Remember the Time

By historynerd0401

{1996 - 2001} Marriage... Sounds like bliss to Michael and Mariah after the events of the past six years, but... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117

Chapter 97

668 23 34
By historynerd0401

January 7th, 2000

A week had gone by since the party and Michael was still recovering from what Janet described as a 'Level 13 emotional breakdown'. The woman took it upon herself to gather the family at Neverland to take care of their brother. Marlon arrived from Atlanta earlier that morning, full well knowing he could possibly be in California for the next month if Michael was as bad as Janet suggested.

"It's pretty bad this time, y'all. He looks like the crypt keeper." Janet explained.

Rebbie slowly shook her head. "We should get him to a hospital."

"They'd put him in an institution." Randy commented.

"Well they don't have to know why he's there. Just as long as they get him on an IV." Rebbie rebutted.

"You think they wouldn't do a psych test?" Randy questioned. "Do you really think that, Rebbie?"

Rebbie massaged her temples. "Look, I don't know, okay? I'm just suggesting something. I mean if he won't even eat-"

"Can you all keep your voices down?" Janet started. "He can hear you."

Jackie huffed. "He doesn't need to be going through this. He's got three kids."

"He can't help it, Jackie." Marlon remarked.

"That's right." Latoya interrupted. "He's not askin for it. You know he needs help."

"That's not even what I'm saying!" Jackie shouted. Janet cut him a look and he promptly lowered his voice to a whisper. "What I'm saying is, I wish he could get better for them babies."

"He needs to get better for himself." Rebbie said.

"Well that'll only happen if we help him the way he needs to be helped." Janet replied.

Jermaine butted in. "Well that can't happen if we don't even know why he's like this."

Rebbie took a deep sigh.

"I'm gonna go up there and find out."

Marlon noticed Janet's eyes widen in fear and sent her a look that read 'what do you know?'

Rebbie jumped up from her place on the rocking chair and stormed up the stairs to the second floor of the master suite.

Tito came into the room with a sandwich in his hand, Mariah right behind him with a tray of food and beverages.

"You guys hungry?" Mariah asked.

"Sure." Marlon spoke up.

Mariah sat the tray down on the nightstand. "Take what you like."

Marlon and Randy rushed over to the tray while Mariah plopped down on the bed.

"Any news?" She asked.

Marlon bit down into his sandwich, making his way back over to his chair.

Janet shook her head. "Nah, Rebbie just went up there."

"What about the girls?" Latoya asked. "They sleep?"

Mariah nodded. "It's hard to get them to sleep now. They just wanna see Michael all day. 'Where daddy? Where daddy?' they ask me. And I don't know what to say. 'Daddy's sleepy right now, he has a cold.' They still wanna see him."

Marlon put his sandwich down on the paper towel in his lap. "Have they seen him at all?"

Mariah shook her head. "I really don't want them seeing their dad like that."

Janet, the only person besides Mariah and now Rebbie that had seen him, spoke up. "I understand. They don't need to see him like that."

"Gosh, is it that bad?" Latoya questioned.

Janet raised concerned eyebrows.

"And Mariah you don't have no idea what's going on?" Jermaine asked.

"No. This is only the second time this has ever happened. And the first time it wasn't nearly as bad as it is now." Mariah explained.

Jermaine sighed. "Well what happened the first time?"

Mariah narrowed her eyes. "You called me a whore, remember?"

"I don't remember calling you no whore."

Yeah you did... Marlon thought.

Mariah elaborated. "Right after me and Michael got married you and Rebbie, and even Kate, couldn't stand me. You guys tried to make Michael hate me."

"I don't remember that. And even if I did you've done some questionable things." Jermaine said.

Mariah rolled her eyes.

Jermaine continued. "I'm just saying, don't act all surprised. You dropped to your knees in front of a room full of people and begged my brother to have sex with you."

Marlon took a long sip of his iced tea. Yeah...that shit was wild.

"Really, you're gonna bring that up?" Mariah replied, annoyed.

"Okay, we're not doing this right now. My brother is up there suffering, now is not the time to be petty." Janet interjected.

"I agree with Janet." Marlon chimed in. "Y'all need to be focused. Especially y'all."

"Mike don't want nothin to do with me." Jermaine responded.

"That's not true." Janet corrected. "He reminisces about you guys all the time. He loves you."

Jermaine frowned. "Yeah, I don't know about that."

Well maybe if you stopped trying to control him...

Janet unfolded her arms. "Jermaine, he loves you. He admires you a lot-"

Tito let out a snicker. Jermaine grimaced at him.

"What?" Tito asked. "I just don't see why, of all people, he'd look up to you."

In the style of her favorite brother, Janet crossed her eyes. "Okay, Tito-"

"I mean come on. I can see Marlon, and hell even Jackie. But Jerms? He's a walking bad decision." Tito explained.

Jermaine rested his head on his hand, clearly trying to ignore Tito.

Tito continued. "You ain't done nothing but make him like this."

"Tito, that's enough." Latoya shouted.

"Oh so suddenly don't nobody wanna agree with me? We just gonna pretend like Grease Slick ain't done nothin to Mike?" Tito questioned. "That's why he beat yo ass at that damn hospital."

Jackie rubbed his eyebrow. "You have been competing with him since the day Joseph let him in the band."

"Oh so what is this? Gang up on Jermaine time?" Jermaine asked.

"Nah, it's just the truth. You're jealous, ungrateful, controlling, and heartless. All the shit you done to Mike is unforgivable in my book." Tito said.

Jermaine looked at Janet for help. He'd always been afraid of Tito since they were kids--they all were. Tito was a lot like Joseph in many ways, but especially when it came to his unrivaled Civil Rights strength. Marlon figured Jermaine didn't want to escalate the conversation, so he looked to Janet for some backup.

Janet--now she was the voice of reason. She was the baby and everyone wanted to take care of her. But often, she ended up taking care of them. She had that maternal quality to her.

Jermaine was the family leech. But it wasn't always like that. He'd started out much more involved in the family business, but when he realized that Michael was the star, he'd grown to resent his little brother and often tried to sabotage him.

Then there was Rebbie. Religious, high-strung, and impulsive. She was supposed to be what Janet eventually became, but let her connection with Katherine and Joseph blind her from the reality that their parents weren't exactly the most supportive people in the world.

And Latoya: the wild card. The Jacksons never quite knew what they were going to get from her. She was kind but easily influenced. It was probably her intense kindness that opened the door for her changeable nature. She always seemed trapped in a fantasy.

Much like Latoya, Jackie also had a kind-hearted nature. He was smooth-talking and slick with the ladies, his sensitivity and looks making him an instant hit when the Jacksons went on tour. Unlike Jermaine, he never seemed jealous of Michael's success. He was just enjoying the ride of fame, and, for awhile, fortune.

And then there's the youngest Jackson boy, Randy. Randy was a very eclectic kid, having a rock collection and finding solace in percussion instruments. He was never very talkative but always had an opinion. He had an outrageous temper that only grew worse with age. Ironically, he became extremely close with Michael, but not as close as Marlon.

Marlon was the comic relief. Whether he was making fun of someone or getting into shenanigans on his own, everyone always turned to him for a laugh. But he was more than that. He was a good person to talk to because words never fell on judgmental ears. He'd helped Michael in sensitive situations, that was until Janet became of age and Marlon moved to Atlanta with his family.

Lastly, there was Michael. He wasn't the actual baby but always the baby. He could be blind to Katherine's faults like Rebbie. Rough and tough and not about that weak stuff like Tito. Kind and caring like Latoya. Smooth and sensitive like Jackie. Level-headed and genuine like Marlon. Moody and isolated like Randy. Wise and nurturing like Janet. Or even competitive and critical like Jermaine. But most of all--he was youthful and innocent in a way that only himself could be. There was something quite captivating about it. He had a way about him that brought people together, if only to take care of him. Like they were now. In his master bedroom.

"Look, now is not the time to do this." Janet interjected.

Soon, Rebbie came flopping down the stairs and everyone turned their attention to her.

She walked into the room with a distant look on her face.

Shit.

"Rebbie?" Marlon asked, puzzled.

Rebbie shot her eyes at her brother, her expression dark.

"What happened?" Janet asked.

Rebbie took a seat, hiding her face behind her arm that supported her head that lay on her hand.

"Rebbie!" Randy shouted.

Rebbie jumped. "I don't want to talk about it."

Jackie opened his mouth to speak. "But we want to know-"

"He won't eat! He won't speak! He won't even look at me! He's weak and frail! His skin is dried and his complexion pale! He could barely move and his eyes were dead! I don't know what's wrong with him, okay!"

Rebbie threw her face into her hands, tears soaking her palms. She didn't cry a loud cry but she wept of frustration. The room fell silent as each individual seemed to reflect on the reality of the situation. Their baby was sick with a disease of the heart. A disease that they each contributed to.

January 12th, 2000

Michael shook the sheet off of his face to try and discern what the cacophony of voices were saying in the room below his. The sun gleamed in his eyes, his hands quick to shield them. The room smelled of Dove Cucumber-scented bar soap and mint.

He took a deep breath, wiggling his ear.

"He needs to eat!" Jermaine quipped. "He's gotten so small."

Michael rubbed his eye. He glanced over at the plate of eggs and bacon on the nightstand that'd gone cold.

Jermaine continued, his voice sounding more muffled than before. "He's gonna get sick."

Michael shook his head and sat straight up in the bed.

"I don't think he can do anything on his own." Jackie noted.

Michael paused.

I can do some things.

"He's not okay." Jermaine added.

Yes I am.

Michael bit his lip anxiously. He looked over at the mirror to the right of him. In it he could see his hair frizzed all over his head. His skin looked like sanded porcelain. His eyes were red and tired. His cheeks were sunken in, and the bones, prominent.

I can do it.

He resolved to go downstairs to show his siblings that he was fine. He didn't need anyone's help, just as he didn't want anyone to pity him.

He swiveled over to the edge of the bed, his t-shirt sticking to his bones while his pants drooped down from being bunched under his legs. He slowly rose, trying to balance his weight upon his feet.

For the past few days, whenever he needed to get up to use the restroom or bathe, Mariah would help him downstairs--his presence easily disguised by the fact that the staircase to the lower level opened into the bathroom instead of the bedroom area.

Michael slowly made his way toward the staircase, and he took small steps until he reached the bottom. He turned the corner toward the bathroom door, mentally preparing himself for the conversation that awaited him.

As he gradually made his way into the bedroom through the bathroom, he took note of the jackets piled up on the chair in the corner.

He approached the room with his head down studying the ground, his body too weak to move too fast.

January 12th, 2000

"Hey, Mike." Latoya said, softly. "How're you feeling?"

She could tell he was trying on a smile, but it didn't quite happen.

He didn't say anything, just continued to try to move toward the bed, barefooted and a good 20 pounds lighter than he had been more recently.

Mariah soon came storming in the room. "Alright y'all, I-"

Her eyes travelled directly to Michael. He didn't look at her though, he couldn't. Instead, he just stopped in his tracks.

Latoya shot her head back and forth between the two. Mariah began to tear up, quickly turning her back toward her husband.

Ah girl, nooooo!

Michael's expression deflated more than it already had. His face flushed in clear embarrassment. He slowly turned back around.

"Michael?" Rebbie called out from the bedroom door. She'd just walked back in from the kitchen and was clearly startled to see Michael out of bed.

Michael stopped, giving Rebbie the chance to catch up with him. She stepped in front of him and held onto his shoulders before pulling him in for a brief hug.

"Hey, baby."

Michael tried to hug her back. But he was just too weak.

"Are you hungry? I can make you something to eat!" Rebbie exclaimed.

Rebbie, stop it. He probably hasn't even eaten his breakfast.

Michael didn't say anything.

She gave him a kiss. "I love you, Michael."

He reached out for her hand and held it for a moment. Latoya wasn't sure what he was doing, but she suspected that he was just trying to show her his appreciation.

Rebbie was trying her hardest to keep her tears at bay, when Michael pointed directly behind her at the small cabinet next to the nightstand.

Her eyes widened in realization.

"Oh! I'm sorry honey, let me get out of your way." She said with a nervous giggle.

Rebbie jumped to the side so that Michael could gain access to the cabinet. He quickly grabbed ahold of her forearm to steady himself as he approached the cabinet.

Latoya also noticed Mariah had turned back around to see what was going on.

"You got it baby?" Rebbie asked, gesturing toward the cabinet door.

Michael gave a slow nod before opening the door. He pulled out a flat box that easily looked twice his weight. Latoya glanced at Jackie and mouthed, "What is that?"

Jackie shrugged, turning his attention back to Michael.

Mariah gave a breathy sigh, breaking the silence in the room.

It seemed like all the siblings in the room were collectively scowling at her. She ignored it, her eyes fixed on her husband.

Michael sat down on the floor, slowly opening the box. One by one, he pulled out a set of dolls. He studied each one closely before setting them down in front of himself, carefully lining them up in row.

Latoya raised an eyebrow. Rebbie did the same.

Mariah looked to bite the inside of her cheek pensively, then knelt down in front of Michael. Latoya watched them closely, curious to see what would happen next.

"Whatcha doin?" Mariah asked, using a tone similar to the one she used with the twins.

Michael looked up at her, dejectedly, then back down at his dolls. He fumbled with one in particular as Mariah looked on helplessly.

"Baby you know if you wanna talk we're all here for you." She continued. "We all love you and-"

She broke off, taking a deep breath. "We want you to get better."

Latoya shifted from one foot to the other, keeping her eyes on the pair. Mariah continued to speak encouragement to Michael, while he focused on the dolls, seeming to ignore her. After a while, Mariah stopped talking and just sat in front of him .

Latoya could tell she was trying to help, but she didn't know how.

None of them really did.

January 15th, 2000

"Hello?" Mariah said into the phone.

Since Michael's siblings had pretty much taken over the house and anything to do with Michael, Mariah decided to make herself useful and handle some of his business while he recovered.

"Hello, may I speak to Mr. Jackson?"

Mariah pulled out a pad and pencil. "He's not available right now. This is his wife speaking, may I ask who's calling?"

The man on the other end continued. "This is Johnnie Cochran, Michael's lawyer."

Mariah sat up straight, a look of befuddlement washing over her. "Alright, and what's the message?"

"I just received word from the judge on the Chandler case. It's been thrown out."

Mariah stopped mid-pencil stroke. "I'm sorry can you repeat that?"

"The Chandler case has been dismissed by the judge." Johnnie said.

Mariah felt a smile grow on her face. "I'll let him know. Thank you."

She hung up the phone and hurried back to the main house.

When she got there, everyone except Michael and Jermaine were already gathered in the living room.

"Guys guess what!" Mariah said as she walked in.

Rebbie glared at her.

Noticing Rebbie's more sympathetic than usual expression, Mariah glanced around the room at her husband's family until her eyes landed on: "Katherine?"

Katherine hadn't been around much lately. She still technically lived at Neverland, but spent majority of her time in New York with Mariah's father. Mariah figured some bad news was afoot with Katherine being in the room with her children all looking somber.

"I- I'm sorry. Were you guys in the middle of something?"

"Oh no, Mariah, you can go ahead." Katherine said. "Go ahead."

Mariah didn't know whether to maintain her happiness or disguise it to match her family's faces. "The judge threw out the Chandlers' lawsuit against Mike."

The mood in the room instantly lightened.

Janet clapped. "Oh my god!" She took a sigh of relief. "That's amazing! One less thing on his plate."

Mariah nodded excitedly. "Yeah I couldn't believe it when his lawyer told me that. I'm so glad that nightmare is over."

The rest of the family looked like they wanted to be happy about the news, but were still reflecting on whatever Katherine had been saying before Mariah came into the room.

"What did I miss?"

Katherine looked down. "I'm moving to New York. Permanently."

Mariah jumped back. "Wha...? When did you decide this? Does Michael know?"

Katherine shook her head. "Of course not, child! We'll tell him when he's well, my heart can't take seeing my baby like this."

Mariah frowned. "But why? We need you here."

"You have Janet. You'll be alright without me." Katherine said.

Mariah folded her arms, unsure of how to respond.

You pick the time your son needs you most to move to the other side of the country? Wow, Katie.

There was something more to Katherine's story than she was letting on, and Mariah wasn't going to let it go any time soon.

January 20th, 2000

Michael was sitting on the floor with his dolls. It was hard for him to explain, but they brought him a comfort that no one in his life could.

She would've loved this.

The light pitter patter of feet caught his attention as Noelle walked into the room, stopping right in front of him.

Her eyes widened, though she didn't seem to be too bothered about his appearance.

"Daddy?" Noelle asked, slightly confused. "What you doin?"

Michael rested his chin on his hand, the other holding a doll upright.

"You playin daddy?" She pressed.

Michael chewed his dry lips. He wanted to answer her but his eyes refused to leave the floor.

Noelle walked closer to Michael, waiting for a response.

"Huh?"

Michael placed the doll down on its back and traced the floor with his finger tips.

"Daddy!" Noelle exclaimed, with a soft giggle.

She squatted down and picked up the doll. "Let's play!"

Michael took a deep breath. He reached out for his daughter, carefully removing the doll from her grip.

"No daddy, das mine!" She shouted, yanking the doll out of his hand.

Michael frowned, his eyes stinging from holding back a cry.

Noelle quickly noticed, raising concerned eyebrows. She quickly put on a sneaky, toothy smile. "I sorry. Here." She said, shoving the doll in his face.

Michael pulled back, his body moving in slow motion.

Noelle moved her hand out of his face, snapping her head down at the doll.

She seemed to examine the toy, trying to understand why Michael didn't want it anymore.

When she seemed satisfied with her internal answer, she pushed the doll back in Michael's face. "Here!"

He clasped his hand around hers and slowly lowered it out of his face, letting her hand fall beside her tiny torso.

Noelle furrowed her eyebrows. "Daddy, why you no want? Huh?"

Michael slowly shook his head.

She glanced back down at the doll. "Iss scary?"

Michael drew into himself. He couldn't tell if she was asking if he was scared or telling him that he was scary.

Noelle knelt down, leaping closer to her father until she was only a couple of inches away from him.

She looked up at him with an innocent curiosity. "Daddy, wuss wrong?" She asked.

Michael didn't say anything.

"Huh?"

He peeked at her.

I'm hurting baby...

"You hurting?" She asked.

Michael jerked back in startle.

How did she kno-

"Iss okay!" She said with a large grin. She hopped up and patted his shoulder. "Why you hurting?"

He opened his mouth, but hesitated.

"Huh?" She encouraged.

He closed his eyes and started. "I-"

Noelle's eyes widened in curiosity.

He couldn't quite get the words right, so he gave up.

"Iss okay, daddy!" She reassured, rubbing his shoulder.

She reached into her little jean pocket and pulled out a Hershey kiss. "Here."

He stared at her hand for a moment before accepting her offer. He felt pathetic for it too.

He slowly opened the candy, trying to give his daughter a smile.

"Iss okay. You're hurting." She said softly, nearly petting his cheek.

He carefully placed the candy into his mouth, holding it in his cheek like a jawbreaker.

"I love you!" Noelle said with a sweet smile.

Michael glanced up at her through his lashes.

She was so kind and noble, a lot like her mother.

He peered into her gentle eyes, seeing only Mariah's innocence and Diana's regret in his child. The pain caused him to quickly look away.

He could feel Noelle grow exasperated.

She reached out and lightly pinched the top of his cheek. "Daddy, you squishy!"

The irony of being sunken-in skin and bones with a child that saw nothing but beauty.

Michael pulled her in for a tight embrace.

Noelle burped and giggled at the same time.

"Scuse me!"

Michael, clasping his child for dear life, giggled as well, a tear streaming down his face.

He gave her a brief squeeze, and mumbled under his breath, his tone depressingly jovial.

"Squishy."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

571K 12.4K 135
You and Michael..... That's all that matters in this book. Being all innocent and goofy to doing sinful things. Imagines unlike no other. Let your...
41.9K 2K 57
Sequel to 'Forced'. If you haven't read the first book, please do! This book won't make sense if you don't. ~ After building up a relationship with M...
75.7K 2.2K 16
Rose and Dimitri had accepted the fact that they would never have biological children. So when Rose comes home with some pretty shocking news, they'r...
19K 724 28
People say forever doesn't last always, but that's not what they've believed. They were in it for the long haul. With just only three years of marria...