INNOCENCE (Completed)

By PbxMarieEstelle

For the past 20 years of her life, Evelyn Faye Brookes was a normal girl until the summer when she was going... More

INTRODUCTION
Interlude
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
A/N
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Author's Note: FREEDOM WALL
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
AUTHOR'S NOTE #2
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
BOOK 2 Epilogue
SEQUEL IS OUT NOW!

Chapter 1

1.6K 60 8
By PbxMarieEstelle

Chapter1 ~2158 N.W.

"Excuse me miss but is this seat taken?" A woman asked, clutching her bag in her hand and a coat on the other. She looked a bit weary despite wearing a business suit. She must have been working overtime.

"No." I answered, shaking my head at her before going back to my sketchbook.

"Okay." She let out a sigh as she sat down next to me.

My pencil scratches along the surface of the paper as I drew thin lines and darkened some edges which I thought needed more detail. I felt her eyes follow my hand, and eagerly at that. I glanced at her direction and she looked away noticing that I caught her watching. I went back to drawing and she stopped me saying, "You're a talented artist."

I smiled at the peculiar business woman, shaking my head. "I'm not so sure about that."

"You should be." she stated, reassuring me with her smile. Her eyes were still intrigued as she looked at my drawing before asking, "Who's that?"

I glanced down at the paper then back at her, my face contorted with uncertainty. "I don't know." I laughed momentarily and stated, "It's strange but I saw him in a dream."

"He's gorgeous." She smiled at me, making light of the creases on her dainty face. "And I don't think it is the slightest bit strange."

I looked at her confused.

"If there is one thing I've learned in life, it's that things happen for a reason and that those things are never coincidental. Seeing him might be a sign of some sort." she looked at me, giving me a sincere smile before looking at the door as the train called for a stop.

"It was nice talking to you." she sighed, smiling again.

"You too."

She stood up, walking away until she looked back at me and asked. "His eyes,"

"What?"

"What color are they?"

I only smiled at her and shrugged. She nodded with understanding before walking out the door. The train started again and the doors shut, making me look back at my drawing again.

"I wish I knew though..." I whispered to myself before closing my sketchbook.

I leaned towards the window and sighed. It's finally summer and I'm on a train heading for Arxean. It's where I live. It's a beautiful little town in the Carrollian County just in the outskirts of the Kingdom of Avenir. I really miss my home so I'm visiting it before I leave to start my job in the Kingdom.

It's been four years since I last saw my home. Studying at the university and graduating with a degree all from a scholarship took its toll on my time so I never had the time to visit. I don't want to waste any of my time so I'm spending every moment I can in my homeland. I can't wait to see my family. I've sent them letters as often as I could and I've kept each of their replies preciously by my side.

The University was a rough adjustment for me; new place, new subjects, new teachers, and new people. It was really difficult for an eighteen year old girl at that time because I lived in the country and I was sent to the city for a better school. My parents wanted a better opportunity in my education, I guess, but I know they just want what they thought was best for me.

You see, everything was rough during this lifetime. The "old" world, as we now called it, had been replaced by the new rule. Everything changed because of the great international struggle and economical downfall that happened more than a hundred decades ago. History has been written anew. Everything from the Medieval wars, American revolution to World War 2 was nothing compared to what had transcended, at least that's what I was told in school. Many countries had fallen to ruin and became desolate because it could no longer provide a place for people to survive in. The remaining presidents and officials of the surviving countries that could still uphold a secure support for the people made a new system. They combined their remaining resources and made a new country in a system of a modernized rule and heirarchy.

Social, economic and government systems were changed for as much of the world's history to be preserved. Order and new laws were put to immediate effect. Places were in category and order like people.

The High Council, the group of the highest officials in the international goverment, had categorized remaining world countries into modernized Kingdoms, each with their futuristic cities and historical towns. These have their own functions and contribution to the Kingdom they belong in. An example would be the Kingdom my town belongs to: the Kingdom of Avenir which stands as the Kingdom of Agriculture and Harvest. Each Kingdom also represents a jewel of high importance which serves as a symbol that identifies us and unites us with other Kingdoms in the New World. These Kingdoms contribute and report to the Central Citadel, which is the capital of the world and home to the High Council. It is the center of all and the only way to reach other Kingdoms.

The Central Citadel, every Kingdom, as well as the cities and towns in them is incased in a forty story thick solid wall except the parts where land meets the sea. It's not as bad as you think because they made this so in order for rebels and other outside dangers to never breach our new stronghold and fortress.

Now, being back in my hometown, shows how much of the scenery and situation changes compared to the city. Everything's pretty the same from before or in what's written in history. There is technology and other "normal things" that they had before in the past but it has drastically changed in a good different way. That's what war and hundreds of decades that had passed does.

I was looking out the window, reminiscing the last time I was ever home: the trees, the mountains, the breeze, the flowers, the lake – everything. Just trying to remember home led my eyes feeling heavy and before I realized it, I had slept throughout the whole trip.

I got out the train and went outside the station. The early morning mist enveloped every corner of the town. I made my way through then rode a cab until it reached a small trail just a bit further from the town. I walked along the trail covered by trees and stopped upon arriving in front of a small brick cottage. I made my way to the door and knocked but before I could finish knocking someone suddenly opened the door with such force and hugged me to the point that I almost fell. She bursts into tears upon finding her voice to saying "Evelyn, you're finally home."

 "Mom, stop crying okay? You said that you won't cry when I get here." I reprimanded while wiping away her tears.

"Forgive your mother sprout. She's very emotional when she found out you're finally coming back home." he said huskily but in a gentle way.

 "Dad, I'm not a plant okay? Did you even miss me?" I asked humorously.

"Of course I missed you! You're my little girl." he smiled while hugging both me and my mother at our doorstep.

We all went inside the house. The place was still the same as I'd remember it, although there was new stuff too but our small fireplace, my mother's old piano by the window with a cracked glass, the small couch, the broken lamp on the side table, the smell of stew from the kitchen, the wall bookshelf, the newly washed curtains, the shaggy carpet, the brick walls and wooden floor was still the same. 'Yes,' I said to myself 'I'm home.'

"Evelyn, go upstairs and change for dinner okay honey?" my mother reminded.

"We'll wait for you downstairs sprout." my dad said assuring me.

I climbed upstairs to my room. Since our house was small, my room was the attic. It was well kept by my parents like they were always taking care of it ever since I had left. I loved my room. It had a great view of the town and our backyard. I jumped into bed and sighed, relieved to be sleeping on its comfort again. I sat back up and took a good look around my room. I missed this. I rolled on my bed, just enjoying its soft, comforting mattress and covers.

"Evelyn! Dinner's ready!" my Mom shouted from downstairs startling me and I realize that I haven't changed yet. So I hurriedly opened up my closet and took out a sleeveless white linen dress which I wear usually for a special occassion. I tied my hair into a ponytail, brushed my bangs, and took a quick look in the mirror thinking, 'This will do'. I ran downstairs and sat on my chair at the dinner table.

"Going somewhere after dinner sprout?" Dad curiously asked upon seeing my chosen attire for dinner.

"Umm...Yes," I replied, "I wanted to go and check out my special place. Can I? "

"But you just got here." mom reminded me.

"I know but..."

"Honey, our daughter just came back home and she's an adult now so I think it would be best if you let her make her own decisions and besides, she probably prefers wandering around here than  in the city, right sprout?" my dad winked at me and smiled.

"Mom, please? I'll even take Orion with me. It will be very quick, I promise." I said pleadingly. Both my dad and I were silently staring at my mom waiting for her response.

"Fine, I can't disagree with your dad. You can go dear but finish your food first." my Mom conditionally sighed saying her approval.

I started eating a spoonful of mashed potatoes and stew. 'Delicious!' "Mmm...Mom, you make the meanest stew ever." I said talking with my mouth full.

My Dad quickly supported my praise chuckling and said "That's why I married her."

My Mom genuinely smiled, shaking her head at my father's joke and we continued eating her delicious stew.

 ~

Dinner was over and I head out back passing our backyard.  'Seems like mom planted new flowers'. I picked one and I turned around and headed towards our small stable. I opened the door and was greeted with the sounds of hooves.

"Hey boy, did you miss me?" I held his reigns and gently stroked his neck. My horse, Orion, calmed down to my touch. I quickly secured the saddle and rode him into the night.

We galloped from our house going into the woods. It's cold; It was a typical cold summer night. I shivered so I slowed down and pulled my coat closer to cover me. 'I never should have worn a dress outside. Well, it's too late to change clothes now.'

We made our way past the trees, a little meadow and a wide clearing. We went further and finally reached my tree. My tree was a solitary big old Oak tree at the middle of the forest. It was tall, towering the other oak trees around it and its thick, long branches looked like it was reaching up towards the sky and some were caressing the ground. It was very different from the other oak trees but for me it was the most beautiful among them all.

I remember that I found this place when I was eight. I was chasing this butterfly from the backyard and it led me here. Imagine an eight year old running and chasing a butterfly so far from home. It was wonderful at first but then the sun sets and I didn't know the way back. I was scared so I hugged myself and sat under the oak tree crying, yearning that my parents would find me and they did. Months after that incident, it simply became my place – to think, to rest, to play, to explore, and to dream. My parents accompanied me there until I learned the route back home and from then I've been going there alone. This place....this tree brings back so many memories.

I tied Orion's reigns to a nearby branch and I then sat down under my tree. It has grown since I last visited. I looked up and admired its glow under the moonlight. Its grandeur and beauty only brings me closer to home. I sighed looking down at my twitching fingers. After summer break, I'm leaving again. It's really painful to go especially with my heart so close to home. This is different from the city. The city is beautiful especially when its lights go on at night and its light glows upon the sea every time the sun rises and sets by your window, you can hear cars and people on the road, and you can smell fresh baked bread and experience at fancy restaurants or fast food diners but it was not as comforting as home.

I started climbing from one branch to another until I felt I was high enough to see the clearing's view. I closed my eyes, leaning my head at its trunk, feeling the cold breeze against my face. This is different but I love it because it makes me feel at ease. It makes me feel happy. It makes me feel more...... Me.

My reverie was interrupted by a rustling sound. My eyes darted open and I turned my head looking around for what disturbed me. Orion was whinnying and stomping. 'That's strange...' There was nothing and I relaxed. I closed my eyes again and sighed. 'I really should calm down. I don't need to stress myself; I mean I just got here!'

"Probably just some squirrels." I said calming myself.

"No, it was me." a cool deep voice corrected me. I opened my eyes once again and when I looked down, I found him intently staring at me with his soft eyes. Despite the looming shadows of the night, they shined and I felt a faint whisper pass my lips. "Blue."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

100K 5.5K 37
"D-Daniel, your name is Daniel." I said and stopped on the road. He didn't look at me and I take a couple of steps, leaning up against a tree. He st...
1.8K 43 38
Evelyn Rivers was your everyday average high school girl. Or so she thought. An accident attracts the attention of a family of daemons at her school...
3M 22K 38
It was a life she never dreamed, a love she never expected, and a tragedy she never knew existed. Faye Summers is sassy and childish, not to mention...
173 7 28
Ever since Sarah Weller was five years old, she has been haunted by a cloud of thick black smoke. It lived. It moved. And from its center, two glowin...