Remember the Time

By historynerd0401

{1996 - 2001} Marriage... Sounds like bliss to Michael and Mariah after the events of the past six years, but... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117

Chapter 61

744 23 76
By historynerd0401

May 22nd, 1998

It was a long ride back to the condo from Sony HQ. After Michael took it upon himself to beat he and Mariah’s boss within an inch of his life, Mariah couldn’t help but feel confused and insecure about the state of her career.

“I can’t even look at you right now.” Mariah started, finally breaking the silence.

Michael sat as far away from Mariah as possible on the other side of the car. He just stared out of the window.

“Baby I’m sorry.” Michael said, his voice soft.

“You’re sorry? Michael what the hell are we gonna do when we’re broke with two kids and families to take care of? Did you think about that?” Mariah questioned.

“I didn’t mean for it to go that-”

“Oh stop it! You can’t control yourself, Michael! You react and you don’t even think!”

“I did it for you.” He explained.

“For me? For me? No Michael, you did it for yourself!” She shouted.

“What was I supposed to do?” Michael asked, exhausted eyes peering out of the window. “Watch him beat your ass?”

“I can handle myself!”

Michael snapped his head around to face Mariah. “No you can’t!”

Bill, in the front passenger seat while Wayne drove, looked back at them.

Mariah glared at the much older man. “We’re good.”

“You sure? Because the last time y’all did this in a car-”

“We’re good, Bill.” Michael interrupted.

Bill shrugged and shook his head, turning back around in his seat.

Mariah huffed. “You’re fucking ridiculous Michael. I don’t even know how to even begin- We have children Michael.”

Michael closed his eyes and tilted his head back.

“Oh so you’re not gonna say anything?”

“What do I have to say, Mariah?” Michael responded, cooly. “I fucked up. But I did it for a good reason-”

Here we go. Mariah threw her hands up in irritation.

“He could have hurt you and then my kids would’ve been without a mother. What was I supposed to do?” Michael said.

“Oh so if Nicki and Noni weren’t here you would’ve just let him beat my ass, huh?”

Michael, eyes still closed and tone still eerily calm, shook his head. “I did not say that.”

“Okay well you implied it, how bout that?” Mariah replied.

Michael sighed. “I can’t win for losing. I don’t even know why you’re mad-”

“Because it’s my career, Michael!”

Michael’s eyes snapped open as he moved over into Mariah’s personal bubble.

“Fuck your career!” Michael shouted. “Fuck it! I don’t care, Mariah! I don’t give a damn if you ever worked again! You’re not doing anything life changing, you’re just pumping out your best imitation of Minnie Riperton! Humble yourself!”

“You humble yourself, Michael! You know what men would do to be with me? I am a superstar Michael, deal with it. Or is that your problem? You can’t handle the fact that you’re with a woman that can actually compete with you?”

Bill and Wayne burst out laughing. Michael smirked too.

“Is that what you really think, sweetheart?” Michael asked patronizingly.

Wayne chuckled louder. “I hate to butt in-”

“Then don’t.” Mariah demanded.

Bill turned around in his seat. “Mariah, babygirl, Michael is a living legend. You good but you don’t have the 35 years experience.”

“We’re tied for #1’s though so...” Mariah retorted.

Wayne shook his head. “Mariah: Off The Wall, Thriller, Bad, Dangerous. Hell, every Jackson 5 album. Stop this.”

Blah, blah, blah.

Michael shook his head, smirk growing on his face.

“Oh so because I haven’t been doing slave labor since I was five years old, I’m not as good?”

Michael’s lips formed a hard line. “Slave labor?”

Bill glared at Mariah. “Did you really just-”

“She did.” Wayne jumped in.

Michael rolled his eyes and huffed, as if he was just trying to let her comment slide. “The point is, you’re a baby in this industry. Stop acting like you’re Donna Summer.”

“Or Diana Ross.” Wayne commented.

Mariah’s eyes branded the back of Wayne’s head.

“Hold now!” Bill shouted, his attention on Wayne. “Don’t even play like that, man, she will fire you.”

“What?” Wayne asked, genuinely confused.

“You’re opening a can of worms, I’m telling you to shut your mouth son.” Bill explained.

Wayne zipped it.

“I’m really done with everyone in this car right now.” Mariah commented. She looked at Wayne, who stared back through the rearview mirror. “You’re this close to getting your ass fired.” She glanced over to Bill. “You- just- You need to stop. You’re too damn old for the games.”

Finally, her eyes fell on her husband.

“And you? You can just shut your damn mouth because you’ve already caused enough mess.”

May 23rd, 1998

Michael smiled as he pulled up to the familiar gates of Neverland. He'd called his mother, who was at Hayvenhurst with the girls while he was in New York, and told her to go to Neverland.

Soon, he was at the the main house. He quickly opened the car door and hopped out. He pulled out his keys and opened the front door of the main house.

“Mother?” He called.

“In here.”

He walked into the kitchen where his mother had the twins in two high chairs.

“When did these get here?” He asked.

Katherine gestured toward the living room. “Jackie and Tito brought them in for me. They put a playpen in the other room too.”

Michael nodded slowly. “So who's here now?”

“Just Toya. So how was New York?”

He cleared his throat. “It was fine. You were right about Mariah.”

Katherine smirked. “I know. But why are you so down?”

“Huh?” He raised an eyebrow as he lifted up Nicole from the high chair.

“Y'all got into it again, didn't y'all?”

Michael shook his head. “No, everything's fine.”

He turned to Nicole. “Hey baby, did you miss daddy?”

Nicole grinned at him.

“I'll take that as yes.” He turned back to his mother. “Did you bring the stroller? I want to take them outside.”

“It should be in the living room.” Katherine said, eyeing her son suspiciously.

Michael nodded and retrieved the stroller. He put Nicole in the stroller and pushed it back into the kitchen to get Noelle.

He strapped Noelle in, and nodded to his mother. “I'll see you later.”

Michael looked down at his girls. Noelle was gnawing on her hand. Nicole was deadpan.

“Smile, Nicki.” He said, tickling her chubby cheek.

Nicole pushed his hand away.

Michael shook his head. “You're just like your mommy.”

He pushed the stroller in the direction of the movie theater.

“So this is the movie theater.” He explained, adopting the tone of a tour guide. “When you guys get bigger you can watch movies in here.”

He kept walking, showing the girls the beautiful landscapes at Neverland, including Mt. Katherine.

While showing the girls Lake Neverland, Nicole let out a yawn.

“Am I boring you?” He asked, chuckling.

He glanced at Noelle to see she’d already dozed off.

“Alright, I guess I'll take you two back now. We'll finish this tour later.”

May 23rd, 1998

Ding dong.

Mariah got up to answer the door and quickly ushered in Brenda and Rachel.

“Girl, what's going on?” Brenda exclaimed. “Why you got security posted up everywhere?”

Mariah took a deep breath. “I'm screwed. Hell, we're screwed.”

Rachel folded her arms. “Shit Morgan here?”

Mariah frowned.

“No! Me and Michael.” Mariah said, sitting back down.

Brenda raised an eyebrow. “Girl, what happened?”

Mariah told Brenda and Rachel the entire story of what went down the day before. Brenda seemed the most shocked by it all.

“Is he gonna be able to stay on the label?” Brenda asked.

Mariah threw her hands up in the air and shook her head as if to say ‘I don’t know’.

“Damn girl, your man loves you. He risked his life for your honor.” Rachel said.

Mariah rolled her eyes.

“What? I mean any man that would continuously put his life on the line to save you over and over-”

“Okay, I get it Rachel. He’s always there for me. But what about the times when he just shuts me out and acts like I’m only good for making babies?” Mariah spat.

“He does what?” Rachel shot back.

“Yes girl. All last year before we had the twins he would shut me completely out and acted like his ex was some sort of supreme being.” Mariah explained.

“Elvis in a wig?” Brenda asked.

“No, not her- You know what, it doesn’t matter. He still treated me like I was beneath her.”

Brenda and Rachel shook their heads in unison. “Have you talked to him about it?”

“And say what? Michael has always made it clear, from day one, what our situation was-”

“Wait, wait, wait, hold up. Your situation?” Rachel asked.

“Yes, our situation.” Mariah responded.

Rachel looked on at her in disbelief. “Mariah, you’re his wife. That’s not a ‘situation’. That’s real shit.”

Mariah sighed. “Well according to him, my goals don’t matter. He doesn’t give a fuck about my career and thinks that I’m just some gimmick.”

“He said that you?” Brenda asked.

“Basically. He doesn’t even want me to work I don’t think.”

Rachel folded her arms, leaning back onto the couch. “Girl, are we gonna have to talk to Mr. Jackson?”

“No. It’s fine. It’s just- I wish he took me seriously, you know. I always feel like he sees me as nothing more than a child with a hobby instead of a serious vocalist. He always compares me to you know, these legends in the industry. And he’s like ‘you think you’re Aretha Franklin’ or something. He even compares me to Whitney and stuff as if she’s so much more ahead of me.” Mariah explained.

Brenda gave a judging eye.

“Brenda!” Mariah shouted in frustration.

“What? Whitney is definitely a queen, Mariah.” Brenda responded.

“Great, so you’re taking his side too?”

“I’m not taking his side, babe. I’m just saying that you’re comparing yourself to people that you’re nothing like. You’re not like Whitney. Whitney has gospel roots. You’re more like Celine, or Dolly, or Cher.” Brenda explained.

“So I’m like a marginally talented white woman, is what you’re saying?” Mariah asked.

“No, honey, no. You’re just- you don’t have that powerhouse southern-gospel thing going on.”

“Okay but neither did Minnie and she was successful.” Mariah retorted.

“Minnie is a very special case.” Rachel added.

Mariah rolled her eyes. “Okay well why, then, does he worship those only vaguely relevant disco stars? They’re not from the church.”

“Vaguely relevant? You mean Donna Summer? He worships Donna Summer?” Brenda laughed.

“No not her. That other one.” Mariah elaborated.

“Mariah, I know you’re not talking about Chaka. She’s a queen.” Rachel responded.

“No! I’m talking about that singing group bitch.” Mariah spat.

“Wait, are you talking about the legend, her royal highness, Ms. Ross The Boss?”

Mariah rolled her eyes. “Don’t even say that name.”

“No she did not just disrespect the goddess of Motown herself.” Brenda said to Rachel, shocked.

“More like the resident prostitute of Motown.” Mariah added.

“So he worships this woman for being the star that she is and you’re mad?” Brenda asked, incredulously.

Mariah could’ve smacked Brenda. “You know what B, it doesn’t even matter. At the end of the day Michael doesn’t take me seriously and it’s really starting to bother me. On top of all that he most likely cost us our jobs. What will I do if I can’t sing?”

“You could always go into cosmetology. With your 500 hours and all these brand new celebrity connections, you should be golden.” Rachel replied.

Mariah rolled her eyes. “And Tommy? What will I do when he tries to kill us?”

“Stop thinking like that. That man will not come after you.” Brenda reassured. “And if he dares try anything I’ll get my cousin Manuel on his ass.”

Mariah huffed. Her friends just didn’t get it. She was knee deep in shit, with no seemingly no way out but down.

May 23rd, 1998

Latoya put Noelle down in the playpen and sat up on the couch. “So what happened?”

Michael took a deep sigh, rubbing his hands over his face. “I did something wrong.”

“What did you do?”

“What doesn’t matter.” He said, staring out into space. “It’s the outcome that matters.”

“What do you mean-”

“I could lose my contract.” He explained.

Latoya raised an eyebrow. “Michael, what did you do.”

“It doesn’t matter. It’s just- I didn’t think. And now my wife doesn’t want anything to do with me.”

Latoya pulled back. “Is it about the money?”

Michael did a double take at Latoya. “The money?”

“Yeah. I mean if your job’s up in the air and Mariah’s mad at you, would it have something to do with that?”

“Toya, no- We’re set. We’re good. My finances are good.” Michael explained.

“And hers?”

Michael frowned. “I’m not going to discuss my finances with you.”

“Okay well you keep talking about your finances and not hers so I’m just confused as to who’s dependent on who in this relationship.”

Michael narrowed his eyes. “Obviously she’s dependent on me.”

“Is she making any money?” Latoya asked.

Michael looked at her skeptically.

“Come on, it’s not like I’m asking you for numbers. I’m your sister, Michael.”

“And Joseph’s my father but I’m never discussing that kind of thing with him again.” Michael responded.

Not everyone is Joseph, Jesus Christ.

“Michael, I just want to be able to help you. This wouldn’t be the first time a girl was using you-”

“I wouldn’t say she’s using me. She has her own money, Latoya. It’s just much, much, less than my money.” Michael explained.

“I see.” Latoya said as she nodded slowly. “But that doesn’t mean much. There are plenty of successful people who still live off of their more successful counterparts…”

Michael raised an eyebrow. “What is your angle, Toya?”

“I don’t have an ‘angle’, Mike. I’m just wondering if this is the same situation-”

“Not even that situation was a ‘situation’. What is it with this whole family and comparing everything? Stop it! Stop doing that.” He responded, his voice raised.

Noelle glanced up at her aunt.

“Okay, okay! I’m sorry.” Latoya said, going for Noelle.

It hadn’t been long since she came out of an abusive relationship and it still triggered her when people yelled at her.

Michael sighed. He looked to immediately regret his reaction. “I’m sorry, I’m just stressed.”

Latoya’s eyes downcast and nodded. “It’s okay. I’m just worried about you. You don’t look good.”

Michael glared at his sister.

“I mean you look sick Michael.”

Michael nodded, a pained expression growing on his face.

“Toya?”

“Yeah?” Latoya responded.

“Can I ask you a question?”

“Of course, sweetie.” Latoya replied.

“Have you ever had an issue with your hair shedding?”

Latoya’s face formed a confused expression.

“Uhh, not really. I mean when I was with my ex there was a lot. And the extensions didn’t help.”

Michael listened intently.

“I’m sorry, why are you asking me this?” She continued.

He flashed his eyebrows. “Mariah’s been wearing extensions like just to make her hair more filled out and stuff. And like, you know, she told me it’s like breaking off--her hair.”

Mariah told you this? Okay Mike…

“Okay, well, does she straighten it a lot?” Latoya asked, stroking Noelle’s cheek.

“She has a chemical in it right now. You know to blend her hair in and stuff.” Michael explained.

A chemical… A half white girl, with a chemical straightener… Sounds legit.

“Michael, are you sure she’s straightening it with a perm? I feel like she wouldn’t do that. I’ve seen her do a press out and it looks really nice.”

“Yeah, I’m sure. I mean she does press outs too because she doesn’t always use a perm but yes, she does use them.” Michael explained.

“Okay sweetheart, well yes it is a very natural thing for people with hair to have stress and especially if they use extensions-”

“Only in certain parts.” Michael interrupted.

“Okay, only in certain parts, to shed. It’ll grow back. Just take care of yourself and try to ease the stress in your life and it should be fine. Also, try wigs to give your hair a break.” Latoya explained.

“Right, right. I’ll let her know then.”

Latoya smirked.

I’m sure you will.

June 1st, 1998

Michael walked into his manager Dieter's office to discuss business. He was supposed to start on another album soon, but with Michael's recent fight with Tommy there was quite a bit of cloudiness as to what Sony would do with his next album.

He sat down with sigh. “Hi Dieter.”

“Hello Michael.” He said, shuffling around some paperwork.

“Must not be good.” Michael guessed.

Dieter finally looked up. “So I talked to the label and...well you need to make major changes to the album.”

Michael raised an eyebrow. “What kind of changes?”

Dieter picked up a piece of paper. “Quote: 'Michael J. Jackson is to produce History: Book II which is to be a three disc set with two discs of new material and one disc of previously released material. History: Book II will be released in October of 1999’.”

“What?” Michael exclaimed. “That's ridiculous, tell them-”

Dieter interrupted. “I already tried. They want the box set or there could be other consequences.”

Michael sighed, knowing what those consequences were. “What's the budget?”

Dieter slid a piece of paper across the table and Michael picked it up.

He clicked his teeth. “This is looking a little light, Dieter.”

“That's the most I could get out of them. They’re funneling a lot of money towards this new girl they’ve got signed to the label.”

Michael frowned.

“Fine, I'll get it done.”

June 1st, 1998

Ring. Ring.

“Hello?” Michael answered.

“Hey.” Mariah responded.

“Hey- Nicki stop it!” Michael called out.

“What is she doing?” Mariah asked.

“She’s trying to eat Noni’s cheeks.” He replied.

Ouch.

“Jesus Mike, are you feeding my babies?”

Mariah could hear Michael deadpan through the phone.

“Yes- I- Nicki, put that down!” Michael momentarily turned his attention back to Mariah. “Hold on baby.”

Mariah nodded as if he could see her and waited while he did something with the twins.

“Hello?” Michael asked.

“Bah bah ba!” Nicole shouted through the phone.

“Hey baby!” Mariah said.

“Nicki be quiet, I’m trying to talk to mommy.” Michael explained.

Nicole continued to yell and babble in the background.

“Okay so what’s up?”

Before Mariah could speak, a voice spoke in Michael’s background. “Michael, where do you want me to put the swings?”

It was Latoya.

“Hold on again.” Michael said to Mariah.

“Put them downstairs in my room.”

Downstairs in his room?

“Hello?”

“Michael, where are you?” Mariah asked.

Michael paused for a moment. “I’m at home.”

Mariah rolled her eyes. “Which home?”

“The one we live in.” Michael replied, sarcastically.

“Don’t try my patience Michael, I’m already upset with you.”

“We’re at Neverland.” He replied.

Of course you are.

“Neverland, Michael? Really?” She said, mildly irritated.

“What? Mother was already here when I flew out last week.”

Bullshit.

“Why didn’t you tell me you’ve been there?” She asked.

“You never asked.”

Mariah rolled her eyes. She made a pact with her husband before the twins were born that they’d stay in Aspen until the girls were old enough to be in the dynamic Neverland environment. But of course, Michael never listened.

“If my babies get sick-”

“Why would I put our kids in a position to get sick, Mariah? Use your brain.” He retorted.

Asshole.

“Whatever Mike. Just don’t be taking them out back around all the animals and stuff.”

“Mariah, I know.” Michael reassured.

Nicole made a zerbert noise.

“I love you to Nicole.” Michael said to his baby in a baby voice. Mariah could hear the smile on his face.

Mariah grinned, though she was still angry with Michael.

“What are they doing now?” Mariah asked.

“Nicole is giving me kisses and love. Noelle is trying to sit up by the couch. She’s with Toya.”

Mariah cheesed. “Tell them I love them.”

“You hear mommy, Nicki?”

“Bah bahh bah buh bah!” Nicole babbled.

“Yes, baby! Tell mommy you love her!” Michael exclaimed.

Nicole went on about something else in her baby talk before she simply began tugging at the phone. Mariah could tell that’s what she was doing based on the sounds of Michael struggling to get it back.

“Lemme talk to Noni.” Mariah requested.

“Okay, hold on.” Michael yelled from afar.

“Noni, say hi to mommy.”

Silence.

“Noni?” Mariah asked.

“Say hi to mommy, Noni.” Michael said in the background.

Nothing.

“Noni, talk to me baby.” Mariah pleaded.

“I think she’s tired baby.” Michael said, sounding much closer to the phone than before. “She’s got her head on Toya’s lap. She wouldn’t even look up at the phone.” Michael said, giggling.

“Who is that?” Latoya asked in the background.

“Mariah.” Michael replied.

“Mariah? Hey girl!” Latoya said.

“Hey!” Mariah said.

“She said ‘hey’.” Michael relayed. He soon turned his attention back to his wife. “You still with Brenda, right?”

“Yeah.”

“Are y’all at her place, or?” Michael asked.

“No, she flew with me home.”

“Oh so you knew I wasn’t there then…” Michael asked.

“Did you think I wasn’t gonna find out?” She responded.

“Mariah, I’m sorry-”

“Uh- No. Don’t try to do that now. Just make sure you get my babies back here as soon as possible.” Mariah interrupted.

Michael sighed and ignored her response. “Are you safe?”

“Michael. Don’t try it. Yes I’m safe but I want my babies back home.”

Michael started again. “Okay...if a weird man comes to the door don’t answer-”

“I’m not an idiot Michael.”

“Well you could’ve fooled me.” He bit.

“You know what bye boy.”

June 8th, 1998

Mariah was in the kitchen talking with Brenda when the back door swung open.

Mariah exchanged a glance with Brenda.

“Michael?” She called out.

“Yeah, it's me.” Michael called back.

Brenda rolled her eyes.

“Took you long enough, Michael I’ve been home for a week.” Mariah responded.

Brenda could hear Michael huff from the other room.

A few moments later, Michael came into the kitchen with the twins in their carseats.

Brenda's eyes widened. “They’re so big. And they look just like Ms. Katie.”

“This is your first time seeing the twins.” Mariah said.

Brenda nodded, playfully glaring at Mariah. “You've been hiding my god babies from me.”

Michael and Mariah shared a confused glance.

Nicole started reaching for Mariah and babbling loudly.

Mariah took her out of her car seat and sat her on her lap.  “Hey baby.”

She looked up at Noelle who was now in her father’s arms. “Hey missy. You don't wanna hug your mommy?”

Noelle rested her head on Michael's chest rubbing her eyes.

“She just woke up.” He explained.

Mariah nodded and looked back down at Nicole who was starting on whine.

“What's wrong, Nicki?”

“She should be hungry.” Michael said. “It's about time for them to eat.”

“Do you think we should start with the baby food?” Mariah asked.

Michael nodded.

Brenda reached out to grab Noelle from Michael while he went into the cabinet. Michael instinctively snatched back. Brenda raised an eyebrow.

“What?” She said.

Michael scrunched up his face. “I just wasn’t expecting you to grab her.”

“Well we weren’t expecting you to take them off to a totally different city but you did.” Brenda bit.

Michael, clearly confused, picked up Noelle’s hand and asked her if she wanted to go to Brenda.

Noelle just cuddled up to Michael.

“She’s good.” Michael explained, eyeing her.

Brenda rolled her eyes.

Michael continued on grabbing the baby food out of the cabinet. He sat Noelle in her brand new high chair and placed the jars of mushed bananas on the island.

Out of nowhere, Michael swiftly moved the jars to the side of the island opposite Mariah and Brenda, all the while staring at Mariah suspiciously.

“What?” Mariah asked.

Michael glanced at Brenda and then back to Mariah, his lips pursed.

“Wha- I- Michael!” Mariah yelled.

“What, I’m just saying. Don’t touch the bananas.” Michael chided.

Mariah gave an irritated smile and rolled her eyes. “Leave me alone.”

Michael stuck his tongue out at her.

Brenda looked on at the two in confusion. She didn’t understand their little inside joke and wasn’t sure if she wanted to.

“You guys are weird.” Brenda interrupted.

Nicole suddenly screamed out at her parents.

“Okay Nicki, relax. I’m getting your food baby.” Michael responded.

Michael opened both jars of bananas and stuck tiny spoons into each. He handed Mariah a jar, glancing at her knowingly before the hand off. Mariah reached behind Noelle’s head and held out her middle finger towards Michael.

Brenda raised her eyebrow at the odd pair.

“Okay mama, so this is bananas.” Michael said to Nicole. “I’m gonna give you the spoon so you can eat it.”

Nicole just stared at him as the spoon approached her face.

Michael gently opened her mouth with the spoon and she bit down, banana oozing out the sides of her mouth. Michael made a chewing motion at her to help her chew the food down.

She looked at him, confused, and tried to push the food back, only to accidentally spit it out.

“Okay, I don’t think she has the chewing down yet.” Michael said to Mariah.

“That’s because you’re doing it wrong.” Mariah explained.

Michael frowned. “Like you can do better.”

“I can. Give it here.”

Michael reluctantly gave Mariah the jar and watched her as she tried to feed Nicole her way. Surprisingly, Nicole was more receptive to Mariah’s method and actually chewed the food down. She smiled at the taste.

“See?” She said to Michael.

Michael shook his head and said, sarcastically, “Wow, I’m so impressed.”

Mariah squinted at him. “See, why you gotta do all that? Why can’t you just be happy about this?”

“Be happy that you’re doing what you’re supposed to do?” Michael asked, condescendingly.

Mariah huffed. “Whatever Michael. You can’t ever just let things be. You always got a comment.”

“No worse than you.”

“Jesus, just shut up sometimes. You really know how to annoy me in no time.” Mariah shot back.

Brenda just sat there watching them go back and forth. She wasn’t sure whether to be amused or concerned.

“You’re really angry that I’m not going to applaud you for doing your only job.” Michael said.

“My only job? Michael being a mother isn’t my only role. That isn’t the end all be all for me.”

Michael lowered his voice into a whisper as if to ensure the twins wouldn’t hear him. “So what you’re saying is our kids aren’t important to you?”

“Don’t even go there, Michael. You know what I mean. I have a career outside of raising your children, you know.”

Michael took a deep sigh. “As far as I’m concerned your most important role is as a mother. You can leave all that other stuff behind.”

“‘All that other stuff? Michael my career isn’t just some stupid ‘stuff’. It’s equally as important as yours. Let’s not forget that they’re both on the line right now because of your actions- You know what, where is this coming from? This sudden disinterest in my career?”

Brenda decided to speak up. “Mariah I think you should-”

“Sudden?” Michael started, clearly not even paying attention to Brenda’s attempt.

And...ignored.

“You knew from the moment you married me how I felt about you working with our children here. And especially now since you have to constantly go out of town and-”

Mariah cut him off. “Oh so that’s what this boils down to. You think my career is driving me away from you.”

Michael chuckled. “That’s not what I think at all.”

“I don’t have to be with you, you know.”

Michael went silent for a second. “You’re right. You don’t. But you are. So quit whining about this dumb stuff and feed your children, Blondie.”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12K 684 40
After Lana and Sean's life got turned upside down, they finally managed to settle as a newly formed family, learning how to enjoy life together even...
40.7K 1.5K 53
{1993-1996} Michael and Mariah have split up and are starting their new lives without each other, only to find that they are still intertwined with e...
39.5K 1.8K 16
"What if the one that got away, came back?" After seeing each other in the supermarket after years of no contact, what will happen with Annamarie an...
235K 7.1K 126
a collection of very short and sweet scenarios/imagines i used to come up with on instagram. now i write them here only. all eras included. no sexual...