Chapter 87

June 14th, 1999

“This is so childish.” Mariah commented, staring at the Save The Date for Tommy and his fiancé Thália. “Why the fuck would he send this to the office?”

“Maybe he knew Michael would be upset if it came to Neverland?” Mary suggested.

Mariah and Mary were out to lunch betwixt running errands. A twin sat next to each woman, enjoying their juice boxes.

“I mean like, in general though. Why would I care about you getting married? I am a happily married woman, I don't care about that!” Mariah exclaimed.

Mary twisted her pasta up her fork, focused on Mariah.

“Yeah that is interesting. I mean- maybe he just wants to genuinely invite you guys?” Mary suggested.

“Oh, trust me, after he and Michael’s big blow out he wouldn't want my husband anywhere near him.”

Mary flashed her eyebrows in agreement.

“Well maybe there's another reason?”

Mariah grinded her teeth. I'm sure.

“Honestly, fuck him!” Mariah exclaimed as she helped Nicole eat her Macaroni and Cheese. “I just feel bad for that poor woman. She doesn't know what he's capable of.”

“What do you mean?” Mary asked.

Mariah tilted her head to the side, furrowing her eyebrows.

“Do you think that divorce was a lie?” Mariah lowered her voice to a whisper. “He beat my ass, Mary. I thought he was so nice and so good at first. He was just so friendly and so kind to me. And then, suddenly, when we got married it was like he was just through with me. He kicked me and slapped me and threw me up against the wall, girl. And as if that wasn't enough he'd force me to-” Mariah suddenly paused, taking a deep breath. Mary, on the other hand, sat there with her eyes wide open. She didn’t know what to think.

“He's not a good man, okay? I wouldn't be surprised if we saw her limping out of that house before it was all said and done.”

“Why do you still work for him?” Mary asked.

“Because I'm locked in a contract. I still have to play nice even if I don't want to.”

Mary started again. “But how is he still even keeping you on after what Michael did.”

“Because girl!” Mariah interrupted. “That's how he tries to control us. He thinks that if he keeps me on the label, instead of coming to an agreement to break the deal, me and Michael would have to give in to whatever bullshit he throws at us. He's a smart man, Mary. He wants to try and make me and Michael financially dependent on him. He thinks we’re dumb. And we really can't do anything about leaving right now.”

Mary nodded. “Damn, that's crazy. But you would still think he wouldn't want Michael around-”

“Oh he doesn't! He tries to stay as far away from Mike as possible. He just manipulates the situation from a legal standpoint. He's trying to go after Michael’s catalog too. It's pathetic. He's too much of a bitch to fight a man so he has to try and fuck with our money.”

“But it's not working though, right?”

“Well, no. But things could change at any second.” Mariah replied, absently rubbing her bump.

“Mommy, look!” Nicole shouted from her high chair.

Mariah glanced at her daughter, who'd been doing more drawing than eating.