Chapter 42

October 31st, 1997

"You're doing a really good job, Stevie."

Stevanna, Randy's daughter, was helping Mariah paint her stomach to look like a pumpkin. The seven year old was dressed as a bumblebee and had her face painted for the Halloween event Mariah and Michael put on at Neverland.

Stevanna beamed. "Thank you Auntie Mariah." Stevanna paused for a second. "Auntie, can I go to the haunted house?"

Mariah made a sad face. "I'm sorry baby, you're too little. But you can go on the rides."

Stevanna smiled. "I never get to go on those! Is it scary?"

"Well, it's definitely fun!" Mariah exclaimed.

Suddenly, Mariah's stomach shifted under the paintbrush and Stevanna jumped back.

Mariah giggled. "That's your cousin saying hi."

"Oh." The girl gave a nervous chuckle. "I thought there were two."

Mariah nodded. "Yeah, one on each side. The one on the right moves more."

Stevanna cheesed and continued on Mariah's stomach.

Knock. Knock.

"Permission to enter?"

Mariah giggled. "Granted."

Michael, dressed in army fatigues and green face paint, walked in with a boy who looked to be around twelve or thirteen.

"Oh, hello." Mariah said, raising an eyebrow. "Who's this?"

"This is Omer, I met his parents when I was on tour in Norway." Michael explained.

Mariah observed the lanky boy for a moment, then smiled. "Nice to meet you Omer."

"Nice to meet you too." He said with a strong accent.

"I just wanted to introduce you two." Michael said. "You'll be out soon, right?"

Mariah nodded. "Yeah soon as we're done in here. Where's mom?"

Michael laughed. "She's outside enjoying herself. She makes a really good witch."

Mariah laughed. "Shh, the babies will hear you."

He rolled his eyes. "Oh sure, use it against me."

Stevanna spoke up, interrupting their banter. "Uncle Mike is Genny here yet?"

"I'll go check. You have to hurry up on Auntie Mariah though, I don't want you to miss the Trick-Or-Treating." He said.

"She's almost done." Mariah said, gesturing to her orange bump. "She's just got to do the eyes now."

"Okay, I'll be outside. Come on, Omer." Michael turned to leave with the young boy following close behind.

Mariah picked up two paints. "Alright Stevie, are we doing yellow or black for the eyes?"

Stevanna pointed at the black paint and quickly painted two black triangles for eyes.

"I'm done." Stevanna announced.

Mariah struggled up and looked in the mirror at Stevanna's work. "It's so pretty! Come on, let's go show everybody."

Mariah took Stevanna's hand and walked outside over to the amusement rides area.

"Hey baby!" Michael called out to Mariah while lifting Stevanna into his arms. Mariah wore a cropped orange off-the-shoulders top to cover her breasts, a pumpkin painting over her bump, a flowy black maxi skirt, and black boots.