Remember the Time

By historynerd0401

{1996 - 2001} Marriage... Sounds like bliss to Michael and Mariah after the events of the past six years, but... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117

Chapter 46

799 25 50
By historynerd0401

December 23rd, 1997

Michael darted through hospital corridors trying to find them. He had no cellular service in the hospital so he had to rely on his memory.

In his glory, he quickly ran past a waiting room that, at a distance, seemed to be full of familiar faces. He stopped in his tracks and walked backward toward that waiting room.

“Wayne?” He asked.

Wayne looked up from his newspaper. Next to Wayne sat Mary, Vicki, and Janet.

“Hey- Janet? How did you get here so quickly?” Michael asked.

“Well I was only in Vegas so when you called, I just hopped on the first flight out here. Where’s Mariah?”

“She’s in the room waiting. She told me to go find you guys.” Michael nervously replied.

He turned towards Mary. “Uh-Mary?” He started, awkwardly. “Hi, Mariah wants to talk to you. Actually, if you guys wanna all come up with me that’d be-”

“Michael?” A familiar voice called out from afar.

Michael looked over to the side of him.

Ah hell.

“Michael, why didn’t you call me?”

Michael shot a look at Janet.

“Don’t look at me.” Janet mouthed.

“Michael, answer me!”

“Mother how did you get here?” Michael asked.

“What do you mean how did I get- Boy you need to be worried about what you was gonna do had I not been here!” Katherine exclaimed.

Behind Katherine was Joseph, Latoya, Jermaine, Alejandra, and the children. Michael glared at Latoya.

“What?” Latoya asked, worriedly. “I had to Michael.”

Michael narrowed his eyes. Did you though?

Latoya continued. “Where’s Mariah?”

Michael ignored her question and greeted his father. He glanced at Jermaine and Alejandra but didn’t say anything.

Michael turned his attention back to the group in the waiting room. “If you guys wanna follow me, I’ll take you up to the Maternity Ward.”

On their way toward the elevator, Michael glanced at his mother, and soon after at the rest of his family.

Janet took note and said the words she could tell he was thinking. “Alright Toya, Jermaine, don’t start none won’t be none.”

Jermaine rolled his eyes and stepped onto the elevator.

When they made it up to the Maternity Ward, Michael escorted them into a private waiting area. “Now if y’all could just wait right here. I’ll be right back. Mary, come with me.”

Janet looked up. “Can I go to?”

Michael shook his head and giggled. “Come on Dunk.”

Janet jumped up from her seat, a wide grin on her face.

About an hour after taking Mary and Janet back to see Mariah, Michael returned to the waiting area.

“So, how is she?” Vicki asked.

“She’s doing fine. They had to get her some antibiotics though. They said she had ‘Preterm Premature Rupture of Membranes’, which basically means her water broke before she was full term.” Michael explained.

“Are the babies okay?” Latoya asked.

Michael nodded.

“Now that we’ve established that, how did you guys get here so fast?” Michael asked.

Katherine and Latoya started at the same time with two different lies. Katherine leered at Latoya and Latoya shut her mouth.

“Baby, we just wanted to see you. We wanted to surprise you for Christmas!” Katherine explained.

“Okay so first of all, you don’t even celebrate Christmas.”

“Don’t worry about all that.” Katherine said. “I’m just here to support you.”

“And my wife?” Michael asked, though he already knew the answer to that one.

“Michael, why are you asking me a question like that? I’m telling you why I’m here!” Katherine replied.

Michael rolled his eyes.

“Mommy I’m hungry.” Steven, Randy and Alejandra’s six year old son griped.

“Me too baby.” She looked up at Michael. “They got anything to eat around here?” Alejandra asked.

Michael glanced over at her before signaling Vicki to come over to him. When she made it over, he took Vicki’s arm and walked her out of the waiting area.

“I want to talk to my mother, would you mind going to pick the kids up something for lunch?” Michael asked.

“Sure. What should I get?”

“Some fast food. Ask them what they have a taste for but don’t let them go crazy.” Michael handed Vicki two hundred dollars in cash. “Here. Get yourself something too.”

Michael and Vicki walked back in the waiting room. Michael grabbed Katherine while Vicki stayed behind to ask the kids what they wanted.

“Mother, can you just be honest with me. Why are you here?”

“I told you, I’m here to support you.” Katherine responded.

Michael huffed.

“Now I know things have been crazy surrounding these babies but I love you, okay? I mean I just don’t get why you wouldn’t tell me that you’re moving. That really hurts.”

“I didn’t tell you because I knew you’d be against it. And I really just didn’t have the patience to deal with your disapproval.” He explained.

“What would make you think I wouldn’t approve?”

Michael frowned at her. “Really?”

Katherine made a guilty face. “Michael, listen, I really want us to get back on track. And we were trying. We were talking more after that dinner. I just want you to open back up to me.” Katherine took a deep breath. “Take this morning, for example. Instead of calling me and telling me about this, you call your sister.”

“That’s not fair. I talk to Latoya and Janet like everyday.”

Katherine rolled her eyes. “Which makes it even worse, Michael. You used to talk to me everyday too. I’m your moth-”

“Yeah, I know, I know, you’re my mother. I just- I really don’t want to have it out with you right now. I’m about to be a father for the first time ever. This is my dream. This is good for me. And it’s like- I’m having twins too, so it’s double the responsibility.” He explained.

“Don’t you think I know that? I have nine kids Michael. I know what it feels like to be a parent and be excited about everything. I just don’t want you to be disappointed if-”

“If what, Mother? They’re mine, okay. Stop doing this.” Michael interrupted, looking her dead in the eye.

“That’s not all I was going to say! Just wait a minute!” She sighed. “I’ve had twins before too.”

Michael averted his eyes. “Mother, you know I don’t mean to-”

“I know, but I’m just saying. I know you’re excited, just be careful.”

Michael nodded his head.

The two stood in silence for a moment, Katherine studying Michael. “Can I have a hug?”

Of course.

Michael put his face in his hands, taking a deep breath. He then raised his arms and hugged his mother tightly, praying everything would work itself out.

December 23rd, 1997

“Hey, look at you.”

Mariah rolled towards the door as Latoya walked in.

“How'd you get here so quick?” Mariah asked.

Latoya looked down. “We may have been in Colorado.”

“Who's we?” Mariah inquired.

“Me.” She tried to talk faster. “Joseph, Mother, Jermaine, and Alejandra.”

Mariah raised an eyebrow. “Oh...that's nice.”

Mariah winced as she had another contraction. They weren't too painful but each one seemed stronger than the last.

“Uh-oh it's looking about that time.” Latoya giggled.

Janet, who was still in the room from earlier, cocked her head to the side. “Did you two even discuss names?”

Mariah laughed. “You know, we never did. I have some in mind though.”

“So how much longer do we have to wait?” Latoya interrupted.

Mariah shrugged. “The doctor said between three and seven hours.”

“We gonna be here all day.” Janet said, standing back up.

“Where you going?” Mariah asked.

Janet laughed. “To get me something to eat. You got me twisted you think I'm gonna be sitting here for twelve hours with nothing to eat.”

Mariah and Latoya laughed as the phone started to ring. Latoya reached over and handed the phone to Mariah.

“Hello?” Mariah answered.

“Hey baby girl.”

“Dad! What's going on?” Mariah asked.

“I'm up here at the airport with your brother and sister. Who’s coming to get us?” Alfred responded.

“Ummm, I think my father in law is here.” Mariah held her hand up to the phone.

“Latoya, do you think your dad can go and get my dad from the airport? He can take the Escalade.”

Latoya nodded and walked out of the room to go alert Joseph.

“Michael’s dad will come and get you.” Mariah explained.

Mariah spoke with her father for a few more minutes, updating him on the status of her labor and her emotional state.

She soon hung up the phone and watched as Michael came into the room.

“How are you feeling?” Michael asked.

“I'm feeling okay. The contractions aren't super strong yet.” She said, rubbing her stomach. “But I know they'll be here soon.”

December 23rd, 1997

Hours later, Mariah was nearly writhing in pain in the bed. She had a tight grip on Michael's hand while Janet and Alison were standing back observing.

“Call the nurse.” Mariah whined.

Alison shook her head. “Mariah we just called the nurse twenty minutes ago.”

“Well call her again. I'm ready.” Mariah snapped.

“Are you sure?” Michael asked.

Mariah glared at him. “Call the nurse.”

Michael hit the button on the wall. “Don't say nothing when she tells you it's not time yet.”

Immediately, a tall blonde woman entered.

“Hey Mariah, how’s it going?” The nurse asked.

“I think it's time for me to start pushing.” Mariah explained.

The nurse nodded and lifted up the blanket. “Oh yeah, you look about fully dilated. I'll go get the doctor.”

Mariah looked at Michael triumphantly. “Told you I was ready.”

“Alright, Mariah I can see the head. Give me another push.” Dr. Powell instructed.

Mariah, now drenched in sweat, looked exhausted. It was close to midnight and the little child was lurking in the dark.

Mariah strained, trying to push out the baby.

“Okay we're crowning, one more push Mariah.”

Alison smiled. “You hear that? Just one more push.”

Mariah nodded, taking a deep breath to prepare herself. Mariah pushed again, and by the look on Michael's face, Alison knew the head was out.

Dr. Powell slowly tugged on the first baby. When the doctor finally pulled ‘Baby A’ out, she came out kicking and screaming.

“Oh my god look at her!” Michael exclaimed, a look of glee on his face.

Mariah tried to get a glimpse at the baby over everyone’s misplaced limbs and her own slowly deflating bump, to no avail.

Michael smiled, placing his hand over his mouth.

Alison watched as Dr. Powell and her team clamped the baby’s umbilical cord.

“Dad?” Dr. Powell asked. “You wanna come over here?”

Michael swiftly walked over to Dr. Powell, who handed him a pair of oddly-shaped scissors. He slowly cut into the umbilical cord, releasing his first baby from her mother’s womb.

One of the medical personnel picked up the baby and went to wipe her down.

Dr. Powell looked back down in Mariah’s vagina and made a face.

“What?” Janet shouted.

“Mariah, don't push.” Dr. Powell commanded.

Michael’s face immediately dropped.

Dr. Powell continued. “Baby B is presenting slightly transverse so I'll have to turn her. Mariah, this is gonna hurt a little, okay?”

Mariah made a face. “Okay.”

Mariah seemed to tighten her grip on Janet's hand as Dr. Powell reached inside of her. After a few minutes, she smiled at Mariah.

“Alright, Mariah we need a big push.”

Mariah reached over to grab Alison’s hand and weakly pushed, falling back on the pillows.

“Ah, come on Mariah I know you got a little more left in you.” Dr. Powell said.

Alison reached over and rubbed Mariah’s shoulder. “Don't worry Mariah, you got it.”

Tears started streaming from her eyes. “I can't, I can't do it.”

“Mariah, you gotta calm down.” Janet whispered, stroking her hair. “You already pushed one out, you just gotta do the other one.”

Mariah shook her head. “I can't.”

“Yes you can.” Janet said. “Now push.”

Mariah cried out as another contraction wracked her body, but she made no move to push.

Alison gestured at Michael to come encourage Mariah. He walked down and rubbed Mariah’s upper back.

“Come on, Mimi. I know you can do it, she's almost out. You just gotta give it a few more tries.”

Mariah lifted her head, gritting her teeth through another contraction.

“You can do it.” He said.

Mariah nodded lazily.

Michael smiled and went back down towards Dr. Powell.

Mariah glanced over at Alison who gave an encouraging smile.

She pushed again, this time a bit stronger.

“Now that's what I'm talking about.” Dr. Powell said. “Give me three more like that and this baby will be out.”

Mariah groaned.

“It'll be over soon.” Alison promised.

December 24th, 1997 - 12:05 a.m.

Alison watched as Dr. Powell finally pulled out the second baby.

“She’s here!” Alison yelled, looking Mariah in the face. “Christmas Eve baby!”

Mariah, trying to catch her breath from pushing, asked, “How big is she?”

Alison looked at the tiny human, then gestured at her own forearm. “She can fit in my arm.”

“Alright dad. We need you again.” Dr. Powell said with a laugh.

Michael nodded innocently and cut the baby’s umbilical cord.

“Alright baby, can you give me a big loud cry?” Dr. Powell said looking down at the newborn.

“I can help.” Michael said, looking himself like nothing more than a tall toddler.

He soon took the tip of his finger and ran it down her tiny foot, tickling her.

The baby winced, batting open her little eyes.

He then took a towel from one of the medical personnel and rubbed her little back until she released a loud, powerful cry.

Michael glanced back at Alison, then at Mariah, a large grin on his face.

December 24th, 1997

Michael took off his rubber gloves and walked over toward the heated cribs where his first born daughter laid with her eyes tightly closed. She was balled up in a fetal position, still awkwardly squirming around.

He looked into the crib on the left. Now this baby had her eyes wide open. She stared at her dad for what seemed like centuries to him. She seemed fascinated by Michael, and he by her.

He immediately put hand sanitizer on and took her little hand on his finger, whispering to her. “Hey lil mama. It’s daddy.”

She furrowed her little eyebrows. He cheesed, making silly faces at her.

Janet walked up behind him, caressing his shoulder. “Michael, they’re so beautiful!”

Michael closed his lips and smiled, his eyes sparkling with joy. “I love them so much, Janet.”

Janet stood by for a moment more. “I’m going to go tell everyone they’re here. I’ll be right back.”

Michael nodded.

He studied the second baby’s appendages. The little one shivered, tightening her grip on her dad’s finger.

Michael bit back a chuckle, leaned down, and whispered. “Are you cold?”

He could’ve sworn she nodded ‘yes’.

Michael loosened her hand off his finger and asked the nurse standing next to him if he could wrap her up.

“Yeah, we were just getting all their paperwork together and making sure their heights and weights were accurately recorded. Speaking of, Baby A came out at five pounds eight ounces, so she’s a little small. Baby B was six pounds.” The nurse explained.

Michael raised his eyebrow. “She was only five pounds?”

The nurse nodded.

“Is she okay?” Michael asked.

“Well, the doctor wants to run some tests on them, so we’re going to be transferring them to the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit soon.”

Michael’s breath hitched. “They’re going to be okay right?”

“You should have nothing to worry about Mr. Jackson. We just want to make sure they’re breathing properly, that’s all.”

As Michael continued to discuss what they were going to do with the babies, one of the other medical personnel wrapped the babies up.

Michael turned around as a man in full scrubs carried the first baby over to Mariah.

He returned to the other baby, ready to carry her over to Mariah when Michael stopped him.

“It’s okay I got it.” Michael said with a smile on his face.

The man smiled and nodded.

Michael picked up his second born child and walked her over to Mariah.

When he arrived over to Mariah, she seemed a little distant, but he ignored it.

“Look at how beautiful they are, baby.” He doted.

The two tiny newborns had heads full of soft sandy brown hair. Still tinged with red from their births, they had golden medium-tan skin, full pink lips, deep brown eyes, and button noses. They looked a lot like their grandmother Katherine.

Mariah awkwardly smiled at Michael. “They’re so cute.” She studied them a little longer. “And they look almost identical your mother. I wonder what she’s gonna say about this.”

Michael smiled and shook his head. “Don’t even think about that.”

“What are y’all gonna name them?” Alison asked excitedly.

Michael adjusted the baby in his arm, looking into her eyes.

He glanced at his other child, who was in Mariah’s arms, and perked up. “Oh! I got it! Let’s name the first one after Santa Claus!”

Mariah rolled her eyes, running low on patience. “Babe...be serious real quick.”

“No, like the real Santa Claus. Saint Nick. She can be Saint Nicki.” Michael explained, smile through the roof.

“That’s actually not a bad idea.” Mariah agreed. “What about Nicole Paris Jackson? Since Latoya always wanted to have that as our first girl’s middle name.”

Michael nodded hastily.

“And for the second one, since she was born on Christmas Eve, we can name her something to do with Christmas.” Mariah thought for a second.

Michael began to sing snippets of different Christmas songs. He went through All I Want for Christmas Is You, This Christmas, and Santa Claus Is A Black Man and...nothing.

Soon, he started to sing:

“The first Noel,

The angel did-”

Mariah raised her eyebrow. “Stop it, stop singing, I got it.”

Janet slid into the room.

Michael leaned into Mariah, making sure to keep the baby comfortable.

“Noelle.” Mariah said.

Janet spoke up. “Noelle Damita Joe Jackson.”

Michael gasped. He looked into the eyes of the baby he held and smiled, “Hi Noelle.”

December 24th, 1997

“Mr. and Mrs. Jackson, we’re ready to take the twins down to the NICU, if that’s okay with you two?” A nurse asked.

Mariah nodded, nearly shoving Nicole into the nurse’s hands.

Michael looked down at Noelle and frowned. “I’m sorry Noni, you have to go now so it will be a little bit before you see mommy.”

Mariah stared at him, her face a cross between relief and grief.

“Say bye-bye to mommy. Blow her a kiss!” Michael instructed. He took Noelle’s tiny hand and put it up to her face, gently pulling it back out. He heightened his vocal pitch several octaves, pretending to imitate Noelle. “Bye mommy!”

Mariah faked a smile and nodded.

Michael placed Noelle in her crib and asked the nurse, “Can I go with them?”

The nurse nodded. Shortly after, two other nurses trucked the babies out of the room, Michael following close behind.

December 24th, 1997

Alison and Janet waited back in the delivery room with Mariah. She seemed exhausted and acted out of character.

“What's up with you?” Alison asked, noticing Mariah growing anxious.

Mariah shook her head. “I'm really hot. I don't-” She stopped, abruptly.

Janet glanced at Alison, worriedly, before turning back to Mariah. “I'll ask the nurse-”

Mariah grabbed her wrist, shaking her head. “No, Jan I need you to stay right here.”

“Mariah, what's wrong?” Alison asked again.

Mariah was becoming increasingly agitated.

“I can't breathe.” Mariah whispered, starting to hyperventilate.

Alison looked over at the nurse across the hall, contemplating whether or not to call her over.

“Just calm down and take deep breaths.” Janet suggested.

Mariah shook her head, starting to cough. “I can't breathe.” She said between coughs.

She gripped her chest and struggled through her cough. She squeezed Janet’s hand before abruptly loosening her grip and shutting her eyes.

Before Alison or Janet could say anything, Mariah’s heart monitor went off, alerting the nurse.

The nurse ran over and checked Mariah’s pulse on the monitor. She instantly picked up her pager and called in a Code Blue.

The nurse moved Alison out of the way and started checking Mariah’s vitals.

“What's wrong with her?” Janet shouted.

The nurse looked up. “She's experiencing cardiac arrest.”

A doctor and a team of nurses rushed into the room.

Two nurses lifted Mariah, placed a board under her back, and started performing CPR. The doctor quickly assessed Mariah and turned towards the nurse. “Looks like AFE.”

A third nurse started putting a tube down Mariah’s throat.

“What's AFE?” Alison asked.

The doctor frowned at Alison. “Nurse Sharon can you take them back to the waiting area?”

“But what’s wrong?” Alison shouted.

“Ma’am I’m sorry but you can’t be in here.” Nurse Sharon explained as she approached Alison and Janet.

“But that’s my sister!” Alison screamed through tears. “Tell me what is going on!”

“Miss-”

“Tell me!”

The nurse looked at Janet for help, but she was also panicked.

Janet grabbed Alison’s hand and said, shakily, “Alison, we have to go so they can help Mariah.”

“But I want to know!”

“We'll give you some news as soon as we can, okay?” Nurse Sharon said, trying to calm Alison.

Janet numbly nodded and dragged Alison, now with a face full of tears, out of the room. The nurse shut the door behind them.

“Janet what’s happening?”

Janet shook her head. “I don't even know.”

They stood there, shell-shocked, waiting for anyone to come out of the room. But no one did.

After a while, Janet leaned over and whispered, “We gotta tell Mike.”

Alison rubbed her face and nodded. “What would we even say? It’s not like they’ll tell us anything.”

“I know. We just have to tell him that she passed out.” Janet explained.

Alison made a pained expression.

Janet could tell she wasn’t in the right mind frame to do anything.

Janet took a deep breath. “I’ll be back.”

December 24th, 1997

Janet made her way down to the NICU where Michael sat with the twins.

“Can I help-” The NICU head nurse started.

“My nieces were just admitted here about fifteen minutes ago.”

The nurse nodded her head, mouth open wide. “You’re Janet Jackson.”

Janet flashed her eyebrows and nodded her head hastily.

The nurse started again. “Janet and Michael Jackson here together! God, this is a dream come true!”

Janet clamped her lips shut, slowly getting irritated with the nurse’s fanatical behavior. “Yes well, I need to get back there to my brother so if you could just let me in-”

“Of course, Ms. Jackson!”

The nurse buzzed Janet in and Michael was sitting directly across from the door. He sat in a rocking chair that was placed in between Nicole and Noelle, humming them a song while they slept. Michael hadn’t even looked up when Janet entered the room, it was like they were in their own little bubble.

“Michael.” Janet whispered.

He glanced up and smiled. He then looked over at Noelle and played with her hand. “Noni, it’s TT.”

Janet smiled. “They look so peaceful.”

He glanced back up at Janet. “How did you get in here without any protective clothes on?”

“I basically said it was super important that I talk to you.”

He nodded, never breaking his smile. “What’s up?”

Janet took a deep breath. “Can you come outside with me? I don’t want to say this in front of the babies.”

Michael’s smile slowly faded. He raised an eyebrow. “What do you mean?”

“I don’t want to stress them out is all.”

Michael took a deep breath. “Janet, I really don’t want to deal with any dumb stuff right now. My girls need me.”

“Are they stable?” She asked.

“Well, yes. They just want them back here for a few more hours.” He explained.

“Okay well then you have a more pressing issue to deal with.” Janet bit.

Michael cocked his head to the side, narrowing his eyes. “What could be more important than my daughters?”

“Well, nothing. But Mariah is pretty far up there with them.”

Michael pulled back. “Something’s going on with Mariah?”

Janet nodded aggressively.

Michael stood up and looked down at his twins. He whispered to them that he’d be right back and quickly left the room with Janet.

“So what’s wrong?” Michael asked, finally able to break his whisper.

Janet started. “Well, I’m not sure. But we were talking with her and then all of a sudden she like passed out.”

Michael’s eyebrows shot up.

She continued. “Then the nurse ran in because her heart monitor went off and the nurse said she was having a heart attack.”

Michael’s mouth fell wide open.

He soon ran down the hallway towards Mariah’s room. Janet ran with him.

“Is she gonna be okay?” Michael asked, running out of breath.

Janet didn’t answer.

Michael abruptly stopped. Janet did too.

“Janet, is she going to be okay?” He pressed, raising his voice.

Janet mumbled. “I don’t know.”

Michael’s eyes widened in panic. “Okay Janet is she still in the room?”

“They were when I left.” Janet explained.

Michael huffed and stroked the bridge of his nose. He turned on his heel and continued on towards the delivery room, Janet following close behind.

When they made it to the room, Michael asked the head nurse of the area if he could go in.

“I’m sorry Mr. Jackson but you can’t go in there right-”

The door opened and a different doctor from earlier slipped out. He took a quick glimpse at Michael. “Mr. Jackson! We’ve been trying to find you.”

Michael nodded, eyebrows furrowed and mouth slightly open.

“Can I have a word with you?” The doctor asked.

Michael nodded again.

The doctor pulled Michael to the side. “Mr. Jackson, my name is Dr. Gates.”

Janet got as close as she could to eavesdrop.

Dr. Gates started again. “Shortly after delivery, Mariah suffered respiratory failure and cardiac arrest.”

Why is he talking in past tense? Janet thought.

“She was diagnosed with a condition called Amniotic Fluid Embolism. This means that she had an allergic reaction to her own amniotic fluid.” The doctor explained.

Michael raised his eyebrow.

The doctor continued. “We are currently still trying to revive her.”

Janet gasped.

“What?” Michael shouted.

“Mr. Jackson, please take a deep breath.”

“You take a deep breath!” Michael exclaimed.

Janet slapped her hand over her mouth to prevent herself from bursting out in tears.

“Mr. Jackson, we think she will be alright.”

“Do you not hear yourself? You said you’re trying to revive her!” Michael cried out. “That means she’s already dea-”

Suddenly, Dr. Powell flew out of the room. “Dr. Gates! A word?”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.1K 162 31
Two girls, two sports, two different worlds, all eyes on them at all times. So what happens when these worlds unexpectedly come crashing together? Wi...
21K 589 38
Sequel to Blended Family. Two years later, Elliott is off at college, Joey is struggling to keep things together, and Alex and Jack have settled int...
571K 12.4K 135
You and Michael..... That's all that matters in this book. Being all innocent and goofy to doing sinful things. Imagines unlike no other. Let your...
75.7K 2.2K 16
Rose and Dimitri had accepted the fact that they would never have biological children. So when Rose comes home with some pretty shocking news, they'r...