Chapter 71

October 8th, 1998

Mariah, Jermaine Dupri, Shawntae, and Nick were all at the studio finishing up her Number One’s album. After she finished recording, they decided to celebrate Nick's eighteenth birthday with some cake and ice cream.

“Oh! Hang on, I got you something!” Mariah exclaimed.

“Huh?”

“Yeah- Just-” She fiddled around with her bag for a moment before pulling out a small box labelled Cartier. “Here!”

Nick stared at her hands.

“Take it!” She said.

Nick took the box and opened it, revealing a custom-made steel and 18k white gold watch. His eyes widened--flabbergasted.

“Damn!” Shawntae shouted. “What you say boy?”

“Ah- wow.” Nick said, staring intensely into Mariah’s eyes.

He bit his lips. “Thank you.”

Mariah looked him up and down. “You deserve it.”

She pulled him in for a hug--letting it linger just slightly longer than usual.

She pulled back from him, her eyes glazed over. “Thanks for being a good friend.”

Nick, still holding onto her waist, flashed a smile at her.

“You can let go now.” Shawntae demanded.

Nick glanced over at Shawntae, smirked, and slowly pulled away.

October 8th, 1998

Mariah laid down on the on the bed, an uncomfortable distance between her and Michael. He didn't look up when she came in, instead focusing on the book he was reading.

She let out a loud sigh.

Michael glanced at her from the corner of his eye. “Do you need something?”

“For my husband to be a husband.” Mariah said quietly.

He set his book on the nightstand and shifted closer to her.

“So what do you wanna do?” He asked, suggestively.

“I wanna talk.” She said.

Michael seemed to deflate a bit, but held her gaze. “What's wrong?”

She sighed. “Morgan. It's-”

“Baby, he chose to burn that house down.” Michael pointed out.

Mariah groaned. “You don't get it.”

“What's to get? I understand that he's your brother and the situation is unfortunate, but you had nothing to do with that. You can't let that get to you.”

“Would you just listen?” Mariah shot back.

He threw up his hands. “Fine, go ahead.”

“I just can’t believe how fast all this is happening. It’s like I’m losing a part of me, you know?” Mariah said.

Michael nodded his head, his eyes clearly unfocused.

Mariah sighed. “I just- I need you baby. I need you to come with us.”

Michael raised an eyebrow. “I don’t think you need me to. You may want me to but you don’t need-”

“You know what I mean though, Michael. Why don’t you just say yes for once and support me without us having a fight about it?” She asked.