Shattered Line

By Ashanina

Life and death are separated by a thin line. As a soul passes between them, a blank slate is presented anew... More

Authors Note
Prologue
Chapter 0: Unnamed
Chapter 1: The Beginning or the End?
Chapter 2: Inner Strength
Chapter 3: A Life or Death Decision
Chapter 4: Peace and Quiet
Chapter 4.1: Bartez and the Nightmare
Chapter 5: A Painful Parting
Chapter 6: Unknown Whereabouts
Chapter 7: A Shaky Plan
Chapter 7.2: A Shaky Plan (Part II)
Chapter 8: Kidnappers Lair
Chapter 9: Intermission
Chapter 10: Fin Ardin
Chapter 11: Reunited
Chapter 12: Magic Theory
Chapter 13: Quarrel
Chapter 14: An Unforgettable Past
Chapter 15: The Truth
Chapter 16: Death and Betrayal
Chapter 17: A Bitter Reality
Chapter 18: Her Decision
Chapter 19: Preparations
Chapter 20: Quiet Time
Chapter 21: Into The Forest
Chapter 22: A Forest King
Chapter 23: The King's Sharp Claws
Chapter 24: Damaged Goods
Chapter 26: Arcadia
Chapter 27: The Result
Chapter 28: Payment
Chapter 29: Erose
Chapter 30: Underworld
Chapter 31: An Error
Chapter 32: The Lost Name
Chapter 33: A Sudden Turn
Chapter 34: The King of Gods
Chapter 35: Redemption
Chapter 36: A Change of Heart
Chapter 37: A New Gift
Chapter 38: Leef
Chapter 39: Resolve
Chapter 40: The First King
Chapter 41: Cost of Life
Chapter 42: Request
Chapter 43: Silence
Chapter 44: Death March
Chapter 45: Second Wave
Chapter 46: Him
Chapter 47: Diversion
Chapter 48: Final

Chapter 25: The Mountain Peak

342 35 1
By Ashanina

Day broke and early morning flooded the cave pinhole. Her tired eyes welcomed the sight. For she knew, with light her journey neared completion.

Isla gathered her items, their dampness absent. The mild warmth produced by Slate's enchanted item had proved useful. Now if only he could be as well. She sighed, quiet and short. Did last night's verbal spat still invade her mind? Granted he was incompetent, but grudges created mistakes. She knew better.

Still, forgetting would be impossible, even ill-advised. The memory of his actions and words were valuable. Though she exposed a temporary weakness, her heart settled. Next time would be different.

Grazing her leg, she pressed the skin beneath her torn pants. Firm and smooth, the wound had disappeared without a trace. Her gaze diverged, inspecting her removed boot. The leather backing was mangled and rugged. She frowned at the shape. What a pity.

Isla laced her boot and peered at Varnis. He rearranged the rocks to remove their concealment. She stood, hunching her back and pursued Varnis outside.

Breaching the hold, she stretched her arms and cracked her back. Isla ignored his passive glance and inhaled the morning air. Sleep had evaded her, but the magic fatigue lacing her muscles manifested a fraction less.

"Boss," Ham voiced from the cave entrance. Large bags darkened the underneath of his eyes.

Varnis cocked his head at the sound. "How's his condition?"

"The high fever has lessened. He should be fine with rest, but returning will help him recover for sure."

He scratched his chin, sending the hand up his face. "Alright. I'll take Princess to the stairway. Keep watch until I return."

"Roger." Ham inspected Isla, his mouth cracked. But he smothered the gap and returned to the cave.

Isla watched his retreating form. What had Ham meant to say? Were they words of wisdom or condescending remarks? Forget it, nothing said, nothing lost or gained.

"Ready?" Varnis stifled a yawn as he asked.

She nodded before falling into pace behind him, his back straight and relaxed. He advanced without his men, even his healthy mates. Did the third ring's strength thin? Or did Varnis glean newfound confidence from their failings? No, a leader never flipped sides without purpose. The leading thought prevailed with her initial impression and daylight.

Light sprinkled from above, their streams caught and scattered by the foliage. Bird-like chirps conducted a lighthearted tune, pleasant and delicate to the ears.

Small furballs sprinted past her, they paused, black eyes staring and wrinkling their tiny noses at the intruders. They continued on, scurrying up trees or rushing into bushes.

Their trek progressed to another lake enclosed by high cliffs. The water, a clear sparkling blue as they traversed the bend. Light gleamed off the surface and tiny ripples spread from the center.

She watched the ripples, mesmerized by their appearance. An odd sight, but understandable as they revealed the large body beneath the surface. With one swift motion, the creature reared from the depths. Water gushed and streamed to the lake's perimeter desperate to escape the upheaval.

The creature's head alone encompassed the entire lake. The grandiose diminished to a graceless speck as the top narrowed into a thin frame. With poor support, the head flopped with each shift. Though the sleek white filmed torso widened into a wide foundation, Isla's awe vanished at the clownish sight. She stopped, watching the head bob.

"Ignore it. The Albata won't harm us," Varnis said.

Isla's eyes flickered between the two. Who named this creature? The closeness to the Ancient language held her captive. Well, finding remnants of a dead tongue never shocked her. But here in Arcadia, the past had a larger presence.

They veered left, back into the dense foliage. Low hanging branches knocked their heads and tall thorn covered ferns brushed against them, the barbs clinging to fabric. She jerked her cloak, escaping the nuisance.

Open areas littered the forest in pockets. The small openings grew high blue flecks with white, yellow and pale green flowers. The petals curved and extended, forming spirals to encase the powdered stigmas. And unlike the prior ring, the scent soothed the senses.

They entered another patch, a giant irregular rock mass at the heart. Blue-moss shrouded the top and spotted the bottom. The peak contained one lone flower with thin white petals.

Varnis stopped, lifting his arm inches from her. "We go around."

"What is it?"

He hesitated, his brow wrinkled. "Petrum, a rock-based creature."

Isla searched his face but muffled her gut response. Had something changed? Her gaze returned to the hulking formation as they circumvented the grassland. Halfway across, the creature trembled before lifting with six rock crafted legs protruding from the sides. Rifts existed within the supportive limbs, her guess aura sustained the connections. Molding the body with magic spawned dangers, but unlike Humans, a single element had it easy.

Her heart sank as they evaded the creature, traveling away from the hideaway. Another Ancient language derived name. What purpose did this discovery pose? There had to be history here, something unknown, but pressing. She could feel the draw.

They advanced, reaching their final destination. The trees parted, revealing the mountain base. Free stones and gravel cloaked the giant foothold, segregating the forest landscape. Neither soft growing moss nor wide ashen trees penetrated the divide. The mountain above stood bare, shaded by grays.

Blended against the monotone scene cropped a winding staircase. The steps were carved and embedded. A stairway to Heaven? What irony.

Varnis stopped before the stairs. "Have fun, Princess."

Isla smirked. "One would think you're trying to encourage me with that tone."

"Don't mock me. Even I know when such is needed and not."

She swore her jaw would have gaped. How in the Mortal Realm did she control herself? He had changed. Shocking considering he threatened her life last night. So why?

"You're quick to change, Varnis," she added before taking the first steps.

He grunted. "Careful, or I'll change my mind."

She paused her ascent, glancing over her shoulder. "Let me guess. You compared me to them."

Varnis shrugged and flicked his nose. "You're related. Arrogance runs in the family. At least you were helpful, don't push it."

Her grin widened, but she returned her attention, her face hardening. The top faded, the mountain peak veiling the staircase end. Her hand rested on her sword, her fingers itching to use the cold steel.

A trance consumed her as she worked her way up. Her focus frozen on the steps. If Varnis remained behind, his presence disappeared. Her mind heeded no care but the impending trial.

The wind whirled, flapping her cloak and driving a chill deep. Her hair floated then crashed around her face.

Still, the end neared as she caught sight of two short stone squares. A glass orb within each contained a glowing white ember. They framed the symmetrical doorway leading into the mountain, the interior cut clean.

Isla surmounted the last step, her muscles sustaining a slight ache. She stopped, a silverish glint morphing to purple veil ahead. Would this be the same as before? No, instinct told her the unique hue had meaning. The color enraptured her gaze, the intensity varying as she stared.

She sent a finger forward to probe the barrier. A shock of electricity coursed through her. Isla snapped her fingers back and flexed them, waiting for the buzz to dissipate. What did this mean? A barrier for protection to avert the interests of intruders, or a test?

Forget it. Her pathway existed straight ahead. She had no choice.

Isla pushed her whole hand through. The barrier burned, serrating her body, the pain traveling up her arm. Sweat rolled down her face and she gasped. Arcadia created one troublesome barrier. The cursed shroud stole her physical energy. Headbutting this obstacle would not achieve success.

She directed her aura, spreading the power over her body and molded a shield. Sparks generated at the direct confrontation of aura versus Arcadia's might.

Her advance was slow. The pulsing vibe sent throughout her body damaged her senses. Her body moaned but she continued, using one last spurt of strength to launch herself.

She landed past the barrier, the ground hard. Her lungs heaved and sweat mingled with dirt. Her extremities twitched and her limbs spasmed, playing a game of their own.

Patience wrought recovery, calming her rapid heart rate. Her head twisted to view the cave. The darkness dense and uninviting.

Great, what was next?

A/N: Sorry for the delay was out of town this past week. Enjoy~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

260K 10.2K 37
"You, my dear, are a demigod." She said. "Excuse me, what?" Her granddaughter asked. "You're one of a kind, dear." ~ΔΟΛ~ ΔΟΛ~ ΔΟΛ~ Clover Be...
Gray Skies By Nicole Sturgill

Historical Fiction

1.3M 50.5K 36
North Carolina 1851 Deep in the mountains of North Carolina lives a branch of the Cherokee nation that no white man had been able to remove. They cou...
79.6K 8.6K 61
#1 romance fantasy #1Dragonlove, #2 Paranormal Romance highest rankings. Awards: Short list of Writers Recognition Awards Dark humor, justice, and l...
328K 21.6K 40
"How did you find this place?" Zia asked the King, speaking for the first time since entering the tent. "I've been searching for the location of your...