When Love Hurts | Dramione...

By philocalic

"This is all your bloody fault, Malfoy." When an accidental spell throws Hermione Granger and Draco Malfoy ba... More

Accidental
The Past And Future
The Marauders
Meet The Gryffindors
Know It All
Ferret
Hope
Propositions
Missing
Hogsmeade
Loyalty
The Yule Ball
Half-truths
Separated
Suspicions
Trouble
Epiphanies
Marauding Around
Logic
Try For Felicity
Little Secrets, Big Secrets
Devenir Mon Esprit Animal
Ethereal
The Calm Before the Storm
Eclipse
Mistakes
Selflessness
Denouement
Facing Reality
Amity
Trust
Explosive
Our New Home
Our/Your/My Present
The Sorting Hat
Flashback
Déjà Vu
Love Potions
Forgotten
Perfidious
Nothing Deserves To Fade Away
Français
Regrets
Explanations
Conclusions
Memories
Confessions
Angels
Flawed
Changes
Pain
Deception
Problematic
Revealed
Functions
Darkness
Breaking
The Start
The Recipe
Helpless
Invitations
Strategizing
Preparations
Honesty
The Christmas Ball
Questioning
Pensieve
Gifts
Contempt
Malfunction
Fear
Evil
Friends
New
Lyra
Aurora
Storm
War
Falling
Desolate
Horcrux
Crown
Destroy
Light
Epilogue
Other Stories!
EXCERPT: 01 || I Nearly Killed Cupid
Saving Riddle: Summary and Excerpt
Pride! (Wolfstar Oneshot)
Half A Million!?

Before the Yule Ball

16.4K 494 252
By philocalic

Hermione's POV 

Hermione didn't know if she was in hell or heaven. For one thing, there were tons of pretty products with nice logos and good scents. On the other hand, there were also fearsome contraptions ("It's an eyelash curler!") and an even more fearsome Lily ready to do Merlin knew what to her. 

Hermione shuddered, plotting ways to escape. When she did her makeup for her last Yule Ball, she simply used a spell that she had stolen from one of Lavender's books. It was a lot easier, needless to say. 

"Getting ready - duh!" Lily ran around, hanging up their dresses and performing an ironing spell on it. 

"But... the ball doesn't start until - " Hermione protested, only to be cut off. 

"Don't be daft, we need time to get ready," Lily started to perform complicated spells on her red hair.

"We could've come up an hour earlier or so," Hermione suggested timidly. 

Lily eyed her darkly. "Please sit down."

 Hermione once again marveled at how close they had become. If Lily had survived - Hermione's throat got tight at this - she and Ginny would've been the best daughter and mother-in-law relationship ever. 

Though, of course, Harry and Ginny weren't married - yet. 

They weren't born either. 

And Lily and James weren't married, too. 

Hermione took a deep breath to steady herself. 

"Should I help?" Hermione smiled at Lily. 

She could put on a show, at least. 

Common Room

Draco's POV 

After Hermione was whisked off to do whatever girls do to make themselves look pretty before balls, Draco hung out with the Marauders. 

He thought he would hate the Marauders, and they would hate him. He was certain his habits about calling people the M-word would come back, and boom, he was the Dark Lord's supporter again. 

But James Potter was one of the kindest people he had ever met, and was nothing like Scarhead, even though they looked practically alike. And yeah, whatever, being kind was lame, but it was also kind of nice to be friends with someone who knew the difference between 'their' and 'they're'. 

 Sirius Black he kind of knew, mostly as the blood traitor - the Gryffindor, and, he supposed, his cousin? Second cousin? But he, like James, was also nice and someone who annoyed Peeves everyday and got them out of doing classwork when he set Flitwick on fire. 

And you're the Gryffindor blood traitor now, Draco reminded himself. Associating with Muggleborns and being in this bloody red and gold house. 

Draco shifted uncomfortably, wishing he could just disappear. But here he wasn't under his father, and the Dark - Voldemort didn't even know he existed. As far as everyone knew, he was a clueless American. 

Draco continued his observation of the Marauders.

Remus Lupin. He was smart and kept the others out of trouble, especially Sirius. Out of all of them, Remus was the one that Draco could relate to the most. They both were being forced to do something he didn't want to do. Him, changing into a werewolf, and Draco, becoming a Death Eater. 

Thinking about this, he covered his blank forearm. He only had wanted to please his parents, but he was too far gone, about to get the mark, and then he would be Voldemort's pet. 

He wished he could stay in the past. That's how bad his predicament was; he wanted to grow old with people he barely knew in a world he had only read about in history books. 

With his parents, who were his age. 

His life was messed up.

 But if he did go back, would life be better for him? Maybe Hermione would help him, put in a good word for him in the Order... Who was he kidding?

 Hermione would never to that for him. He knew exactly what she thought of him.

 But what if she didn't think that way anymore? Their past situations had made them... less hostile towards each other. 

You are only going to the ball together because you know no one else, Draco severely reprimanded himself. Not because you are friends.

But what if - 

He was broken out of his thoughts by Sirius snapping his fingers in his face.

 "Mate, you there?" Sirius literally yelled into his ear. 

"Merlin! Yes! I am!" he said, wiping bits of saliva out of his hair. "Disgusting, Sirius!" he wailed, wiping his fingers on to the dark haired boy's sleeve.

 This whole thing was so out of character for him; having fun - playful teasing. Normal teenage things. But Draco wanted this, and fit in so well with this, not the route his parents set out for him. 

Remus smiled at him over the top of a book, shaking his head at Sirius. 

Draco felt extremely guilty every time he looked at Remus, remembering the way he had ridiculed the werewolf. He knew it hadn't even happened, but... Remus was the best teacher they ever had.

 And Peter. He was hard to judge. Draco had already hated him - he had betrayed his friends - no Slytherin would ever do that. Everyone looked down at Slytherins, but no matter what happened, they would not rat on their own friends. But now, Peter looked just like a mouse. Exactly like a mouse, timid and shy. 

How could someone so small and insignificant have such a major role to play in this war?

"Draco! You never told us how you and Hermione met! We would love to know that story!" James giggled. 

"Are you already drunk?" Draco enquired, taking in James' stumbling form.

"Storytime!" Sirius clapped his hands and sat down, Peter scrambling to sit, too. "We wanna knoooow!"

Remus looked at Sirius. "Thinking about how to get Allison to notice you?"

Sirius scoffed. "I'm not one for getting girlfriends."

"Tell us, tell us, tell us!" James chanted. 

 "Great! Good story! Very nice one, actually. Nice. And sweet. And cute. And, um, romantic. Also, very, very sweet. Did I say that already? Well actually, you know? G - Hermione. Hermione should, uh, tell this story. Because it's a great, totally true story. Not kidding. Even the chocolate pudding part." Draco cursed himself for rambling. Chocolate pudding? What was he thinking? 

And what happened to being such an elegant Malfoy? It was like any time he was placed in an unfamiliar situation, his brain turned into jello and he started spewing whatever he thought of. 

He took a deep breath. "Bea - Hermione. She'll tell you all about it."

Hermione's POV 

Hermione was starting to feel pressured by Lily's constant insistence that she should start putting things on, so she was extremely grateful when Draco called.

But when she came down and saw five expectant faces looking at her, she almost wished she was back with Lily. 

"G - Hermione! They want to know how we met!" Ma - Draco said, trying to look cheerful, but the look in his eyes was begging for help.

 "Oh, of course!" she said merrily, inwardly cursing M - Draco for getting her into this predicament. "It's such a cute story. We were like, Cavetis' power couple!" 

Malf - Draco eyed her weirdly, and Hermione let out a sigh of frustration. She was no good at lying. Sure, she had to lie for Harry and Ron many times earlier (or would it be later?) but it was usually for a good cause. 

"Well, we were in Cavetis, and we hated each other," she started, then grimaced at starting it with a true statement. Sirius and James were still looking at her eagerly, so she forged ahead. "And, um, we - " 

Draco cleared his throat. "If I could interject - ?" 

That was the most polite thing I've ever heard come out of his mouth. 

"Um, yeah?" Hermione squinted at him, hoping he hadn't gone an made this story even harder.

"Well, I wanted to remind you to elaborate on the pudding part!" Draco gestured frantically with his hands.

Of course he did.

"Why would I forget?" Hermione grinned, then went back to dishing out lies as fast as a fast-food restaurant. 

"You see, we had an, er, ball. Yes, and it was and, uh, wait, I forgot what you called it... oh, a masquerade! No one knew who was who. I accidentally flung pudding at Draco... it stained his shirt, because, uh, it was brown, I mean, chocolate pudding. And afterwards, even though his shirt was ruined, we danced, and talked a lot. And it was a - a winter's ball. Like a Yule Ball. Like now! Haha. Right. And, erm, mistletoe was hanging there... We kissed. And now here we are!" Hermione did an awkward thumbs up. "Ready for another Yule Ball. Yep!" 

"Exactly! Couldn't have said it better myself." Draco announced, obviously relieved she has come up with a sort of convincing cover. 

The Marauders left after cooing, cooing! over the story.

Draco let out a minuscule sigh, then turned to face Hermione.           

"I suppose that I - " he stopped, trying to find the right words. "I owe you one now," he said very fast. 

"Where is the thank you part?" Hermione faked an air of arrogance. 

"It is true we hated each other, true we kissed, true we went to a ball - we just didn't talk. So, it was really pretty easy for you to come up with that," he shrugged, oblivious that the mention of the kiss had gotten Hermione blushing and flustered.

She cleared her throat. "Then why did you need my help?" she challenged. 

"Well - " 

"The masquerade was totally original, so was the winter's ball, and the mistletoe... and chocolate pudding! Why did you even say something about that?" Hermione asked, a slight smile on her lips.

"I - I panicked, alright? Secondly, how did you know it was chocolate?" Draco asked. 

"Did you give them a flavor? I just winged it." Hermione grinned. 

"I did say chocolate. Hermione Granger just... winging something?" Draco raised an eyebrow.

"Nope. I had exactly, 10.54 seconds to prepare." Hermione told him.

Draco just stared.

"Did I wing it?" Hermione asked.

Draco kept staring.

"That's what I thought. Ciao, ferret! Guess we both have to agree that I'm a better liar than you!" She purposely flicked her hair in his face, and ran up the stairs. 

After all, now there was only an hour left till the ball, and no one wanted to deal with an angry Lily Evans.

Well, now it is. You're welcome.

*Bows*

Dedicated to Lyra_malfoy_black for adding this to their 'best dramione' reading list! It really made my day!

Hope you enjoyed!

Eliza 🐿

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

568K 16.5K 22
On a fateful mission gone wrong, Auror Draco Malfoy gets mauled by a werewolf in an attempt to save his partner's life. When they rush him into St. M...
6.5K 218 13
𝐍𝐨 𝐨𝐧𝐞, 𝐞𝐬𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐢𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐲 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐦, 𝐡𝐚𝐝 expected their relationship to bloom the way it had. They had very little in common, never paid mu...
1.9M 68.8K 50
She'd expected to possibly give her life to this war, she'd even prepared for the reality that they might lose the war. But the one thing Hermione Gr...
320K 9.2K 39
'We'll 𝐬𝐚𝐟𝐞𝐭𝐲 𝐩𝐢𝐧, the pieces of our broken hearts back together' "I have to brew a difficult potion with him for months. And guess who my p...