SPLITAPARTS: lessons in love...

Von VeroniqueLeNoir

What happens when a young rebellious wizard meets his soul's twin flame? Although they had danced together ma... Mehr

Prologue
Memories...
Memories - Part Two
Lucky Star
Lucky Star - Part Two
Discoveries
Discoveries - Part Two
Discoveries - Part Three
Daddy Dearest
Playing Nicely
All I Want To Be Is By Your Side
The Night Off
Birthday Surprises - Part One
Birthday Surprises Part Two
Birthday Surprises Part Three
Guess Who's Coming to Dinner - Part One
Guess Who's Coming to Dinner - Part Two
Guess Who's Coming to Dinner - Part Three
Inside the Mind of Remus Lupin
Dreamboat Annie - Part Two
Dreamboat Annie - Part Three
Dreamboat Annie - Part Four
Requiem for Annie
Godric's Hollow
Home on the Range
Endings and New Beginnings
Welcome Home, Harry
Perfect Imperfection
A Matter of Time
The Mourning After...
Weekend Fun
Marry Me
Dream a Little Dream of Me
The Boy Who Lived
Love, Loss and Ratfinks
Up, Up and Away
The Shrieking Shack
The Shrieking Shack - Part Two
The Shrieking Shack - Part Three
The Three Broomsticks
The Terrible Twosome
Busted
Christmas at Grimmauld Place
The Best Christmas Present Ever - Part 1
The Best Christmas Present Ever- Part Two
The Best Christmas Present Ever - Part Three
The Best Christmas Present Ever - Part Four
The Best Christmas Present Ever - Part Five
Prince's Hill
Sirius and the Piano
Admissions Please
One Lump or Two
The Hogshead Inn
Until Death Us Do Part? Nah...
Until Death Us Do Part? Nah - Part Two
Some Honeymoon
Righting the Wrongs
Beyond the Veil
Epilogue

Dreamboat Annie - Part One

227 11 1
Von VeroniqueLeNoir

Christmas Eve - 1979

The trip home was bittersweet for Cassie as she sat between her parents on the large plane. She would doze often and wake up when a loud noise such as a child crying, or the clatter of the metal drink cabinet as it passed by, occurred. Landing in Boston, they were ushered through customs and Cassie wondered how her ruck was going to make it through. Prior to their departure however, Ann had cast a silent spell to make most of the contents of the ruck oblivious to the X-ray machine and prying eyes. Unbeknownst to Cassie, Sirius had placed a very large stuffed black dog and had placed Padfoot's collar around the neck of the large cuddly toy, along with his leash. When she saw it, she asked the customs agent for the toy and hugged it tightly when he unceremoniously gave it to her. She inhaled deeply and could smell Sirius' scent. She wondered how he managed to put it in there when she wasn't looking.

The next leg of the trip landed them in Allentown and from there, they drove the ninety minutes home without incident. She learned that the bothers were staying at Elizabeth's house and they had no idea that their "Sissy" would be joining them. The plan was to have Cassie crawl into a large box and they would unwrap it Christmas Eve afternoon and she would pop out of the box, surprising them. It was her father's idea and Cassie thought it was brilliant. They ate a light supper of fast food take out and went to bed, all three exhausted but in good spirits.

Cassie woke up in her own bed and was happy to do so, but then she become conscious of the fact that she was missing Padfoot as she had been clutching the large stuffed dog in her sleep. She woke up fingering the soft leather of Padfoot's collar in one hand and clutching the toy tightly with the other.

Once she learned that Snuffles was actually Sirius in his animagus form, the ruse of James coming around to collect or drop off the dog ended abruptly. She realized that Sirius transformed into the dog when he was overly anxious and this often happened around bedtime. She didn't mind; the dog's thoughts and feelings were far more simple, nothing like the complex young man she was falling in love with...he was worried about everything under the sun and was prone to outbursts of fury at the drop of a hat. She also realized that the bond between them had grown stronger simply due to the extra time spent together as James and Lily's Best man and Maid of Honor. Remus had been included in the wedding party but did not nearly have the responsibilities that the splitaparts had.

She heard a knock at the door and Theo turned the doorknob and peeked in. "Awake, Missy?"

"Yeah, kind of."

He had entered the room and placed a hot cup of coffee on her nightstand while noticing that she had not unpacked as he sat on the edge of her bed. He nodded thoughtfully.

"I guess you slept on the flight okay then?"

"No, not really--the ocean," she said, wrinkling her nose. "I just dozed really. You were there, you ought to know."

"Oh yeah, well I was crashed almost the whole way," he said.

"Lucky you," she said and sneered, causing him to laugh.

"Your mom's downstairs making breakfast and she's starting a roast beast for tomorrow. She has it in her head that she wants to smoke it."

Cassie yawned. "I know you do that with pork, but with beef? Is it gonna be any good?"

Theo chuckled. "Well, if your mother has a say, I would think so. She's got both the smoker and the grill fired up."

Cassie nodded and yawned. She reached for her cup of coffee, but it was just beyond her reach and Theo handed it to her. "Thanks, Daddy."

"Missing Sirius?"

She looked down at the collar and moved to place it on my nightstand table. "Yeah, I guess so, but I miss Remus too. And Lily. And James."

"And your grandfather? Don't you miss your grandfather?"

"Oh yeah, of course I do."

"I gotta tell you kiddo—I'm not too keen on this whole splitapart thing—I think you're way too young to be having babies and all that. You have a brilliant future a head of you and now you're gonna have kids getting in the way."

"We get in the way?"

Theo closed his eyes and lowered his head. "I didn't mean it like that," he said quietly and sighed. "It's just that—"

"Don't worry, I know what you meant."

"Do you?" His eyes met with hers and he took her hand.

She was not up for a deep conversation about her sex life, especially since it had yet to begin. "Yeah. Don't sweat the small stuff. So are you gonna pick up the bothers today?"

"Yeah. I'm going to head out to the outlets and do some quick shopping. Do you want to come along?"

"Nah. I'll hang around here and help mom with the dinner stuff. I saw her pulling stuff out of the freezer last night. Looks like she's cooking most of it."

"Yeah, certainly seems like it, huh" he said. "Well you get dressed and I'll see you downstairs. I haven't fed Prince yet—thought I'd let you do that. He misses you something fierce."

"Oh? How do you know?"

"He's been rather depressed since you've been gone. Arabians get like that when their favorite person is away for too long you know. He's lost a little bit of weight too, so don't skin me. He simply didn't want to eat much."

"I was worried about that. But you guys didn't say anything so I thought he'd be okay."

"You had enough to deal with," he said.

She shrugged her shoulders. "I guess?"

Theo looked at her alarm clock--a black and white cat that meowed when the alarm went of. He thought it was obnoxious, but Cassie thought it was hilarious. "Damn, I gotta get a move on. I'll see ya later on today honey, okay?" Theo kissed his daughter on top of her head and left Cassie to get herself ready for the day. He went downstairs and kissed his wife goodbye then left for the outlets in Reading.

Cassie walked downstairs, coffee in hand and set the cup on the table and hugged her mother from behind and felt her rounded belly. She leaned her cheek on Ann's shoulder. "How long again?"

"In about eight weeks."

"Oh yay. An Aquarian."

"Someone to argue with," Ann joked.

"Yippie. A punky anarchist."

"Oh stop it," Ann said as she turned to face her daughter and Cassie noticed that she had Cassie's charm around her neck.

"Gods, you really wear that thing?"

"Of course I do, why would you think that I wouldn't? You wear Remus' don't you?"

She shrugged her shoulders. "Yeah, but that's different. His actually serves a purpose. The one I made is just—fluff. Anyway, it would just remind me of that day is all."

"Well, we shouldn't let fifteen minutes of rubbish ruin what was otherwise an amazing day. And it was an amazing day."

Cassie smiled. "Yeah, it kinda was," she replied warmly

"He fancies you, you know? Actually, it's a bit more than that," Ann said.

"Who, Remus?"

"You know very well who I mean—And I don't think it's due to the recognition. We had a little chat he and I, before we left you know."

Cassie took a step back. "No, I didn't know."

Ann nodded her head and turned back to unwrapping the ham. "Said he never saw you coming. He just sort of turned around one day and bam, there you were."

"I always liked to be the bunny," Cassie said giggling.

"I know," Ann said and was surprised to find herself also giggling.

"Hey Mom?"

"Yes, Darling?"

"Did you know they were Wizard? You know, before you sent me to London?"

"I strongly suspected, yes."

"How did you know?"

"The first real inkling was the Tarot that Remus had made for you. It's not just a hand-crafted tool and you know how I feel about hand-crafted magical objects?"

Cassie nodded. "Yes."

"And?"

"The objects are infused with the energies of the creator."

"Yes, that's right. Those cards of yours are packed and in this case, it's a good thing and the fact that they're visually stunning is definitely a plus. Every time I see them, I see something different. Does that happen with you?"

"Not as much as it used to. Used to happen all the time though. So, just how much food are you making anyway?"

"I'm in charge of preparing the meats."

"Oh—nothing else?"

"Nope. Just the ham, roast beast and the turkey. We've a lot of people to feed."

"Is Grandpa coming?"

"No. Dad has elected to stay home. He was going to come, but he told Mother that word got out that you were leaving and that they were expecting some kind of incident and since things seemed to be starting to heat up, if word got out that he had left as well, then all hell might break loose. Would have loved to have seen and spend some time with him though--I miss my Dad--but his priorities are stretched beyond belief."

"I'm pretty sure they won't mess with him though," Cassie said.

"Who Dad? They'd be completely nutters if they did."

"I meant Sirius. They won't mess with him. He can't have his amazing magical baby wizard army without him."

"Well, there are ways to save Sirius'--"

Cassie's hand covered Ann's mouth. "SHHH! Don't even THINK IT!"

Ann nodded and pulled Cassie's hand away. "You're right, of course. I really do know better."

Cassie nodded. "Mom, do we have wards on the house?"

"Of course. Do you think we need to strengthen them?"

"Couldn't hurt any."

"I suppose I could get some done, but it'll have to wait until after the hols—I am simply swamped with activities. In fact, your dad has a party later on tonight for work, so there's that—"

"Oh Christmas Eve? You've got to be putting me on!"

"Not at all. That's why I'm doing all of this now, actually."

"Guess I'm babysitting then?"

"I think he was hoping that you three would attend the festivities as well. But it's up to you."

"I don't have a thing to wear."

"Honey, we're witches—we ALWAYS have SOMETHING to wear!"

Cassie giggled. "I gotta go feed the critters. I'll be back in a little bit to help, okay?"

"Alright Darling. Why don't you grab a few carrots for Prince?"

"Right then," She smiled. "I reckon he'd rather like that."

"You know what? Why don't you just go for a ride while you're at it—it's been a while you know? Just take the day and go wander. I'm almost done here anyway. Just got to get the meats into the smokers. Just go—reflect a bit. I know you have a lot on your mind. I'm all right here."

Ann winked at her daughter and noticed that Cassie had picked up a little bit of a Londoner's accent and had been using a great deal of British slang, no doubt from having been in Sirius' company for months on end. She smiled and wondered how long it would take for it to go away.

Cassie walked outside into the cold morning air. The breeze picked up as soon as she stepped away from the house and she looked up at the gray sky and stuck out her tongue, and then she chuckled. If Sirius had been there, he'd chase away the gloomy clouds and make the outside temperature about seventy-five degrees if she asked him to, and the thought made her smile. She looked to the bushes where she had a heated cinder block over a man-made hole and walked over to it.

"Cobra, are you still alive in there, yet?"

The snake poked his head out and flicked his tongue. COLD! TOO COLD!

"Glad to see you, old friend. You're plenty warm though, yes?"

It's for certain.

"And you have enough to eat?"

I do, thank you. Cobra is plenty full.

"Good and you're welcome."

Cassie?

"Yes?"

It is good to see you. You were greatly missed.

"Aww, thank you Cobra! I missed you as well--See you in the spring." She tenderly scratched the old snake on the head and under his chin. "Have a nice winter's sleep, old friend."

The old snake slithered slowly back into his shelter in the ground and she continued on toward the barn wondering if he would survive another winter; he was already way past the average lifespan of a common garden snake. She opened the door and stepped inside, closed her eyes and inhaled deeply. She missed the barn smells. Prince turned around in his stall and neighed loudly when he saw her and poked his head over the wooden half-wall. I'm here!

"Hello my love," she said tenderly as she reached up and rubbed his ears.

The horse put his head down and she touched her cheek to his velvety muzzle and felt a tear slide down her cheek. Prince nickered.

"I'm sorry I was away for so long. I really am. So much has happened."

She left him momentarily and brought out a bucket with his feed in it and poured it into his feeding bucket and placed the carrots in there as well.

Apple

"Next time. How 'bout tonight, hmm?"

Prince nodded his head and she smiled.

She left again and refilled the feed bucket and returned it to the bin and grabbed two flakes of hay and placed it in the canvas feeder on the wall. She checked his water and topped it off then wandered into the tack room. She had expected to find hay dust on the saddles and bridles, but everything was pristine: her mother knew she'd want to take him out and she smiled.

She grabbed the Hackamore bridle and held it up and grinned when she saw Prince lift his head and perk his ears forward. "Wanna go for a run?"

RUN!!

"I thought so. Finish up your breakfast, and then we'll take a gander. How's that?"

Walk first. Then RUN!

"Yes. Like the wind," she whispered as she rubbed his forehead beneath his forelock.

While Prince ate, she busied herself assembling the saddle and blanket that she wanted to use and brought the mounting block out into the paddock. When he finished, she returned to her horse and entered the stall, the saddle slung over her shoulder and the bridle in her hand. It took her no time at all to outfit Prince and frowned when she felt his ribs under a very thin layer of fat. She figured that she'd have to up his caloric intake to get some weight back on him. She led him from his stall into the paddock and stepped up on the mounting block and watched his eyes and ears. He was alert and excited and she knew that the second she seated herself in the saddle, she'd better hang on tightly. Prince didn't disappoint; he reared up and whinnied and pranced around the large paddock and she let him have his way; she laughed joyously when he kicked up his hooves. It didn't take long for him to settle down though and she laid the reins on the side of his neck and applied the tiniest bit of pressure with her legs and he walked calmly toward the gate that led to the yard. Just as she reached for the gate latch, he hoofed at the ground and shook his head: he wanted to jump it.

"Ok, if you insist," she said. "But let's move back a bit first." She turned him around and headed for the other side of the paddock, unaware that she was being watched. Ann was standing just outside the back door and chuckled when she saw her daughter hunker down and the horse take off like a shot, his black tail flagging. They reappeared on the other side of the fence, flying up the path that lead up toward the house when she caught sight of her mother; she had the telephone in her hand and waved it in the air; the cord was so stretched out that she thought it would break.

"Hi," she said.

"You've a phone call. He's been rather patient, which isn't easy for him you know." She reached up and handed the phone to her daughter.

"Thanks." Cassie turned Prince around and headed out of earshot. She backed him up when the phone almost fell from her hand from having been stretched so far from the house. "Hey good morning," she said, smiling."

"Afternoon," Sirius said. "And Happy Christmas Eve."

"Right back to ya."

"What are you doing today?"

"Right now, I'm on my horse."

"Ah yes, Prince," he said. "How is he?"

"A little thin in the skin. He was about to give up on my ever returning, poor thing."

"Oh, that's awful. Horses do that?"

"Arabs do when they're brokenhearted."

"Perhaps you should bring him over when you return next year—erm—you are returning next year, aren't you?"

"Yes, I'll be there. I'm not playing with the symphony next year though. I think I'll be too busy."

"Too busy, doing what?"

"Well, if you have you way, getting pregnant."

Sirius laughed a deep-thoated barky-laugh. "I think we've plenty time for that. At least I hope so."

"Well, there's the band as well. The guys said they want me to join the band as their percussionist."

"I know, they told me this morning, actually. Came to the Ministry to tell me personally."

"They're good, Sirius."

"I know they are. So are you."

"Thank you."

"You're welcome."

"So, what are you doing now with all your new-found freedom?"

"Nothing. I'm rather bored at the moment. It's quiet here--there is absolutely nothing going on. Moody has me running errands and cleaning of all things. There is a party tonight and you'll never guess who's the piano player?"

"Ooooh. At least you'll be able to play some jazzy Christmas tunes?"

"Yeah." There was an uncomfortable moment of silence. "Said he didn't want to put me back in the field just yet."

"How come?"

"He wouldn't say, exactly--just that it was a feeling. He's learned to trust his gut. Guess I ought to as well?"

"Well, that's a load of BS if I've ever heard—"

"It is what it is, Dee."

"I'm sorry."

"For what?"

"I just feel like it's my fault."

"It's no one's fault. Look, we've learned a great deal in the months that you were here. It's been invaluable to our cause. You were great company AND, we've learned that he's raising an army—the Order is scrambling around attempting to do the same--that's where Remus has been. Dumbledore told me last night that he wants to send me to France to speak to the mages there. There's some ancient Templar's place or something there—"

"France, oooh la la—Sounds like La Rochelle."

"It is, exactly. You know it?"

"We vacationed there a few years ago. Nice place—very old and very magicky."

"Cool," he replied.

"You'll like it and I hope you get to sight see while you're there. It's beautiful"

"It's a work-trip. Not much time for fun, sadly."

"Well, that's a bummer. Oh! Thank you for the stuffed doggie--he looks just like Padfoot."

"You're welcome, Dee. I was hoping you'd like it. Wasn't easy sneaking it into your ruck you know."

"I think I slept hugging it all night."

"You did?"

She chuckled, "Yeah, I did--makes a right nice pillow."

Sirius barked a laugh.

"Hey, how is everyone?"

Sirius chuckled. "Dee, you know very well how they are, you've only just left England yesterday."

"Feels like forever."

"Yeah, it does, doesn't it," he said quietly. "I miss you already."

"You do?"

"Yeah. What did you expect? That I'd go running out and shag the first girl I saw?"

"Well no, but—"

He chuckled. "Actually, I thought about looking to buy a house in the country. Been thinking about it for a while."

"But I thought that you already have a house!"

"There's no place for Prince," he said quietly.

"Sounds expensive Sirius."

"Yeah, well—monthly payments would have to be met, but Arthur Weasley's was looking at my finances this morning and it turns out that I'm loaded."

"Who's Arthur Weaslebee?"

Sirius laughed. "Weasley. He's in the Order. I don't think you got to meet him. He's got five kids and his wife is preggers with their sixth. I figured that if anyone knew how to budget for a family, he'd be the one."

"Great gods! SIX KIDS!"

"Yeah, I know!"

"At least you're being smart about it. I wouldn't even know how to go about it."

"I didn't either a year ago. When my uncle passed, he bequeathed all of his wealth to me, which was quite substantial and it got me the house in Godric's Hollow--you know, I only lived there for about six months. I'm thinking of selling it. Anyway, the rest of the money been sitting collecting interest. Then the five months you were here got me quite a bit more well off. Told you it was a good gig. I can afford something quite substantial if we want."

"Godric's Hollow--Grandpa grew up there."

"Yes he did--its mostly a muggle village, but wizards live there too. It's quite nice actually--very quaint. Great place for us to raise a family.

"Hang on, Wait! Did you just say, us? As in we? You and me?" Cassie smiled and felt the butterflies in the pit of her stomach turn into pterodactyls. "You want me to come live with you?"

"Well, that's usually what parents do, isn't it? You think I'm just gonna get you preggers and turn you loose? Not a chance in hell of that. Unless you didn't want to?"

"Yeah, I guess so."

"You don't want to," he asked, she could hear the worry in his voice.

"I didn't say that--I just didn't expect you to want to settle down, being the big, bad bike-ridin', guitar playin', fire whiskey drinkin' rebel and all," she said. "I heard you telling Remus once that, under no circumstances were you gonna let yourself get all tangled up with some birdie--"

He laughed. "Well I supposed you've actually managed to tame this ol' pooch. Congratulations," he said; she could hear the smile in his voice. "Look babe, this call is going to end up costing me my nest egg if I don't get off this thing. I only wanted to hear your voice and make sure you were all right."

"I'm okay and—"

"Yeah?"

"I miss you too. I almost can't stand it. I actually miss your ol' grumpy-butt-self."

"Glad to hear it," he whispered. "It's the same for me."

She could hear him sigh with relief. "Well, let me let ya go so you still have enough money to buy me that house in the country."

He chuckled. "Right then. Tell your family happy Christmas from me and erm, I'll be ringing you up again soon enough, I expect."

"Okay, Furface."

Sirius chuckled again into the receiver and then was quiet for a moment. "I love you, Dee—" he said finally.

"Love you too, Sirius, bye."

She heard the call disconnect and held the receiver in her lap for a moment and then heard the recording of the operator reminding her to hang up the phone as she stared ahead toward the tree line on the hill before her as if searching for the future over the horizon. She saw her mother approach her out of the corner of her eye and turned her head to look at her. Her mother was smiling and her eyes were glassy with tears.

"He said he loves me, Mom."

"He does, Darling. He does and I expect that you love him too."

Cassie nodded. "I didn't know it till now. Isn't that stupid?"

"No, not at all. Time and distance makes us realize what is important to us."

Cassie nodded her head.

"What about Remus?

"You can love both of them, you know. No one will hold it against you."

Cassie shook her head. "I don't think so," she said quietly.

"So, why don't you hand me the phone and you go have a nice ride. Prince has been very patient. He's waited a very long time to take off like a bat out of hell." She grinned.

"Yeah. You know, he's not antsy at all. I'm kind of surprised really. He feels kind of laid-back, but tense at the same time actually, like he's on alert or something. Reminds me of a duck on the water."

"What do you mean?"

"You know, calm on the surface of the water, but paddling like hell beneath."

"Ah. Well you be careful. Try to be back by three or so, so you can help me get the bothers present settled up. They don't know you're home. I figure that your father will be home around four."

"Oh, this is gonna be good!"

Ann nodded her head and grinned. "Where do you think you'll be going?"

She pointed. "Just up in the field. He's sees our pasture all the time, I suppose?"

"Well then, go on and have fun!"

"I will, see ya later!"

"I love you, Darling—"

"Love you more—"

Ann watched the horse whisk her daughter away toward the tree line on the hill. "Of that, I've no doubt, my precious," she said to herself.

Cassie slowed Prince down on the macadam lane and joyfully listened to the clip clop of his hooves as they hit the pavement, it was almost like a lullaby to her. She then remembered that he wasn't shod and inched him toward the grass and headed down the driveway toward their street.

She stopped him at the end of the driveway and looked in both directions before crossing. She could hear the sound of a motor that was coming up on her fast. She watched the curve about a quarter mile down the road to see a red sports car approaching fast. As it raced past her, the driver honked the horn. She waved and rolled her eyes, thankful that Prince was bombproof, even if he was a bit hot. She walked him across the street and he easily jumped the wide ditch and took her into the large open field. She hunkered down and he took off like a bullet.

She relished the wind in her hair, even if the cool air stung her eyes, making them water. The feel of the horse beneath her was fluidic; there was no bouncing around on this animal; his stride was long and even. The horse was happy to be out running someplace that wasn't home...and he so missed his favorite human. She released the reins, closed her eyes, held out her arms and pretended that she was flying.

About an hour into the ride, Cassie's eyesight went dark momentarily and had a vision of her father Tom arguing with her mother in her kitchen and it felt so real that she turned Prince toward home. The animal sensed her fear and moved across the open ground as fast as he could, his hooves thundering beneath them on the macadam driveway.

When she came upon the house, she saw a large unfamiliar car parked next to the house as well as a familiar looking death eater that had always seemed to have it out for Sirius, standing next to it. He withdrew his wand as she pointed her finger toward him and held out her hand, disarming him as she caught his wand. She snapped it in half and thought that the shocked look on his face was priceless. Even though Prince was still at a full gallop, she swung her leg out of the stirrup and jumped off, thankful that her dad had taught her how to fall and more importantly, land without getting hurt. She hunkered down and thought of the bunny...

"Hey! Where did she go!"

She then thought of the Mountain Lion and sprang up toward the car, stood up and pointed her finger again at the man she had disarmed and noticed that he wasn't alone and swept her hand in the air. "STAY," she yelled at the top of her voice and the men were frozen motionless where they stood. She didn't notice that there was still someone in the car.

She ran up to the house with the speed of the Coyote and opened up the front door and walked into the house quiet as a mouse as she skirted the wall. She yelled out to her mother, letting her know that she was home. Ann would have understood that her daughter was aware that something was amiss, simply because she walked in through the front door instead of the backdoor like normal.

Stay away, Cassiopeia, she thought repeatedly, praying silently that her daughter would think to use her Legilimency. She was brandishing her wand and Cassie heard the glass pitcher which contained the orange juice that had been on the counter next to her, shatter.

Cassie peeked around the corner to find Tom standing at one end of the kitchen in full Wizard-regalia pointing his wand toward Ann. She pointed her finger toward him and saw him slowly blink his eyes and turn his head toward her.

"Did you really think that it was going to work on me, little girl?" he said mockingly. "I saw you coming and I know what you've done to my men. Very nice work, by the way. So, you're a Nahual? I'm impressed, truly. But let me ask you this? What do you think would have happened if you were a normal witch and not my daughter? Do you honestly believe that you would have been allowed to pass?"

Cassie realized instantly what he was trying to clue her in on...she was allowed through. Cassie's shoulders fell and she lowered her head and shook it once.

"Good. At the very least you've no delusions of grandeur--you're far from omnipotent, my dear."

"Stay put, Darling," he mother warned.

"Why are you here," Cassie demanded.

"Such bravery! If I didn't know better, I'd think Sirius's in your head right now--"

"He's never far away," she admitted. "Just like you're always on the outskirts of Mom's mind--"

"Cheeky as well--yes, I think you've been around Sirius too long," he chuckled. "Suffice it to say, I am here to collect you my dear and take you home," Tom said smiling, as he casually pointed his wand toward her.

"This is my home and I'm not going anywhere with you!"

"Oh, I beg to differ," he whispered. "Well, we can do this amicably, or not. It's up to you two, really." He was carelessly brandishing his wand between the two of them, sparks and black ominous ribbons flying for effect. She wondered if they were flying for effect or if they were to serve a more ominous purpose. He grinned at her and nodded to her as if he had heard her thoughts and one of the ribbons grabbed her wrist and she melted it off as if it were butter.

Ann motioned for Cassie to join her and Cassie disapparated and appeared by her mother's side. Ann pushed Cassie behind her.

"Merlin's beard, but you are a talented little thing, aren't you?"

"That she is, Tom. You should go now. She will not be returning to England with you."

"Actually, we won't be traveling to England. I do hope you like France—that's where we'll be heading. I understand it's quite lovely this time of year? Especially the bay."

"La Rochelle," Cassie said with dread in her voice.

"That's right, my dear and Sirius will be there as well in a few day's time. Convenient, don't you think?"

"Oh dear gods," she whispered. "You've a man on the inside."

"Several actually." He waved his hand before her eyes. "But you don't know about that, do you?"

"Know about what?"

"Tom! A memory hex on your own child!"

Hearing her mother' voice brought Cassie back into the hear and now and she shook her head and rubbed at the tingling sensation at her forehead. "He won't go along with this."

"My goodness but your recovery time is certainly impressive. But suffice it to say he'll have no choice, Cassiopeia."

She shook her head and moved to stand beside Ann and pointed her finger at him. "NO! You leave him alone!"

He stood ridged for only a moment and shook off her spell quickly.

"You heard her, Tom. She said no," Ann whispered finally and pushed Cassie back with her shoulder.

"Well then, you leave me no choice. I will have my daughter Ann, you've had her long enough and have allowed your muggle husband to dictate her education, or rather, the lack of it! She's severely stunted and you've ALLOWED IT TO HAPPEN! She will return to Europe with me and I will begin her formal magical education immediately!"

"I'm not leaving with you!" Cassie stepped out from behind her mother to protest.

"I see. Is your decision final, Cassiopeia?"

"It is," Cassie said sternly.

"Well then my dear, as much as it pains me to even think this--because you see, if I can't have you, then neither can she and neither can your beloved Sirius—avra kadavra—"

"PROTEGO MAXIMA!" Ann pushed her daughter to the floor, which caused her to put herself in the line of fire of the spell as she pointed her wand toward her daughter.

Cassie saw a bluish green bolt of lightning produced by Tom's wand strike her mother square in her chest, in the very same spot where she had just been standing only a second before. As the spell hit her, it split off and in addition, hit Cassie as well. She heard her mother's last breath escape with the sound of her own name. "Cassiopeia—forgive." She watched, as her mother's lifeless body fell to the floor. She watched helplessly as the light faded from her mother's eyes.

There was no trauma. There was no blood. There was no sound except the pounding in her ears and the pain in her chest and back. She fell to her knees and cried out, picking up Ann's body and holding it tightly to her own. Then she heard Tom's cries of pain and looked up. He was on his hands and knees attempting to crawl over to her, greatly panic-stricken, until he finally lost consciousness. She looked up to see a shadowy figure that looked to be Sirius observing the events as they unfolded and it frightened her; the shadowy figure remained motionless and she cried out for help; its expression was one of bewilderment and finally, sheer panic. Cassie had scooted back as far as she could and finally hit the wall with a thud and she took her mother's wand in her hand and pointed toward a man who had just entered the kitchen. It was Lucius who had rushed into the kitchen. He held up his hands.

"I'll not harm you my lady, I've sworn to protect you, but I must make haste and move the Dark Lord away from here."

"Go," she wheezed. "Get him out of here! Tell that bastard that I look forward to the time when he takes his last breath! And that I'll be there to see it," she sobbed.

"I'm so very, very sorry—" Lucius said truthfully. "It wasn't supposed to happen like this." He took Tom into his arms and disapparated from the house.

Cassie heard the phone ring until the answering machine picked up the call; she found that she couldn't move. She heard Sirius frantic cries screaming through the machine. And finally just before she lost consciousness, she saw her Grandmother standing before her, her mouth gaping as she fell to her knees in shock and immediate grief as she reached out for them.

Weiterlesen

Das wird dir gefallen

60.2K 1.8K 28
Summary: Josephine Potter has lived her entire life in second place. She may be funny, but her older twin brother could always make people laugh. She...
444K 10.8K 53
(Re-editing) It's clear that Severus Snape has never been great friends with the chaotic group known as the marauders but when his twin sister must b...
3.4M 118K 65
[ EDITING] James Potter was a skilled and talented wizard, his name a renowned one amongst Hogwarts students. Many knew him because of...
1.3M 45.1K 78
In a universe where Voldemort never became powerful enough to terrify people for decades after the first Wizarding War, Peter didn't betray his frien...