Remember the Time

By historynerd0401

{1996 - 2001} Marriage... Sounds like bliss to Michael and Mariah after the events of the past six years, but... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117

Chapter 28

732 29 29
By historynerd0401

April 30th, 1997

Michael snatched his arm back from Mariah. "Mimi, calm down."

She paused, staring at him as if she didn't know how to proceed.

"Mariah, I know you're mad, but I couldn't let her be out on the street, and after seeing how ruthless Tommy can be... I felt like I needed to help her."

"After seeing how-" She blew out a sharp breath. "Really Michael? She's just using you, like she does everybody."

"Mariah, calm down. I think you'd be pleasantly surprised to see how far she's come." Michael explained. "She's really not all that bad."

Mariah stared at Michael, partially happy that he was really talking and partially infuriated that he was really talking. "Michael, you don't get it. You don't know her like I do."

"And that may be true but she's a good person. We've been talking a lot lately."

Oh you have?

"Talking? About what?"

Michael took a few steps forward. "Mimi, she's just been very loving to me."

She's been loving? I know you're hurting baby but demons can't love.

"Michael, listen-"

"No Mimi. I don't want to ruin anything with her. Can we all just work it out?" Michael asked.

Mariah folded her arms. "Baby, you're not in the right mindset to be dealing with this."

Michael lowered his head in embarrassment.

"I-I mean-"

"I get it." Michael interrupted, his eyes growing despondent.

She closed her eyes, rubbing her temples. Mariah didn't mean to upset him, but she knew it wouldn't be healthy for him to get involved. She also knew it would take her awhile to actually be able to speak civilly with her mother, but she'd do it if it meant seeing her husband happy again. She sighed. "Okay baby. If it makes you feel better I'll talk to her. But I need some time to process all of this before I do."

Michael gave a half-smile and leaned in for a hug. "Thank you."

May 4th, 1997

Mariah finally calmed down enough to talk to her mother. She walked over to the guest bungalows and knocked on the door, bracing herself for what was to come.

"Mariah?" Pat said, shocked.

Mariah gave a half-smile. "Can I come in?"

Pat nodded, walking her into the living room. "Of course. It's your house."

"Sorry about that." Mariah said quietly, taking a seat. "I was pretty shocked to see you here."

"I know." Pat nodded. "I should probably apologize. I shouldn't have let Tommy get in my head, Mike is a great man. I should've left your relationship alone, but I want you to know I was only doing it to protect you."

"Mom, he was beating me." Mariah said flatly. "You told me to stay with a man who was beating me and made me abort my child. How can I forgive that?"

"You don't have to forget it, but you have to forgive. Forgive for yourself, dear." Pat said. "I know it hurt you, but I was in too deep. He was threatening me, and your career. All you've ever wanted was to be a singer and I wanted you to be the best you could. If I had've known, I wouldn't have done it."

Mariah sighed. "Mom it wasn't the first time-"

"Mariah, I have many regrets, but do know I was only trying to protect you the best way I knew how."

Mariah went silent. She couldn't fathom doing to her own children some of the things Pat did to her, but she was starting to see where Pat was coming from. She was only trying to make the best out of what they had, which wasn't much.

"I want to try with you, I really do." Mariah said. "But it's going to be hard."

Pat reached across the table. "So be it. I just want my daughter back."

May 4th, 1997

Pat was reading a book when there was a knock at her door. Mariah had gone to the studio after their talk, so it had to be no one else but Michael. She sat her book on the coffee table and went to answer the door.

"Hello, Michael." She greeted.

He stepped inside and went for the couch.

"How did it go with Mariah?" He asked.

Pat smiled. "It went well." She paused for a second, taking note of Michael's perturbed facial expression. "But how are you? You seem upset."

He sighed. "Well, The Jackson Five is being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I have to go and I know my family will be there. They said some pretty horrible things to me and Mariah and I'm not ready to be around them again. I haven't even talked to my mother."

She patted his hand. "You know you can always talk to me, Michael. I'm your mother too."

He smiled. "Thanks Pat." Michael looked down for a second in thought. "Hey, maybe you can go with us?"

"Go with you?"

"Yeah. It would be real nice." Michael said.

"Well-" Pat started.

"Please, Pat?" Michael looked at her with his big, bright eyes. She couldn't resist them.

"Alright, dear." She smiled, shaking her head.

Michael smiled from ear-to-ear and pulled Pat in for a hug. She hugged him back, revelling in the moment.

May 8th, 1997

Pat was in awe as they pulled up to the large triangular, glass building. As Bill helped her and Mariah out of the car, she could see the valets running back and forth, parking cars of all of the legends in attendance.

She glanced over at Michael, dressed in a military style jacket with gold detailing and a red armband, with his hair pulled stylishly back into a ponytail. Mariah was standing on the other side of him in an understated black dress with a mesh back and her hair pulled into a loose, curly bun. The only jewelry she wore other than her wedding band, was a gold choker that accented the gold in Michael's jacket.

They look amazing. 

Pat herself was also dressed in black, though hers was sequined with a white boa wrapped around her arms.

Michael linked arms with her and her daughter, taking a deep sigh. "You ladies ready to go in?"

Mariah nodded. "Are you ready?"

He hesitated and Pat squeezed his arm gently. "It's alright dear, we'll be right here."

"Alright." He sighed. "Let's go in."

May 8th, 1997

Bill stepped inside the venue with Michael, Mariah, and Pat following behind like little ducklings. The place was filled to the brim with all types of business people and celebrities. Michael spotted some of his long-time Motown cohorts and friends. There was his good friend Stevie Wonder, whom he said hello to, Bobby Taylor and Tommy Chong from Bobby Taylor & The Vancouvers, Levi Stubbs of The Four Tops, Gladys Knight, Suzanne De Passe, Hazel Gordy, and many others.

Though his brothers had already arrived, Michael soon became the star of the show, being pulled in every direction for photo ops with various Motown legends. Pat followed behind him, introducing herself to all of her own idols as 'Michael's mother', while Mariah was the subject of some attention in her own right.

Soon, the trio entered a large room filled with tables and mingling individuals. Mariah and Pat wandered off while Michael spoke with his old friend Barry Gibbs.

May 8th, 1997

Katherine and Joseph walked around the venue with Jermaine and Rebbie in close proximity. They made it to their reserved table near the Gordys, the First Family of Motown so to speak, and soon all their children sans Michael and Randy came pouring in for hugs and greetings. Katherine sat down and noticed Mariah and Pat introducing themselves to all the Motown Legends. The pair were within earshot of the Jacksons' table.

"Hi Mr. Gordy, my name is Patricia Carey, Michael's mother. It's so nice to finally meet you." Pat explained as she stumbled up on Berry Gordy, Michael's old boss.

Katherine rolled her eyes and passed a knowing look to Rebbie, who was just as annoyed.

Pat was responding to a question from Berry Gordy. "Oh yes, Mr. Gordy. My daughter and I appreciate all you've done for our Michael. You know, without you there would be no him!"

Without me there would be no none of this. Katherine thought.

The past few weeks were especially daunting for Katherine. It was the first time ever Michael didn't call her for her birthday. Sure she was Jehovah's Witness but that never stopped him before. She knew deep down she was wrong for the way she spoke of Michael's loves but she couldn't take any more of Mariah's snide presence. Just having her around after having aborted her grandchild was too much for Katherine. It's not like she hadn't gone through this once before with-

"Katie!" Pat called out, rubbing Katherine's back.

Katherine narrowed her eyes and faked a smile. She couldn't have a scene in front of all these people. "Hello, Patricia."

The two shared fake appreciation before Pat stepped off.

Rebbie took notice and slid closer to Katherine. "Do you hear her?" Rebbie whispered.

"Mhm." Katherine replied, not taking her eyes off of Pat.

"That woman is trying to take your place! Just evil, her and her trashy daughter." Rebbie exclaimed.

Katherine looked around for Michael before spotting him in a corner being force-fed hors d'oeuvres from Gladys Knight. She turned her head to the other side of the room looking over to Mariah. She quietly shook her head and whispered back to Rebbie, eyes branding Mariah, "I wish she would just go away."

Joseph stood up from the table and walked over towards Marlon who was standing near their table talking to Freddie Perren, an old Motown producer.

"Aye man!" Joseph called out to Freddie. "How you doing? Long time no see."

"I'm alright man, I'm alright. How you been?" Freddie responded.

"Aye I been good!" Joseph laughed.

"Hey Joseph." Randy said as he walked up to them with Janet close behind.

"Randy?" Joseph smiled. "It's good to see you, son."

Randy smiled back and nodded his head.

Soon, Michael walked up to the group. "Hey everybody." He said, quietly. Michael looked up at Randy. "Randy?" He pulled him in for a hug. "Where have you been, man? We missed you."

Randy chuckled and replied, "I've just been hanging around, you know."

"Dunk!" Michael smiled at Janet and gave her a hug. He made his way around the circle hugging everyone until he got to Joseph.

"Joseph." Michael said with a hint of a smile on his face.

Joseph took a step towards him and clutched his son. "You feeling better?" Joseph asked.

Marlon, Janet, and Randy, peered on, watching the rare father-son moment. Without responding, Michael stared down at his feet and frowned. He looked back up and looked around at his father and siblings and said, "I'll see you all after the show, okay?"

Joseph nodded and Michael walked away.

Back at the Jacksons' table Katherine looked on at the group. She was happy Michael and Joseph were finally starting anew but it hurt her that he didn't even come over to greet Jermaine and Rebbie, let alone herself.

May 8th, 1997

"Michael!" A woman's voice called out from afar. The voice was all too familiar. Michael looked around to see where the voice was coming from.

"Michael baby!"

Michael searched and searched, hoping he wasn't just hearing things. Hearing that voice brought back a slew of memories. His temperament became ardent and impatient, and he began to sweat trying to find her--until there was a tap on his shoulder. Michael turned on his heel and looked down, before cowering in her overpowering presence. The woman sported a dark colored leather sleeveless vest and pants-suit, and was covered, head to toe, in diamonds. Her hair was shoulder length hair was voluminous as always and curly all over.

He didn't know whether to smile or cry.

She pulled him in for a hug before promptly pulling away to get a good look at him. She ogled him with her big doe eyes and smiled. "Hey baby."

Michael looked like a kid in a candy store.

"Hey D-D-D-"

She looked at him, concerned. "When did ya start to stutter?"

"He doesn't stutter, he's just excited." Pat interrupted, walking up behind him and grabbing his arm. "Hi, I'm Pat. Michael's mother."

The lady smiled at Pat and took her hand. "Hi Pat."

Mariah stood behind Pat, partially star-struck, partially irritated.

"And hello to you Mrs. Jackson." The lady exclaimed, pulling Mariah in for a hug. "It's nice to see you again."

Michael's eyes widened at the sight. He couldn't believe what he was seeing.

Mariah was equally surprised. She wasn't expecting the woman to be so sweet to her.

"I love you." Mariah's words came flowing out of her mouth like word vomit.

Did she just tell her 'I love you'? Michael thought, a stark confusion washing over his face.

The woman looked at Mariah, both flattered and afraid, before looking back up at Michael. "Well sweetheart, I have to be going. Can't be late for your big moment. I'll see you on stage."

The woman pulled Michael down and landed a kiss on his cheek before walking away, gracefully.

Ms. Ross The Boss takes no prisoners.

May 8th, 1997

Jackie, Jermaine, Tito, Marlon, and Michael stood backstage watching as a reel of old Jackson Five footage played on the big screen. Michael, still angry with Jermaine, played nice for the public.

Soon after the video was over, the men began walking out on stage to give their speeches. Michael, having ruined his conversation with her earlier, put on a huge smile, palmed Diana Ross' head, and gave her a tight squeeze before walking out on stage with his brothers. Diana followed behind them, a bit taken aback by their enthusiasm.

When Diana got up on stage she headed straight for the podium.

"This is wonderful!" She giggled. "I was supposed to introduce them but they were here and they're here!" She began her introduction of them by first introducing and thanking their parents, then she went on to tell the story of how they all met--name dropping Michael quite often. She stood on the stage and told a version of their history together that wasn't completely true.

"I got to know them very well and I tried to train them. I tried to tell them-" She paused, laughing. "I tried to teach them how to make their beds, and how to wash the dishes and pick up the dishes from the table. So I was sort of like a parent and I feel like that."

Michael's eyes went soft. Diana was like a mother to him. But she was also like a friend to him, and, most pointedly, like a lover to him.

Diana continued. "Even though I don't see them as often, Michael and I bonded very early on."

Michael's head shot straight up. He was surprised she even said that.

Jermaine stood behind her joking with Michael, who just went with the flow so as to not cause a scene, "She bonded with you all right."

Michael rolled his eyes and turned his attention back to Diana.

Diana looked back at Michael. "And Michael I lo-," Remembering she was in front of hundreds of people, she caught herself. "I don't see these guys that much, I'm so happy to look back and see their faces!"

Michael clutched his chest. He could feel his heart rate rising as he nearly melted.

Diana passed the guys their awards and walked behind them so they could make their speeches.

Jermaine went first. As he spoke, Michael played along a bit but there was definitely a growing tension inside of him. Michael listened to his words and thought, What a liar. Family means nothing to you.

Becoming more and more agitated by the second, Michael took a step back from the rest of the brothers and walked over to Diana. The two commented on each of the remaining brothers' speeches and shared knowing laughs. Michael felt so at home with her. She talked him up as if he were on top of the world.

Soon, it was Michael's turn to speak and he walked up to the podium. He began his speech talking about what an honor it was to be inducted and thanking his parents. He gave them around of applause and continued.

"Berry Gordy, I love you. Like Diana Ross you were there, and now again, you are here." He paused and slowly turned back towards Diana, looking her dead in the eye. "I'm crazy about you." He made a come hither motion to Diana and she rushed in to hug him. Their embrace lingered as he whispered "I love you" over and over again in her ear.

They pulled away from each other and he continued his speech, asking Berry Gordy to come up onto the stage.

After greeting Berry, Michael finished his speech and Berry started his.

Mariah was sitting at the table next to Pat and Janet watching the show. Still worried about Michael being around his family, she never took her eyes off him.

Mariah glanced at Berry for a second, who was wrapping up his speech, and when she looked back at Michael, she noticed him inching closer to Diana.

"And to you Michael, Jackie, Tito, Jermaine, Marlon," Berry paused.

Michael grabbed Diana's hand and she clasped his hand with both her own. Mariah shifted in her seat and frowned. They looked like husband and wife up there on the stage.

Janet took notice and placed her hand over Mariah's, mouthing, "It's okay. It means nothing."

Berry continued, "Thank you for giving me the opportunity to say, 'thank you'." The man went around the semicircle and hugged all the brothers. Marlon then walked up to the podium and gave the closing remarks.

May 8th, 1997

Mariah finally found Michael. He had been talking to Diana after the show. They looked like they were speaking on a serious subject when she caught up with them.

"Hey baby." Mariah smiled at Michael.

He smiled back and gave her a side hug. "Hey."

She focused on Diana. "H-Hi, I'm sorry about that thing earlier." She was still stumbling over her words. "I don't know what came over me. I'm a really big fan."

"Michael told me." Diana replied with a light chuckle. "I figured that's what it was anyway."

Mariah smiled nervously. She wasn't sure whether to be excited about actually conversing with her idol or choking the hell out of the woman her man couldn't get out of his mind.

"So do you think you'll be able to make one in July, then?" Michael asked Diana.

"Well, I'd have to check baby." Diana started.

Stop calling my man baby.

"But I really do want to come out and see you perform so I'll see what I can do."

Michael nodded, a cheesing grin forming on his face.

Diana turned towards Mariah, then looked between she and Michael. "Michael, can you excuse us for a moment. I'd like to talk to 'Mimi'."

Mariah's face perked up in surprise. Oh my god! Ms. Ross knows my nickname!

Her surprise slowly faded into an irritated confusion. Wait...since when does 'she' know my nickname?

"Of course." Michael nodded. He pulled Diana in for one last hug, his left hand gliding down her spine.

Mariah stood by awkwardly, rolling her eyes.

"Okay baby." Diana said, letting him go. She turned towards Mariah. "Now Mimi- Can I call you that?"

I don't know? Maybe?

"Sure." Mariah replied.

Diana smiled. "You are a very lucky lady, do you know that?"

Mariah nodded.

"Okay because you have to know that. Michael is such a special person. He's beautiful inside and out." Diana started. "And with that beauty and all that love he has in his heart, comes a very shattered soul. Do you understand what I'm saying?"

Mariah nodded. Not really.

"See, you have to really love him. And really care for him. He's going to need you to be there for him, okay? He is very sensitive. I don't want him to get hurt in that way again."

Again? In what way? Mariah thought.

"And I mean, I love him more than he knows. And I know he loves me. And you need to be able to understand that that love is not going to go anywhere. It's not meant as a slight to you or anything. But he's just- I- He needed me, okay? It's the kind of thing that's hard to explain but that's just how it is." Diana clarified.

"I get it." Mariah responded.

Diana soon became very cryptic. "Just- Give that man babies, okay? As many as you can. He is hurting. I'm not sure how much it'll help but-" She paused. "Just do that for him. Do it for me. Can you?"

Mariah was genuinely confused. "Well...we're trying."

"Okay, sweetheart. Please take care of my baby. He needs m-" Diana paused, closing her eyes. "He needs you."  

Hello all, I just wanted you to know that I appreciate all of you out there reading, but I'd like a bit more feedback so I can improve my writing. Can we try for 10 votes and 10 comments? Please and thank you.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19.7K 941 25
An affair sparks when a man and woman find themselves crawling to each other in hopes of feeling the rush of thrill and intimacy. The woman, named Aa...
1.7K 88 9
Time has passed and the two have grown. One in a new state, the other building an entire empire. They both moved on with their lives, growing and mat...
25K 947 35
Skylar and Raven are happily married but they are still dealing with past challenges and people are trying to come back into their lives. Will they g...
11.6K 376 21
Read part 1 or else YOU WILL MISS OUT! Previously Ohm brought a newborn to Nanon's house and that baby became an important pillar of their relations...