Chapter 88

July 1st, 1999

Michael was at home recovering from his fall in Munich. After the bridge collapsed, he sustained some minor spinal damage that caused him to pass out after the show. Mariah had been fussing over him since came home, while Noelle spent most of her time quietly playing in the bed beside him, like she understood what happened. Since then, most of his days were mundane, and today seemed no different.

He could hear Mariah and the girls near the bedroom door.

“Daddy-” Noelle started, followed by Mariah shushing her.

What are those three up to now?

Mariah walked into the room with the twins, a small smile on her face. Both of the girls had their hands behind their backs as they walked over to his side of the bed.

“Okay, you can show him now.” Mariah said.

Nicole and Noelle both pulled out handmade cards from behind their backs.

“Thank you girls!” Michael exclaimed, taking the cards. “Did you make them?”

Nicole grinned, showing her teeth. “Yes!”

“Look at mine Daddy!” Noelle said.

Nicole glared at her sister. “No me!”

“Daddy is gonna look at both of them okay?” Mariah interjected.

Michael chuckled, reaching down to ruffle each of their little heads. “You two are the sweetest.”

He inspected each of the cards, both covered in various colors of paint. He could just make out a heart on Noelle's card.

“Ah like it, Daddy?” Nicole asked, standing on her tiptoes.

Michael set them down. “Yes I like them very much.”

“Nick, Noni don't you have something else for your daddy?” Mariah prompted.

Nicole shot up. “I get it!”

Michael chuckled. “What else do you guys have?”

“Presents!” Noelle shouted.

“Noni!” Mariah exclaimed.

Noelle looked down. “I sawry, Mommy.”

Nicole bounced back into the room with a box. “Look Daddy!”

Mariah raised an eyebrow. “Nick, is that the right box?”

Noelle shook her head. “I go get it!”

“No! I get it!”

The twins both got up and ran out of the room.

Mariah turned back to Michael. “I didn't see that this morning. Who sent it?”

Michael turned the box over and read the tag. “June.”

Mariah rolled her eyes and snatched the box from him.

“Hey!”

She tossed the box into the fireplace, watching it burn, and then turned back to Michael.

“You don't need it.”

July 10th, 1999

Michael laid in bed watching cartoons. Outside, the rain beat the ground, simultaneously relaxing Michael and disturbing his aching joints.

Knock.

Knock.

“Yeah?” He called out.