team. And thank you, um your name?" he approaches us all sweaty.

"Well, sorry for calling your ass cute. I get confused with all the cute girl butts I have encountered. And my team is better than yours!" Robin chimes in before I utter a word.

"Every time the same old shit. Just shut up, Ro." He says rolling his eyes. By the way they are teasing each other, they must be close friends. "So, you are?" he asks me once again.

"I am Alice! And yeah, you have a 10 back there!" I tease him, since I am caught on the act. He looks like he can take a light tease. "You?"

"Well, I try to do my best." He smirks looking at his precious behind and Robin rolls her eyes. "I am Nathan, nice to meet you."

Nathan? Could that be Vanessa's Nathan? Nah... There must be about 100 Nathans in the campus. Plus Vanessa's Nathan was a big dick and this seems like a really nice guy.

"Nice to meet you, too. So how do you know each other? Are you a sophomore too?" I ask him.

"Unfortunately, I've met her my first week here. I've saved her ass" Nathan says and puts his hand on Robin's mouth before she speaks. "She's a real teaser and babbler but she's fun to hang around most of the time." Robin is mimicking him. "I am a freshman, you?"

"Really? She doesn't look like the type who needs her ass saved" I observe.

"He is exaggerating! My bicycle had a flat tyre and he stopped with his car to help me. He drove me home and he thinks that this is saving. Puff, men." she shakes her hand punching his shoulder.

"Remind me to not do this again. So, Alice, what are you studying?"

"I am interested in Linguistics! So all my classes are about languages and their roots. It helps that I speak five." I brag a bit and giggle. "You? I see you can lift a lot of pounds there... Let me guess... sports?"

"Look at that! Aren't you a smarty? Yeap, I also play for the college basketball team."

"Really? It takes a lot of effort to be chosen for a college team. Good job. When is your next game?"

"We are playing against the Timberwolves on the 1st week of November, actually. They're a pretty good team and right now, we are working our asses off at practice. I will be waiting for you, right?" He says, wiping the sweat from his forehead with a towel.

"Of course I'll be there! I'll probably come with Robin, but I'll remember to keep my mouth shut near her." I say and I give her a playful look.

"Well, if you have a cute friend, maybe you can bring her too, and maybe I will get lucky? Just a thought." Robin says with a grin and a hopeful look.

"I've met some girls in class, but sorry... Also there is my roomie, and a friend of hers, but I don't think so either. Not to mention that her friend looked kind of snooty and weirdo. Not a good match for you." I tell her with my index on my head, thinking of cute girls. Well, the definition that I give to a cute girl. "Too bad we are not in Europe. I know plenty there."

"This one over here always complains, but doesn't need any help really. Her charms do her well." Nathan pushes Robin's shoulder as she pinches his cheek and gives him a kiss there. "Now, give me 10 bucks for advertising you." he tells her playfully and I can't help it but laugh a bit.

"Ooh, aren't you the cheapest pimp ever? I will buy you dinner tomorrow, now go work on that fine ass. Ciao!"

"Yeah! Don't rest on your laurels, just because you heard a couple of compliments. Keep it so you can lighten our moods." I tease him and he laughs. "Goodbye, nice meeting you"

"Goodbye girls. Nice meeting you too Alice! See you around" He says and turns his back to go on with his exercise.

I turn to Robin and say "Such a nice guy!"

"Yep, that's Nathan. He is a really nice kid, you will see."

"Robin I gotta go now. I have to practice my kicks." I wink at her. "But let's exchange phone numbers to catch up." I suggest, because I really want to hang out with her again. She's so cheerful and fun.

"Sure thing, miss Alice. Give me your phone." I hand her over my phone and she puts her contact on it.

"Great! See you!"I tell her and I direct to the stairs to go on the 2nd floor.

It was so nice meeting these two people. They really cheered me up, because in about one hour I will be stuck with Joseph again and that is a total mood killer. I will give all my energy now and kick this sack of box. I might imagine that it's Joseph and that idea makes me chuckle.

Joseph's POV

I walk through the campus to go to the library for my second and finally last chore day with Her Highness, Princess Alice. That girl is a real pain in the ass for me. I tried to be a gentleman and help her with her problem, but somehow I am stuck with her snob ass, which I have to admit, it's not that bad. Maybe if she wasn't so freaking annoying and didn't have an answer for everything, I might possibly do her a favor and sleep with her.

Yesterday I was so pissed, because I could have my evening free to go out, to play LOL and to get a really good fuck, but instead of that, I had to tidy the fucking library, with that obnoxious twit. That's why I decided to ignore her and get the day over with, but no. She came there like the tornado she is, and her freaking long brown hair waving and tried to talk to me. I have to admit, her attempts were so amusing, and then she totally cracked me with her absurd and imaginative ghost theory. Well, it was a good effort, but I will never admit that in front of her.

Without realising it, I am out of the library building. The weather has gotten worse since morning and it's much colder now, so I get in quickly. I run up the stairs and I enter the library room. The reincarnation of Maleficent aka Μs. Fitzgerald, who just raised her wrinkled head to look who's come into, is here, but Alice is not.

"Are you taking shifts on who is going to be late?" she asks me judgmentally through her square glasses.

I would answer 'Bite me', but I don't want to be buried here. Yesterday, she lectured me, because I was late for 5 minutes, but I didn't really pay attention. I was imagining girls with bikinis, because I didn't want to have nightmares by her sight. That termagant should have been grateful that I fixed the computer, whose antivirus programs weren't even updated, so it wasn't entirely Alice's stupidity.

"No, we are playing it rock-paper-scissors" I answer with a smirk, but she didn't find my answer quite amusing as I did.

"Mr. Nelson, have you always been such a quipster?" she inquires me fixing her glasses.

"I can't answer that question myself, because it wouldn't be an objective opinion. My grandma says I have the best sense of humor in the family. I am not sure if that covers you though" I quip and I know I am pushing this too far, but that crone is messing with my nerves.

Suddenly, the door opens and a breathless Alice comes in. Her long hair is in waves and she's wearing a distressed pair of blue jeans with a white blouse, a black jacket and all star white shoes. She has not put any make up, unlike all the girls I know-well except Sophie ,but Sophie is a category on her own.

Ms. Fitzgerald beats Alice in speaking first. "You are late" She shows her watch with her index.

"Only for 2 minutes" she huffs. "I came as quickly as possible". Her cheeks are red by the blood pressure.

"Anyway, off you go and do your job." she commands. "I will stay here to make sure you won't be loafing around" She gives a hateful glance at me.

Alice obeys, which I find strange since it's not her style. I believe grumbling is her second nature. She gives me an intense look I can't decode, and goes straight to pick up the first books she finds.

An hour later, we are almost done. I think there are about 20 more books to be put away. All this time, I didn't exchange a word with Alice. She was observing me in the distance and when I felt her look on me, I raised my eyes to meet hers. Then she looked away at once. I was really enjoying doing this to her, but I have to admit, I was curious to look at her as well. As I was observing her, I couldn't ignore that, for a big mouth, she has a hell of a body. She's buff enough, but without losing her femininity. She has amazing curves on the right spots. God, why I am looking at her like this? Maybe because I am stuck in this fucking library 2 evenings back to back without any other female company other than a slummy, who-knows-how-many-years old woman with dentures, and a loudmouth and knucklehead girl.

After a while, the reception phone rings.

"Borrowing section of SCU Library." Μs. Fitzgerald answers with her deadpan voice, which echoes in the whole room. "Alright I am coming!" she hangs up.

"You two, your attention!" We turn to look at her and I roll my eyes. With the corner of my eye, I see Alice doing the same. "I'll be gone for a few minutes. You will stay here until I come back, and it will be in your best interest to find the books in their places when I return" she gives orders like a general and her index moves from me to Alice and backwards. After her performance, she leaves with her black shoes ticking on the smooth marbled floor.

Alice keeps on doing her job, without saying anything. She's giving the taste of my own medicine, yet she dares to say I am the immature one.

"Following my methods I see" I say following her.

She stops to give me a deathly glare and answers. "I would never be following your stupid methods. Only if I ever wanted to be poxy and a pain in the ass. I just want to get over with it."

As much as her replies irritate me, they amuse me too. She's the first girl who's talking to me like that. I am used to having the chicks under my spell by throwing them only one look, but she's completely something else. I just can't figure her out.

"You hurt my feelings now" I say trying to look sad by her words and she rolls her eyes.

"I didn't know you have any" she shoots back.

"Well, I do, and I have to inform you they are very delicate" I smirk and I am going closer to her. I do that because I get the feeling I get to intimidate her like that, but I am not sure. I am not sure about anything with this girl, and that drives me nuts.

"I see. So you're watching The Notebook and you cry." she quips and she crosses her arms. She stands straight and she doesn't even blink, while all the girls are melting when I am that close to them.

I grimace to her answer.

"Really? The Notebook? You couldn't come up with something less mainstream? I should have figured it out that you were that cheesy" Her eyes darken and I see her losing a bit of her self control.

"I went for the cheesy one, because you are not something exquisite."

What did she say? Girl, you have no idea.

"Spend one night with me and I am sure your view will change. Not to mention your world." I smirk and trying not to spit, because that last sentence really got me crossed.

"Don't confuse me with your bimbos! There's not the slightest chance of me sleeping with you! Not in a million years! Not EVER!" she shouts, grabbing 4 heavy books and moving to the Chemistry section.

Alice POV

Who does he think he is? A fusion of Brad Pitt, Robert Downey Jr. and Jensen Ackles? I was so eager to hit him with this heavy 500 pages book of 'Organic Chemistry', which is on the top of my stack.

After I find the Chemistry section I touch the letters on the screen's keyboard to write the titles of the books. It appears they have to be put on the top shelves, for which I need the ladder. As I turn, I see Joseph's annoying face next to me.

"Why are you following me?" I bawl at him.

"Let me inform you, you're not the centre of everything. I have some books for that section too." he says, raising two Biochemistry books.

"Fine! Just stay away from me!" I warn him.

"I don't wish to breathe your toxic aura, so don't worry."

I ignore him and I start climbing the ladder with an armful of books.

"Are you going to climb like this?" his irritating voice asks.

"Yes! Do you have any objection?"

"Well, why don't you leave some for it be easier for you?" he asks again.

"Why do you care what's easier for me? I just want to be done with you and this stupid slavery situation sooner than later." I snap. I know what I am doing it's kind of reckless, but I am so stubborn. I know I can do it and after that, I am free to leave. That thought is a real pusher.

"Fine! Don't expect me to help you. Helping you did no good to me so far. Also, I am respecting your boundaries orders." he informs me.

"Good! Now shut up, you're distracting me! And don't even dare say another stupid quip, because I am going to throw these books on your head."

The corner of my eye catches him to open his mouth in order to say something, but after hearing me, he does the zip gesture with a grin.

So let's see... That book goes there, the second one goes here in front of me, that a little over there and the last one is going much further. Damn, I can't reach very well! I try again.

"Why are you so fucking stubborn?" he speaks again and I see that he's supporting his body to a bookcase near the ladder with his arms crossed, looking high towards me.

"I thought you would shut up" I scold him, still trying to put the book in its place.

"I can't stop the commentary to this hilarious performance." he jokes and I am sure he's smiling. So fucking sure!

"Just bite me" I bawl at him as I make another attempt. This time, I raise myself a little higher by putting pressure on my toes. I stretch my whole body, and my right hand that holds the book. Then everything happens in milliseconds.

My legs start to tremble and I lose my balance. I am trying to find something to catch myself but all I find is thin air and I feel the gravity pulling me down. I close my eyes tight and I let myself in the fall, because all I wait is to feel a freaking pain and my body to be shattered on the cold floor. Suddenly I feel something warm wrap up around me and two hands catch me underneath my knees and my back.

I open my eyes and the first thing that I see is two hazel blue eyes looking right through mine full of concern. Then I realize that my rescuer is the person I was bickering with earlier, Joseph. He's hugging me tight and really close to him. My arm is around his neck and my whole body is attached to his. My eyes can't leave his and I observe for the first time how beautiful they are. This hazel colour is magnificent. All I can feel is electricity running through my body. It has to be because of the shock, and not because I am that close to him. Yes, that must be it.

"Are you alright?" he asks really worried and it's the first time I see him without his arrogant attitude. He still holds me.

"Yeah I think!"I mumble still shaken from what happened.

"Are you sure? Do you feel pain anywhere?" He walks with me in his arms and lets me down when he finds a chair for me to sit.

When I sit, I try to feel my body and see if I am hurt, but I don't feel any pain.

"Yeah I am fine!" I drawl. "Thank you" I raise my head and my eyes meet his.

"Why did you act so recklessly? Are you an idiot?" he starts yelling at me. "I told you it was not a good idea, but still you went for it. What would have happened if I was not there?"

"Maybe I wouldn't have fallen." I blurt out. He looks at me like I was speaking another language and then he burns up. I know he just saved me and I should owe him, but picking a fight with him always seems like the default choice and the words came out without realising it.

"What did you say?"he looks at me completely puzzled.

"It was largely my fault, because I did that stupid thing, but you had a slight part in that too. Your comments made me lose my focus." I say with a flat voice.

"I just happened to save your ass and that's the second time I am doing that." he spits and he's more angry than he was with the computer malfunction.

"I said thank you! If you're not satisfied with that, just send me a check with a costing of your assistance services." I say, still looking at him and I believe that our eyes could burn each other.

"You are unbelievable! Your stubbornness has no limits, has it?" he exasperates.

"Fine! I did a stupid thing and you saved my ass! You are my guardian angel and my rescuer. My life will always be in your debt. How can I ever repay you?" I say sarcastically. "Happy now?"

He stays still and his eyes examine me carefully.

"Just add the word handsome before guardian and the phrase with a God's body after rescuer and I think your apology would be perfect." he smirks.

"I am not doing that!" I snap.

"Alice, we were making a progress here. You know you are wrong even if you never admit it, but this is a huge step for your character development and our personal relationship." he smirks and I know he's amused by this way too much. Yet I know he did save me, and snapping at him wasn't really mature on my behalf, but next to him the slightest hints of logic that I have fade away.

I stay silent to think about it. It's really humiliating, but Ι made my bed and even if I would never admit it, he saved me big time and twice. But why does it have to be him?After my inner struggling, I give him my response,I will hate for as long as I am alive.

"Fine I will do you the favor, but if I find out that you told anyone about this I will torture you first and then kill you."I threaten him giving him a deathly glare.

He brings his two index fingers together shaping a cross and kisses them with a cunning and playful face.

"Happy?" he tells me.

"Not yet! Your phone on the table, so I can see you're not recording me." I demand with a straight voice and the killing look doesn't leave my face.

"Are you serious?" he looks down on me.

"Dead serious. I can't trust a pervert mind like yours"

"Ok" he surrenders and he takes his phone out of his jeans' pocket and puts it on the table. I turn it off and he chuckles to my action.

"Everything's done, FBI agent?" he asks me with a grin and my reply is another deathly glare.

"Let's get over with it!"I hiss and he nods as a permission to talk.

"I did a stupid thing and you saved my ass!" I pause and I see him longing and I want to punch him. "You are my *heavy breath* handsome guardian angel" I mumble a bit "and my rescuer *heavy breath* with a *heavy breath* God's body."I huff. I am halfway there.

"My life will always be in your debt. How can I ever repay you?" I finish in a straight voice the fastest way I can and I think I am going to puke.

"Great, was it that hard?" he raises his eyebrow.

"I have to wash my mouth with holy water now."

He chortles and adds. "There's room for enhancements though. Maybe the word master in the end?"

"You're pushing it too far" I warn him.

"Ok, it was excellent for a first try. Next time, I would like it with more enthusiasm, but well done, Alice!" he cheers with a smirk and I am ready to start kicking his ass.

Suddenly, we hear the door opening and Ms. Fitzgerald getting inside. He was saved by the library rotten ghost.

We both turn to look at her. She supervises the place and after that, she comes closer to us.

"Everything looks fine. You're free to leave. Remember not to repeat your indiscretions, because my assistants were really thrilled to finish their work earlier. I am sure they will anticipate for the next time." she warns us with a judgemental look.

"We will keep that in mind" I say, while Joseph stays silent.

The moment we are out of the room and we are moving towards the library exit, Joseph breaks the silent.

"How come you didn't blurt anything to Ms. Evil Witch? Recklessness is your way to live" he wonders and I know he's being ironic, and I eyeroll.

"I had such a trouble with that wrinkled woman to last for an eternity" I acknowledge walking down the stairs next to him.

"So you are not that fearless!" he ascertains.

My eyes widen in surprise.

"No one can stay fearless after meeting Ms. Fitz"

"You have a point. However, playing with fire seems to be your favourite game, and you know at the end, you might get burnt" I stop and he does the same after he sees me stop.

"You are the fire?"

"I was generally speaking, but thank you for admitting that I am hot. You finally came around" he smirks and that cocky smile finds its position to his place.

"Well, I have to tell you that I don't mind playing with fire, because I can tame it. And if you think you're hot enough to burn me, then you're hallucinating." I declare to him with a smirk.

"I like to set my goals high" he announces.

"That goal is off your limits, so don't even bother trying" I announce back with an intense look.

After saying that, I pick up the pace and leave him behind. Fortunately, he didn't follow me.

His words are spinning into my head. I am not going to be intimidated by him. I am not like the girls he gets used to charming and sleeping with. As he said when he found out my name, hurricanes always come with a cute one.

A/N: Thanks for reading. Any feedback is welcome

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

528K 11.4K 45
PUBLISHED - Link in bio 💕 The summer after her sophomore year in college, Mia takes time to heal after a failed relationship. In an attempt to move...
9.4K 1.1K 129
This story is my happy place; I do not plan on ever finishing it. It will go on and on like a soapie. Might break it up into volumes later. "Grab a b...
1.6M 45.8K 69
SEQUEL to THE COACH'S DAUGHTER. Complete. One fateful night changed it all. Since being thrown in each other's worlds, Amelia and Zack have jumped ov...
18K 1.7K 39
"I want how it was before. I want it all with you in my life again... I'm asking you to stay." Miles Cobain-Smith An aloof and detached logician, he...