More Than Friends

By intellectual212

Odell and Kenya have been best friends throughout college. As graduation approaches and both their lives are... More

Broken Dreams
No Debate
Man Law
Not Good Enough
Game Day
Walmart Surprises
What Was I Thinking
Oblivious
1 To My 3
Bish Somebody better Get Khloe
Keep Him Happy
Question Guys About Story
Game Changer
Meeting Half-Way
Be Alright
Omg Yall I Just Died
More Than A Bestfriend
Savage
Anybody Know How To Make Gif
Answered Prayer
Reformed Heaux
Warnin: Turn Your Phone Brightness Down
Would Yall Look At This Ratchery
Struggle Plates
Reader Check-In
Unleashing My Sexy Part 1
Just For Me
Why They Do Odell Like This
Second Chances
Pimpin
Airport Goodbyes
More Important Than Football
Odell Been A Dancer
Odell Stanning For Lebron
For You Heaxs That Want Ramen Hair
I'm Fine
Getting Through It
Lil odell
Which One Of Yall Can Pass For an 8th graders
Cooking Redos
Chosen Few
What Do You Guys Love About Them
Protecting Myself
Brandon's Surprise
Baby Fever
Bleeding Gold and Purple
Do You Guys Have Any Questions
Championship
Next Move
Have To Understand
Guess Who
Rude Awakening
Can I Just Say Yall The Best
New Holiday
How You Finish
Real Husbands of Oxford
Billy With The Blue Eyes
Like Everybody Else
Question About Sequel
Hug A Black Man
Freedom Songs
You Heauxs Will Leave Me Alone
Unified
What Do You Think About Scott
Nothing Ruined
Section 8 Dates
Burn Your Soul
Best day
This Book Is Ending Soon
Conflict Story Question
Flashback: Tutoring Session
Flashback: Send You Back To The Hood
I See Y'all Like The Flashbacks
Flashback: Research
Flashback: The Secret
What Are You Guys Learning
Flashback: The Truth
Flashback: That's It
Flashback: Why Do I Care
My Cam Sings To Me
Flashback: Good Black Man
Flashback: Friends
Flashback: Written Prayers
Flashback: Jealous
Three More Flashback Chapters
Odell Boy If You Dont
Flashback: The L Word
Odell Is Not With Demi
Flashback: Thick Creation
Flashback: Drunk Nights
How Many Times is Odell
Flashback: The Ritual
Karol's Cosemtics
Somebody Come Get Odell
My Day
What Are You Thinking Babies
This Book Is Done

Grieving

40.6K 2.9K 971
By intellectual212

2 weeks later

Odell POV-

It had been two weeks since Kenya's mother's death. Kenya, being the only family she had, decided not to have a big funeral. She instead cremated her and had a small memorial service  at her mother's home.

Her uncle and my mom, pitched in to help her pay. Her uncle also said he would watch over the house, while K went back to school. My mom also promised to help her with whatever other expenses she needed.

How is Kenya taking it? She cried at her mother's memorial, and that was it.

Now she spends her days and nights, in the school's library. I guess working harder than usual to get her mind off of it.

Over the past two weeks we probably said three words to each other. I noticed she was being distance, even though I tried to be there. She would ignore my calls and texts. And when I would come over she would ignore me and just do her school work. my mother told me to just give her, her space. I've tried to do that. I'd stayed at my apartment. But the silence between us was killing me.

After practice I came and sat across from her at the table she was at. I waited to see if she would acknowledge me, she didn't.

"I miss you." I told her.

She kept writing whatever she was writing.

"K."

She looked up at me annoyed.

"You heard me?"

"You're right in front of me." She said with an attitude and started back writing.

"It's almost 11. We should go home. I don't like you leaving out this late by yourself."

"I'm fine." She said writing.

"You more than likely been in here all day."

"I have major projects I need to work on."

"But everybody needs a break K."

"I'll break when I'm dead." She said not looking up from writing.

"K. You pushing me away and I'm trying to be there for you in every way possible. But I can't do that if you won't let me."

"I don't need you to be there for me. I got me. As I always have." She turned a page in her book and started writing.

I ran my hands through my hair frustrated.

"All this anger you got. It's going toward the wrong person. I'm just trying to be a good boyfriend and support you."

"I'm not angry." She said blandly, not looking up.

I sighed. She was really testing my patience.

"I gave you space because I wanted to give you personal time to grieve. But pushing me away, when you know you want me there, is not going to make things easier. Nobody needs to go through this alone."

"Odell I'm trying to do my work." She pulled her long sleeve stretch shirt up a little to scratch her arm, reading her book.

I grabbed her arm, and pulled her shirt up a little more.

"You been cutting?" I looked at her.

She ripped her arm away, got her stuff and power walked out the library. I went after her.

"Kenya!" I yelled as she practically raced to her car. I ran after her. Mind you I was a football player, wide receiver at that, she was getting away from me. My job is to run.

I grabbed her arm.

"Let me go." She yelled.

I pulled up both her sleeves. It was only on there right tho. "What the hell is this shit?"

She yanked her arms back. I wouldn't let her go.

"Let me go Odell."

"No, what is this shit?"

Her arm looked like this.

"Let me go!" She yelled.

A female student came over. I let her go. Not wanting to cause a scene.

"You okay?" She asked K, looking at me.

"Yeah." K got in her car.

"K." I looked at her.

She closed the door and drove off.

---

"K." I said as I walked in her apartment.

"Get out." She yelled.

"No, not until we talk about this shit."

She reached for her phone to call the police. I snatched it.

"Give me my phone Odell."

"No. Not until we talk."

"Give me my fucking phone." She yelled.

I didn't move.

She tried to get it, but I instead held her as tight as I could into my body. She tried to break free, but I didn't let her go. She stopped resisting and just planted her head on my chest and broke down.

Hearing her cry out in like a wail of pain, crying from her gut, like a mother whose child had just been shot, was the saddest thing I've heard.

I kissed the top of her head and laid my head on top of hers. Rocking her back and forth, to calm her.

Once I finally calmed her, I told her to go change for bed and lay down. Meanwhile I pulled some things out of my bag we use when we were injured in football to cover and heal scars.

I sat on the bed and motioned for her to come toward me.

She had on a t-shirt so I was able to reach her arms. I told her to give me one arm at a time.

I wet a cotton pad with some witch hazel without Alcohol and blotted her scars.

"It burn?" I asked her .

She shook her head no. It shouldn't have because there was no alcohol. I then took some African Shea butter and rubbed it on the scars.

"This gon heal them and take the scarring away. Our trainer uses this on us, like if we have surgery scars or something."

I then wrapped her arm with gauze. The best healing environment for a wound despite popular belief, was to keep the wound covered. It heals faster.

I put the stuff on the dresser, went in the bathroom to wash my hands, then took off my clothes, except briefs and got in bed.

"Lay on top of me." I patted my chest.

"O, I'm okay."

"I don't care." I said sternly.

She rolled her eyes and laid on top of me, like how babies lay on top of their parents chest. She needed to feel me physically there for her. That I was there to protect and care for her. We'd been distant  for far too long. On top of that, I wanted to be able to feel if she got up in the middle of the night to cut herself.

I kissed her forehead. "I am here. Stop acting like you alone. And know whatever you need, Imma get and do."

She shook her head okay, as she was falling asleep.

I whispered a prayer over her and then I finally closed my eyes.

This would be a long journey for us. And I don't dare profess to be the expert, but I was going to make sure I kept my promise to Ms. Morris to take care of K and make sure she accomplished her dream.

Send all prayers and love our way you guys. 🙏🏿

What's going on in you guys minds? What's your feeling about the direction of their relationship and the story?

Is your interest still the same as it was at the beginning of the story?

How have you seen them grow for better or worse? How would you like to see them grow as they get closer to graduation and the draft?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

LOSS By Eleraobari

General Fiction

346K 16.8K 38
A plus size woman struggling to maintain her sanity with her unfaithful husband and her insecurities.
3.4M 189K 107
Kenya is on top of the world as one of the world's most successful rising businesswomen. But she quickly learns she can't have it all. Something must...
353K 11.8K 31
Odell and Camille have been friends for a few years, but what happens when one catches feelings? Will the other feel the same?
8.3K 429 16
Amirah Thibedeaux, a resilient beauty finding love at first sight with a Millionaire who built a modern "Black Wall Street" in Louisiana..This is the...