The Bodyguard (Book 1 in the...

By SAMiAMiz

Nathan Henry thinks of no one but his family. With his family on the verge of being thrown out of their home... More

Just a Book Trailer
Chapter One
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Epilogue

Chapter Two

5.2K 213 96
By SAMiAMiz

Nathan tucked the small blanket around his mother as she was sitting back against the sofa. His sister was moving about the apartment; picking up clothing, shoes, wrappers, and empty beer bottles off the floor.

Chambers eyed his sister as he was finishing up his third serving of the microwavable goodness, taking long gulps from the red cup his brother gave him earlier.

He wondered all the time how Lily was able to do most things like a normal person. She's been blind her whole life yet she knew when Chambers was trying to sneak up on her or when she needed to step over and around things blocking her path.

Nathan never saw it as anything unusual. He always was so proud Lily managed to do things on her own.

Of course, why wouldn't he? Nathan taught her everything.

All growing up, he researched the net on how to make life easier for Lily. Chambers remembered the many times (in the very beginning) when Nathan led Lily around with an arm linked with hers, letting her feel everything around her and even counting the steps it took to get around the areas of the house.

Now Lily walked around without assistance and didn't even act like she was blind.

As she was piling things she picked up into a bundle in her arms, she looked in the direction of her older brother.

Lily scrunched her nose, "I see that you boys aren't picking up after yourselves."

Nathan grinned a little when she said, 'I see', then he shrugged, knowing she couldn't see him, "We haven't been home. I'm the first one back here. Ben and Adam usually get back a few hours after sitting at the bar all day."

He watched his sister frown, moving a strand of hair from her face before leaning over the side of the lazy-boy by the couch. She stuck her hand in between the cushion to sit on and the backrest; she retrieved a peanut butter granola bar and lifted a brow at him.

Nathan shrugged again, a corner of his mouth lifting shyly.

"Adam sleeps there."

Lily nodded, "Yes. I know. I smelled the peanut butter."

She used the granola bar, waving it to scold Nathan, "How can you allow them to get drunk on the first day of coming back from whatever dangerous place you just came from?" Her cheeks turned red as she huffed, "You should know better!"

Nathan frowned. He wasn't a babysitter. Who was he to refuse his friends from letting loose after a dangerous mission they were given?

Going back to tucking in his mother and brushing her hair with his hand, Nathan shook his head, "They are grown men, Lil. I have my way of letting loose and so do they."

Lily scowled, "Pft! Yes. I don't need to be reminded about how you 'let loose', thank you."

Nathan rolled his eyes. He glanced at Chambers, lowering a brow when the youngest Henry spoke with his cheeks puffed out and filled with the pasta, "You mean sex?"

Lily snapped her head in his direction, hissing for him to watch his mouth.

Chambers frowned at his sister, shrugging non-caring, "What? What's wrong with saying the word 'sex'?"

He craned his neck forward, raising his brows, "I didn't cuss."

Lily scowled, "You might as well have. And how do you know about what Nathan does anyway?"

She grimaced just hearing that out loud. 

She didn't really like that her brother would "relieve his stress" with occasional one night stands. Those women usually came running back when they needed a night of cuddling... and then some. 

As if it wasn't bad enough that Nathan slept with these women when he returned from missions, Lily has to deal with these clingy women who come banging on the door at three in the morning asking for her brother. Lily had to be the one to explain who she was before being able to inform the pouting woman at the door of Nathan being out of the city, state, or country.

It was the one thing she disliked about her brother. She thought him to be a romantic when he spoke to these women but his 'hit it and quit it' attitude sort of broke that romantic side of him.

Chambers raised his brows, glancing wide-eyed at Nathan, who was also curious to know the answer to Lily's question. The teenager gulped the pasta in his mouth, sipping from the cup before swallowing.

Nathan crossed his arms and raised a brow as if to say, 'Well? I'm waiting.'

Chambers shrugged, "Adam tells me."

Lily looked at her older brother, whose mouth gaped open and then looked at Lily. His sister shook her head, pointing at him, "That man is vile and a bad influence!"

Nathan sighed, heavily, "Lil, he's fifteen. I'm pretty sure he's at the appropriate age to hear about things like this."

Lily scoffed, "Um, no!"

She dumped all the things in her arms into a hamper by the apartment door. Nathan tilted his head, waiting for her to continue. Which she did. Lily turned back to him, hands on hips, "He's fifteen! That is certainly not the appropriate age for him to know about those things!"

Chambers hated that his sister treated him like he was a baby. It really annoyed him.

"Oh, sure! Because being your age is waaaaaay more appropriate to know about sex."

Nathan gave Chambers a look before looking at Lily's scowl; she was eyeballing in her little brother's direction, and then looked back at Nathan when he shook his head, "Lily---"

But she shook her finger at Chambers, interrupting him.

"I'll have you know, little brother, that I do know about sex, thank you!"

Nathan's ears burned. Hearing about his little sister's first and only time wouldn't help his mood and stress that had now increased knowing they were all evicted from their home. The only home they'd ever known.

He threw up his arms, shouting, "Alright! Enough!"

Chambers mumbled, "Besides... I already had sex."

Lily looked at him wide-eyed with a sharp intake of breath while Nathan sternly snapped, "Chambers, shut up."

Chambers looked down at his empty container as Nathan sighed again. "We have to figure out this new situation before we go into any more family issues, alright?"

Lily gave one final disappointed look at Chambers before nodding in agreement.

☙ღ❧

By the time Ben and Adam got home, Nathan had informed them about his family situation. They were understanding right away.

Ben, being the one who owned the apartment, welcomed Nathan's family with open arms. He was kind to Nathan's mother more so than to anyone else. He'd take her hands and caress the top of them with his own and smile at her as he asked how she was doing, knowing well enough no reply would come other than blinks.

Nathan and Adam lived with Ben more often than in their own homes. Not that Nathan had a home to go to now, but the older man wouldn't have the young man and his family stay anywhere else.

The kid was like a son to him. A son he never had and more likely to never have; since his incapability to give a woman his own child was a disappointment Ben never showed. He didn't want to look weak in front of his boys.

Nathan would understand; treat him just the same as if he didn't know but Adam would make it just weird. He'd be all, 'Aw, Benny. Don't worry that your fish can't nab a hook! Who needs kids anyway?'

No. Ben preferred to just never mention it. Period.

Ben continued holding Mrs. Henry's hand, his thumb caressing the surface, as he looked over at Nathan who was making a bed on the floor for his brother and sister. He neatly placed four large and thick comforters on the floor after moving the coffee table out of the way and then brought two pillows (a pair that he used when he slept) before piling blankets onto the floor.

Then he made the bed that he normally slept in, in the spare room, more comfortable for his mother. Placing a glass of water on the bedside table before carrying his mother like a child into the bed and tucked her in.

Ben couldn't figure out how so much responsibility didn't make this kid lash out. With the type of job he was in, plus the family and financial problems they were always in, Nathan managed to stay his prideful self and keep his emotions hidden away. He didn't let anyone see him stress out or panic about anything.

Or at least, those were the only two things Ben hadn't seen. He's seen Nathan angry; his short temper almost getting in the way of their duties when on the field but it took Nathan large amounts of patience and strength to pull back and bite his tongue.

Ben remembered when Nathan first showed up on the job.

Back then, Ben wasn't very comfortable of having a shadow. He would have to be concerned for two people; the client and this kid that was following him around and observing how to do the job properly. Eventually, Ben realized just how much potential Nathan had. The way he never complained nor showed off (unlike Adam to whom Ben has rolled his eyes many times). It was always more about improving and getting things done with Nathan.

'If anything, I can only get better,' was always his response to Ben when the older man would have to be harsh and pin point the little details that needed correction or improvement.

Nathan was the only reason Ben refused retirement year after year, vowing to keep the young man under his watch until the day Ben died.

As they were all settling into their beds for the night (except for Ben who sat on the arm of the sofa Nathan was occupying with his arms crossed), Nathan shook his head telling his friend that he'd think of something to get them out of Ben's hair soon.

Ben frowned at Nathan.

"Boy, if you don't know me enough by now that I won't beat the shit out of you for thinking you all are a burden then I'm strictly disappointed in you."

Nathan grinned sullenly, sighing, "I know. I know this isn't a problem. But it is for me. I don't take kindly to having to be a charity case."

The older man nodded. If he knew Nathan enough, then he didn't need to question why Nathan said what he had in the first place.

"Nathan. I'll tell you what... you pay a third of my rent and we'll call it even. Your family has a place to eat and sleep for no charge."

"Half."

"Third."

"Half, or I walk."

"Third, or I tie your pretty boy ass to the back of my Bronco and shave your head for letting your pride get in the way of a safe place for your family."

Nathan lowered his brows. He eyeballed Ben smirking back at him and groaned, shaking his head.

"You really are a prick, you know that?"

Ben raised his brows, "Hospitality is indecent... is that so?"

He smiled when Lily and Chambers chuckled. Adam was already in his usual spot in the lazy-boy and snoring loudly with his mouth slightly open.

Nathan nodded, "Fine. I'll pay a third. But I'm buying groceries as well. No buts."

Ben smiled, nodding, "Alright, fine. Throw in a cigar and you have a deal."

The younger knew he was kidding but grinned back, "I'll toss in a whole box."

Nathan looked at his watch before unlatching it from his wrist.

"At least I get to sleep in tomorrow morning. I could really use the sleep."

Ben frowned, confused. Lily, too, looked puzzled in her brother's direction.

Nathan caught sight of this and raised a brow, cautiously, "What..?"

Lily shook her head, pulling her knees up to her chest and wrapping her arm around them.

"I was just curious..."

Nathan waited. But then had to ask, "About?" when she didn't continue.

Lily blinked, "Well... If you are so desperate for money... why not take that offer you were indecisive about?"

Ben looked at Nathan nodding, "That's true. You are in command of us three together. When we were offered that job, I'm surprised you didn't take it right away. It was expected."

Nathan blinked, looking down at the crimson carpet.

'Ben really needed to get a new colored carpet. This color is pathetic... and nasty,' he thought.

When he finished his thought he looked back at them, "It's just that... this is a big commitment."

Ben raised his brows, leaning his head back as he said, "Ahhhh. I see now what the problem is."

So did Lily.

She pouted, "You hear anything to do with that ten lettered word and you scurry the other way. Really, Nathan, you shouldn't be that way. Opportunities are going to go by and you won't get a second chance once you pass them up."

Nathan frowned.

So what if he wasn't into committing? He did so with other stuff. Like for example, Lily, his mother, and Chambers. They were the biggest and only commitment he wasn't afraid of. But he learned that in an early stage, ever since Lily was able to walk, so of course it came naturally to him. But when it came to other things... not so much.

Chambers wanted in on the conversation and piped up, "Are you talking about that rich lady?"

Nathan looked at his little brother and gave him a shrug and nod, "Yeah, but she's the daughter of Tycoon Hallden."

Chambers scrunched his face, "Who's that?"

Ben filled in the boy about how William "Tycoon" Hallden was one of the wealthiest and most intimidating men in the country. He had so much money, it was impossible to count it all. He started out as nothing but a waiter before being taken under the wing of a successful businessman. This man taught Tycoon Hallden everything he knew and only because it was said that Tycoon Hallden saved this man from being hit by a car.

"Then when that business man passed away, he left a Will leaving everything; his money, his business, his properties, every single possession to Hallden. Then Hallden took all of it and made everything three times its worth---He's just that good before you ask how. He's a business man. Remember that---Anyways, his first and only wife was Romilda Sheffield. She was the prestigious daughter of some other big shot and arranged for Hallden to take her as his wife. Then the tragedy of losing his beloved wife that he grew to care for more than anything, left Hallden protecting the only piece of his wife that was left."

Ben shrugged, "His daughter."

Chambers looked skeptical. A man that was so powerful and fearsome was capable of loving? Did he love his wife? It sounded more like he loved money only because his daughter was now the only way of reeling in more dough.

He looked at his brother, "And his job for you is what exactly?"

Nathan answered, "Escort her to her fiancé."

Lily shook her head, "Why does she need an escort? Is he incapable of coming for her?"

Ben shook his head, "No... Edward Dante is just not the type of man to get on one knee and ask for her hand. He's more... how should I put this? Ah. He's more of a self-reserved fellow. This is all a money deal, you see, and even if he was considerate enough to come to fetch this girl, her father wouldn't allow it."

Chambers blinked, "Why not?"

Ben looked at Nathan and so Nathan responded, "Because, Chambs. This girl has never seen the light of day it would seem, and her father wanted to deliver her properly across the country like some prized dog."

Lily tilted her head, lowering a brow, "And this man chose you three to escort her? This prized possession no one's ever seen and expects everything to go smoothly knowing that the world will find out that she's on the move?"

Nathan never thought of that before.

Why did Tycoon Hallden want his daughter escorted by him and his men when the Presidential Agents would have done just as good enough a job as them? Why them out of everyone in the database?

Ben shrugged a shoulder, "Perhaps it has to do with your brother's reputation for honesty and chivalry and his extreme necessity to get things done."

Nathan looked at Ben who glanced sideways at him and beamed. The younger man shook his head and Lily made them all jump---including Adam, who snorted loudly---when she screeched gleefully.

She clapped her hands together, smiling, "Oh Nathan! I just had the most brilliant idea!"

Nathan eyed his sister warily. He loved her dearly but he had a feeling he wasn't going to like this "brilliant" idea of hers at all.

Lily blinked her green eyes and breathed happily, "Now hear me out..." She knew her brother and that he'd most likely have a doubtful look on his face before she suggested, "What if you the Heiress to fell in love with you?"

Nathan blinked, his jaw falling at such a question. He chuckled nervously, shifting himself on the couch. 

"Lily, you can't be serious?"

Lily raised a brow and that was enough to confirm it. Yes. She was serious.

Nathan groaned and shook his head sitting up. "No. No! I won't do it."

Chambers frowned, "Why not? You seem to be quite a catch with all these other women you meet. What's so different about this lady?"

The older brother looked appalled at them both. 

"Look, I'm not jeopardizing my job just because she has money. After all, I'm getting paid so much more than I normally am or expect. So no. That's out of the question."

Nathan looked at Ben. "Am I right?"

But Ben was mulling things over and the way his bottom lip stuck out and his blue eyes glazed over, Nathan knew that he would be siding with the other two any minute now. And sure enough...

"It's only ten thousand you'll be paid. And that's all together. How much is that compared split in three ways, to the infinite amount you'd receive if you were actually involved with this girl? It could save your home."

Nathan stared in disbelief. "Ben... this is our job! Not one of my late night bed shacks! I can't just magically turn into Prince Charming for this girl in the hopes that she'll fall in love with me on the spot, and give me any sum of money I ask for!"

Lily nodded, "She would if she saw you."

Nathan swallowed, looking back at his sister again.

She had a point. It wasn't as if one woman never found Nathan irresistible with his six-foot-two broad structure. His dark hair was kept trimmed just enough to keep up to military code but there was a slight fringe that fell forward onto his forehead. Nathan was definitely someone who turned heads whether he wanted to acknowledge it or not.

Many women were infatuated with his remarkable eyes. They were the same Celadon color as his siblings', only Nathan's hinted a ring of gray patches in various spots in the irises, a form of Heterochromia iridis which made them stand out more. It was impossible for any woman to steer clear of Nathan. 

Why should the Heiress be any different?

Chambers shrugged, "It'd be a lot of help, Nathan. You know it will. One look at you and she'll fall to her knees and have you begging to screw her."

The teenager made an "oomph!" sound when Lily frowned, turning her head and smacking the back of her hand into his chest, hard. Chambers doubled over, clutching to his chest and groaning as Lily turned to Nathan. 

"Please, Nathan? If this doesn't work with your looks, maybe this woman could still help us? She'd maybe see past the whole needing her money. You'd be able to take work near home and we'd have that peace of mind knowing you weren't that far away, and you'd be home soon."

Nathan grimaced. His sister really knew how to work his brain. He hated that.

Groaning with frustration, he leaned back against the seat of the sofa, the sheet falling to his lap and revealing a tanned and broad chest. He pressed the bottom of his palms against his closed eyes and took a deep breath. 

Ben looked at Lily and Chambers who were both waiting patiently for Nathan to respond. They all knew that his plan would only work if Nathan would agree, and... well, commit. And Lily knew she'd need Ben for that slight push and constant reminder.

Nathan eventually relented and groaned, "I'm so going to regret this!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.1M 161K 49
"C- Can you move b- back a little?" My words made him smirk and if it's even possible, he came closer. Why do I always have to stuck between him and...
420K 15.1K 67
Grant Ward, double agent and evil Hydra mastermind. But what would've happened if he had someone to keep him sane? This is the story of Samantha Slat...
2.4M 65.4K 31
Supermodel Mila Belvedere never expected her predictable life of fame, photo shoots, and flashing lights to take such drastic turns. Never would she...
4K 44 9
Hendry Arnaud Camden came from a long line of wealth. Hendry was groomed to be one of the successors of his family's wealth. With all the strict rule...