Chapter 57

April 6th, 1998

Michael pushed a large stroller through the doors of the brightly painted building. Vicki suggested that he and Mariah do a class with the twins, but with Mariah still in New York he was going to have to go alone.

Once Michael signed in, he pushed the girls into a locker room and sat the baby bag on a bench. He pulled back the canopy, peering down at his daughters. Nicole and Noelle were both wearing gray sweatsuits under their bubble coats, bundled up to the point that they could barely move.

He picked up Nicole and started removing her outerwear until she was down to her blue swimsuit, then did the same for Noelle, who was wearing a matching swimsuit in purple. He picked up both girls, balancing one on either hip, and headed towards the pool area with other parents and their babies.

He immediately noticed a familiar face sitting among the parents.

“Nina?”

“Hey Michael.” She said, then looked down at the twins. “Hi girls.”

Michael grinned and took an empty seat next to Nina.

Nina smiled, adjusting Noah on her lap so that he was facing Nicole and Noelle. “Say ‘hi’ Noah.”

Michael watched closely as the three babies looked at each other. Noelle turned her head into Michael's chest. Nicole glanced at her sister then back at Noah before trying to swipe at him. Noah shouted something at Nicole and she glanced up at her dad as if she were looking for help.

Nina laughed. “Noah, what you say to her? Say sorry.”

Michael chuckled. “Don't even worry about it. Nicki is...she's protective.”

Nina nodded. “I see. Nobody's gonna mess with her sister.”

Michael picked up Nicole’s hand and pointed to her wrist. He heightened his voice and said, jokingly, “Not on my watch.”

Bonnie, the swim instructor, walked over to Michael, looking him up and down.

“Where was your swimsuit?” She asked in a chipper tone.

Michael wore a loose-fitting long sleeved shirt, tucked into form-fitting dad jeans complete with black leather boots and a large-buckle belt.

He looked down at his feet and chuckled nervously. “I don’t even think I own one.”

Bonnie put her hand on her hip. “Well you're gonna need one for next class.”

Shit.

“Oh...really?” He let out a nervous chuckle.

“That why it's a Baby and Me class.” She patted his shoulder. “See you next week.”

He watched her walk down the hall before turning back to the twins. Noelle was fast asleep, Nicole lay next to her, laughing.

Michael smirked.

“What are you laughing at?”

April 11th, 1998

Mariah walked onto the set of 20/20 with Diane Sawyer. She’d prepared to give her first interview since her divorce from Tommy.

Mariah sat across from Diane as she gave her opening spiel.

When she was ready to introduce Mariah, Diane looked directly into the camera. “Tonight we have a special guest: Mariah Carey.”

“Mariah how are you?”

“Hi Diane, I’m doing well, thanks.”

“Mariah, it's been a while. It's been three years since your last public interview.” Diane stated.