The Bodyguard (Book 1 in the...

By SAMiAMiz

Nathan Henry thinks of no one but his family. With his family on the verge of being thrown out of their home... More

Just a Book Trailer
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Epilogue

Chapter Eleven

2.2K 129 17
By SAMiAMiz

Rory glanced at Mara as she was lying on the small couch with her legs hanging over the edge and her head resting on the opposite arm. She was, as usual, drawing in her sketchbook. She stared intently at the page she was on; the pencil quivering in increments in her hand as it made its way around the page.

Rory looked back to folding his clothes and jogged his brain with trying to think of something to say. He had tried to keep himself occupied from just staring at Mara. If he could, he'd just sit in front of her and listen to her talk all day long. Just so he could look at her with all the love he wanted to give her.

He settled on taking out all of his clothing onto the still made bed and started reorganizing everything back into his suitcase. He tried not to break his concentration but Mara's voice broke through it anyway.

"Rory?"

The blonde lowered the red button down in his hands, turning his head to see that Mara had stopped drawing and had pushed herself up to now sit with her legs tucked beside her. With the sketchbook on her lap, her fingers lightly running along the top edge back and forth, she pouted.

Rory dropped the clothing he had in his hand and went over to her.

"Are you alright?"

Mara's frown deepened and she bit her lip, trying to string her words together. "

Well..."

Rory raised his brows and tilted his head, "Mara...? What is it?

Her shoulders dropped in a tired sigh, shaking her head with a wrinkled nose, "Oh forget it. It's just silly!"

Rory smiled, reflecting her head shake. He leaned closer, placing a hand on hers.

"You know that is not true. So, come on... Out with it."

Mara smiled, glancing down at the book in her hands. She ran her hand over its cover, taking a deep breath and gave a small nod from his encouragement. 

"Right... Okay, then." 

But the frown returned and her head lifted to stare off in front of them. Her mouth pursed to the side, lowering a brow.

She coyly raised her shoulders, turning her head a bit to squint her eyes at her friend.

"Do I come off as... I dunno... pretty?"

Rory gave her a quizzical look, sitting back and pulled his hand off hers to scratch his thumb at a brow. He glanced off to the side before raising a brow, "What do you mean?"

Mara grimaced, feeling so silly and childish for asking such a question. And to Rory of all people.

He was her best friend, and though Mara spoke to him about everything and anything, this was different. This was a topic neither ever brought up because it wasn't of any interest. She knew she was a late bloomer, but it was still awkward to talk about this. She would have spoken to Jane, but her cousin was across the way with her protectors.

Mara cleared her throat, shifting herself to face Rory who had continued to wear his quizzical frown up until now. 

"I mean..." she started, then paused to frown, "Well..." 

Pursing her mouth to the side, she decided she best just get it out. Lifting her head, her blue eyes stared hopeful and explained that she was asking where she would stand in the 'Attraction' category, if at all.

Rory stared at her, no word uttered from him. It pained him to hear the doubt in her tone that she didn't find herself attractive. Of course she was attractive to him. He was in love with her, wasn't he? Ever since the moment he met her did Rory's unrequited love for Mara Hallden start blooming.

But what could have possibly made her think otherwise, or think of something like that at all?

Mara wasn't the type to think about her looks or what people thought of how she looked.

With a warm smile, the blonde man lowered a brow nodding, "Of course you are attractive, Mara! What would make you think otherwise?"

Mara's blue eyes widened a smidge, biting her lip as if fearful to explain. Her eyes dropped to her sketchbook. Once again, her fingers grazed down the cover, her brows furrowed and shrugged a shoulder.

"It's just that... suddenly I feel inferior to Janie. I always have been in the looks area, but never really paid much attention to it before."

Rory frowned, glancing away as he thought about how out of character it was for Mara to suddenly question her physical appearance. As mentioned before, it wasn't like her.

He squinted, raising a brow and questioned warily, "But I don't understand this sudden realization you think you have. When did you start thinking about whether or not you are pretty---even though you truly are!" He raised both brows, waiting for her to speak and could see the hesitation in her frown.

Mara was still staring at her sketchbook as she mumbled, "When Nathan kissed me."

☙ღ❧

Ben and Adam sat on the bed or the floor as they were watching a re-run of the Cosby Show.

Adam kept crunching loudly as he tossed more Doritos into his mouth as well as his crunchy, lettuce and turkey filled sandwich. Ben glanced at the young man from where he was sitting on the edge of the mattress with his plate in his hands. He shook his head slowly as the omnivore on the floor devoured into his meal.

Nathan was sitting at the table under the dim ceiling light above him looking through the file's paperwork. He was so engrossed with his studying; he tuned out Adam's obnoxious chewing that normally would irritate him.

Every few minutes, Nathan's eyes looked up at the door and then back down at the papers.

It still bothered him that Mara and Rory would be alone. And that Ben agreed to it. True, Jane was the one that needed more protection, but still. Mara was under their protection just as much as her cousin. So why Nathan was still fretting over it, he didn't know.

Speaking of Jane, the agent turned his head to the woman sitting next to him reading her pile of magazines. 

She wasn't much of a talker as her cousin, but she was well-behaved... and normal. He grinned a little and Jane turned her eyes to his, smiling in return. Those eyes of hers were lovely. That purple color was extremely rare but brilliant. They were soft and gentle which lit up when she smiled.

Nathan remembered that he needed to concentrate on Jane more than Mara. He had to remember about his family, along with Ben and Adam. Not the non-stop talkative small devil woman across the hall.

Jane batted her eyes like she knew how, but all Nathan did was grin at her. She was used to the men fawning over her and trying to touch her. But not this man. So, now Jane knew what she was up against. With this gentleman who would refrain from being handsy and flirtation as the men she knew were to be, Jane was going to have to turn on her charm completely.

She glanced around, thinking of where in this small room she could be alone with Nathan. There weren't very many options other than the tiny kitchen and the bathroom. She frowned, her lips pursed in a pout. Her violet eyes gazed over to the long white curtains behind the agent and smirked.

Jane sighed, placing a hand over the other in front of her. She leaned forward quietly smiling, "Do you think it possible to get some air out on the balcony?"

Nathan frowned looking behind him at the balcony doors. They were on the third floor of the motel. And he'd have to be on guard at all times to make sure she was safe. So he guessed it wouldn't be too bad if she enjoyed some time outside.

Nathan nodded, "Sure, Jane. I just have to check up on your cousin first. Then I won't have to worry about cutting your time outside short."

Jane smiled at how considerate he was. Thinking about her. Maybe he wouldn't be so hard to wrap around her finger after all.

The green eyed man pushed himself to his feet, piling his papers into one stack and back into the file they were in. He glanced at the red head having been watching him the whole time and flashed a grin that made her blush.

Walking away from the table, Nathan nudged Ben with his hand and raised a brow at him when the older man looked away from the TV.

"Watch Janie. I'm checking in on the monster."

Ben nodded, getting up to sit in the vacant chair beside Jane as Nathan walked past Adam whose eyes were following his friend. The brunette offered a cheeky grin, and spoke between chewing, "Yeah. Funny how you didn't ask me to check on her. I wouldn't have mind, ya know?"

Nathan shot a frown back at Adam, growling, "Shut up!" before closing the door behind him.

☙ღ❧

Rory blinked repeatedly, reeling himself back in his posture. He must have not heard right.

"Um, what--- what did you say?"

Mara cringed at the look on his face. She sighed, shutting her eyes and shook her head, "I know. I know how it sounds, but it's true! Ever since he kissed me I have done nothing, but think about him and it is starting to irritate me. I mean..." 

She lifted the sketchbook and handed it to Rory.

Rory's heart sunk with every second his eyes gazed over the page in front of him. 

Mara had been sketching the handsome military agent the whole time. She sketched his eyes in one corner (not missing to add a sparkle to them), his portrait in another, and the worst part to take in was when Rory frowned at the sketch that took up most of the bottom left corner and most of middle. She drew every little detail as if it were a picture instead of a drawing.

It was Nathan kissing Mara.

Rory lowered the sketchbook and raised his blue eyes up to hers. Mara looked confused, sad, and hopeful. She kept chewing on her lip, eagerly waiting for him to say something. But what could he say? It was obvious that this kiss she had shared with one of her escorts had flickered something in Mara.

Rory gave her a grim smile, tilting his head towards her and sighed, "Mara... you are the prettiest girl in the world. Inside and out. Jane is nothing compared to you."

Mara rolled her eyes upward, smiling as she playfully shouldered the side of his arm, "You're just saying that."

Rory shook his head, pretending to be offended. 

"I am not! And you really are. Trust me. And any guy that doesn't see that is an idiot."

Mara smiled at him, receiving one back.

Rory rested his hand on her knee, leaning his head over to kiss her cheek. And Mara smiled, closing her eyes, as his lips touched her cheek, but then the door opened which made the blonde jump out of his skin and the short brunette sat back blinking in surprise.

When they both turned their eyes to the intruder in their room, it was only Nathan. But he happened to be wearing a dark expression, not taking his eyes off the two from the moment he entered.

Nathan glared at them both. The jealousy of how close Rory was to Mara running through his body, worsened the moment he saw the kiss the blonde had given to Mara.

Nathan crossed his arms once standing in front of the pair, and looked from one to the other, his jaw clenched shut---not knowing what to do or say.

Mara raised her brows, eyes wide at seeing him. She couldn't help the nervousness she was feeling nor get over just how handsome he really was; even when he was upset. Scratch that. Especially when he was upset... and usually it had to do with her. But she wasn't sure what she did this time.

Mara blinked, "Arrrrrre you upset?"

Nathan narrowed his eyes, ignoring her question. Instead he pulled a hand from being tucked under the other arm and gestured with his finger at them.

"How long has this been going on between the two of you?"

Rory swallowed, immediately understanding to what the other, more intimidating man, was referring to.

Mara, still confused, "How long has what been going on?"

Nathan rolled his eyes and pointed at Rory, "How long?"

Rory shook his head, "There's nothing going on! Honest!"

"Really? So you are always this affectionate with her?"

'Oh,'  Mara thought, raising her brows and feeling blush fill her cheeks.

Now she understood why he looked ready to tear something apart, though to be honest she was a bit excited that Nathan was jealous and that his jealousy was towards her. Perhaps Rory was right about her being pretty after all!

Rory shook his head, "No! I mean---yes."

Nathan's eyes widened and his jaw locked. "Yes?!"

Rory shook his head again, sitting back and could hear his heart pounding in his ears. This man was a lot bigger than him in the muscle department. Rory didn't want to ever find himself in a compromising position with the agent, and to save his skin in the current situation, he searched his mind to explain himself.

But nothing was coming out right.

"I only meant that I've always been this way with Mara. L-like an older brother making sure to comfort her when she's feeling down."

It really pained Rory to say that because he knew it wasn't true. He loved Mara, but not as a brother. But the way Mara looked at Nathan and even the evidence of the sketches of the green eyed man, only told Rory that he'd have to forever stay silent about his true feelings. Worse, Rory was going to have to let this other man take his best friend from him.

Mara frowned, looking at Nathan when his expression softened.

"Oh. I thought... well, I wasn't sure what I thought. And besides..." the man reminded sternly, "Mara is not to engage into anything with anyone because of her cousin."

A surge of irritation bubbled inside Mara hearing yet another rule to add to the list of others Nathan had given to the group. She didn't like that he was talking about her like she wasn't present either.

Mara raised a brow, narrowing her eyes. She sat up, leaning her head forward and snapped, "You mean except for her cousin."

Nathan looked at her and blinked, frowning, "What?"

Standing with a scowl, the blue eyed woman placed her hands on her hips and repeated in a haughty tone, "I said---except for my cousin." 

She wrinkled her nose, eyeing him up and down with disgust. 

"Apparently, I am not allowed to be with anyone or have any sort of intimacy. But Janie seems to be allowed to do the opposite--- since aren't you the one that has suddenly fallen in love with her? You are the one that has to win her over although she's to be married. Am I correct?"

Nathan stared at her and Mara's cheeks flushed more when he just gaped.

She continued, stomping her foot. 

"So what happens if I do engage into some kind of intimate happening, Henry, hm? For all you know, I've already had many sexual encounters!" 

She crossed her arms and raised a brow just as Nathan's blood started boiling. His eyes were narrowing with every word she'd let spill out of her mouth, and his jaw clenched.

Mara added, to Rory's horror, as she waved a hand in his direction lazily, "Rory was the first."

"Mara!"

Nathan's wide eyed, brow furrowed shock looked to Rory's pale face and his inaudible shaking head before returning his attention to Mara. He had heard enough! He was done with her! This between the two of them were done. He finalized that he would not be seeking help from her anymore, nor would he let her be the one he thinks about all the time.

Nathan nodded, "Right. Of course."

With a quick upward gesture with his finger, he told Rory, "Out. Let's go."

Rory scrambled up and gathered his clothes into the suitcase and hugged it to him. Mara blinked and looked from Rory to Nathan, dropping her hands from her hips. She frowned, stepping forward. 

"Hey, wait! Where are you taking him?"

But Nathan didn't answer, instead he motioned for Rory to wait out in the hall.

He waited until the blonde was at the door before the agent turned to Mara and pointed at her, "You will stay here. Alone. You don't like it, too bad! And I don't care what you do. You are staying here until we come and get you tomorrow morning." Then he slammed the door behind him.

"As for you," he told Rory. "You sleep in here with us. You are responsible for Jane anyway."

Rory swallowed, knowing that he was actually responsible for Mara, but the anger in Nathan's face was not a reason to argue with him. Rory reluctantly agreed with a silent nod before he entered the room, glancing behind him as he could hear Mara shouting how unfair Nathan was being from the other side of the door.

Adam and Ben were in surprised when the lanky blonde ran in with his tail tucked under him then they shifted their eyes to Nathan. They immediately saw the expression on his face and regretted not accompanying the younger to the other room---for his own protection.

Jane frowned, jumping up to her feet and was pointing at the new addition to the room, "What's he doing here?"

Rory scowled at her from where he stood still holding his luggage to him, narrowing his eyes as if silently telling her how much he rather not be near her anyway.

Nathan quickly announced, "Rory will be staying in here. Mara is to stay alone for the rest of trip and no one is to undermine me. Is that clear?" 

They all nodded and Nathan gathered up his paper work walking over to his duffel bag to put it away.

Ben stood beside him and asked what happened.

Nathan shook his head, "Nothing. I dealt with it and that's it. So don't ask me anything else because I won't answer."

Ben knew that whatever happened in that room, had to do with Nathan's obsession of keeping everyone's hands off Mara.

The older man shook his head, walking over and leaned closer whispering through clenched teeth, "Nate... Be. Careful! You don't own her. Neither of them. I know this is for your family but still! That girl is not like the ones you are used to. If she finds a way to make your life a living hell for isolating her again, she will!"

Nathan finished zipping up his duffle bag and took it by the hand straps, throwing it onto the floor next to the couch. He turned to Ben and nodded with a blank expression, "Sure. And I'll be ready for it. But until then, she's not my problem anymore. You and Adam can take care of her while I watch Jane. How does that sound?"

Ben stared after Nathan as the latter walked over and spoke to Jane quietly, smiling down at her with a hand motion towards the balcony doors. She looked up at him dreamily, and nodded, taking his hand as they went outside.

Out on the balcony, Jane smiled taking in the fresh air. She pretended to be fascinated with their bleak surroundings that wasn't anything remotely interesting. There weren't even stars with all the lighting in the city.

"It's so nice to be outside," she claimed anyway, looking to the side at Nathan as he stood leaning on the bar in front of him. 

His eyes stared forward, allowing the cool breeze to ease his diminishing temper. It was soothing against the heat in his face and urged him to get back on track to what he was supposed to be doing. Slowly thoughts of the imp was fading and were instead running down a list of things Nathan could say to begin his courting---not that it was really courting when he was only after Jane's money.

Nathan nodded, "It is."

Jane glanced at the handsome man and stepped closer to lean the side of her arm against his. Her lip curled into a small grin, batting those violet eyes and pursed her lips to make them appear larger than they were.

Nathan turned, staring at every bit of Jane's features. She was most certainly beautiful, that was sure. There was no doubt he found her attractive. There was just the matter if whether or not Jane was compatible personality wise.

Could he live his whole life with the red headed heiress knowing how bored or annoyed he'd be all the rest of his life?

Jane raised a brow, glancing down at her finger slowly caressing up his forearm as she asked, "How long have you been doing this kind of work, Nathan?"

Nathan's eyes dropped down to also watch her finger and continued to do so when he answered her.

"Since I was eighteen. But this is my first assignment that doesn't involve bombs or bank robbers," he spoke honestly and though he was being serious, Jane giggled. She touched the back of his hand with her finger, tracing his knuckles lightly.

"Are you spoken for, Nate?" 

Her soft spoken words had Nathan look up at Jane wide eyed at how bold she was. He let her question hang in the air while those eyes of hers twinkled.

Nathan shook his head slowly, lowering a brow, "Not at the moment, no."

Jane nodded, taking her hand off him and returned to placing it over the other on the balcony railing. 

"Good," she smiled. She glanced his way, raising a brow. "Because then I'd feel bad when I did this." 

Leaning over and pressed her mouth against his before he could stop her. It was a surprising kiss, one he'd experienced before with other women so it gave him the opportunity to kiss Jane the way he'd kiss the others. The way he kissed Nathan figured it wouldn't take long for him to ask Jane to be with him instead of her fiancé.

Through the simple kiss, Nathan lowered his brows when he could hear something from down below. As much as he wanted to keep the mood going, he pulled away and Jane pouted, clearly disappointed at the loss of physical contact.

"What's wrong?"

Nathan didn't answer her. He was holding onto the bars in front of him and leaned over to see what was going on the ground level. He scanned the area, frowning when he could still hear the ruckus, but couldn't find the source until Nathan caught sight of two large men and a woman with them. She was shouting for them to let her go, but they were persistent in dragging her away.

Jane saw the confusion on Nathan and decided to also look over the railing herself where she could hear the woman getting louder. 

The red head wrinkled her nose, and sighed, "So noisy! It's late, don't they realize people are trying to sl--- Oh my god! Nathan! That's Mara!"

Nathan's eyes widened as he leaned over the balcony to recognize the brunette halfway across the parking lot and was screaming for someone to help her between demanding the men to release her. The agent shoved himself backwards before he bolted into the room and ran past the startled others; not bothering to stop or let them know what was going on.

As he swung open the door, Nathan could see that Mara's room door was broken into. It was broken off its hinges and the furniture inside was everywhere; an obvious failed attempt on the small brunette's part to trying to save herself from the intruders.

The whole time she had been shouting Nathan had ignored her because when he left her in the room she was doing the exact same thing. He just figured she'd tire herself out eventually. But now Nathan's stomach dropped thinking how he irresponsible he had been to have left her alone, and because of how angry he was.

Why he was so angry to begin with, Nathan couldn't remember... but he shouldn't have left her alone! Now there were men taking her!

Once outside, the two men had already crossed the street with a screaming Mara over one of the men's shoulder.

Nathan didn't hesitate running through after them. He felt his heart race and his feet hitting the ground hard before they jumped onto the hood of a car, setting off the alarm, and jumped off on the other side. He ran into the street dodging a few honking cars before he made it across.

Nathan couldn't hear Mara anymore. And that worried him.

"MARA!"

He scanned the area as he moved around and between the parked cars, searching for a vehicle that fit the description of a typical transportation she'd be taken into.

"God dammit," he mumbled under his breath. "MARA!"

Nathan's blood ran cold when he heard a woman's scream echo throughout the lot, making it difficult to detect exactly where it came from. He swallowed, panic ensuing him just as Ben and Adam joined him, both slowing down from running across the lot.

Nathan asked where Jane was, turning away as he continued to search for the Heiress's cousin. Ben shook his head, waving his hand as he was trying to catch his breath. He winced, taking a deep breath. 

"She's fine! She and Rory are hidden away. Where's Mara?!"

The green eyed agent ran his fingers through his hair and shook his head, still turning in circles. He felt helpless and his guilt sunk more into his chest. 

"I don't know! I took too long to get down here!"

Nathan balled his hands up and pressed his knuckles against his mouth before thrusting his arms down. 

"Shit!"

He took a deep breath and shook his head, whirling on his team. His green eyes flashed with a dangerous streak his two friends knew so well. That look meant business. 

"I don't care how long it takes! We are finding her! You hear me?!"

Adam and Ben nodded. They had split into three different directions to cover more ground, hoping they'd be able to catch any sign of a vehicle leaving.

Nathan frowned, running down the south side of the large parking lot. He shook his head, mentally mumbling, 'Come on Mara! I know you won't give up that quickly! COME ON!'

A few cars down, there were two deep masculine voices bickering loud enough to have caught Nathan's attention and had made his way over, crouching as he hid himself just enough to hear the conversation much clearer. He lowered his head, pressing his back against the blue SUV he hid behind.

If this was Mara, he was going to have to keep calm and react as he was trained to, not on impulse.

"Keep still girly. We wouldn't want to scar up that pretty face of yours now would we?"

"LET GO OF ME! ARGH!"

Nathan leaned his head back against the SUV and shut his eyes tightly, cursing himself for ever leaving her alone. He could hear the fright in her voice even though she was trying to be assertive.

"STAY STILL!"

"FUCK! She bit me!"

Nathan's jaw tightened when he heard Mara cry out, most likely from one of the men hitting her in the face. Looking around him, the agent knew he needed a diversion, and needed one fast to get Mara out of harm's way as quickly as possible.

He reached into his back pocket and pulled out his phone, texting Adam quickly. He kept looking over his shoulder to make sure the two men wouldn't happen to make their way around to his side. When he finished his message and sent it, he shoved the phone back into his pocket and laid himself flat on his stomach to look under the car to see a two pairs of feet two cars down.

"What the hell are we supposed to do now?"

"I fuckin' told you already! Turning in Hallden's daughter is how we get our payment. Travosky wants her alive. So beating the shit out of her isn't going to get us our share of money now is it?"

The other man with a deeper voice, asked, "But how do you know this is the daughter?"

"Simple. She was alone in the room. They probably want to keep her isolated to make it less obvious. But that's where they made the mistake since we'd been following them all afternoon. Hallden hires this team to watch his daughter, but didn't do a very good job since we got her."

Nathan rolled his eyes and pushed off the ground to lift himself into a crouch again. He really put Mara in a dangerous situation and he would have to make it up to her later when he got her back. And he would get her back.

"Stop that! Stop it!"

Mara grunted, frowning as she attempted to wiggle out of one of the men's hold. She managed to free an arm and used its hand to shove against the man's face. It was working, but a little too well. 

With a hard smack to his nose, the man released her and the other kidnapper shouted, "WATCH IT!" except his partner was holding his nose and Mara fell to the floor on her stomach. She whimpered at the impact, curling her fingers in. She tried to lift herself and make a run for it, but the man who had been holding her, pinned her down from behind. 

Her face was pressed into the gravel, making her wince and whimper knowing he was doing so on purpose.

"Well, daaaaamn! Are you sure we can't just have a little fun with her? She's a pretty little thing." 

The man lifted his hand off the back of her head and took hold of Mara's face by her chin, squeezing enough to sink his fingers into her skin. Mara cried out, jerking her face from his grasp as his fingers were sliding down her arm.

The other man replied angrily, "Davis! Cut that shit out! She's not to be harmed! What the hell do I have to say to get it through to you?!"

The man on top of Mara was grumbling at his partner that he only asked a question as he was using a cord the other handed him to tie the brunette's arms behind her back. He then lifted himself to his feet and left Mara tied on the floor.

Nathan lowered onto his stomach again, careful to not let the soles of his boots graze against the gravel in the lot. He was lying across from Mara who saw him and her eyes widened. She looked helpless, frightened; adding to how guilty he already felt. He raised a finger to his mouth, silently warning Mara to do or say nothing to not give anything away.

Back in his crouching position, Nathan turned to the right to see Adam hiding behind a small car just across the way. Adam lifted two fingers and pointed towards Nathan in a circular motion. Nathan nodded, returning the single except he tapped the top of the two digits he held out to Adam.

Adam nodded, disappearing.

Nathan waited for the moment he heard car horns going off as the diversion. It was a split moment that the two men were distracted and both were startled by the blaring noise. They walked forward to the front of their vehicle just as Nathan took that time to jump up and run over to see Mara had lifted herself up onto her knees.

It made it easier for Nathan to lift her up into his arms and hid her where he was earlier. He whispered for her to stay quiet, brushing the strands of hair from her wide-eyed face, before he returned to where the men were. One of the men turned around, heading back and was mumbling to his partner that they should hurry up and get out of the lot, but at the sight of Nathan he halted in mid-sentence.

Nathan growled, curling his fist and socked the man in the throat, wrapping his arm around the man's neck and pulled upward until he heard a loud popping snap. Releasing the man, he watched the body fall limply to the floor.

A scowling Adam appeared seconds after and threw down the other man in front of Nathan. The brunette held out his gun to keep the man on the floor from trying to escape. He glanced up at his friend whose back was still turned until he heard Adam's safety click.

Nathan turned around, lowering a brow and was gestured to the grunting man on the floor.

As he lowered, Nathan turned the man over onto his side and mentally applauded Adam's work on the man's face. The man's eye was bleeding along with his nose and lip. Just looking at the man reminded him of how Mara's face had bits of cuts and was most likely to bruise from when she had been dropped.

Nathan grabbed onto the man's collar, sneering through a growled, "Who do you work for?!"

The man snarled, shaking his head as a silent gesture that he was not going to say a word. But Nathan grabbed the guy by the collar and yanked him upward, making the man painfully groan. He winced, turning his head away when he was shouted at again.

"WHO DO YOU WORK FOR?!"

The man coughed, shaking his head and gave in to the chills this green eyed man shot through him.

"Travosky! Ch---Charles Travosky!"

Nathan frowned, leaning back so that the man relaxed his posture. He then punched the man to the side, standing and gave a curt nod at Adam.

The brunette nodded, understanding the silent message, walking forward and bent to grab the pleading man's arm after rolling him onto his stomach. He then stepped on the back of the man's neck, tugging the arm back at the same time of putting pressure with his foot until there was a loud snap from the unidentified man's neck.

Nathan had walked away by this time, returning to where he had hid Mara.

Only to find that she wasn't there. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

702K 27.6K 65
Sophia Bennett, a 23 year old woman, looking for a job which will pay her enough to use that money to pay off the debt she had taken for her sister's...
692K 24.8K 32
Losing his wife by a ghastly accident Nathaniel Carter turns from being a husband to becoming a housewife. Now left to cater for this three years old...
260K 9.9K 51
I was roughly brought into my room and dropped into my bed.I was burning with anger. "Where were you?", asked my mad dog husband."I'm out ",I said. "...
9.5M 456K 109
An age gap love story. A brokenhearted billionaire. A college girl. ***** "Nevaeh," Aiden whispers, "can I rest my head on your shoulder?" I nod, l...