Chapter 62

June 9th, 1998

Mariah was laying in bed staring at the phone. It had been a while since she heard from Morgan and she was starting to get nervous.

She picked up the phone and dialed Morgan's number.

“We're sorry you have reached a number that has been disconnected or is no longer in service. If you feel you have reached this recording in error please check the number and try your call again.”

Mariah stared at the phone in shock. She had no idea where Morgan was or why his phone would be disconnected.

Fuck…

June 9th, 1998

“So has Michael talked to you about my album?” Rebbie asked.

Katherine was sitting on her bed talking to her daughter on her personal landline. Ever since Rebbie and Michael fell out, Katherine acted as a liaison, relaying messages between the two. But lately, it was beginning to get exhausting.

Katherine sighed. “Michael doesn’t talk about that kind of stuff. If you wanted to do all your music stuff, you shouldn’t have alienated your boss.”

She could hear the annoyance in Rebbie’s voice.

“I didn’t alienate him. He alienated me, Mother.”

Katherine licked her teeth. “Oh grow up, Rebbie. You can’t control who your brother loves. Trust me I’ve tried and failed many times. Now if his own mother can’t talk a woman out of his life, what makes you think you can?”

“It’s not just that though. He acts like he can’t separate business from personal matters.”
Katherine picked up a cashew and popped it into her mouth. “Well neither can you.”

Rebbie huffed. “He’s playing with my money.”

“I don’t think he’s trying to ‘play with your money’. He has just as much of an investment in you as you do.” Katherine explained.

For a moment, Katherine and Rebbie sat in silence.

“All I know is he better not mess with my album.” Rebbie explained.

“Point blank period.”

June 13th, 1998

“Nicole.” Mariah said, sending her daughter a warning glance.

Nicole had the remote in her hands, about to put it in her mouth. Noelle watched.

Mariah set down her notebook and took the remote from her. “This is not food.”

Nicole giggled in response, making Mariah laugh as well.

“You're always getting into something.”

Mariah leaned back on the couch. She was trying to write new songs for her album and watch her kids, but with the twins getting more curious she was spending most of her time keeping an eye on them.

After tonight

Will you remember

How sweet-

Mariah glanced up at the sound of Nicole screaming at Noelle.

“Nicki, baby, mommy's working. Can you please be quiet?”

Nicole looked over to Mariah and screamed again.

Mariah huffed. “I'm serious Nicki.”

Nicole laughed then babbled something to Noelle. Noelle turned her gaze to Mariah, then responded to Nicole in their little language.