More Than Friends

By intellectual212

Odell and Kenya have been best friends throughout college. As graduation approaches and both their lives are... More

Broken Dreams
No Debate
Man Law
Not Good Enough
Game Day
Walmart Surprises
What Was I Thinking
Oblivious
1 To My 3
Bish Somebody better Get Khloe
Keep Him Happy
Question Guys About Story
Game Changer
Meeting Half-Way
Be Alright
Omg Yall I Just Died
More Than A Bestfriend
Savage
Anybody Know How To Make Gif
Answered Prayer
Reformed Heaux
Warnin: Turn Your Phone Brightness Down
Would Yall Look At This Ratchery
Struggle Plates
Reader Check-In
Unleashing My Sexy Part 1
Just For Me
Why They Do Odell Like This
Second Chances
Pimpin
Airport Goodbyes
More Important Than Football
Odell Been A Dancer
Odell Stanning For Lebron
For You Heaxs That Want Ramen Hair
I'm Fine
Grieving
Getting Through It
Lil odell
Which One Of Yall Can Pass For an 8th graders
Cooking Redos
Chosen Few
What Do You Guys Love About Them
Protecting Myself
Brandon's Surprise
Baby Fever
Bleeding Gold and Purple
Do You Guys Have Any Questions
Championship
Next Move
Have To Understand
Guess Who
Rude Awakening
Can I Just Say Yall The Best
New Holiday
How You Finish
Real Husbands of Oxford
Billy With The Blue Eyes
Like Everybody Else
Question About Sequel
Hug A Black Man
Freedom Songs
You Heauxs Will Leave Me Alone
What Do You Think About Scott
Nothing Ruined
Section 8 Dates
Burn Your Soul
Best day
This Book Is Ending Soon
Conflict Story Question
Flashback: Tutoring Session
Flashback: Send You Back To The Hood
I See Y'all Like The Flashbacks
Flashback: Research
Flashback: The Secret
What Are You Guys Learning
Flashback: The Truth
Flashback: That's It
Flashback: Why Do I Care
My Cam Sings To Me
Flashback: Good Black Man
Flashback: Friends
Flashback: Written Prayers
Flashback: Jealous
Three More Flashback Chapters
Odell Boy If You Dont
Flashback: The L Word
Odell Is Not With Demi
Flashback: Thick Creation
Flashback: Drunk Nights
How Many Times is Odell
Flashback: The Ritual
Karol's Cosemtics
Somebody Come Get Odell
My Day
What Are You Thinking Babies
This Book Is Done

Unified

35.2K 2.3K 1.5K
By intellectual212

Kenya POV-

The little over an hour ride from Oxford to London was awkward to say the least.

We're almost at the protest but here's a snippet of what happened on the way there.

"So Bil...I mean Scott, what made you want to go the Black Lives Matters protest?" Brandon asked to break the awkward silence of us driving on the road, with no sounds but the car.

"That's a rather silly question. Why would I not?" He looked over at Brandon with a rather agitated look, then back at the road.

"Trust me, it's a lot of people that look like you that aren't breaking their necks to go to a protest about black people."

"Not all of them have black mothers." He said rather snappy.

"Don't mean to pry. But what happened to your real mother?" Brandon asked.

"Clarissa is my real mother as far as I'm concerned. Any mother who abandons her child, isn't worthy of my life or memory."

My heart sank. I knew that feeling all too well. Especially with my father. I wanted to say something, but the last thing I needed was to create more tension with O. I remained silent, just staring out the window.

O was scrolling through his phone.

"Well that's her lost Billy and don't let nobody tell you different." Brandon said.

"Whose Billy?" Scott looked confused.

"My bad. Forgive me. I meant Scott. You remind of this guy I know name Billy."

"Ah-ha." He shook his head he understood.

"Are you into Science like your mom?"

"Oh no. I haven't the smarts for it. I'm a Journalist."

"Oh cool. So do you write for a publication or...?"

"I mostly freelance. Writing various places."

"Sorry if I'm asking too many questions. At any moment, feel free to tell me to shut up."

"It's fine. I don't get asked too many questions about myself, I usually do the asking so feel free to ask anything you want."

"What do you mainly write about?"

"Topics of race and gender. Currently I'm working on a piece of the invisibility of black women in social movements. I find it rather fascinating." I felt him looking through the mirror at me, but I refused to stare back.

"What do you mean invisibility of black women?"

"I know you see this in America more than I, but don't you think it's a little problematic that when a black man like Alton Sterling or Philando Castile die brutal deaths, an army of black women come out in support of them, but very rarely do people support black women in their causes in the same way."

"I hadn't thought about that." Brandon said.

"It's like the new thing I see on social media, this outcry of people saying show love to black men. "Hug a black man." "I am afraid of having a son." But would men in general show the same affection toward black women in times of crisis?"

O rolled his eyes irritated at Scott talking as though he was black.

"It depends on the man." I interjected. "Odell has been there for me, in ways unimaginable."

"I'm not talking about a single man Kenya or in a relationship capacity. I'm talking about historically.  Historically, Social movements particularly with black people have consisted of more women than men, but black men have always been at the forefront. Relegating women to support or background roles."

"First of all you not black. So stop speaking on our community like you are. Your data and statistics can't tell you shit. We live this." Odell said irritated.

"You are very right. Not only am I white, I am not from America. Two odds against me, but I think we can all agree black men don't support black women the way black women support them. Am I right Miss Kenya? Do not American black men have a fascination with those that possess European standards of beauty? One of your athletes just had an "all white women yacht party?" He laughed. "Is that reality? And you being an American football player, I'm sure you've had your share."

"Muthafucka you don't know me. Don't speak on me." O snapped.

"O calm down." I told him.

"Your ass is not black. I don't care how many fucking black people you been around." O continued.

"No. I am quite of aware of not only my skin but my privilege. But being raised by a black mother. Seeing the racism , barriers and traps she encountered, even possessing the most brilliant of minds and her still being able to rise to the top, has given me and admiration, respect and reverence of black women that I can guarantee no man, black or white can top." Scott looked at me through the mirror.

"Bitch let me gon get this sex change so I can be a black woman." Brandon said to lighten the mood.

"I know one thing this black woman sitting beside me is taken. So keep your eyes and jingle fever bullshit away from her."

"Threats are punishable by jail Mr. Beckham." Scott laughed.

"Keep talking that's where my ass is going to be."

"Okay can y'all stop. And remember why we are here." I said as we got closer to where the protesters were meeting.

"You are wholeheartedly right and I apologize." Scott said.

Scott parked the car. When we got out the car. I kissed O's cheek and grabbed His  hand and we walked over to the Embassy.

It was such a beautiful sight to see thousands of people gathered to speak out about police brutality. People of all races who weren't even from America but were banding together in support of their America  brethern. I never thought we had this much support overseas.

A young Black British Man was speaking in front of the crowd.

We stand in solidarity with our American black brothers and sisters. We want them to know that their pain is felt across their ocean.

The crowd cheered.

We want them to know, that we even being thousands of miles away will not  rest until they receive justice. Because unless they are free, we will not be. And we are going to continue to raise hell, until the American government does something about it.

The crowd begin to say chant :

No justice, no peace. No justice, no peace.

With our closed fist high, in the air, me, O, Brandon and Scott were unified in this cause with the thousands of people present.

This moment reminding us, somethings are more important than our petty troubles and making history in this moment was one.

But how long this unity amongst us, would last...only time would tell. 😩

As I said before you heauxs are going to stop going in on me and my long ass snap chat stories before I heat you heauxs like Brandon does everybody in the book. I meant long story like Khaled. It was multiple snaps. Y'all annoying 😂🙄

Also I had to address the current situation, that's why I wrote this special chapter.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

74.8K 3K 32
Dominick and Tevon have been together since their senior year of high school and now they live in LA and they've been doing well. But, complications...
36.4K 435 7
A man's fate is determined by the woman in his life.
353K 11.8K 31
Odell and Camille have been friends for a few years, but what happens when one catches feelings? Will the other feel the same?
8.3K 429 16
Amirah Thibedeaux, a resilient beauty finding love at first sight with a Millionaire who built a modern "Black Wall Street" in Louisiana..This is the...