More Than Friends

By intellectual212

Odell and Kenya have been best friends throughout college. As graduation approaches and both their lives are... More

Broken Dreams
No Debate
Man Law
Not Good Enough
Game Day
Walmart Surprises
What Was I Thinking
Oblivious
1 To My 3
Bish Somebody better Get Khloe
Keep Him Happy
Question Guys About Story
Game Changer
Meeting Half-Way
Be Alright
Omg Yall I Just Died
More Than A Bestfriend
Savage
Anybody Know How To Make Gif
Answered Prayer
Reformed Heaux
Warnin: Turn Your Phone Brightness Down
Would Yall Look At This Ratchery
Struggle Plates
Reader Check-In
Unleashing My Sexy Part 1
Just For Me
Why They Do Odell Like This
Pimpin
Airport Goodbyes
More Important Than Football
Odell Been A Dancer
Odell Stanning For Lebron
For You Heaxs That Want Ramen Hair
I'm Fine
Grieving
Getting Through It
Lil odell
Which One Of Yall Can Pass For an 8th graders
Cooking Redos
Chosen Few
What Do You Guys Love About Them
Protecting Myself
Brandon's Surprise
Baby Fever
Bleeding Gold and Purple
Do You Guys Have Any Questions
Championship
Next Move
Have To Understand
Guess Who
Rude Awakening
Can I Just Say Yall The Best
New Holiday
How You Finish
Real Husbands of Oxford
Billy With The Blue Eyes
Like Everybody Else
Question About Sequel
Hug A Black Man
Freedom Songs
You Heauxs Will Leave Me Alone
Unified
What Do You Think About Scott
Nothing Ruined
Section 8 Dates
Burn Your Soul
Best day
This Book Is Ending Soon
Conflict Story Question
Flashback: Tutoring Session
Flashback: Send You Back To The Hood
I See Y'all Like The Flashbacks
Flashback: Research
Flashback: The Secret
What Are You Guys Learning
Flashback: The Truth
Flashback: That's It
Flashback: Why Do I Care
My Cam Sings To Me
Flashback: Good Black Man
Flashback: Friends
Flashback: Written Prayers
Flashback: Jealous
Three More Flashback Chapters
Odell Boy If You Dont
Flashback: The L Word
Odell Is Not With Demi
Flashback: Thick Creation
Flashback: Drunk Nights
How Many Times is Odell
Flashback: The Ritual
Karol's Cosemtics
Somebody Come Get Odell
My Day
What Are You Thinking Babies
This Book Is Done

Second Chances

52.8K 2.8K 881
By intellectual212

Kenya POV-

"Ms. Morris can you follow me to my office." Professor Reid caught up with me after class.

"Sure." I was a little startled that he wanted to meet me. I was doing well in his class so I didn't see the problem.

"You're not in trouble." He reassured me as we walked down the stairs to the 2nd floor where his office was.

"Thank God." I let out a nervous laugh. Inside tho, I was so relieved. 

We got to his office and went in. It was stacked ceiling to floor with science books. He pointed to a chair for me to sit down.

"So I looked at the list of Rhodes Scholars. Didn't see your name." He said sitting down.

"Yeah." I sighed. He was one of the professors who wrote me a letter of recommendation for it so I guess he was keeping up with the finalist.

"No one from LSU ever became one. But then again in my time here, which is 15 years, I've never seen someone one with so much brilliance and passion for science and the black community like you."

"Aw Thank you Dr. Reid." I blushed. It meant a lot coming from him. He was one of my favorite professors.

"Which is why when I saw the list I immediately called Dr. Thompson."

My heart stopped. "Clarissa Thompson?"

"Yes. You seemed shocked."'he chuckled.

"No, no." I gave a nervous laugh. "It's just Dr. Thompson is one of the premier black Chemist in England. My whole entire four years here we've studied her work and read her books".

"And she also happens to be on the Rhodes committee. That's between us tho." He told me indicating it was a secret. Applicants were not supposed to know the committee members.

"We were in the same class when I was a Rhode Scholar at Oxford. I told her they were making a big mistake passing up on you. I told them, there is no more brilliant mind white or black in science than Kenya Morris. That you are our future. Not just because of your mind but your heart and your vision to use your brilliance to help your community. She told me she would be here in the states this week for a conference. And because I was so adamant about you. She said she would meet with you."

My heart stopped. This was a woman who was infamous in the science community. She was one of the few black Chemist whose work was well regarded internationally. And she was willing to meet with me? This week!?

"Oh my God. Professor Reid thank you. When?"

"Saturday. Are you free? She's going to fly out here."

"Yes of course." I said in disbelief.

"Well I'll email you the other details. Time and such, once I get her flight information."

"Wow." I shook my head still in disbelief.

"I can't promise anything, but I do know your brilliance will speak for itself and something will come from this. I just believe that."

"I'm speechless. I don't think you understand what this means to me. Like I didn't even tell my mom
I didn't get it yet, I was too ashamed and now this. Whatever comes from it, I will be grateful. Thank you." I shook his hand.

"You deserve it. Let me know if you have any questions."

"I will."

I damn near ran out the office in excitement. Just when you think God has given up on you, he puts opportunities in your path.

My phone buzzed. It was a text from O.

O: Just picked up your tickets for the Auburn game. You know if I need you at no other game, I need you there. And it's gon be on ESPN to? You know your 3 finna show out.  😜

Damn. 😞
-----

"Is bae still mad at us or we good?" Brandon asked eating some of his burrito bowl.

He had met me after class to get something to eat. So we were sitting in Chipotle.

"He's not mad now. But I'm trying to figure out how to tell him I can't go to the game Saturday." I said eating some of my burrito.

Brandon looked at me. "You do know this is Auburn right?"

"Yes I know." I sighed.

"You do know Cameron Jerrell Newton went to Auburn, hence I already packed my bag so I could drive those six hours to breathe his same air."

"Brandon it's not like he's going to be there." I rolled my eyes eating.

"Bitch I don't care. To breathe his same air molecules is enough. On top of that, you know it's the biggest game of the season. And It's televised, these hoes will see me with my number 2 cam newton auburn jersey on."

"You go to LSU." I looked at him. Auburn was one of their biggest rivals which is why the game was so important.

"And? These hoes ain't gon be paying my bills, Cam is so...your point?" He took a bite of his food, looking at me like I dare you say something.

"Anyway, your Thot dreams have to be put on hold. I have a meeting with a lady from the Rhodes committee."

"Oh my God we finna be in England?" He said super geeked.

"Idiot. I don't know. She's going to meet with me, so we'll see."

"Bye Cam a bitch need that royal money. Now I got to plot on Prince Harry and get my white woman British accent together so I can blend in."

"You are such a golddigger." I laughed.

"Somebody got to pay these bills cause I'm sick of paying them. And that no good nigga I got always broke. So Imma need you to impress this lady so I can be in the Royal family."

"Oh my God." I shook my head. "But how am I gon to tell O. You know he's so sensitive about this stuff."

"Simple. Listen Daddy Dell we trying to get in the royal family ain't nobody got time for your lil game. So suck it up and keep it pushing."

I stale faced him.

"What? He a man. Shit. He can take it. NFL money ain't Royal money. And we trying to get Royal paid. Okay?"

"Can you be serious for once?"

"I am serious." He said eating looking at me.

I stale faced him.

"Just be honest. He should be able to understand that this is our dream to get to England. And if he can't, then oh well. Your life can't revolve around him. You ain't one of these hoes looking for a payday like me."

"I just have a feeling he's going to be upset. And I..." I sighed.

"What happened to your ass being a savage?" He stale faced me.

"I am. Don't get it twisted. I'm going to tell him. And if he can't handle it then..."

He turned his lips up at me like girl please.

"What? I ain't scared of no Odell. He knew what this was when we got together. He knew I had my own plans. That I wasn't signing up to be some football wife and that if I couldn't make it. I couldn't make. Shit. He's a man. He gon have to get over it." I said with confidence.

"Hey Odell." Brandon looked up.

My heart stopped and I slowly turned around.

"You fool." I threw a napkin at Brandon. Nobody was there.

He laughed. "Grow some balls and just tell him. He'll get over it."

B was right. There was only one thing to do. Simply tell him. Wish me luck
Y'all. 😩

How do you guys think O will
Take It?

And if you think bad, what do you think Kenya should do?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

222K 16.4K 49
When you're young life is easy and things are black and white. As we get older the world changes and taints us, making lines that were once so clear...
21.2K 1.2K 44
Odell and Brielle are back years later still going strong and crazy in love with each other. Their kids are all grown up now and learning a lot about...
3.4M 189K 107
Kenya is on top of the world as one of the world's most successful rising businesswomen. But she quickly learns she can't have it all. Something must...
554K 32.5K 36
With three weeks left as a bachelor Cairo and his groomsmen think it's a good idea to take over the streets of Las Vegas. Let loose after a stressful...