Remember the Time

By historynerd0401

{1996 - 2001} Marriage... Sounds like bliss to Michael and Mariah after the events of the past six years, but... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117

Chapter 25

778 26 26
By historynerd0401

March 28th, 1997

Michael came out of the bedroom to Mariah sitting at the dining table drinking tea. He bent down and gave her a kiss on the cheek then looked in the mini refrigerator for some orange juice. He poured himself a glass and took a seat at the table across from her.

"You look like you've got a lot on your mind." He said in an observant tone.

She looked up from her mug. "I'm just thinking about how good this honeymoon was for us."

He smiled. "I'm glad you're happy."

She allowed a hint of a smile to grace her lips. "I want it to stay like this. I just don't know if it's gonna be that way once we get back into all the craziness."

He took a sip of his drink, then cleared his throat. "Well what do you think we should do?"

"I don't know, but I know we can't have another fight like we did in that car. That's not healthy." Mariah said. "I've got to control my anger better, I just..."

"And I've got to stop provoking you and tearing you down." He added. "I don't even mean it, I just say it because I know it's gonna hurt you."

The two looked at each other in silence for a moment. Mariah looked a little hurt to hear that Michael would say things just to upset her.

Michael looked concerned. "Baby I don't mean it like that. Like, in the heat of the moment, you know?"

"Yeah, I know. It's okay, I get it." Mariah wasn't convincing. "It's just- when you said I was only good for sex it really had me thinking like 'Is he for real right now? Does he only want me for my uterus?' Like it kind of makes sense why you would think that."

Michael looked down. He knew he was wrong for saying that, it was really low of him.

"So I was just thinking, about last night, I really enjoyed that. Like it was fun for me to do that in front of you. I felt powerful. And I was thinking that maybe we should do that more often. You know, instead of sex?"

Michael looked at her, perplexed. Girl, what?

"Hold on, wait a second. You want to stop having sex?" Michael asked.

"No! God no! I just want us to get to know ourselves a little better."

"With all due respect baby, I spent seven of the first nineteen years of my life 'getting to know myself'. I want you to 'get to know' myself-I mean me." Michael joked.

Mariah sighed. "Michael, I'm serious. Maybe we could limit the amount of sex we have and replace it with other types of stuff..."

"So you want to have sex once a month, with the lights off, in missionary, while you wear a white gown and a momentarily unlocked chastity belt, and then masturbate the rest of the time?" Michael asked, derisively. "Do you really think that would help?"

"Yes, I do." Mariah rolled her eyes. "I think it'll bring us closer and it'll help us find out what our triggers are."

"Triggers?"

"Yes. Like what makes us angry with each other and stuff. And then we can work out our problems more effectively." Mariah explained.

Michael sighed. "Alright. We'll try it. But if it doesn't work-"

"It will."

March 31st, 1997

It was four in the afternoon back in Los Olivos where Michael and Mariah were pulling up to the Neverland main house. Wayne let Michael and Mariah out, while Bill packed their luggage into the foyer.

"Thanks Bill." Michael said, walking up to the door. Mariah had stepped inside the house and went to the bathroom while Michael toted the luggage to the ground level of their bedroom.

As Michael walked back out of the bedroom to go into the kitchen, he spotted a bright orange ponytail bouncing into the hallway where Mariah was in the bathroom.

Michael's mouth dropped. His hands began to sweat and he panicked, running into the room where he saw the ponytail. He looked up. and to his dismay, it was Pat.

"Pat!" Michael whispered.

Pat looked up at him and smiled.

Michael maintained his whisper for the duration of their short conversation. "What are you doing?"

"I just needed to do some things." Pat whispered back.

"Go 'do some things' in your house!" Michael made a grand pointing gesture towards the window.

The bathroom door flung open. "Baby, have you noticed-"

"Hey baby!" Michael yelled nervously, running up to Mariah to block her view behind him. "Have I noticed what?"

"Uhh, I was just gonna say that the faucet in that bathroom is squeaking... What's going on with you?"

Michael was sweating profusely. His hair was stuck to the side of his face and his eyes darted around. "Nothing! It's just soooo hot out there! And I had to bring that luggage in the room. I am worn out." He shook his head, hoping she believed him.

She chuckled and pushed past him. "You need to start working out."

He ran up in front of her again, checking to make sure Pat was gone before replying with a toothy grin: "You think you're cute."

She looked at him, confused. "Babe, what are you doing?"

"Nothing. Why you keep asking me that? Let's go get something to eat, I'm starving."

"Uhh--okay..."

Mariah and Michael left out of the room and went into the kitchen. Michael sat her down at the island and instructed the chef to make them whatever she wanted. He excused himself and went around the house looking for Pat. When he didn't see her in the house he walked outside and looked around before just calling her.

The phone rang once and Pat answered. "I'm already halfway there, dear."

Michael sighed in relief. With Pat trolling around the main house, keeping her away from Mariah was going to be harder than he thought.

March 31st, 1997

Mariah and Michael had just finished unpacking and were having dinner together.

"I really like Aspen." Mariah started. "Do you think we could buy a home there?"

"Yeah we can," He nodded. "I'll talk to Denise-"

"Babe." Mariah appeared annoyed. "I can talk to Denise."

Michael hesitated. "Alright, I'll let you handle it."

"Really?" She was genuinely shocked.

He nodded. "Yeah,  you were right. We need to start doing these things together, so you can talk to Denise and then we'll discuss it."

She grinned. "Alright, I'll call her in the morning."

Michael was working on allowing Mariah more say in decisions, so he figured that letting her to speak with their accountant would be a nice step in that direction.

The phone started ringing and he walked across the room to answer it.

"Hello?"

"Aye, is this Mike?" said the voice on the other end.

"Yeah."

"Mike, it's Wyclef. Where have you been, man? I've been having this dope idea for this remix for awhile, and I need you to come down to the studio as soon as you can."

Michael glanced back at Mariah. "I'm kinda having dinner with my wife right now, can we do it tomorrow?"

"I'm flying out tomorrow. I really need you tonight."

He sighed. "Alright. I'll be there."

He hung up the phone, dragging his feet.

"What happened?" Mariah asked.

"I have to go to the studio tonight." He explained. "Don't wait up."

She rolled her eyes. "You know I'm gonna do it anyway."

He bent down and kissed her cheek. "See you later."

March 31st, 1997

Mariah was on the couch in the lower level of the bedroom, laying on Michael's chest. He had been at the studio the past few hours, and now that they finally had some downtime, Mariah just wanted to cuddle. They were watching the Lion King when Michael's phone rang.

"Sorry." He mumbled and grabbed his phone.

Mariah glanced up, watching his face contort to a dark expression. She sat up and gave him a curious look.

"Thanks Mother." He hung up the phone.

Mariah frowned. "What did Kate say?"

"Tabloids are talking." He answered.

Her eyes widened. "What did they say?"

He sighed. "That I'm beating you." Michael and Mariah sat still for a moment. Mariah stared down at the floor, a slight guilt washing over her face while Michael gripped his forehead, clearly distressed.

"I'm so sick of these people always talking like they-"

She rubbed his shoulder. "Well we know what's real and what's not. Who cares?"

"People read that stuff Mariah." He pointed out.

"I know, it bothers me too. I don't get how people can just sit around and spend their entire life writing lies about other people living their lives."

He shook his head. "It gets on my last nerve."

Mariah inched closer to him, leaning her forehead on his. "Like me?"

He chuckled. "Nah, I actually like you...love you actually."

"I love you too." She smirked and gave him a peck on the cheek. "I just wonder where that story would even come from though."

Michael leaned back on the couch and Mariah rested her head on his chest.

"Who knows? Somebody probably made it up this morning on their way to work and called the National Enquirer saying they know us. People do it all the time."

Mariah spaced out for a second, replaying the last few weeks in her mind. She thought about who she told about her fight with Michael. Soon, she grew worried that one of her 'friends' was not so true after all.

April 1st, 1997

Michael looked out of the window as a car pulled up the driveway. Mariah was rushing down the stairs, dressed in jeans and a tank top.

"Are they here yet?" She asked.

He nodded. "Ready?"

Mariah smirked. "Always."

He picked up a Supersoaker and tossed it to her. "There ya go, sweetcheeks." Mariah cheesed at him and he winked back. "They have no idea."

Mariah giggled.

Michael cracked the door open, watching a Neverland security guard help Rebbie out of the car and then Janet.

"Come on." He said over his shoulder, then shot out of the house spraying at Rebbie and Janet. Mariah was right behind him spraying and laughing.

A few seconds later, Rachel's car pulled up the driveway and she stepped out. She tried to dodge Michael's watergun but ultimately failed.

Soon, Michael and Mariah's water guns were empty and the their guests were dripping wet.

"Oh, fuck both of you!" Janet cried out, ringing out her soaking shirt.

Rebbie shook her head. "Real mature you two."

Rachel patted her wet hair. "Mariah you owe me a hair appointment."

Mariah giggled. "Well I'd also like to inform you that Neverland is boobie trapped."

"Good luck." Michael added.

Janet laughed. "I thought y'all invited us over for lunch. Not to torture us."

"Maybe a little bit of both." Michael said. "Let's go in, we've got some towels for you guys."

After Rebbie, Rachel, and Janet dried off they sat down to a lunch prepared by Michael and Mariah's chef.

Rebbie started. "So what's going on with you two?"

Michael and Mariah looked at each other, stuffing their mouths with food.

"Us?" Michael asked.

Janet deadpanned. "Literally who else could she be talking to? Literally Michael."

Michael laughed nervously, almost falling over onto Mariah's lap. "Well, Mariah thinks we should have a sex ban."

Janet laughed. "Really?"

"Baby bye." Rachel said, shaking her head.

"Whatever." Mariah responded, rolling her eyes.

Rebbie took a sip of her water. "I think it's a great idea."

"Of course you do." Janet said.

"What? I think if you really want to have a real connection you have to have that without sex." Rebbie responded.

"I've been married for six years now and we've had our ups and downs but the sex is a part of that 'up' part." Janet said.

Michael cringed.

Rebbie shook her head and turned back to look at Michael. "I think a sex ban would be good. How are y'all doing it? Like once a year?"

"Rebbie get the fuck outta my face." Michael replied, both amused and irritated at the ridiculous suggestion that he'd be deprived of sex for months on end.

Janet burst out laughing.

Rebbie rolled her eyes. "I'm serious Michael."

"Are y'all done or are y'all finished?" Mariah asked.

Michael narrowed his eyes and replied, sarcastically, "What are you saying right now Mariah? I don't think you know what either of those words mean. You sound like a walking Playskool commercial right now babe."

"You keep talking and you ain't gone ever get none." Mariah retorted, eyes laser-focused on Michael.

Janet watched them bicker back and forth while she chomped on an orange and received her entire being from their respective reads.

Rebbie turned to Michael. "Okay will you shut up? I'm trying to talk to the only person in this room, besides myself, who is familiar with our lord and savior. Mariah?"

Mariah looked at Rebbie approvingly. "Thank you, big sis."

Janet rolled her eyes.

"So I was thinking we would do it to where we'd have sex like twice a month with no set two days so we can keep it spontaneous. And do other stuff in the meantime."

"Other stuff?" Rebbie asked.

"She mean swallowing his babies." Rachel replied matter-of-factly.

Michael burst out laughing.

Janet gagged. "I did not need that visual."

Rebbie shook her head. "Y'all so damn nasty. Yah heathens."

"Oh loosen up Rebbie." Mariah replied.

Michael shook his head in utter embarrassment. "Is this how y'all talk about me when I'm not in the room?"

"Yes." Rachel's tone was dead serious.

Michael was dumbfounded. "Damn baby, you tell Rachel about our sex life?"

Mariah looked down suspiciously. Her voice lowered into nearly a whisper. "No..."

"She lying." Rachel exclaimed. "Do the tongue thing Mike."

"You told her about the tongue thing?" He whispered to Mariah.

"I like being dead and dying." Janet explained, trying simultaneously to rid herself of the visual and move the conversation along. No one paid attention.

Mariah looked to the side and said, in a shaky tone. "I don't know what she's talking about."

"Anyway," Rebbie interjected. "So a sex ban sounds like a great idea. That way you can work on your relationship and really get to know each other's spirits. You guys can really come together now."

"Ooh! Do the Cum Together dance Mike!" Rachel shouted with a snicker plastered on her face, trying to show off her knowledge of Michael and Mariah's quirky sex life.

Janet thought aloud, "Oh my god. I am completely done with these nasty asses." She pointed at Rachel. "She know every damn thing about it too."

"Well Michael and I don't see the point in being inhibited." Mariah shrugged.

"Mariah, baby, it's not inhibition to keep your sex life private." Rebbie explained.

Oh god. Michael thought.

Mariah crossed her eyes, annoyed. "Okay Rebbie, thanks for the advice." She replied, sarcastically.

Rebbie faked a smile and gritted her teeth. "You're welcome."

April 7th, 1997

Turner & McCollough CPAs, read frosted lettering on glass double doors. Mariah had arrived to she and Michael's accountant's office, ready to plan a new home purchase in Aspen. The now twenty seven year old walked through the main doors with Wayne close behind. She started up to the receptionist sporting a long sleeved black cocktail dress, large black butterfly sunglasses, and black closed-toe heels. Her hair was down and she was devoid of any jewelry, besides her wedding band, or extravagant makeup.

"Hi, I'm here to see Denise McCollough?"

Denise walked out of her corner office before her receptionist could call for her. "Hi Angela, come on in."

The two walked into Denise's office while Wayne stood guard outside.

"How are you? Mrs. Jackson?"

Mariah giggled. "I'm good, thank you. How are you? How's your kids?"

"Oh they're great. Isaiah just started soccer and Khalid is getting ready for travel ball so, we're trying to adjust for that."

"Wow! I didn't even know your kids were in sports. Michael doesn't tell me anything." The women laughed and continued to make light small talk while Denise prepared Mariah and Michael's file. When she finally finished putting together all the relevant information, Denise looked up at Mariah and asked, "So what size home are you two planning on buying?"

"Oh you know, nothing crazy like Neverland. Just a nice, cozy place."

"Cozy?" Denise looked at Mariah skeptically. Cozy to Mariah and Michael meant something totally different than to the average person.

"Okay well, maybe 3,000 square feet? A true family home in the mountains." Mariah explained. Denise eyed her a little longer.

"I swear!" Mariah exclaimed, giggling.

"Okay, I'm just making sure. You guys were already over budget in spending last month. You've gotta start making better financial decisions."

"Over budget?" Mariah asked.

"Yes." Denise replied.

"By how much?"

Denise pulled out their most recent bank statement and pushed it over to Mariah. Michael had delivered the then unopened statement a few days earlier. "Well, you guys spent over two-hundred fifty thousand dollars on home goods, nearly one-hundred thousand on your honeymoon, and then-"

"What is this?" Mariah had been reading the bank statement as Denise talked through their purchases. She pointed to a line in the statement for a wire transfer of one million dollars to a Ms. Patricia Carey.

"This has to be a mistake." Mariah exclaimed.

Denise reviewed the document before responding, "No that's not a mistake. Michael asked me to transfer that money a few weeks ago."

"Michael did what?"

"You didn't know?" Denise asked.

"Uhh, yeah." Mariah shook her head. "I forgot we talked about that. Listen, can we put this on hold for a few weeks? I'm having second thoughts about buying a new home right now."

"Sure. Is there a date you have in mind to revisit this?" Denise asked.

"Um, I'll get back to you on it. I just need some time to process some things." Mariah stood up and walked towards the door. "Thanks Denise." Mariah, now upset and frustrated, turned out of the office and walked towards the exit with Wayne following close behind.  

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19.7K 941 25
An affair sparks when a man and woman find themselves crawling to each other in hopes of feeling the rush of thrill and intimacy. The woman, named Aa...
1K 66 10
Love can become a battlefield, far from the bliss that it should be known for. Follow the continuation of Jasmine and Michael's new chapter. Will it...
2.1K 277 21
Two people of different worlds living in the same planet. When fate took an unexpected turn and unite them in the least of ways they could expect, w...
571K 12.4K 135
You and Michael..... That's all that matters in this book. Being all innocent and goofy to doing sinful things. Imagines unlike no other. Let your...