Remember the Time

By historynerd0401

{1996 - 2001} Marriage... Sounds like bliss to Michael and Mariah after the events of the past six years, but... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117

Chapter 81

697 22 15
By historynerd0401

February 5th, 1999

Michael was in the studio and his good friend Frank Cascio decided to tag along. He would be graduating from high school in a few months, and Michael figured he’d put on his big brother pants to help him figure things out.

“So have you thought at all about what you're gonna do after graduation?” Michael asked.

Frank grimaced. “Not really.”

“No college?” Michael prompted.

Frank laughed. “Yeah right. Have you seen my grades?”

Michael chuckled. “Good point.”

“Hopefully I can get a job at a factory or something after we graduate. I sent in a couple applications.” Frank said.

Michael frowned. “Is that what you want?”

Frank sighed, playing with a few dials on the soundboard. “Not really, but I don't have that many options. I'm not smart enough for college and-”

“But there's gotta be something else. What do you want to do?” Michael pressed, folding his arms.

Frank closed his eyes in thought before opening them again with a sigh. “I have no clue.”

Michael was quiet for a moment. He knew Frank would make a great employee anywhere he went, but it would be hard for him to find a good job without experience.

Oh shit-

“Frank?”

Frank looked up from the floor.

Michael smirked. “How would you like to work for me?”

“What?” Frank exclaimed.

Michael nodded. “Vicki's leaving soon so I'll need a new assistant. Would you be interested?”

Frank nodded eagerly. “Duh!”

Michael grinned.

“Alright, I'll have you meet with Vicki on Monday.”

February 9th, 1999

Michael walked into the master bedroom just as Mariah was coming out of the bathroom.

“Still throwing up?”

Mariah nodded as she crawled into the bed. “I think I got the stomach flu or something.”

Michael crossed the room and placed a hand on her forehead. “You don't feel warm or anything.”

“I feel horrible.” She whined. “And I can't keep anything down today.”

He stroked her hair to comfort her. “Do you want some soup? You gotta eat something.”

She shook her head pitifully. “I’d really just like to relax right now.”

Mariah sat up on the bed to make room for Michael. He sat next to her, and grabbed her tenderly by the shoulders.

She sniffled. “Ugh, I just- I’m so fucking tired.”

He didn’t respond--preferring to listen to her worries instead of questioning her.

“Alison’s pressing me about this damn wedding--I don’t wanna do any of that.” Mariah explained.

“No, no, no, none of that. You don’t need to be stressing out. She needs to stop depending on you for her bullshit.” He said.

Mariah sighed. “I can’t just let her-”

Michael shook his head. “Nope. I don’t wanna hear it. It’s reminding me of when we first got together and she was doing everything in her power to make your life harder.”

“You remember that?”

“It wasn’t that long ago.” He replied.

Mariah looked up at him. “That was almost ten years ago.”

I guess it was, wasn’t it?

“Ah- shit!” She shouted, holding onto her side.

“What’s wrong?”

“Fucking pain hit me.” She replied. “That shit hurt.”

She placed her hand on her lower abdomen, absently stroking it.

Michael just stared at her--a slow grin forming on his face. Though he wasn’t smiling because of her pain. He was smiling because of its beautiful source.

“God, you’re beautiful.” He whispered.

“What?”

“I said: you’re beautiful.” He responded.

She attempted a smirk. “I wish I felt that way.”

He sighed. Me too.

“I- I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to- I appreciate the compliment. I’m just really out of it right now.”

He nodded along. He didn’t mean to give off the vibe that he was upset. But he figured it was best to keep quiet either way.

“I’m so tired, Mike.” She said, a tear forming in her right eye. “I don’t mean to be so mean.”

“Aw baby, you can’t control your hormones-”

“Nina was right. I’m such a bitch to you.” She interjected.

Michael started again. “Yeah but I know it’s just the-”

“And I never let you breathe, I always get so critical of you.”

He nodded. “Yeah but you always get like this when you’re-”

“I know, I know. I’m sorry. I’m trying to control it. I’m jealous because I love you. And I don’t wanna lose you.” She explained.

Is that what it is?

He smiled. “Look, I know I do stupid shit too. It’s not like I don’t do things I know would hurt you, because I do. I just- I’m trying to handle everything. I don’t want you to feel like you have to take care of me. I’m trying to work through my demons.”

Mariah frowned. “But we’re married. We’re supposed to work through them together.”

“Not when you have a past like mine.”

She nodded, slowly. “What do you mean?”

“Nothing. It’s noth-”

“Ah! Damn it!” Her face glowed red hot.

Michael jerked closer to her. “You know what, I’m taking you to the hospital.”

“No!” She shouted.

Michael pulled back, confused.

“I’m fine.” She said as a tear slid down her cheek.

“You sure?”

She nodded, swiftly. It was clear that her pain was becoming unbearable, but he didn’t want to push anything she didn’t want.

She shouted in agony--her sobs all the same.

“It’s okay baby. I’ll take care of you.” Michael reassured.

Mariah rested her head down on his chest, her face drenched.

“I’m so sorry Mike.”

“I know, I know. It’s okay though, you didn’t do anything wrong.” He said.

She sighed. “You're so good to me.”

He smiled, rubbing her back. “Because I love you. Now lay down, I'm gonna make you something.”

Mariah obeyed and Michael hopped out of the bed to go to the kitchen. He went to the cabinet and pulled out a can of soup. He poured the contents of the can into a pot, smirking to himself. He knew the exact cause of his wife's illness. It was something all too familiar.

Diana laid down on the pearl white tufted sofa with gold trimmings. Her flowy silk wisteria house dress flowed down to her feet, complimenting her plum toenail polish. Michael sat up on the couch in a white t-shirt, blue jeans, and white socks. His short s-curl contrasting Diana’s long, thick, combed-out mane; while his silky smooth brown skin reflected off her deep, dark brown eyes. The two resembled a queen and her servant boy.

“Oh, Michael, I can’t stand this.”

He gleefully ran his hands down her exposed shoulders, only stopping to kiss it. “It’ll be over soon.”

“I know but I can’t take it! I’ve never felt pain like this.”

He raised a curious eyebrow. “Really?”

“Really. I’ve never had it this bad-”

Chudney came zooming into the room. “Mommy, can I please have-”

“Uh- Did you clean your room?”

Chudney’s eyes downcast, just as Rhonda came walking into the room.

Michael giggled. “You gotta clean your room buddy. Or you won’t be able to get your toys yet.”

Michael always brought the girls gifts whenever he came over. Tracee and Chudney loved playing dolls, while Rhonda was more into makeup and clothes.

Rhonda rolled her eyes. “She’s not talking to you, Mike.”

Diana raised up off the couch. “Don’t you even try it, Rhonda!”

Rhonda glared at her mother. She and Michael always had an easy relationship, but ever since Diana and Michael became closer than just good friends, it bothered her to see them together.

“Now I taught you better than that!” Diana turned back to Chudney. “You take your sister and go clean up your room, ya hear?”

“Yes ma’am.” The two girls said in unison.

Diana shook her head as she watched her girls skip back into the next room.

Michael noticed her grip her stomach in quiet pain.

“You okay?”

She shook her head, laying back down on the couch. “Y’all all gonna stress me out.”

“Me? What did I do?”

Diana huffed. “You really gonna ask me that right now, Michael?”

He shot his eyes down to the ground. He didn’t want to upset her.

“I’m sorry Diane.”

“Stop being sorry all the time.” She looked up at him, grabbing his hand. “I need you to be strong for me right now. This is hard for me, okay?”

Michael nodded, innocently. “Yeah, I just don’t want you to get worked up is all.”

Diana smiled. “I know, honey.”

She kissed his cheek. “I’m sorry I’ve been so mean but I’m just having a hard time. I’m getting too old for all this.”

He nodded. “You have me here. I can help.”

“You always make it sound so easy.”

He raised an eyebrow.

“But I love that about you--your optimism.”

He beamed at her. She knew how to lift his spirits. Unfortunately, she also knew where all his buttons were and had a habit of pushing them like no other.

His eyes traveled over her body as he desperately tried to think of a proper response.

“I love you.”

He leaned down and kissed her neck.

“And Chudney.”

He kissed her collarbone.

“And Tracee.”

Then the top of her breast.

“And Rhonda...” He said, chuckling.

He pulled down the top of her dress. As his hands explored her abdomen, his lips met her nipples.

She giggled at the sensation.

He opened his mouth to speak again.

“And lil Ms. Rosslyn.”

February 12th, 1999

Mariah was feeling a bit better after being bedridden, so she decided to get out for some fresh air and have lunch with Nick, who’d invited her out a few days prior.

“So how you been?” Nick asked.

Mariah took a bite of her pizza before answering. “I been sick lately.”

“What’s wrong?”

She shrugged. “No clue. Mike is acting so weird about it though. Like he’s enjoying it or something?”

Nick shrugged. “Maybe he is. He seemed pretty...irritable when I met him.”

Mariah glared. “He'd never hurt me.”

“I'm not saying that!” Nick exclaimed.

“Then what are you saying?”

“I'm not trying to argue. This might be our last time hanging out together for a while.” Nick said.

Mariah pulled back. “What do you mean?”

He looked down at his slice of pizza.

“Nick?” Mariah frowned. “What are you talking about?”

“Well, I wanted to see you before I left. I'm really getting into this acting thing so I won't be around a lot.” He explained.

She tilted her head to the side. “For how long?”

“Could be a year, could be more.” He replied.

She nodded slowly. “So this is basically goodbye?”

“Yeah...for now.”

February 14th, 1999

“I feel so fancy.” Janet commented.

Mariah giggled at her, feeding Janet grapes as she laid down in her lap.

“You act like someone who ain’t never had money.” Michael said.

Michael and Mariah decided to have a picnic next to Lake Neverland for Valentine’s Day. Michael figured he and Mariah needed something like this to help their relationship, and Janet begged to tag along.

“Ugh! I get so lonely!” Janet randomly shouted.

“Can’t let, just anybody hold me.” Michael sang.

Mariah giggled. “I wish I had a talented sibling.”

“Damn baby. You just threw your siblings all the way under the bus.” Michael responded.

Mariah spoke up. “Wait, Janet, didn’t you give lap dances to that song?”

Michael had war flashbacks. “I cannot believe you just put that image back into my head.”

Mariah chuckled. “I’m sorry.”

“Well, you know what, at least I can see my sister’s veins.” He retorted.

Janet cackled, lifting her head off of Mariah’s lap. “You are such an asshole.”

“That, I am.”

Screech.

“Janet!” Michael and Mariah screamed in unison.

“What?”

“What you do that for?” Michael asked.

“I’m just happy right now!”

“Why?” Mariah asked.

“What do you mean why? Because I’m spending such a beautiful day with my favorite couple! My big brother and his woman. We’re like a little family!”

“Are you our child, Janet?” Mariah asked, jokingly.

“Oooh, Mariah, I like Janet for a girl’s name!” Michael exclaimed.

Mariah stared at Michael, dumbfounded. “...What?”

Before Michael could respond, Mariah started again. “Janet you think you our baby, huh?”

Janet smiled, coyly. “Yes.”

Michael giggled. “You so cute!”

He smushed her cheeks. “My sixth lil baby.”

Janet beamed.

Sixth?” Mariah asked. “Five, baby...you can’t count”

Michael cleared his throat. “No, you’re missing one-”

Mariah cut him off. “You are 32 years old, Janet. You may be small but I couldn’t have given birth to you.”

Janet pinched Mariah’s side. “If you say so…”

“Shut up, I have not gained that much weight.”

Janet and Michael shared a knowing look, Mariah noticed.

Michael chuckled. “It’s nothing to be ashamed of--you’re glowing.”

“Whatever. You know what Jan, where’s your husband? It’s Valentine’s Day, shouldn’t you be with him?” Mariah retorted.

“Uh, fuck him? I don’t care for him? I have a family here?”

Michael laughed. “Why you saying everything like a question?”

“Because your wife just asked a dumb question? So I’m trying to show her how stupid she sound?”

Mariah rolled her eyes. “You still stuck on that certain dream?”

Michael chuckled at his wife. “What are you talking about?”

He picked up his sandwich; which laid next to the grapes, cheese, and wine; and took a small bite.

Mariah eyed Janet.

“What?” Janet asked.

“Nothing…”

Janet huffed. “Okay, so I’ve been having problems with Rene lately.”

“Again?” Michael asked.

“Yes, again.”

Mariah picked up a stack of cheese cuts, taking a large bite of each. “She is so suspicious of him. But I don’t think he’s cheating.”

Really, Mariah? You know what, no comment.

“What did he do?” Michael asked.

“All over some girl at my party.” Janet exclaimed.

Michael’s eyes widened. “Why didn’t you tell me? I would’ve talked to him.”

“And said what?”

“Just see where his head is.” Michael responded.

“Well I know where his head is.” Janet replied.

Mariah rolled her eyes.

“What?” Janet asked. She took a deep breath. “Why can’t I just find someone to love me like I deserve?”

“Like James?” Mariah responded, teasingly.

Michael raised an eyebrow. “Debarge?”

Janet shrugged.

Michael twisted his lips to the side, his eyes downcast. He didn’t really like to talk about James with Janet. He knew he was her first love and it made him slightly uncomfortable to bring him up. “Listen, Janet, that man had a problem.”

“I know we ain’t talking about people with problems…” Janet retorted.

“Really, Dunk?” Michael said.

“What?” Mariah asked.

Janet glanced at Mariah. “Nothing.”

“Nah, she tryna be funny.” Michael responded. “Whatever.”

Mariah raised an eyebrow. Michael could tell she didn’t understand Janet’s reference.

“Don’t worry about it baby. Janet need to deal with her own issues with the man who threatened to commit suicide if Joseph didn’t let them stay together instead of tryna be a comedian.”

Janet narrowed her eyes. “Very cheap, Michael.”

He furrowed his eyebrows. “I will never understand why you would even want someone unstable like that in your life.”

“I loved him, Mike. And he loved me. He made me feel special, not like those other guys.”

Michael took a deep breath, going for his wine glass.

Janet continued. “From the moment I met him, he got me. He understood what it was like to come from a big family and see the rivalry that it could create. He helped me come out of your shadow. He got that.”

“My shadow?” Michael said. “Janet, I always encouraged you having your own spotlight. I was always supportive of you.”

“I know but it’s like--this shadow that wasn’t even your fault. I mean you’re off singing ‘We Are The World’, and Joseph’s got me trapped at home. I can’t even leave really unless it has something to do with y’all and I’m 17/18 years old.”

Michael gulped down his wine. He knew his sister always felt shielded, but he never realized she felt like his shadow.

Janet started again. “And it’s like James stepped in and he gave me this confidence. He brought me out of those confines. He turned me into a woman.”

Michael’s stomach churned at the words.

Janet continued. “He gave me a sense of power that I never had growing up. I felt like I could make my own decisions and create my own happiness for the first time ever. I didn’t always have to depend on the Jackson 5 or Michael or whoever. I could just depend on Janet.”

“Damn.” Mariah commented, stuffing more cheese down her throat. “I didn’t know it was like that.”

Janet nodded her head--her eyes reminiscent.

Michael pulled Janet in for a side hug and gave her a kiss on the cheek, causing her to smile.

Mariah cheesed. “Awww! You two are so sweet! If I just met you, I’d never think you two were cussing, spitting, sailors!”

Janet giggled. “Shut the hell up, Mariah.”

Michael smiled, stroking Janet’s upper back.

Mariah soon went for Michael’s wine glass.

You better not.

She put the glass up to her lips before Michael reached over and popped her hand.

“Hey!” Mariah shouted.

Janet looked at Michael like he was crazy.

Michael raised an eyebrow. “What?”

“What you mean, ‘what’?” Janet asked. “What you do that for?”

Michael took a deep breath. “She don’t need to be drinking.”

Janet looked at Mariah, studying her as she went for food instead. “You should be popping her for scarfing down this food. She gon blow up as big as the house.”

Michael chuckled, taking a sip of wine. He placed his nearly-empty glass down on the blanket and played with Mariah’s hand.

“Well I’m not too worried about that. Babies need food, not alcohol.”

Mariah shared a confused glance with Janet.

“What?” Janet asked, chuckling.

“What she said.” Mariah added, pointing to Janet. “I’m a grown ass woman, Michael--not a baby.”

“I didn’t say you were a baby, did I? I said you don’t need to drink, but you do need to eat more-”

He picked up his glass, finishing it off. “-Especially since you’re pregnant.”

Janet choked on her grapes.

“What?”

Hi you guys! As you know I've been working really hard with school, work, and working on this story so I'd really appreciate it if you guys tried to shoot for at least ten comments a chapter so that I can know if you guys are really enjoying the story or not.
Thanks!
--Management

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8K 89 9
Time has passed and the two have grown. One in a new state, the other building an entire empire. They both moved on with their lives, growing and mat...
49.4K 2.6K 28
A person may seem perfect in the beginning, but when their true colors surface things aren't what they seem to be. Everything that glitters ain't gol...
18.3K 776 65
Continuing on from It's Just Fiction, the newly engaged couple move forward with life, love, and family as they enter the journey of becoming Mr. and...
5.6K 160 24
After being through 3 marriages with women quite shorter than him, Michael will finally experience what it's like to be in a relationship with a 5'9...