Whispering Tempest

By LifeLustingDreamer

With more foster parents than facial piercings (a feat in itself), Abigail "Gail" Hendrix has never been acce... More

Chapter One - Bon-Bons at the Bonfire
Chapter Two - The Freak Freaks Out
Chapter Three - Whisper, Whisper
Chapter Four - The Male Teenager
Chapter Five - Perfectly Normal?
Chapter Seven - No-Sleep Sleepover
Chapter Eight - Lucky Me
Chapter Nine - Strangers are Strange
Chapter Ten - Long, Awkward and Weird
Chapter Eleven - Good Kind of Hurt
Chapter Twelve - Not Another Tempest Thing
Chapter Thirteen - Chuck Norris in Hell
Chapter Fourteen - Something Dark and Something Fishy
Chapter Fifteen - Phoenix Blessed
Chapter Sixteen - The Prophecy's Inception
Chapter Seventeen - A Past Reclaimed
Chapter Eighteen - Flames and Shame
Chapter Nineteen - Five Witches, One Spencing
Chapter Twenty - Tears of Joy
Chapter Twenty One - Hot Stuff
Chapter Twenty Two - To Act Differently
Chapter Twenty Three - Spellers and a Cellar
Chapter Twenty Four - Battle, Fight, Die?
Chapter Twenty Five - Blood Red
Chapter Twenty Six - A Burn to Return
Chapter Twenty Seven - Every Beginning Needs an End
Torrid Silence

Chapter Six - Emerald and Amber

1K 32 11
By LifeLustingDreamer

Chapter Six – Emerald and Amber

All of my words escape me as she utters my name. The older woman feels too lovely for someone like me to speak to. I nod my head quickly as a reply, not wanting to be impolite. The Emerald ushers me closer but my legs are so numb from the spectacle of everything that Trevor needs to place his palm on my lower back to compel me forward. The Emerald laughs lightly but I’ve never been more intimidated in my life.

“So you are the unaligned one that has been roaming our Coven’s territory,” she states calmly. Even her voice is willowy and light. The Emerald extends her arm and I’m passed off from Trevor. She guides me up the stairs next to her with a single hand and a gentle smile. “You are uncommonly powerful, dear. Such extraordinary talent.”

The Emerald’s delicate fingers caress my cheek while her dilated pupils intently fix onto mine. Suddenly, my thoughts empty. It’s not like me to be so calm around people I find superior in every way, especially if it’s a stranger much older than me. Somehow I feel safer here. Her soft mint-green eyes enchant me to the point of silence and a lull of composure slips through my mind. I can’t remember why I was so freaked out before. After all, death is inevitable.

“Come,” she says abruptly, making me open my eyes. “There is much we need to discuss.”

We climb the marble stairs to the second floor, heading for a more serene environment. Each step leaves me less troubled. I inhale deeply and fill my lungs with a floral perfume. Trevor, who trails behind us, answers my unspoken question.

“It’s lavender,” he informs me. “We use a lot of natural methods here, more than most places.”

I breathe in the scent as it becomes more prominent. The last wave of tension leaves my body as we reach the second floor and turn to the left. A grand room stands before me where the lavender’s aroma is strongest. I cast a curious glance in the Emerald’s direction but I’m left speechless again by the room’s décor. Is there no end to the wonder of this estate?

“This is the Tranquility room,” the Emerald whispers. Her voice is like a melody, blending in with oasis’s natural symphony of crickets and the chirping of birds. I spot one of them dashing out of the corner of my eye but as soon as I turn to see it, it’s gone. “Lavender helps to purify the body and spirit,” she continues. “It’s infused with other organic ingredients which will calm your nerves, making this room the ideal place to explain.”

I’m guided through the large windowless room, staring like a child. The ceiling is more than twice my height and covered with simple yards of beige silk. Curtains hang to block the sharp corners of the house and small candles cover as many surfaces as they can fit. Their wax has melted over their stands meaning they’ve been burning for quite some time. A koi pond lies in the center of the room which we carefully step around. Orange and black speckled fish graze the surface of the water but otherwise the pond appears bottomless. I spot another of the finches I keep hearing but before my eyes, it disappears into the plants again.

Trevor leads me to sit on one of the wicker settees with the most comfortable cushions I’ve ever felt. The Emerald is seated opposite us on what seems to be a throne rather than a chair. Her ankles cross and her hands grace her lap. I straighten my back, wanting to keep proper in front of her. She smiles at my gesture before starting our much anticipated conversation.

“We have long felt the presence of your spirit,” she begins. “It’s been growing stronger each year, baffling us as to whom it actually belonged to. None of us would have ever guessed you were so young. In most cases, we can’t feel a presence unless they’ve already entered their Tempest. You can imagine our surprise to find you.”

I nod my head, going along with whatever she’s talking about. Maybe it’ll all make sense by the end of the day. The Emerald studies my features, taking in my piercings and dreads. Her expression remains placid but I know she feels as non-accepting as other older generations do. Sensing my discomfort, she adds, “You look lovely. Don’t let anyone tell you to think differently.”

I’ve never had that compliment before. My mood feels lightened yet there’s still the sense of the room keeping my mind fuzzy. It’s supposed to be relaxing but I’m not sure I like it. I rub my eyes, feeling ready to fall asleep. Trevor’s hand on my shoulder stirs my senses and I sit up again.

“Demons want you for greater purpose,” the Emerald whispers slowly, finally taking her eyes off me and looking into the little pond between us. Her hand grabs for the large green gem resting on her chest. I do that too whenever something isn’t right. The woman shakes her head and brushes her fallen blonde hair out of her face. “It’s not apparent why, though. I should be able to see your thoughts clearly in here but each time I peer into the deepest part of your Essence, I’m blocked.”

“You’re not making any sense,” my lips mumble out.

“Look to the koi pond, dear,” she instructs me. “See for yourself the trouble I’m having.”

My drowsy gaze follows her motion to the blackened water. It seems that the colorful carp have disappeared under the ripples of an impossible vision. The pond now reflects four girls varying in age but obviously siblings. They dance happily in a field of flowers, dressed in bell bottoms and knit sweaters. My eyes blink rapidly to check if I’m still awake. This isn’t a trick. My breath hitches but I concentrate harder on the water, gripping the edge of the wicker seat.

An eerie forest washes the sisters away. The path of the woods leads to a crowd of dark faceless beings, surrounding a massive fire at the cliff I’ve come to know as the Ledge. The focus is on a group of eight people huddling by the flames but their features are distorted as well. Another vision replaces the dark beings with a vacant beach. A woman rises out of the waves like she was born from the depths of the ocean. She reminds me of the seaweed covered girl I saw with Trevor only more dangerous than frightened, ready to attack with an insatiable hunger in her eyes. I whimper from the overwhelming surge of emotions coming with each ghastly scene. It’s terrifying and beautiful. I feel like crying with joy and shouting for the world to end. My body shudders, not being able to handle it.

Trevor reaches for my shivering wrist and I’m brought back to the Tranquility room. My stare flits from him to the Emerald as I’m at a loss for words. This shouldn’t be normal for anyone but they’re unaffected by my horror-struck expression. The Emerald clears her throat and leans forward on her seat.

“As you saw, you play a large part in the history yet to happen,” the Emerald explains. I can’t take anymore. I stand, not wanting to be in this room any longer but my balance is seriously lacking. There must be some kind of drug in the candles, there just has to be.

“What are you talking about,” I ask loudly, rubbing my temples. Trevor sees me sway but I swat his steady hand off. “History and essences and spirits? All I wanted to know is what happened to my neighbor and what’s happening to me.”

“I’ve told you, I’m not sure why they want you.”

I stand there with my arms at my side and the consciousness of my actions slowly returning. It’s impossible to tell if she’d being guarded on purpose or if she thinks I know more than I do. Hesitantly, I make sure.

“You’re not going to be telling me much, are you?”

“Tell me what you know and I’ll explain anything within reason.” Her stare becomes harder as she relaxes back. She’s challenging me. What did I even do? Raising my hands up, I step back. I’m done with it all. The weird house, the lavender hallucinogens, the blatant distrust; if she isn’t willing to tell me why Trevor had to kill Mrs. Fletcher, I don’t think I’ll be silent about the murder.

“Whatever,” I mutter, fixing my shirt. “Thanks for nothing.”

I shove my way past Trevor and head for the stairs. Gasping at my audacity, he apologizes for my behavior. I ignore it, trying to leave the floral scented haze that’s making me lightheaded. These things don’t happen to normal people. As soon as I find my way home, I’m checking myself into the nearest asylum.

“They won’t help you there,” the woman calls after me. I descend the marble steps quicker.

“Leave me alone!”

Trevor dashes down the stairs after me, passing easily and blocking the front door. It seems his beloved drug-dealing-queen-person, aka the Emerald, doesn’t like taking no for an answer. I reach for the door handle but he cuts me off.

“Do you even know what you are,” he asks in a whisper. “Your mom never told you? Or your father?”

“Get out of my way,” I command him. Trevor stays where he is but I’m not in the mood for anyone to oppose me. My arms grab for his side pushing with all my might. “Just let me leave. I want to go home!”

We struggle but he refuses to let me go. In this time, I hear the lady hurry down the stairs but I’m through with their insanity.

“Your parents died,” she cries out to me. I feel the tears biting at the corner of my eyes. She shouldn’t know that. “It’s why you don’t know your heritage. Let her go, Trevor. She isn’t a Coven traitor.”

My arms lose their will to push past the guy blocking the door and finally I give out. The uncertain emotions rampaging in my brain make me tremble worse than I’ve ever done. A gentle hand is laid onto my upper back and has me turn around slowly. The Emerald gazes down with her doe eyes, lifting my chin with a gentle hand.

“You are born of ancient gifts and Mystic blood,” she tells me. “You, Abigail Hendrix, are a Witch.”

It takes half an hour to calm down but eventually my heart rate evens out and the feeling I might implode dwindles into nothingness. Trevor is told to make tea while The Emerald and I reconvene in the dining room. She seats me on a rickety wooden chair at the table cloaked in ivory lace. There’s less jungle-chic in here and more royally decayed. A grand candelabrum hangs above us. Though it’s made of wood, it resembles tendrils of ivy. I keep my eyes locked to it, hoping I can focus enough of my energy to convince myself not to freak out again. It was awkward enough to have a stranger help up my weeping body and guide me carefully to sit here.

My face feels hot from crying and the salty tears are making my skin tighter. I wipe away the evidence of my embarrassment as Trevor returns with a steaming teapot, elegant ceramic cups and fresh pastries. He sits between the Emerald and I at the head of the table, unloading the tray and settling into his chair.

“Sugary food makes everything better,” he tells me, serving a flaky dessert with pink gooey filling to both of us. I nod my thanks and take a bite. The rich flavor flows over my taste buds, making me smile though my cheeks aren’t quite ready for it. “See? Much better.”

I eat another mouthful, agreeing whole heartedly. The pastry is delicious.

“I’m sorry for earlier,” the Emerald apologizes. “I felt being on the offensive side would keep my Coven safe. We truly thought you were another Coven’s traitor.”

I accept though still I’m not entirely sure what she’s talking about. As she continues, Trevor pours me a cup of tea with an earthy scent that tickles my nose.

“As of last week, you have been having strange visions, yes?” I nod. “We call this period a Witch’s Tempest. It feels as though a storm floods through your mind, messing with your usual balance. Each Tempest starts on the summer solstice before their 18th birthday where their true Essence opens to its full potential. It is to be embraced though it is quite frightening at times.”

“It’s like a second puberty for us,” Trevor puts it bluntly. The Emerald eyes him up with his direct choice of words but silently agrees. “Our bodies get fully developed and then the mind does. Mine was probably simpler since my parents taught me everything.”

“Yours is by far the strongest I’ve seen,” the Emerald hurriedly compliments. At least I think it’s meant in a nice way. I take a sip of Jasmine tea and keep listening. “You must be going through so much.”

“I guess. I don’t really know how to gauge it.”

The Emerald winks in my direction. Setting her cup out of the way, she stands and fetches something from the glass cabinet situated behind her. I glance at Trevor who flashes me an excited smile. Throughout this, I can tell he’s never been anything but himself. Even at school he acts as energetic and odd. I admire that; it takes guts to be real 100% of the time.

When The Emerald stands, she’s holding a strange wooden box. She places it gently in front of me while taking her seat back. I examine the little chest, wondering what’s so special. Before long, I feel the ominous air around the dark unpolished wood and recognize the symbols engraved into it. They were the same markings on the stake Trevor used to kill the creature from earlier.

“Open it,” I’m instructed by the Coven leader. My hands leave the comfort of my lap and pry the lid up. Inside lays a lavish silver bracelet on a bed of green silk. That’s not what I was expecting. Maybe a glowing magic wand or a spell book bound in human skin but not a cute piece of jewelry. I pick it up and the Emerald sets the box aside. The bracelet is decorated with a single tawny gem carved into a butterfly. Trevor offers me his hand and clips it around my wrist. In an instant, a surge of peace makes the air lighter and my senses clearer.

“Whoa. That… That’s better.” The Emerald lifts her chin as if she knew I’d like it. I twist the charm to examine it closer, finding even the smallest parts of the wings are carved. This definitely has a spell or something on it. “Will this keep me from seeing things or hearing voices? I don’t want to have another freak out.”

“The amber stone has been used for centuries in healing,” she tells me. “It is in your bloodline to have these powers but this charm will help channel your energy.”

“Yeah, but don’t I have a choice?”

The Emerald sets her cup down, almost choking on her tea. Trevor pauses too. Apparently that was the wrong this to say. I sigh, ready to head home again.

“I’m sorry about this,” I mutter. I point towards the door and scoot my chair back to let me out. “I think it’s time for me to go. It’s been enough for today.”

“Wait, wait,” Trevor pleads. His body blocks the dining room doorway. “Hold on a sec. This is good news. You know what you are and you’ve got power. Isn’t that something everyone secretly wants in an ordinary life?”

I scoff at him and turn back to the Emerald. She stands up too, moving closer and fixing the hair that fell from behind her ear. My arms fold on my chest, irritated they aren’t letting me make up my own mind.

“I never asked for this,” I complain impassively. My eyes keep glued to the floor. I may sound childish but I can’t help it. “Everyone calls me weird enough as it is, I don’t need super vision or invisibility to go with it.”

After a moment where the Emerald collects herself, she exhales intensely. It’s evident she’s never opposed in her Coven from the way Trevor is avoiding her gaze. “We are a people of mind and soul not of science fiction,” she mutters with frustration held behind her teeth. “Please, remember this is our culture you are insulting.”

“I’m not insulting anything. I just don’t want to be like you guys.” In truth, I don’t want my life to be more complicated than it already is. Being a part of the secret world of voodoo and magic will keep me from ever being socially accepted.

“You wish to go against your heritage so that you aren’t more of an outcast?”

“Did you just—?”

My eyes focus on her dilated pupils. She’s the one doing this to me. The light headed haze from before wasn’t from the candles but from her going into my mind. Talk about dizzy spell… Trying to convince me verbally is one thing but changing what I really feel goes against nature.

“Get out of my head,” I shout at her. “This is what I don’t want. I need privacy in my life. Me. Alone. I want to be who I am, not the Witch thingy you’ll turn me into. I don’t want it. What’s so wrong about that?”

“It’s your birthright.”

“But it still should be my choice!” Her face turns pink as though I’ve literally slapped her.

“If you wish to ignore your inheritance then you may leave through that front door,” the Emerald commands. Her pleasing tone is gone and replaced with powerful self-assurance. I draw back, feeling the knot of shame in my stomach for not wanting to be like her. She narrows her eyes and orders Trevor to move out of my way. “I suggest you do. You have no respect for your ancestry even as I try to warn you of the dangers you face. Get out of this Haven. Now!”

After feeling scolded like a child, I storm away. “Fine.”

My anger boils to the point of needing to clench my fists before I throw something. Never do I get this emotional. I guess that comes with the defect that is my ‘second puberty’. I leave the mansion through its front door and slam it shut behind me. A few paint chips fall from the decaying roof outside, bringing me back to a small sense of the real world. My lungs heave a good amount of air before descending the stairs. I have a long way to walk home and plenty to think about.

Me, a Witch? As if I’m not hated enough already.

I grumble incoherent words while rubbing my arms. Crying when I was told wasn’t from the confusion of being what she called Mystic blood. I cried because it’s another weird thing about me that I can’t control.

My abnormality is something I’m proud of. I love my piercings. I love not having to constantly worry about the state of my hair and I love the piece of my soul inked into my skin. I’m free of any standards and people can’t categorize me other than being a misfit.

Then again, I know I can’t always be like this. It would never survive my adult life since too many people are narrow-minded. My teenage years are the only ones I get to rebel during so it’s go big or go home. Having this Witch stuff thrown into it, I’ll have to deal with hoping not to predict my best friends’ death or accidentally casting a spell on my little sister. I won’t be quirky or edgy, I’ll be a dangerous freak.

Almost halfway down the long driveway, the roar of an engine starts up behind me. I want to look back, to see what I really can do but I’m too stubborn for my own good. I listen as Trevor turns the van around. By the time I’ve reached the street, he’s driven up beside me.

“Let me give you a ride at least,” he begs. I refuse and turn left onto the road anyway, shaking my head. He follows slowly behind and calls again. “You’re going the wrong way.”

Frustrated can’t begin to explain how I feel. As much as I don’t want a ride, I have no idea where I am and no idea how to get home. My arms are thrown up in the air and I reluctantly storm back to his van. “Take me home,” I order as I climb back into the passenger’s seat.

“Geez. You’re bossier than Katie is.”

My face goes numb as I remember my best friend. I left her at my house alone when I went to talk to Mrs. Fletcher about her garden. I check the time on the car’s radio and see a few hours have passed. Trevor, who must have heard my thoughts again, hands me his phone. Mumbling a string of swear words, I punch in her memorized number and pray she’ll pick up. Her irritated hello answers after a few rings.

“Katie!”

“Where the hell have you been?!”

“Uh…” My mind blanks on coming up with an excuse. She’d never believe the truth. I’m not even sure I totally believe it. “Um, Trevor was at the door,” I quickly lie. “He… thought it would be cute to kidnap me an-and pretend it was romantic. He’s kind of a nut job.”

Trevor rolls his eyes in the seat next to me. I let out a grumble of my own with my lack of good lying skills. With the thing held out in front of me, Katie yells into her phone as loudly as if she were talking on speaker. My best friend doesn’t end up believing me until Trevor takes the phone and apologizes. I stare wide eyed, hoping she’d give in.

“I guess I’m too creepy for the both of you,” he tells her. “I’m sorry I disturbed your day.”

Trevor hangs up the call and tosses it back to me. After slapping his shoulder and redialing her number, Katie picks up her phone again. It takes five minutes but I calm her down by making it up with a big, all-about-her sleepover.

“I don’t have work until three tomorrow,” I beg. “I can get some movies and popcorn with extra butter and chocolate and cupcakes.”

Silence on the other end. I squeeze my crossed fingers hoping my best friend will forgive me. I know her well enough that she hates not being able to hate me. Katie sighs and I know I’ve won her over.

“They better be chocolate cupcakes,” she says. I chuckle lightly, relieved she’ll go along with it. We agree for me to be home in half an hour and I hang up. There’s one problem down, a bazillion to go. My body slides down into the seat with a thankful moan.

“So,” Trevor starts. “Where did we go on this imaginary date?”

If looks could kill, he’d already be in a ditch. I roll my eyes and mutter, “Not to murder my neighbor, that’s for sure.”

“You know that thing was trying to kill you,” he says, turning the van right. “But you don’t care enough to want to find out why, do you?”

My eyes stare at him as we amble down the road. I’m not in the mood and he knows it.

“A Demon,” he tells me. “They feed off a Witch’s Tempest energy. It keeps them young. Usually they’re the most cheerful things in the world in human disguise.”

“Well Mrs. Fletcher’s always been creepily perky.”

Trevor checks the road as he turns onto another winding street and laughs. “Then she might have always been a Demon.”

I smirk staring out the window. That would explain so much. Another block passes before we stop in front of the supermarket five blocks from my house. Before I even get out of the car, I smack my palm to my forehead for being so stupid. When I left the house earlier I didn’t even have my phone. What made me think I had money to buy stuff with? Suddenly, Trevor tosses me $40 and unlocks the car door. His act is met with my surprise.

“Don’t worry about it,” he says. I look at him with a blank expression. This is too much, especially since I just forever made him a joking target in Katie’s eyes. “Friends are too important to lose,” he adds while signaling me to get out.

“Thanks,” I mumble back.

I open the car door and step onto the concrete sidewalk outside the store. He asks if I need a ride home but I shake my head. Trevor drums his hands on the steering wheel as I back away and wave goodbye. He’s strange but in his own weird way, it’s endearing. Trevor drives off and I sigh.

Katie and I were both right. He’s a freak… but a kind of a cute one.

.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

834K 31K 49
Love? No thanks. Cassidy Jordan won't open her heart to anyone after a devastating romance caused her death the first time she turned eighteen. As a...
20.2K 1.8K 21
Two months after finding out that they have magical abilities, Quinn is still struggling to come to terms with the fact that they're a witch. It beco...
1.3M 70.9K 75
*A Wattpad Featured Story* In order to solve the mystery surrounding her father's death, eighteen-year-old Naomi Noble is forced to move back to her...
7.9K 1.4K 10
She was the last female wolf alive, the last hope of the pack's survival-a featus for the offspring and, sadly, only one for the thousands. For years...