Out of the Darkness

By tufano79

Edward Cullen is a fallen angel, living among humans. He's dark, snarky, tattooed and a total badass. However... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter 10
Chapter Twelve
Chapter 13
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Epilogue

Chapter Eleven

899 45 5
By tufano79

Disclaimer: None of this is mine, nor will it ever be (sigh). I like to play with the characters that Stephenie Meyers created and make them do pervy things or become angels with a bad attitude.

Up next will be Edward's story. His history ... how old do you think he is? And is Edward his real name?

Chapter Eleven

BPOV

"Thank you for staying, Bella. I know that you don't know me very well and the idea of sleeping with a stranger ..."

"You're not a stranger," I said, pressing my hand to his mouth. "You saved me twice. I think I owed you one."

He laughed, his smile blinding and his eyes twinkling. He hugged me, nuzzling my neck and pressing a soft kiss below my ear. I shuddered. "I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to make you feel uncomfortable."

"I liked it," I blushed, looking up at him. "Though, all of this ... it's ... you're an angel."

"I'm an angel," he frowned. He blinked up at me and cupped my cheek. "You need to know everything and the real threat to your life, pretty Bella."

"What? A threat?" I asked.

"Let me feed you and I'll explain everything, Bella," Edward said, helping me up. Staring into my eyes, he smiled softly. He looked like he wanted to say something, but instead he dipped his head, brushing his lips with mine. In my mind, I heard something. I love you. You own me and I will gladly give my life to save yours.

"What?" I whispered.

"You heard that?" he asked. I nodded. "I thought that ..." He cocked his head, sighing. "Let's eat and then I'll tell you everything. I promise." He kissed me once more, taking me into his kitchen. But, food was the farthest thing in my mind. I could hear Edward in my head?

Say what?

EPOV

Bella picked at her food. I could hear her mind reeling about the revelation about me, her, us, everything. I knew that I had to tell her about my past, my mistakes and Riley/Lucifer's threat to make Bella his. Now, while Bella picked at her food, I almost devoured the entire refrigerator. My body was still very weak from the poisonous arrow.

"How did you eat all of that?" Bella asked, her eyes wide.

"I don't need much food, but if I'm injured like I was with the arrow, I need to refuel with food and rest," I explained. "Are you okay? Need more?"

"Oh, no. You finish it," she quipped, pushing her nearly full plate toward me.

"You need this as much as I do," I murmured. "You're so slender, Bella."

"I'm too nervous," she said, wrinkling her nose. I took the plate and placed it in the fridge, guiding Bella to the couch that Alice had replaced. I settled her onto the couch, covering her with a fluffy blanket. I sat across from her, giving her space, but all I wanted was to hold her. She must have, subconsciously, felt my need and cuddled in my lap. I snaked my arms around her waist and used my wings to shield us from the world. "Why do you do that?" she asked.

"What?"

"With the wings," she said. "Wrap me up with the wings?"

"They're impenetrable. Save for the poisonous arrow from the devil, I'm pretty much indestructible. You're not. I want to protect you, Bella," I said, shielding her from as much as I could.

"That explains why I feel so safe with you," she smiled, cuddling closer. I tightened my arms around her, using my powers to heal her arm fully now that she knew most of the truth. "Now, I want to know more. Tell me your story."

"My angelic story or all of it?"

"All of it," she said, toying with my sleeve.

"Okay," I chuckled. "I was born in what was now known as Northern Italy around the beginning of the third century. I don't know the exact date since calendars were not high on the list of priorities in the tiny village where I was born."

"Did you say third century?" she squeaked.

"Yes. I'm older than dirt, but Alice is older than me," I snickered.

But, I look better, you jerk, Alice thought to me.

"She said she's your sister," Bella murmured.

"It's the best way to describe her. When I was a human, she was my guardian angel, protecting me. When I was in my mid-twenties, I was working as a black smith. Sparks from the fire traveled to a nearby home, causing the thatched roof to explode into flames. I knew that the family who lived there had several children and I couldn't let my mistake cause the death of the family. I raced into the building, pulling the children out and saving the sickly mother, as well. However, the fire burned most of my body and I was dying. Alice appeared to me, like a vision. She gave me a choice because I had sacrificed myself to save the lives of others. I had no other family. My parents had died in a recent bout of illness and my wife died in childbirth, along with my unborn babe," I said, frowning.

I tried to not to remember that pain. That was part of the reason why I struggled with the idea of being with Alice in that way. I was still grieving my loss, or I was, at the time.

"You were married?" Bella asked. "I'm so sorry for your loss."

"Thank you," I said, nuzzling her soft hair. "It was a long time ago, but I know that they are at peace, no longer in pain and happy with each other. He told me."

"He ... as in ... God?" Bella squeaked.

"You could say that," I chuckled. "Anyway, Alice asked me if I wanted to be with my wife and child or to continue doing good in His name. I wanted to be with my family, but they would have no memory of me. However, I wasn't ready to die. So, I said yes to Alice's offer of doing good. She healed me as much as she could and carried me to the heavens. And you saw Alice. She's a wisp of a thing. I was shocked when she heaved my broken body into her arms. Anyway, her mentor and creator finished healing me. I was given the choice again and I said that wanted to make a change. I wanted to do good. Carlisle, Alice's creator, and Alice held out their hands and the transition began.

"The pain I felt from the fire was nothing compared being transitioned to an angel," I grumbled. "My bones were fortified. Wings grew from my spine, tearing through my skin and becoming what you see. On top of the physical changes, my mind changed, too. I could read minds, feel the pain of humans, their sadness and despair. Finally, I was granted the gift of healing, able to heal with my hands. However, as we take, heal the pain of others, it's passed to us. I also don't need to sleep or eat as much. The only times I do have to eat or sleep is when I'm injured or I heal another."

"You healed me that night I was attacked," she said, her eyes wide.

"I did. If I hadn't, you would have died, Bella," I frowned. "One of the monsters had cracked a rib and it had punctured your lung. You also had damage to your spleen and other internal injuries. You were bleeding internally. I couldn't let you die. So, I took your pain as mine. I needed you to survive. In my heart, in my mind, you had to survive."

"Why? I'm not worth it," Bella muttered, shame washing over her.

"That's where you're wrong, Bella. You're worth everything," I whispered, tracing my fingers down her cheek. She shuddered, moving her face away from my hand. Her mind was focused on how she was unworthy of anything good. All she deserved was pain, agony, shame. I hated that, wanting to show her that she was worth everything.

Shaking her head, she blinked up at me. "Let me get this straight ... you're twenty-five, or at least stuck at the age of twenty-five," she said. "Right?"

"With my transition, my body aged and I would be the equivalent of early thirties," I replied.

She waved her hand. "Whatever ... what boggles my mind is that you're over a thousand years old. What you've seen ... what you've experienced!"

"Most of it is good, but I made a huge mistake, banishing me to earth until I can redeem myself," I frowned.

"Mistake?"

"A little thing known as World War II," I said flatly, snorting humorlessly. "I unknowingly helped Hitler because I was tricked by Lucifer. He'd invaded Hitler's body and made him seem completely lost, empty and filled with despair. However, it was all a ruse and I fucked up."

"Wait, you're an angel who swears?" Bella snorted.

"Banished to earth. I picked up on bad habits," I shrugged. "Tattoos were one. Smoking and drinking, too. I also fell into a funk where I had a manwhorish phase." Bella's face hardened, eyes deadening. "It was during the seventies. I was feeling empty, lonely and lost, missing my family in heaven and my heart yearning for companionship. However, Alice said if I didn't pull my head out of my ass, I was going to living out my life as a human. Suffice it to say, I haven't been with anyone in a long, long time."

"Will they let you back in?" Bella asked.

"I'm capable of redemption, according to Him," I murmured. "I never thought it was feasible, but now I know. I think you're a part of my redemption."

"Why?"

"Because I thought I'd never find the one I was supposed to love forever," I said. "I thought I felt love when I was with my wife, but what I felt for her is nothing compared to what I feel for you and I've known you for six weeks. You're my soul mate."

"What was your wife's name?" Bella asked. He cannot love me. I'm ... no.

"Magdalena," I said. "I still carry feelings for her in my heart, but my soul is yours, Bella. It will always be yours and I love you."

"Is Edward really your name?" Bella questioned, avoiding my admission. In her heart, she was beginning to feel more for me, but she still was tainted in her mind.

"The name I adopted," I chuckled. "I've been known by many different names, obviously. Being almost 1,700 years old, I can change my identity a lot over time. I've become pretty adept at creating new identities over the years."

"What was your name back when you were alive?"

"Antonio," I replied. "Over the years, I've gone by many different names, but I always keep Antonio, or Anthony a part of my moniker. According to my most recent identity, my full name is Edward Anthony Cullen."

"And your accent?"

"It's a little bit of everything," I said. "However, after I was sent back to earth after I was first transitioned, I spent a lot of time in Eastern Europe. My accent is mainly from there."

"What do you do as an angel?" Bella asked. "Do His bidding?"

"For the most part, yes. But, we try to keep the goodness alive," I answered, blushing slightly and leaning my cheek against her soft curls. "Stop the pain, heal the weak and infirm, protect the innocent."

"Do you still do that, even though you've been disgraced?" she whispered. Why didn't my guardian angel do that for me? I've had enough pain to last many life times and my innocence is long gone.

"I never stopped," I sighed. "Now, I've been doing that for just you."

She bit her lip. "Did I have a guardian angel?" she asked. "Before you?"

I reached my mind out to Alice. Did she?

She was under Heidi's watch, Alice replied. I wrinkled my nose. Heidi was another angel who had been disgraced, but was now living as a human. I think Bella's childhood was the nail in coffin that forced Heidi back down to earth. She's reminded about the innocents who were hurt, broken and tortured under her protection. Bella's was one of the worst.

"You did have a guardian angel, but she didn't pay attention to her charges. She was disgraced, like me, but she lost her powers," I said, tightening my arms around her. "If you were mine, I would have made sure you were safe, Bella. I'm so sorry."

"It's not your fault," she shrugged.

"It may not be, but I feel like I'm at fault," I whispered, pressing my lips to her temple. She melted against me, putting her head on my shoulder. Can I find Heidi and kick her ass?

Edward ... Heidi has been recycled. She's a newborn, Alice replied dryly. Like, a baby.

Oh.

"Do you really love me?" Bella asked, looking up at me. Her eyes were round, and fathomless, swirling with uncertainty. "I'm not ..."

"You are, Bella," I whispered. "And I do love you. On some level, you love me, too."

"I don't know how to love," she sighed. "I really don't." She traced one of my tattoos. "You should know why."

"Bella, you don't have to tell me. I've seen glimpses," I muttered.

"I want you to know it all. You told me your story. I want you to know mine," she said, her voice wavering. "If we're going to make this work, you have to know what I'm capable of and what hell I survived. I'm not sure if I can ever ..." Let you make love to me, she finished mentally. I'm too broken.

Focusing my thoughts to her, I brushed my lips with hers. No broken, just bent, I thought. And I was determined to help her realize that she wasn't broken. With time and determination and most importantly, love.

A/N: Up next will be Bella's story. I'm warning you ... it's not pretty.

Leave me some. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

63.2K 1.2K 23
Piper Swan is the older sister of Isabella Swan. Piper is quite outgoing and funny when she wants to be. She's overprotective of her little sister, e...
14.2K 768 29
Edward Cullen is an asshole. He's a moody musician and artist who likes his tattoos, alcohol and drugs. He's down on his luck when his friend, Emmett...
247K 4.3K 25
Isadonia Swan is the older twin of Bella Swan, but the two couldn't be more different. Isadonia had something horrible happen to her without her fami...
149K 3.2K 62
Having to change into a vampire was not planned by Bella. Getting her parents killed and having to move to another place was also not on her wish lis...