A Cruel Jest?

By ShelbyWinds

The world is ruled by vampires and has been for known history, they are our masters and we their food, but so... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
Epilogue 44

22

374 36 31
By ShelbyWinds

"Watch her. I have some unfinished business I need to deal with and it will be easier if I do it while she's sleeping." Nocturne orders Terrance.

"Yes, of course Sire. But you do remember that when she's unconscious she seems to see what you do right?"

That reminder sets Nocturne off. "Shit, I'd totally forgotten. Let me know when she wakes and then keep her busy. She's not going to like what happens and she doesn't need to see it." Nocturne replies.

"Very well." Terrance replies knowing better than asking what he wants to know.

"I'm going to find the man responsible for trying to murder Mori. The opportunity hasn't arisen until now." Nocturne knows his friend well enough to know that he wouldn't ask but wants to know.

"She's had both human and vampire food, she should be fine for a few hours at least. Who is set to come tonight?" Nocturne asks his mind elsewhere and not focused on the rotation schedule of feedings.

"Lord Jerus." Terrance replies and takes a step back at Nocturnes look. "I know you don't trust him, but he is truly loyal to you. I'm staking my life on this Nocturne."

"If Jerus proves to be a traitor you are staking your life on it. I hope for your sake old friend that you aren't wrong. I don't want her left alone with him. He may have proved his loyalty good enough for you but not for me." Nocturne watches as Terrance bows his head in submission before he leaves.

Nocturne prowls around the village silently and unseen. He marvels at how easy it is to fool the humans. Truly they are no better than food. Then he thinks back to Mori and amends his thoughts. Humans are no better than food other than Mori. She at times confuses him and turns his world upside down. Things he'd thought were true for centuries he's finding himself questioning. Just as she does him.

He doesn't understand why this is happening. The bond, the actual desire to protect her, the need he has to see her happy. That's never happened to him before. Well obviously not the bond or he'd likely be dead already, but the rest...

Ahh, the subject of his hunt. He growls lowly to himself. It was as he suspected, it's the man from the diner. The one that hurt Mori emotionally years ago. Nocturne smiles to himself. This is even better than he had anticipated.

He's going to have to break the no killing the villagers promise he'd made Mori. This man tried to kill her and he'd try again, he cannot be allowed to live. That he'd hurt Mori years earlier just goes to show that people don't change for the better. Mori was more than fortunate that she found out this man wasn't worth while.

Nocturne follows the man until he receives the signal from Terrance that Mori is awake. Mori must have been exhausted because Nocturne had followed the man for hours. Hours that he planned the best way to kill the man before him.

"Terrance take Mori away from the cliff and keep her distracted." Nocturne instructs and once he's sure that Terrance has had enough time to comply Nocturne strikes.

Nocturne grabs the man and flies him up and over to the cliff. Once the man realizes what is going on Nocturne speaks, "Murder is such an ugly thing. Truly one of human kinds ugliest traits. I've heard us vampire called many things, but truly when it comes to murder...did you really think I wouldn't find out that you tried to kill Mori? Or that I wouldn't care? You and the other villagers are only alive because she has asked that I be merciful towards you. But then again she doesn't know that it was you that tried to kill her."

Nocturne is so full of anger that he's not truly satisfied with the simple death he has planned for this man. So he decides to play a game of catch with him. He drops him and then goes to catch him. The look of terror on the man's face is priceless and helps to settle some of the anger he feels. He smiles darkly and lets the man go once more after he reaches the top of the cliff.

He continues this for a couple more catch and release moments, but decides he's tired of his game. He takes the man to the top of the cliff one last time and lets go. This time instead of catching the man he keeps him company as he falls to his death.

At the bottom of the cliff Nocturne stands next to the wrecked body of the man and smiles a most decidedly cruel smile. Had the vampires of court seen it they would have backed away from him and stayed out of his way for several days.

Mori wakes up under the bright light of the sun. She had fallen asleep under the shade of the tree. She couldn't believe that she'd slept for so long or that Nocturne would let her.

But looking around she doesn't see Nocturne, just Lord Terrance. She is confused and more than a little upset. Then she chides herself. Nocturne is the king of the vampire, he has better things to do than stay with one human woman.

"How do you feel?" Terrance asks seeing her wake up and stretch.

"Far better than I did this morning. Nocturne left you to babysit me huh? Sucks for you. Truly isn't there something more important for you to be doing than babysitting a full grown woman that is fully capable of taking care of herself?" Mori says with more than a touch of bitterness. She also conveniently forgets that she did need help earlier that day.

"My lady, there is nothing of greater importance than that of your and your babies health and safety." Terrance replies.

At this Mori allows her mental shields down. "MY babies?" She shakes her head, "You mean Nocturnes babies don't you? They will be taken from me and placed elsewhere to be raised." Her bitterness is full blown now. She had given up on having a family years ago and now that she's having kids, once they are born she'll never see them again.

Terrance is shocked at her words and isn't prepared for them. All he can do is blink, at least at first. "That would be the normal course of things, but your case is different Mori. You are the consort to our king. Your life is linked with his, I don't know what he has prepared for the children but I do know that you will be a part of it."

Mori smiles bitterly, "That is of course if I survive the birthing of the babies." With this statement Terrance has nothing he can say and Mori is content to let the silence reign. She looks over the escarpment before her. She has her mental shields up completely so Terrance has no idea what she is thinking.

Mori isn't really thinking anything at this point. She just allows the beauty of the scene fill her. She can tell that Nocturne hasn't gone far, but that he left her with Terrance means he's doing something that she probably won't want to know about.

Suddenly she gets anxious and feels the need to leave, perhaps do some hunting. She hasn't done any for awhile and her meat stores are nearly gone. Without saying anything to her babysitter she takes off back to the cabin.

Once there she says, "Unless you wish to see more of me than you already have, and I wouldn't want that, you should stay outside. I'm just going to change into my hunting clothes."

"Very well, but please hurry. Nocturne would be very unhappy for me to leave your side for more than just a few minutes." Terrance says nervously. He hates being put in this position, either he fails Nocturnes orders or he angers Mori.

Mori takes very little time to change and grabs her hunting weapons, this time she chooses the bow and arrow. "I know you and all vampire are excellent hunters. Please, just don't involve yourself in my hunt. Follow me if you must, but stay out of it."

"As you wish." Terrance says but doesn't think he'll be very impressed with her hunting abilities.

He reevaluates that thought as she hands him another animal to carry. Although for him they aren't heavy he wonders how a human could carry so much. "Normally when I hunt, I only take down one large animal or a couple of small ones. But since you're here I thought I would use your lovely strength. There is a glade up ahead where I usually clean the animals. I haven't come across any signs of bear around so we'll hang the animals up there until after I can skin them."

Terrance is once more silenced. Her efficiency in cleaning the animals and hanging them up has left him speechless. All he can do is watch as she hangs them all up neither asking for nor receiving help as she does so. "There, has enough time passed for Nocturne to be done with whatever he wanted me distracted for or do I need to find something else?"

"You knew? About him wanting you distracted I mean?" Terrance asks astounded.

"I know he's still here in the valley. I know he has you babysitting me. That means he's off doing something he doesn't want me knowing about. Which means he needs me distracted so I don't have to see the hell he has prepared. And since I don't wish to see whatever twisted game he wants to play I need to know, is he done?" Mori says calmly. But inside she's less than happy.

"Yes, he just finished." Terrance replies faintly. He's more than a little terrified of this human woman. He's thankful that she hadn't been born a vampire, she would've given Nocturne and even his brother a run for their money for the throne.

"Where have you been?" Nocturne demands once they've returned to the cabin.

Then the smell of blood reaches his nose and he becomes almost insane. Terrance has a hard time controlling the maddened vampire. Mori does something that leaves both Terrance and Nocturne, once he comes back to himself, staring at her. She slaps him. And it wasn't a light slap either. Her hand print is at first a light red against his fair skin, but even as she watches it darkens to a deeper red that promises to change colors to black and green later on.

As the silence grows in the cabin Mori speaks, "Are you ready to listen? Or are you still wanting to kill me because I'm covered in blood and entrails?" Mori grabs clothes and heads into the bathroom. Before she shuts the door she says, "I went hunting. Didn't you want me occupied so I wouldn't see what you were up to? Hunting is the best way since I have to concentrate so completely on the hunt." She shuts the door and takes off her bloodied clothes. They had become so saturated with blood that she doubts she'll be able to get the blood out.

"Were you?" Nocturnes voice startles her as does his hands touching her.

"Was I what?" Mori has a hard time concentrating on his words as his hands trail fire all over her body.

"Were you distracted?" Nocturne asks once more as they step into the shower.

"I like this distraction more." Mori says as Nocturne kisses her and then she loses all sense of the conversation. The water turns cold long before the two finish.

Nocturne dries her off with a towel he'd brought from one of his estates. He didn't like the blue color to her skin tone. "You didn't answer my earlier question Mori, were you distracted by your hunt?" Mori debates about telling him the truth or not and decides to do so.

"No, you killed him after playing with him cruelly. How he didn't die of a heart attack before you were done playing with him is beyond me." Mori says softly.

Nocturne smiles, "Who says he didn't have a heart attack? Actually he had several, I just made sure he stayed alive until I was done."

"Why?" Mori didn't understand.

"He's the one that pushed you off the cliff. His life was forfeit Mori, he tried to take something that was MINE." Nocturne replies.

"Your's? Well I guess by law I am. But he didn't know that at the time." Mori replies. She didn't like the possessiveness of Nocturne's statement, but has to admit to its validity.

Nocturne grabs her chin, "Ignorance is no excuse. Besides, murder is against the law is it not? His life was forfeit by his actions either way." Nocturne knows that he hasn't convinced her. "You're evening meal will be here soon. At least the vampire portion, do you feel up to fixing a human meal as well?"

Mori pushes herself away from the still wet vampire as she dresses in the clothes she brought in. "Yes. It's not the same vampire that I got sick from last time is it?"

She studiously avoids looking at Nocturne as he dries himself. "No, it's someone new. Look, Terrance will remain with you while you feed. I don't trust him, but Terrance does. I've information about my brother that I have to look into.

"If the information pans out then you'll need to find a distraction, because otherwise you'll see the cruel side of me you only had a taste of."

"Lord Jerus, this is Mori." Nocturne introduces the two shortly thereafter.

Mori isn't sure how she feels about this new vampire in her cabin. She keeps her eyes on him as Terrance and Nocturne leave the cabin to talk.

"You're not in his normal court." Mori finally says to break the silence.

"No, Nocturne," Jerus's lips turn up at the name, "has never trusted me enough to allow me into his inner court." Jerus comes over to Mori and runs his hand over her face in a caress. "I see now why he has hidden himself away. A human of beauty and blood that calls so strongly. Terrance says that you carry the heir to the throne. Yet why would 'Nocturne' need help feeding a lowly human?"

"What the hell are you doing Jerus?" Terrance says coming in the door. "If Nocturne saw you touching her he'd kill you on the spot."

"Would he? I wonder why? A human breeder, no matter how lovely or tasty shouldn't have precedence over one of us." Jerus daringly slides his hand over her breast.

Mori narrows her eyes at the vampire before her and slaps him even harder than she had slapped Nocturne earlier. Then before he could get over the shock she knees him in the family jewels. He keels over moaning in agony. "Why? Because she is his consort and you don't touch what is his. She is above you. Don't touch her again." Terrance is about to say but Nocturne's voice over rides him.

"Terrance has sworn to your loyalty on his life, I don't wish to kill him due to your disloyalty." Nocturnes words have Jerus looking at Terrance wide eyed.

Swallowing his pain and moans, "I swear Sire, I am loyal. I didn't realize that she is ..."

"MINE!" Nocturne states emphatically but in a whisper soft voice.

Jerus's eyes enlarge and even though the pain is incredible he makes himself stand and bows to his king. "Of course My Liege."

"Jerus, I would talk with you before I leave." Nocturne says and turns with one last look at Mori he leaves the cabin.

Mori walks over to Terrance, "What is going on Terrance?" Mori asks silently, she thought she'd be reprimanded at the very least for striking a vampire.

"You're wondering why you weren't punished?" Terrance guesses.

"Yes, but that's not all." Mori replies.

Terrance smiles at her with fondness. "You are his consort Mori. That makes you Lady Mori. And of a much higher standing than all other vampire's except Nocturne. What he did demanded reprisal and yours although appropriate is far more merciful than what Nocturne would have given."

To say that Mori is surprised is an understatement. Her, placed above high level vampires? She shakes her head in wonderment. "Okay, but what about the rest? What information does he have?"

Terrance's good humor vanishes as if it never existed. "We've located some of his brother's men. And by locate I mean we've captured. They aren't lowly vampires either, they are traitors to the king. High born vampires that betrayed Nocturne. He will be questioning them tonight."

Mori turns white. That's what he meant, but what can she do to avoid seeing the evil Nocturne is capable of? "Oh hell. What am I going to do Terrance, I'm sure he has special plans for the traitors. I really don't wish to be a part of that."

"I know you won't like what I have to say, but it'll be for the best." Terrance says slowly. Nocturne hadn't liked the idea either but truly there would be little choice. The bond is too strong to keep Mori away.

"There is a reason I choose Jerus for tonight. I knew Nocturne would need to leave to take care of business. Jerus, he's loyal don't get me wrong, but he also has a problem understanding that some things don't belong to him. You're beautiful Mori, stunning actually, add that to your blood that calls to any vampire you are practically irresistible.

"I know that you belong to Nocturne. But tonight you will need to allow Jerus to pleasure you in bed. There is no better distraction than sex that I know of." Terrance says and takes a step back. He doesn't like the look in her eyes.

"Nocturne!" Mori screams as she heads for the door. She opens or rather flings the door open. Her look sends Jerus fleeing to the safety of the cabin where Terrance had the brains to remain.

"You really want me to sleep with another vampire?" Mori demands so angry that her whole body is shaking. "You're just going to whore me out whenever it's convenient for you?" Once she manages to choke out those words the hurt and pain she feels mix with the anger so completely that she can't say anything else.

"No. I don't want anyone else to touch what is mine. However, I feel that is the lesser of the two evils Mori. What I have planned for tonight, I don't want you to experience even second hand. You must be busy to block it. If you're not then you'll see and feel everything that I do." He smiles wickedly. "It's something I've had planned for a long time for the traitors and I can't not do it now that they are in my power.

"Ultimately though it will be up to you. If you don't wish him to touch you and would rather enjoy the pleasures I have planned for tonight then by all means enjoy them with me. But I'm warning you Mori, it will not be pleasant."

Mori breaks at these words. She has no desire to see what he has planned. She's heard of some of his tortures and believes he has something even worse planned for the traitors. But still she has no desire for another to touch her.

She feels a presence behind her. "I promise Mori, you will be too distracted to pay attention to what Lord Nocturne will be doing." She doesn't see what Jerus does but Nocturne nods his permission. Jerus slides his hands down her arms and then gently moves her hair away from her neck. "I will make it as pleasurable as I can for you." He whispers in her ear before kissing her neck.

Mori allows the tears to run down her face. She keeps eye contact with Nocturne until he can no longer tolerate her silent look of betrayal.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

905K 24.7K 24
Thousands of years ago, an oath was made by the villages surrounding a castle run by the Vampire King, that every five years they would offer 3 maide...
77.3K 4.8K 58
Thousands of centuries ago humans, vampires, and werewolves lived together in harmony, considering one equal to the other. Ruled by a council of thre...
402 59 168
A vampire princess finding her way threw her teenage years to become the queen she was always destined to be.
1.2K 8 6
He was looking for prey She was being hunted He is the Vampire King She is an ordinary Werewolf They are MATES This is their story * Book One in...