Of Immortals and Men | COMPLE...

By _Sirius

A tragic love story, about a werewolf who lost everything and a girl with no place amongst the humans, set in... More

Introduction to My World of Immortals
Prologue The Black Night
Chapter 1 The Legend of the Wolf
Chapter 2 Unbound
Chapter 3 A Cry for Pride
Chapter 4 Escape
Chapter 5 Under the Night Sky
Chapter 6 Tragic Pasts
Chapter 7 The Stirring
Chapter 8 Alpha
Chapter 9 To Be Human
Chapter 10 Big Brother's Watching
Chapter 11 Remnants
Chapter 12 My Sanctuary
Chapter 14 The Queen's Capture; Dance of the Wild Melody part 2
Chapter 15 Checkmate; Dance of the Wild Melody Final
Chapter 16 Revelations
Chapter 17 Blackbirds
Chapter 18 The Rarest Thing in the World
Chapter 19 Redemption of the Emancipated
Chapter 20 Without You I Would Be Nothing
Chapter 21 In Between
Chapter 22 So Long...
Chapter 23 And It All Goes On
Chapter 24 Goodbye and Hello
Chapter 25 Conviviality
Chapter 26 What's My Age Again?
Chapter 27 Alone Together
Chapter 28 The Rising Tide
Chapter 29 Feel Alive
Chapter 30 Don't Let Her Go
Chapter 31 She Lives in a Fairy-tale; They were Goddesses part 1
Chapter 32 She Lost Herself; They were Goddesses part 2
Chapter 33 The Choices She Made; They were Goddesses part 3
Chapter 34 A Goddess's Resolve; They were Goddesses part 4
Chapter 35 Never Let Me Go; They were Goddesses Final
Chapter 36 Fade into Darkness
Chapter 37 A Clouded Mind
Chapter 38 That's How the Story Goes
Chapter 39 St. Peter's List
Chapter 40 Pain Demands to be Felt
Chapter 41 He's just a Student
Chapter 42 Lost Innocence
Chapter 43 The Pact and the Prejudiced
Chapter 44 By Your Side
Chapter 45 Love and War
Chapter 46 Decisions
Chapter 47 A Million Tears
Chapter 48 Hearts that Hurt
Chapter 49 Screams that Sound the Same
Chapter 50 Stay With Me
Chapter 51 Graduation
Chapter 52 Like a Paper Cut (part 1)
Chapter 53 Red Thread, Paper Cut (part 2)
Chapter 54 The Echo of Power
Chapter 55 They of the Storm; The Second Black Night part 1
Chapter 56 Immortals; The Second Black Night part 2
Chapter 57 The Burning of a Thousand Miles; The Second Black Night part 3
Chapter 58 Invincible; The Second Black Night part 4
Chapter 59 A Fire in a Lonely Town; The Second Black Night Final
Chapter 60 Resolve
Chapter 61 The New Divide
Epilogue Life's Like This

Chapter 13 A Game of Chess; Dance of the Wild Melody part 1

1K 29 9
By _Sirius

Chapter 13

A Game of Chess
          ~Dance of the Wild Melody Part 1~

“We walked on, carved out an era with brand new fangs.”

~SID~

          They walked cheerfully together, hands held firm within one another. It was daybreak and Olivia wished that last night had not ended. As Conan led her through the streets of the busy town of Oakhurst, she began to recall her visit to the town.

          Olivia had dropped by the school in order to surprise Conan as soon as they settled on meeting up together. Due to her visit, she had been able to meet a few interesting people.

          They stopped at a street light that glowed green, indicating the cars to advance. It was very early in the morning but that did not lighten the traffic. A few girls passed by Olivia and Conan, turning left instead of crossing the street as they chitchatted happily. Olivia watched them and could not help but smile, remembering the students of Falls Academy.

            The light changed to red and Conan brought her back to reality by crossing the street.

          “Um…Conan, something interesting happened yesterday morning, when I went to visit you at the school.” She started.

       “Oh yea, you wanted to talk about something,” he paused as if remembering a crime he committed. “I was just so happy to see you that I didn’t even give you a chance to say anything.” Smiling sheepishly at her, Conan apologized.

          “I met a few of the students. One was a girl…” Olivia trailed off as they walked, allowing her to relive the day before.

                                                      ~Flashback~

          The school’s front gates were bustling busy with students. The building was enormous and Olivia felt as if she had to arch her back just to see its peak. It was a Victorian edifice; beautiful acanthus columns adorned its structure as a large round tower with a conical roof stood impressively at its side.

         Olivia walked closer to the building, denoting each of its important architectural characteristics.

         “Arches, Stone entablatures with dentils under each, cornices on the roofs, bay windows and dormers, all exquisitely designed with stone masonry.” Her hand grazed the wall of the round tower.

          “You like architecture?” Olivia was taken aback by the unknown voice. She turned from the wall to address the girl that had spoken.

        She had short curly black hair that fell to her shoulders and it seemed to move with each gesture she made. Her light brown eyes gazed at her with a smile. “I’m sorry if I startled you. My name’s Melisse Thoreau, are you new here?”

          Olivia hesitated; she disliked meeting new people. “No, well maybe to the city but not to the school, I mean I am new here to the institution, but I don’t attend here.” She rambled as she found it hard to look at the girl out of embarrassment.

          Melisse chuckled. “You haven’t told me your name?”

          “It’s Olivia…” Olivia was about to leave the girl after saying that but Melisse interjected.

        “It’s nice to meet you, Olivia. I must say, you seem to be very knowledgeable.” Olivia felt her cheeks get hotter as she refused to look at Melisse.

          “I’m not that smart.”

          Melisse looked up at the tall school. “Of course you are! I didn’t even understand half of what mentioned before. End tables… and corn?” She joked, making Olivia ease up as she laughed.

      “It’s entablatures and cornices. They are essential characteristics of the Victorian style in architecture.” Olivia said, factually.

        “Wow, where did you learn all that?” Finding the courage to look at her, Olivia’s gaze shifted from the ground to Melisse’s face.

          “It’s really not hard. I just read a lot…” She said.

          Shock overcame Melisse as Olivia’s eyes came into view. “Oh wow, your eyes are so odd.”

          Olivia felt a pang of embarrassment, the familiar feeling washing over her again.

          “I’m sorry I should get going.” The memories of her life before Ezekias came rushing back to her in a wave of dread.

          “No! I’m sorry; I didn’t mean it like that. I just meant that their really rare and they add to your beauty.” Melisse stopped her tracks as she grabbed her wrist.

          “Look, maybe I should leave you alone, but hey, if you ever want to do something together give me call.” She took out a small piece of notebook paper as she jotted down her cell phone number. “I live on 44th street, away from the center of Oakhurst.” Melisse smiled to her as Olivia took the paper.

          “Why…?” The fact that Melisse was so nice to her, a total stranger, confused her. Why did this person insist so much on being her friend?

          “You seemed lonely, I know it’s not my place, but I just need a distraction. My friends seem to be living in another world.”  Melisse trailed off when someone called her.

          Olivia saw a young boy with black hair and glasses, shouting in their direction. “That’s my baby brother, I gotta go. Hope to hear from you!”

          Olivia just stood there unsure of what to do with the paper when someone surprised her.

          “That’s Terry the fairy’s sister. Master Conan wouldn’t want you anywhere near her ma’am.” In shock, she turned to face the person but saw no one. A blonde head of hair seemed to stick out in a crowd of students as it scurried off and away from her.

                                                ~End of Flashback~

         Conan listened to the story but failed to recognize the girl Olivia had mentioned. However, anxiety overcame him when he heard the mention of the blond haired boy.

          “So, who was that guy and how does he know you?” Olivia asked, curiously as they walked into the neighborhood that Anise was assigned to.

          ‘Master would kill me if Olivia found out about my orders.’ He thought in dread.

          “Uh, I really don’t know. I mean he could have been talking about another Conan.” He tried, knowing how weak his excuse sounded.

          Olivia’s pale eyes narrowed in anger. “Don’t lie to me Conan; why else would he have come up to me?”

          Conan sighed in defeat. “I can’t tell you, babe. I’m sorry but they are direct orders from Master Ezekias.” He said, hating himself for keeping the truth hidden.

          They both stopped before a small bench where Anise had been sitting quietly. She petted her enormous cat while watching the people passing by.

          “Ok…” It was the only thing Olivia could say and Conan could tell how she was disappointed.

          ‘Once again, Master comes between us, even when we’re off duty.’ He felt frustrated over how powerless he was.

          The two approached Anise in curiosity as to why they were beckoned.

      “Olivia…Master is not pleased that you left the manor.” Anise’s voice sounded dead and monotype. It was her usual tone and it adorned her lifeless pink eyes.

         Conan spoke for Olivia as he closed in on Anise. “You just love being his pet don’t you? He said that she had the rest of the day to do whatever, so lay off you lifeless bitch.”

         Anise did not show any sort of emotions. Her eyes just looked at Conan’s green angry orbs, his mouth clenched as he seethed with rage. Conan hated Olivia’s sisters, every last one of them, and it was because of this that he could not contain his rage.

        “Conan, stop harassing Anise! She’s only warning me not reprimanding.” Olivia intervened, putting herself in between them.

           Conan scoffed as he backed away.

          “Thank you for telling me, Anise. Is he mad?” Olivia asked in worry, making Conan scoff even harder.

          Anise watched the people as if a machine programmed to do so. “No, he actually wants you and Conan to stay here for the remainder of the day. Since the witch’s home did not hold what Master was looking for, I am still stationed here.”

          “Ok, well then I guess we can go back and visit that beautiful park; I wanted to see the pond.” Olivia said in joy to Conan as she disregarded any doubts she had on the order.

        Conan simply nodded at her response, but questioned since Olivia had not. “Why does he want us here?” He asked calmer now, figuring that more time with Olivia was a good thing, but wondering the motives behind it.

          “Operation Wild Melody takes place tonight.” Olivia and Conan became deadly stern.

          “So it starts…” Olivia said.

       Anise nodded. “Like a game of chess, we the pawns must take our places to crush the enemy.” Her voice was ominous, and her cat purred comfortably from her lap as she caressed its fur.

~~~~********~~~~~~~~********~~~~~~~~********~~~~~~~~********~~~~~~~~********~~~~~~~~******

          Exsavior had to make a quick getaway. After waking up, he realized that he had somehow turned back into his human form, naked and sprawled right next to Mia who was sound asleep. Luckily enough, he was able to flee before she saw him.

         Neither Isabel nor Lynn had returned and that made him wonder of their whereabouts. Exsavior stopped before the street that went down to Oakhurst, much like the first time when he had been freed. Stark naked, he reasoned with his worries as he came to the conclusion that Mia would notice him if he tried to search for Isabel. Even if he shifted again, with Mia around, Isabel’s identity would be exposed.

          Exsavior sighed and was about to morph into the wolf when a car stopped before him. The need to run overpowered him instantly.

          “Man, I’m glad I found you so easily.” He refrained from moving the moment he recognized the woman in the car.

          “Margery?” He said and she nodded.

          “Get in. We need to get you clothed now and take you back to Lily’s.”

          Exsavior hopped in the back seat; he did not want to sit completely naked right next to Margery, especially in her female form.

          “How did you know I was here?” He asked, curiously as she passed him another school uniform.

          Exsavior did not argue this time; he quickly dressed himself while the car started to make its way into the city.

          “Lily called me, worried, and I think you’re in for a surprise.” Margery explained.

          “You were on your way to find me?” He questioned rather redundantly.

          “Yea, I live in Upperside passed the Hillsides, way up there.” She said as she pointed a finger behind her. Exsavior followed it and noticed the road that continued up into the mountainous regions, passed the Wolf Bane Forest.

          “What surprise should I be prepared for?”

          “I’m not sure, but I think David is rather upset with you.” Margery stated as they blended in with the traffic, indicating their arrival in the city.

          Exsavior sighed. “Tell me something new…”

     Margery looked at him through the rearview mirror. “Exsavior, what is the nature of your relationship between Mia and Isabel?” The question held judgment, he could hear it in her voice and Exsavior did not care for it in the slightest.

         “Not that it’s any of your business, but Isabel and I are friends.” He avoided telling her about the Wiccan side.

        Margery stopped the car a few blocks away from the house. “And Mia…?” She turned and positioned herself to look at him.

          Exsavior felt uncomfortable under her scrutiny. “Mia is just a friend…” He tried, but he knew that he had failed miserably in concealing the truth.

          Margery smirked, nothing short of Logan’s grin. “You imprinted on her didn’t you?”

          The annoyance was starting to get to him. “What’s it to you?”

          Margery chuckled, “nothing really.” Her eyes then became stern as her laugh died. She stared at the house that harbored her two human friends. “Just be careful with humans, they are fragile beings.”

          Exsavior scoffed and stepped out of the car. “As if I didn’t know that,” he said, as he disliked being ordered or advised.

          “Are you not coming?”

         “It’s best that I get back home. It’s a Saturday so I have the day off and besides…” She paused. “If they see me with you, there will be too many unwanted questions, so our relationship is best left hidden.”

          Exsavior nodded as Margery turned the car back on. She watched how the young werewolf trotted over to the house, making her laugh to herself.

          ‘He’s such a child.’ She thought as she made a U-turn and took the road that led back to the Hillsides.

          The traffic seemed thick for a Saturday and Margery scowled every time she came to a red light. Her discomfiture became even more blatant when the air-conditioning of her car would not start. It caused her to sweat in frustration as she rolled down the windows with the press of a button. Cursing to herself, Margery’s bored stare wandered away from the motionless cars. The number of the seconds blinking in front of the road appeared like hours.

          “Who are you?” The presence startled her.

          She looked towards the window she had opened and saw a young tall man standing in the streets on her side of the car. Margery was confused by his odd behavior and it made her look around on instincts, as if searching for the reaction of any onlooker.

         Angrily, she turned back to him. He seemed so familiar but her mind pushed the weird notions. “What do you think you’re doing? In what universe is it normal to go up to a stranger in a car and ask them who they are?” She stared at his green eyes; his adorning scar made him look creepier to her.

          The street light finally flashed green and Margery scoffed at the kid as she put her attention back to the road.  However, she noticed something from the corner of her eyes. It was just a glimpse, but the brown head of hair and the dead eyes were something that she could never miss. Margery’s eyes widened as she unwillingly drove off. A dead-like girl had been staring at her, and this person Margery recognized. Looking back at them through the rearview mirror, Margery saw the strange boy move towards the sidewalk to stand alongside another girl, an unfamiliar young lady.

          Her eyes shifted away from them as her mind raced in worry.

          ‘Anise, what is she doing here?’ Margery was now on full alert.

~~~~********~~~~~~~~********~~~~~~~~********~~~~~~~~********~~~~~~~~********~~~~~~~~******

          There was something off-putting about boarding a vehicle with a bunch of strange people. Mia did not understand why it bothered her the way it did, since taking the bus was a regular normal action in a person’s everyday life. Nevertheless, it did not feel right to her.

        The night before, Lynn had not returned and this made Mia worry. She could only figure that something important had occurred.

          ‘Something big must have gone down last night for her to just leave me there.’ She thought in wonder.

       Her mind quickly ignored that small inkling as she approached an empty seat near the window. She sat, mulling over her current situation while looking at the text David had sent her.

          ‘Isa’s not home…she didn’t even call me. Exsavior didn’t come home either.’

          ‘Isabel, where are you, and what is Exsavior to you?’ The text message bothered Mia.

          She was very suspicious of Exsavior at this point, but how can she not be? He was causing a lot of tension between David and Isabel. Still, Mia knew she was really bothered by something else. She was jealous that maybe Exsavior cared for Isabel and not her. However, those thoughts of envying her best friend made her feel vile, and then her mind started to throb when she remembered the wolf.

          Mechanically, the bus came to a stop and picked up a passenger. Mia looked to see who was boarding but gave it little thought when she saw it was an old lady. It did not take long for the bus to start moving again, and Mia drifted off to her thoughts, while looking through the window.

          She had zoned out to such an extent that she had not realized when the old woman sat next to her, much less when she started to talk to her.

          “Boy trouble?” The shaky voice questioned.

          Mia was snapped out of her trance; she turned to stare at the old woman. Her eyes bared no emotions for the old timer, but Mia did feel curious as to how she had some notions of her thoughts.

          “Excuse me?”

          She cackled and snapped her neck to the side, making the bones collide with one another. The sound and gesture irked Mia.

          “You heard me, young lady. It seems you’re in deep thought. I can only assume someone as beautiful as you is probably wistfully dreaming about her prince charming.”

          Mia scowled at the nosey old woman. “I’m sorry, but even if I am, that is my business and mine alone.”

       The statement seemed to fluster her, as she snapped her neck to each side twice and grimaced. “So you are thinking of a young man.” She insisted.

          Her persistence about Mia daydreaming over a boy actually caused Exsavior to pop up in her head.

          “Like I said, it’s none of your concern.” And with that said, Mia just turned to continue facing the window.

          Cackling again, her laughter boomed throughout the bus. The old hag’s fits of hilarity seemed to never ease up, which made Mia look back in her direction in disarray. No one noticed the chortling hag.

          “You’re so stupid and shallow. It’s very obvious that all you can think about is that ridiculous street punk. Even with all the damage he’s caused your loved ones, you still can’t stop thinking about him.” Mia’s eyes widened in fear and shock; her assumptions were confirmed. The curmudgeon morphed into who she dreaded.

          “Sam…”

         “Who’d ya think it was?” He feigned a pause. “Oh wait, don’t tell me you thought it would be Exsavior.” He pronounced Exsavior’s name in a childish girly fashion as if to mock her. “Tsk Tsk Mia, this wistful selfish thinking of yours is one nasty looking quality.”

          He said the final part of his statement with a hint of joyous evil, as his head aberrantly grew in size, allowing his face to invade her personal space.

          Mia felt his hot breath all over her, making her cringe instinctively. The breath told her that he was closing in on her lips and her mind screamed. Then it abruptly stopped.

          In fear, she opened her eyes, but saw no one. The bus had stopped and some passengers were getting off. Realizing that this too was her stop, Mia lifted herself up and raced onto the sidewalk of her neighborhood. Her heart pounded, she needed her sister. Her home was only a few blocks down and as she speeded up the stairs, Sam remained absent.

          ‘Please be home, I can’t have Sam do this to me anymore.’ Mia was determined to talk about her ‘little friend.’

          The door flung open and she heard the voice of her sister, causing a wave of relief to wash over her.

          “Mia, your back, did the werewolf escape?” Lynn asked from the kitchen.

          Mia scowled. “I killed it. Did you not worry about me?” She walked into the room where Lynn was. Her sister was huddled over the counter observing a flask of a mystical blue liquid. The sight took her mind off of Sam. Did Lynn even care to know what happened to her last night?

          “I was worried…but I had some trouble of my own…” Lynn seemed distant. The flask was starting to annoy Mia.

          “Is that llyrium?” The question made Lynn look up and turn to her. For the first time that day, Mia saw the black circles under her sister’s eyes and her deathly pale white skin, making any traces of anger replaced with worry.

          “Lynn, oh my god, what happened?” She asked.

          Lynn smiled. “It’s fine. I’m fine. I just need to take my weekly dose of llyrium.”

          Mia eyed her tentatively. “Remember that you’re only supposed to take one dose each week.”

          Lynn waved at her dismissively. “I know, I know. This will be my dose of the week. I need my strength, something is about to go down.”

          Mia said nothing.

          “I can feel it. There seems to be some strong spirit energy coming from the outskirts of the city near Oaken-kami.” Her gaze went back to the llyrium as she eyed it.

          Mia decided to believe her sister as she remembered her own troubles. “Lynn…” She began. “I need to talk to you about Sam.”

          Immediately, Lynn stood up and took the flask as she wolfed down the dose of the odd liquid. The taste had a strong blandness to it and Lynn could feel the gooey substance trickle its way down her throat. It was not disgusting rather invigorating when it finally reached her stomach. She could not fathom the sensation of the warm liquid fueling her, but then again, the llyrium was a supernatural substance devised by the Covenant centuries back. It was what gave Lynn the abilities she had and allowed her to fight the immortals.

          In a refreshing manner, Lynn’s pale white skin colored right before Mia’s eyes. It returned to its normal state. “You want to talk about your imaginary friend?” Lynn asked with more life this time. She felt energized and overall healthy. The fear she had before of taking her third dose that week was replaced with a mock.

          ‘I knew my body could take it. One dose a week is hardly enough for anything.’ Lynn thought in triumph. The llyrium was a highly addictive substance, but in her mind, she believed to have it under control.

          Mia’s eyes seemed surprised but Lynn ignored her as she grabbed her white mantle. “He’s not imaginary; he’s real and he’s been tormenting me, Lynn. I’m really scared of him and it feels like he’s getting stronger.”

          “Mia, the Covenant already analyzed any possibility of an immortal being the cause of this and it all came back negative. Whatever’s happening to you is all in your head.” Lynn smiled at her sister warmly, trying to say the last part delicately.

          The anger was not held back, as she let the tears flow. “You know what? Screw you; I don’t know why I even bothered.” Mia spat as she stormed away from the small kitchen and towards her bedroom.

          Lynn sighed, she really wanted to talk to her sister, even if what she claimed to be happening seemed farfetched to her. The fact was, Lynn needed to be a sister to Mia, but her duties were pressing. Something bad was happening in town and she could feel the restlessness that came from the streets, as if the immortals were preparing an attack.

          “Mia, I’m gonna go patrol Oaken-kami; I will probably not be home tonight.” No response and Lynn frowned as she went to the door. “We can talk when I get back.” After a few moments of waiting for an answer, Lynn gave up and walked out, closing the door behind her.

          When the soft sound of the door shutting reached her ears, Mia cried. She sobbed hard, never breaking her gaze from the person before her.

           “Leave me alone, Sam.” But he only grinned as she fell to her knees in her own lament.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

250 58 23
3rd place winner for the romance category in the Nova Nexus awards!!! 2024 Amanda has been through a lot these past few weeks. Kidnapping, starvation...
181 1 19
A demon princesses 18th birthday is coming up in a few days but she's a love demon so she will go woman hood in her years. As her birthday passes her...
5K 843 44
When a male stripper falls in love with a priest, he will do anything to get closer, even risk the wrath of God and the prejudiced congregation. * *...
141 20 6
two girls who were humans aren't anymore, they dont know what they are and to top it off they have 6 mates whose families are trying to kill them.