Chapter 23

March 4th, 1997

Michael lay in bed thinking. He was worried about Mariah. It was the first time she had been in New York alone since she left Tommy and her mind was in a vulnerable state. He had tried to make up with her, but her last minute trip to New York put a hold on his plans.

Maybe it's better this way. She can cool down while she's there.

Problem was, that left him alone with his thoughts. In an attempt to escape his loneliness, he decided to call Janet.

"Hello?"

"Hey Dunk."

"What's wrong? You sound sad."

"Mariah's gonna be in New York for the next few days." He explained.

"You didn't go with her?"

"No, she's mad at me and I didn't wanna make it worse."

"What happened this time?" She asked.

"We got into this huge blowout in the car on the way back home."

"How bad was it?"

He sighed. "Bill had to pull over and pull me off of her."

"Mike, please don't tell me you hit her." Janet's tone was disapproving.

"No!" Almost. "She threw a bottle at me then she punched me so I restrained her...I just got a little carried away so her wrists are bruised up and now we're not talking. Dunk, I feel terrible. I love her so much and I don't understand why it's not working. If we get a divorce I don't know what I'd do."

"Did she say anything about a divorce after that?"

"She hasn't said anything. I just know that if she does, it might kill me. I've never wanted something so bad in my life than for her to be right here with me, right now."

"I'm just gonna pray for y'all. Y'all gon need a blessing and a half for whatever's going on."

March 7th, 1997

Walter gave Mariah a thumbs up as he worked the soundboard. She had written a ballad for the album and asked him to help her produce it. He kept it simple, only a piano and her voice. She opened the song with soft vocals.

Love wandered inside

Stronger than you

Stronger than I

And now that it has begun

We cannot turn back

We can only turn into one

Walter nodded along, adding in the percussion.

I won't ever be too far away to feel you

And I won't hesitate at all

Whenever you call

And I'll always remember

The part of you so tender

I'll be the one to catch your fall

Whenever you call

Mariah started shaking her head, waving her hand for him to stop. "It's not right."

"What's wrong with it?" Walter asked.

She took off her headset. "Hold the drums until after the first chorus, start it before the 'I'm inspired' line."

Walter nodded and restarted the track so Mariah could re-record the chorus of the song and then added light percussion where she asked him to.

And I'm truly inspired