Setting Myself Free

By midreveuse

The only way to be free...is yourself. Shannon Abigail Glenns. A total normal girl. Not. Some would say tha... More

~ATTENTION~
Prologue
Chapter 1~Escaped and Then Kidnapped
Chapter 2~The Gang
Chapter 3~Chase me, Chase me
Chapter 4~Story Time
Chapter 5~Revenge on the Gang Leader
Chapter 6~Paris
Chapter 7~Sandra
Chapter 8~Sight Seeing
Chapter 9~Party Dress
Chapter 10~A Mission Gone Wrong
Chapter 11~Apologies
Chapter 12~Funeral
Chapter 13~Friendship These Days...
Chapter 14~Last Day of Fireworks
Chapter 15~Fight me, Fight me
Chapter 16~Reflective Dreams
Chapter 17~Lovers and Old Threats
Chapter 18~Ignore me, but I'll kiss you
Chapter 20~A Perfect Date
Chapter 21~Her Story
Chapter 22~His Story
Chapter 23~All's Fair in Love and War
Chapter 24~I Love You
Chapter 25~The Tragic Truth
Chapter 26~Failed Attempts
Chapter 27~Let us Forgive
Chapter 28~Childhood Memories
Chapter 29~Trapped With Memories
Chapter 30~Joining the Gang
Chapter 31~My Brand New Kidnappers
Chapter 32~A Gang Leader's Story
Chapter 33~And the Torture Begins
Chapter 34~Drowning
Chapter 35~Someone Lives, Someone Dies
Chapter 36~You'll be Fine
Chapter 37~It's Like Deja vu
Chapter 38~Talking to the Dead
Chapter 39~Free
Epilogue
A/N ~1~
Extra #1
Extra #2
Extra #3
ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS

Chapter 19~Olivianne

789 30 21
By midreveuse

Have you ever woken up, thinking, hey, this is just like bliss. I think I'll stay here forever

Yeah, well what about something disturbing that blissful rest of yours? But, what could it be? A parade, perhaps? Or, how about some screams of curses, and noises as if an apocalypse is starting?

Too many questions? Let me break it down for you.

After many kisses and grins from Blake, I fell asleep in his arms. I woke up, noticing a smile still painted on his beautiful face.

Uhhhh—never mind what I just said. It's nothing. Really.

My head was pounding. Someone was screaming countless of curses. I have my bar of soap ready.

Blake was moving in his sleep. It would only be a matter of minutes before he wakes up. But, he looks so peaceful. Let me save him the trouble. I'll kick that cursing, idiot's ass.

Yet, it's a shame. I can't even hurt a fly without crying.

"People these days," I whispered, doing my best to sit up. Blake groaned, his grip only tightening. He always does this. I think he has an obsession with suffocating people. Oh gosh. If he kills me, I'm suing. I wouldn't care if I was a ghost. He would pay. With lollipops. Yeah, that would be fair.

In my opinion at least.

With a huff, I pushed Blake's arms away. He moaned in his sleep, his eyes fluttering, but still sealed shut. I sighed, glad that the monster was not awake.

Getting away from Blake was hard. He always caught me.

I climbed out of the bed, whimpering, already missing Blake's warmth. I hummed to myself, opening the door, and walking out. On instinct, my hands wrapped around my waist as I trudged down the stairs.

It was too early in the morning for all this ruckus.

God, I sounded like the Grinch. That...was bad.

When I arrived downstairs, the noise became clearer. My eyes adjusted to the bright light. I yawned, rubbing at my eyes. Once again, people these days. They have no respect, whatsoever, for your beauty sleep.

"What time is it?" I asked. I really didn't expect anyone to answer.

"Nine in the morning, you idiot." I jumped, startled to hear the voice. Me, being me, did the only thing reasonable. I opened my mouth and screamed as loud as I could. And I sounded like a banshee. Even my very own eardrums were bleeding.

"Oh my god!" I screamed. "There's a ghost! I swear I didn't do anything. I did not lead an army to capture Blake. Goodness! I didn't even throw the watermelon at Mike! I've been good!"

"Shannon—wait, you tried to throw a watermelon at me?" My head snapped up when I heard the voice. Mike. His brown eyes were widened as he stared directly at me. That creep.

"Hey Mike," I said, calmly. "I'm glad to see you. I was almost attacked by a ghost." Mike glared at me, before directing his attention to the floor. Looks like I'll never know who that ghost was. I also adverted my gaze to the floor. There on the floor was a single broom and mop. I snorted, causing Mike to look up again.

"Something funny, Shannon?" Mike questioned.

"Y-you're cleaning?" Mike sighed before falling back onto the couch. He looked exhausted as hell. There were dark eye bags under his eyes, his complexion was pale and noticeable. Mike's hair was messed up, strands everywhere. Mike was hell.

I walked over to him and sat down. Mike didn't glance at me. He seemed too lost in his own thoughts. I smiled at him, before giving him a small hug. Mike's eyes widened as he gave me a small pat on the shoulder.

"What's going on?" I asked. "I'm pretty sure you are not the maid." Mike winced, closing his eyes.

"Olivianne is coming today. She just told me. She could be here any minute," Mike explained. His shoulders slumped slightly as he covered his face with his hands. He looked so depressed. I was used to seeing him acting cocky and rude. This was new to me. This communication between us was even hard to define.

My lips twitched into a smile. "And why are you overreacting then? Excited for your little play date?"

Mike scowled at me. At least he wasn't depressed. "No, no. I just want to tell her the truth about me. Hopefully, she could accept my family." I almost cried. Mike just called the gang his family. Now, this had to be the best thing that has ever happened. Except for meeting Blake. But, don't tell anyone. I can't bring Blake's pride up, more than it should be.

"Really?" I smiled. "Are you saying that I'm your family?"

Mike shrugged. "Maybe. You're like...my annoying, little sister." I sighed. That counts as something, though. And maybe I did look up to Mike like my very own sassy, older brother.

"Thanks," I said. "How old are you anyway? Thirty five?" Mike laughed, his shoulders shaking. I giggled, glad to see that I made him laugh.

"No," Mike answered. "I'm twenty. The same age as Blake."

My smirk grew. "Blake's old."

All I got was another shrug. Is that his talent? Welcome to Mike's Talent Show. Watch him shrug at everything. But, oh, if you talk about his age, you'll get a chuckle.

How lovely does that sound?

Mike smiled at me then. "Blake isn't that older than you. Only by two years. But, what's happening with you guys? Are you two...dating?" Mike whispered the last part, eyes wide. I sat up straight, my expression matching his.

"What? No. I—Blake—no! He's just obsessed! Crap! No, no. He just likes—sh*t. F*ck. Oh gosh. Just...no. Leave me alone! What did I ever do to you?" I cried. Mike stared at me, dumbfounded.

"He's obsessed with you? Is he stalking you, Shannon?" Mike whispered. He looked around as if Blake programmed a camera in the room.

This is the first time I wished to just learn how to shut up. I need classes on how to keep a damn secret about your love life.

Do I even have a love life?

"No!" I cried. "I'm just speaking nonsense, you know?" Mike nodded but was still tense. I think I finally woke him up.

~~~~~~

"Thanks," Mike said, gathering the supplies. He just said thank you. Another cry worthy moment. I think it deserved it, though. After all, I did help him 'clean up.' After our...awkward talk, I went to go get ready for our supposed guest. When I came down, Mike started freaking out that Olivianne would come any second.

Mike takes after Blake. Both do not know how to chill.

Smiling at Mike, I plopped down on the couch. "No problem," I said.

The boy sat next to me, playing with his fingers. His mouth twitched and then fell into a frown. I knew there was something going on in his mind.

"What's wrong?" I asked. Mike glanced at me, letting out a deep sigh.

"What if Olivianne does not love me?" I let out a squeal, clapping my hands.

"My baby boy," I proclaimed. "Is so deeply in love. It's a shame, though. You're blinded by doubt." There was silence in the room. Mike didn't want to admit that I was true. I was used to it. Although, it was quite strange seeing that Mike was infatuated with a girl. She must be some person to grab a hold of Mike's cold heart.

"Listen, Mike," I said, growing more serious. "You're an...okay kind of guy. I'm sure she'll be...stupid to not love you back. I bet she's even scared to tell you herself."

Mike smiled. "Yeah, you may just be right, Shannon. Olivianne is really shy."

That was the second time I screamed.

"MIKE IS IN LOVE WITH A SHY BABY GIRL! My baby boy!" I shouted. I kissed Mike's cheek, just in the rush of the moment.

"Gross," Mike yelled, wiping at his cheek. He scowled at me, disgusted. Pounding footsteps thundered down the stairs. I looked up to see a yawning Aurelia and an annoyed Blake.

"What the hell, Shannon?" Blake demanded. "I thought you were being attacked." I snorted, crossing my arms.

"I am," I replied. "By love." Blake gave me a strange look, eyes widened. He didn't bother to reply.

Aurelia smirked at me and Mike. "So what's been going on?" Mike let out a cough, staring at the wall. Honestly, the wall was a dull, light brown color. I don't know why anyone would want to stare at a boring piece of cr*p.

I pulled Mike closer to me. "Mike and I are besties for life," I explained. Blake's eyes widened, his mouth opened. Aurelia squealed in delight, jumping up and down.

Another pair of footsteps came down the stairs. Ben was by Aurelia's side in a second, glancing around the room. His eyes glanced at his leader's shocked expression; at Aurelia, who was glowing with delight, and Mike who looked as if he wanted to crawl into a hole and die.

Ben's mouth formed a strange 'o' shape. "What's...going on?" he asked.

"Mike and Shannon are best friends," Aurelia informed him, smiling. Blake cleared his voice, looking as if he'd rather be anywhere right now.

"We're really not," Mike argued, his cheeks were tainted with a slight pink color. I awed at the sight, pinching his cheeks.

"And now my baby boy is blushing," I stated. Mike groaned, eyes still on the dull wall. I eyed the rest of the gang. An awkward atmosphere hung in the air.

Mike sunk deeper in his seat, looking at me. "She could be here any minute," he whispered. That reminded me. Olivianne. Mike was too embarrassed for the gang to met her. If he's blushing now, just wait until Olivianne comes. He'll be an exploding tomato.

"Blake," I whined. Blake's widened eyes finally landed on me, now etched with concern. "I'm hungry."

"Okay, what would you like me to do about your hunger?"

"Get me McDonald's," I demanded. I smiled at him, my innocent smile. If he could only fall for my smile, problem solved. Mike wouldn't have to be a scaredy cat anymore, and next thing you know, Olivianne and Mike are getting married. And it would all be thanks to me.

Blake rolled his eyes, crossing his arms. "You do not get to order me around. That's my job." I glared at him, no longer joking.

"Well, it's my job now," I said. Blake glared at me, only making me glare back. I didn't dare to break eye contact.

The first one to lose was Blake. He sighed, turning his back on me. "Fine," he said. "Just let me get ready." He thundered up the stairs, and out of view. I waited until I could hear his footsteps disappear, completely.

My smile brightened up the room in seconds. "I don't even like McDonald's," I said. Ben laughed, Aurelia giggling softly next to him.

"Thanks," Mike said. "You did good." 

I smiled at him. He was learning. It was just a matter of melting his cold heart.

"What's going on?" Aurelia asked. "Why did you need Blake gone?" Mike looked down. He was not going to answer. I think he was afraid of the gang judging him. Personally, knowing Aurelia, she would be too excited, that she would plan Mike's wedding ahead of time.

"There's a guest coming over today," I answered, smiling. "Mike's friend. Olivianne."

Ben started laughing, hands on his knees, tears escaping. "Mike has a friend that's a girl? Doesn't that count as his girlfriend?"

Aurelia scoffed, eyes narrowed. "Mike, why didn't you tell us that you were dating? Better yet, why didn't you tell me?"

Mike rolled his eyes, finally looking at us. "I do not have a girlfriend. At least I don't think so..." He trailed off, clearing his voice. "And I didn't want to tell anyone—including you, Aurelia—because I knew that you were going to react like girls."

"I am a girl!" Aurelia argued. She stomped her foot, glaring at Mike. Mike chose to ignore her. Again. He is really quite good at this silence game.

Maybe he can teach me how to play. That is, of course, if I'm planning to lose.

The sound of a soft knocking, made everyone freeze. The knock was incredibly soft that if you were even whispering, there would be a slight chance that you wouldn't have heard it.

Mike gasped, jumping up immediately. He ran to the door, his footsteps pounding as he went.

"What the heck?" Aurelia asked. "Why is Mike running?"

"Olivianne," I said, smiling. We all watched as Mike threw the door open. He was whispering softly to someone I couldn't quite see yet. Finally, he moved out of the way as a small girl hesitantly walked in the room. Aurelia gasped, watching her every move.

The girl seemed to be shorter than Aurelia as her small frame swayed forward. When she was closer, I noticed her chocolate brown eyes. Just like Mike has described. Her hair was a light brown, the sun making it an amber color.

She started shaking, her eyes darting around the number of people in this room. I would have cooed just looking at her. But, I wouldn't dare to. She was scared and was most definitely shy.

It reminds me of when I came to the gang. I didn't know anyone. And Blake—he was just a stranger to me.

"Hi," I voiced, jumping up from my seat. The girl took a step back, eyes widened. "I'm Shannon. The most awesome, funniest, and amazing girl you would ever meet."

Mike leaned in closer to the terrified girl. "Ignore her," he said. "That's the drama queen." I huffed, glaring at Mike. He just had to ruin my introductions. The rudeness I get from this gang. And I do so much to make their days fun.

Aurelia rushed over to the girl, hugging her tightly. Poor girl let out a small squeak. It seemed impossible for a person's eyes to widen even more, but she sure won in that category.

"Oh," Aurelia praised. "Won't you be a good dolly?" Mike was now angry as he pushed Aurelia off his 'lover.' Or Juliette as I like to say.

"Aurelia," Mike pressed. "You're going to kill her." Ben laughed, clearly amused by all of this. Judging from his smile, he accepted the girl in this small family.

The girl took a shaky step forward, biting her lips. "I'm Olivianne," she said in a sweet voice. I smiled at her and surprisingly, she smiled back. Mike looked at her in an adoring way, slowly guiding her to the couch. I waited until she finally sat down before jumping on the seat next to her.

"This is so lovely! I'm so glad you're here. Mike has been telling my everything about you! You two are just so adorable. I never thought he would shut up about you. He just goes on and on. Blah, blah, blah." I rolled my eyes. Next to me, Olivianne giggled softly.

"Shannon," Mike whined.

"He's my cousin," I informed Olivianne. "He always pushes me to the side. But, it's not like I listen. He's just my stupid, baby cousin."

Mike glared at me before looking back at the tiny looking girl sitting in the middle of us. "I'm older than you, Shannon," he said.

I grinned, rolling my eyes. "Age doesn't really matter. You're my cute little cousin-brother-bodyguard that I have ever encountered." 

Mike scowled. He always does that.

"I'm not your twenty four hour stalker."

Olivianne laughed this time. "You guys act like brother and sister," she commented.

"Yeah, it's a shame, though," I said. "Mike won't admit that what we have is special." Mike's scowl deepened as he did his best to glare at me. It didn't work. Obviously.

"You know," Mike said. "Shannon, you're fired. You're not my sister anymore." I gasped, pretending to sob. How could he do this to me? I'm sooo amazing.

"B-but I thought we had something special," I cried. I looked over to Olivianne, thinking that she could defend me. Her face was beet red, and it looked like she was choking on air. She exhaled, giggles coming out of her. Mike smiled amusedly at her high-pitched laughs that filled the room.

Aurelia sighed looking at the girl. "She's too adorable. I want to dress her up like a doll," she explained to Ben.

"She could help me throw paint buckets of ice cold water on Mike," Ben responded. Olivianne clearly heard what Ben said, and she stopped laughing to throw one bright smile at him.

"So Olivianne," I said. "Can I call you Olivia?" She nodded at me, her eyes twinkling at the nickname. Aurelia sat on the floor in front of us, also smiling.

"I'm not really fond of nicknames," I babbled. "But, I guess others are different. Can you tell us about your family, Olivia?"

The girl sank deeper into the couch, cheeks turning a rosy red color. However, she managed to smile at us, giving a glance at Mike, who gave her an encouraging smile.

"I'm a single child," Olivianne said. "I live with my mother and father, who both love me dearly. They can be...overwhelming at times. They still treat me like a baby.

"At times, I'm annoyed with them. But, I know I couldn't have asked for any other family. And as much as I wanted my freedom, I couldn't possibly give up my love for them.

"I am really just a normal girl. I went to school, graduated, and always had dreams. Just like everyone else."

I fell into silence listening to Olivianne's words. Hearing her talk about her family, and how she wouldn't give it up for the world, stirred up a sense of jealousy inside me. Days turned into weeks, weeks turned into months, and months turned into years where I have not seen my mother's comforting smile.

And there was this girl—Olivianne—who had a sparkle in her doe-like eyes, talking about the love for her parents. My father, who I knew nothing about, had died. My mother and baby sister, who I actually knew nothing about.

Olivianne had a family. The gang was its own family. As for I? Nothing but my dead thoughts, and haunted mind filled with endless amount of jokes.

Yeah, a rat army would be good. Sure, I'd love to be a rock star singing songs about candy. And yes, I'd love for someone to just buy me a damn lollipop already. But, I just craved for my mother's touch again. I just want to remember her smile.

I just wanted my family. I wanted to talk about my memories with them.

But I am just hollow; a joke hidden inside a lonesome girl.

"Well, that's lovely," Aurelia's voice said, taking me from my not so fun thoughts. "And you're so pretty."

Olivianne smiled at her. "Thank you." Mike wrapped his arm around her waist, pulling Olivianne closer to him. Just like Blake did to me.

Overprotective senses. Check.

"Shannon?" Aurelia called.

"Yes?"

"Don't you think it's time for you to join the gang. And Olivianne. Us girls would be a*s kicking maniacs." Ben snorted, his head leaning against Ari's shoulders.

My expression turned back into a calm one. "I don't know Ari. That's really up to Blake."

Mike's head snapped upon hearing Blake's name. "No, no," he said. "Blake cannot know about this. Gosh, he's going to kill me."

"Why?" I asked. I noticed Olivianne's eyes darting around each of us. She was silent once again.

Next to Olivianne, Mike rolled his eyes at me. "This is a gang. I know you're dumb Shannon, but you shouldn't be too thick headed to realize that gang means family. And family does not keep secrets from one another."

"I know. You're right. But what's the worst Blake can do?"

"He could kick all your a*ses," a voice answered. Mike's eyes bulged as he stared at the stairs. I turned in time, just to see Blake stepping out of the shadows. His face was expressionless.

Blue eyes darted around the room. At last, Blake's pointed gaze fell on Olivianne, who looked like she wanted to pass out.

"Who the f*ck is she?" Blake asked, his voice booming. "And why the hell is she in my house?"

Olivianne squeaked, not daring to meet the gang leader's eyes. I stood up, walking over to Blake.

"You're scaring her," I pointed out. Blake rolled his eyes at me. Typical gang leader.

"Does it look like I care?" he asked.

Maybe I should drop a bowling ball on Blake's head. He really is the bipolar one.

"Your mood swings are driving me crazy," I stated, rubbing my head.

Mike groaned, covering his face with his hands. "This was not how this was supposed to go," he exclaimed. Beside him, Olivianne looked like she was ready to explode. She never took her eyes off Blake, flinching every time he took in a deep breath.

"What the hell does that mean?" Blake asked. "Is my own gang keeping secrets from me?"

If only I could roll my eyes at Blake's stupidity. But, I was too afraid that he would hurt Olivianne. And she is just too innocent.

"You're being delusional, Blake," I yelled. "That sweet girl over there is Mike's girlfriend."

"NO SHANNON!" Mike yelled. His face was beet red as he stared at Blake, whose eyes were widened. Blake looked at Olivianne who was turning a deadly pale color.

Aurelia cleared her voice. "I'm living in a drama show," she said. Ben grinned at the scene as if he knew what was going to happen.

"Why...didn't you tell...me?" Blake whispered. His frown deepened as his glossy blue eyes continued to stare at the embarrassed looking Mike.

"It's not like you care. You don't believe in love. That seems to be your motto. And I...was just protecting the innocent. From you," Mike whispered, eyes widened in fear. Blake blinked. I knew he was stunned beyond words. Even I was shocked at what Mike had just spilled.

"Mike," Blake said, his tone barely audible. "This is my gang. My family. I won't keep you from living the lives you're all supposed to have. I'd never hurt anyone you care about." He stopped, his blue eyes gazing around his small family. With one direct nod, he headed up back into the shadows and up the stairs. Olivianne let out a shudder, gazing at the retreating shadow.

"Welcome to the family," Blake said, his back turned. We were all silent, listening to his footsteps against the stairs.

I cleared my voice, slowly following Blake. As I went up, I heard the others whisper and Mike's frightened tone.

"Blake," I called, walking to his room. I shivered, feeling a hand on my waist. Turning around, I looked up to see a pair of pained crystal orbs.

"Shannon," he acknowledged. His voice left me frowning. He was a closed book. Hurt and completely devastated.

"Are you okay?" I asked. I watched at he gave me a tight smile. An a-class fake smile.

"Yes," he answered. "I guess you never really wanted McDonald's." I let out a hum, stepping closer to him. I wrapped my arms around him, my face was hidden by his chest.

"Talk to Mike," I said softly. Blake touched my cheek; gently. The touch of a feather.

"Okay," he said. My heart pounded against my chest as I locked eyes with him. He gave me another smile. And this time, the smile was not forced.

"I hope to see you tomorrow, Shannon," Blake said, smirking. "At our date."

Hello, my peeps! How's your summer going?

Seriously, I don't know what's up with me and forgetting to update. You know, lately I've been having trouble remembering what the date actually is;) 

I woke up like, 'Oh, oh, today's Tuesday.'

That just might be my new song...

-melodytabora

P.S. Chapter 20 comes out next Tuesday! (That is...if I don't forget...)

Ta ta!

~EDITED~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

46 2 14
Sarah knows what it's like to have hard times in the past. Luckily, she has a group of insufferably annoying friends to teach her how to overcome her...
1.9K 61 16
"Oh, shut up," I joked while nudging her playfully with my shoulder. She planted her eyes in mine and articulated slowly, "Make me." My eyes widene...
175K 6.2K 27
No one acts the way they are on the inside. Everyone always has something they are trying to keep from others. Maggie has her own share of problems...
378K 8.6K 20
*COMPLETED* Welcome to Buckley's Ranch, full of sexy cowboys and all kinds of trouble! Lord 'ave mercy! Jessie is working as a stable hand, seriously...