Doctor - a zigzag journey

By DrKcWong

You are welcome to leave comments in the chapters. (COMPLETED - 39 Parts) More

Part 1 - Reflection. Objectives & overview of this memoir.
Part 2 - I, "director" in my life
Part 3 - Why reminisce?
Part 4 - Growing up in a rural town: poverty & dignity
Part 5 - Growing up in a rural town: The "seeds"
Part 6 - Growing up in a rural town: The "seeds" (continue)
Part 7 - Death - a painful process to witness
Part 8 - Death - a painful process to witness (continue)
Part 9 - The unfailing spider
Part 10 - Puberty - what was going on?
Part 11 - "Man in the Net"
Part 12 - Pre-university
Part 13 - Perplexed
Part 14 - Goodbye, Sungai Siput
Part 15 - The "NUS" Journey
Part 16 - "To whom I dedicate my heart?"
Part 17 - The artificial heart valve
Part 18 - "The Boundless Sea and Sky"
Part 19 - Drift
Part 21 Turning a new chapter - Just about
Part 22 - A bumpy journey
Part 23 - Dejection
Part 24 - Turning Point
Part 25 - Turning Point (continued)
Part 26 - Mature medical student
Part 27 - 'You see no field (Eosinophil)' "What?"
Part 28 - The Heart
Part 29 - An experience at Dartmouth, USA (1)
Part 30 - An experience at Dartmouth, USA (2)
Part 31 - Goodbye, Dartmouth, USA
Part 32 - Australia, so close yet so far
Part 33 - The Challenges in Australia Begin
Part 34 - I am AIN
Part 35 - The Body and Soul
Part 36 - Caring & Sharing
Part 37 - I am a RA
Part 38 - The BIG Days
Part 39 - Epilogue (Final)
40. Upload
41. Centre of gravity
42. Belated Father's Day

Part 20 - The story of 25550 days

64 6 2
By DrKcWong

Background: 1997 -- 1999 (Age 30 - 32 years)

Worked five years in the multinational company, I acquired skills in analysis and communication. The role also widened my networking with external organisations.

"Your skills in statistical analysis and communication are highly desirable in our organisation," said Mr Chua with an attempt to headhunt me, "think about it and contact me. Here is my business card."

Mr Chua was the Managing Director of a UK-based consultancy organisation. The conversation took place in a lobby where I met Mr Chua after he had promoted a consultancy project to my then company.

Mr Chua's business card did not end up in a dustbin. Instead, it opened a door for me to explore the outside world. After attending a formal interview, I was offered a position as a consultant with the consultancy company. I was 31. My role was to provide consultancy services to organisations in Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, and India. The services included advising and assisting organisations to get their organisations certified to the International Standard called ISO 9000, and providing technical training such as Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA), Statistical Process Control (SPC), and Design of Experiments (DOE) to their employees.

In a business trip to New Delhi, India, I was chauffeured.

"I feel pampered having a driver chauffeured me from a hotel," I thanked the manager.

"It is our pleasure inviting you to teach our engineers about Statistical Process Control and Design of Experiments," the manager replied courteously.

Twenty engineers attended my five-day training. They were attentive and interactive.

After being chauffeured back to the hotel, I spent my evening in the hotel watching a fashion show put up in a grand lounge.

"Are you surprised seeing some of these pretty Indian models having fair skin?" a waiter, in his twenties, asked me in a strong Indian accent after he placed a well-presented plate of Tandoori chicken and a small glass of red wine on my dining table.

I nodded with a smile.

"These pretty models come from different parts of India," the waiter explained.

"Enjoy your meal, Sir."

The 'Sir' greeting was quite commonly used over there. I enjoyed. I meant the dinner and the fashion show, not the greeting as a 'Sir'.

On my flight back to Singapore, I reflected on my career. I enjoyed my professional status and the recognition and respect that I gained from my clients and colleagues. In tandem with my career advancement, I accumulated some wealth. But, I still felt that I had not achieved something deep seeded in my heart.

Meanwhile, my part-time Master degree course at the National University of Singapore resumed. I attended the evening class.

"Most of us live for 25550 days in average," a Chinese taxi driver mumbled. He had deep wrinkles on his forehead which I could see from the front mirror in the taxi. He could be in his sixties.

I was taking the taxi home after attending an evening class. Sitting on the back passenger seat, I was wondering whether he was mumbling to himself or speaking to me.

"I guess that you mean an average human lifespan," I responded anyhow.

"Yes, if we are lucky we have 25550 days or more. Some people have less," he continued in a sober voice.

After exhausting my brain with statistical numbers, I finally found a few neurones to work out what he meant. He was using statistics to express a Chinese saying i.e. "A human has an average lifespan of 70 years."

"We are born with a stack of calendars that contains 25550 days, more or less. We are spending these invaluable days without realising their depletion. If we don't make full use of the days, they are simply gone! 25550 is not a big number, do you agree?" he continued emphatically. Again, unasked.

I nodded in affirmation.

"Many years ago, my mother died when she was 70, and now I am getting close to the age," he continued in a sad voice.

"I am sorry to hear this," I attempted to empathise him.

I couldn't find out the cause of his mother's death and console him any further as the taxi screeched to a halt when I signalled him that I had reached my destination.

I saw his tear-filled eyes when I handed my taxi fare to him.

The story of 25550 days crept into my head. My Ah Ba passed away when he was 59; he lived 21535 days. And, I had spent 11315 days then! How many more days had I got?

I was reflecting on my life goal. Would I want to realise my childhood ambition?

How?

If I did not take action to find out any possibility to study medicine as a mature student, I would never have a trace of hope to realise the ambition. I decided to take action.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

133 31 8
Collection of short stories
1.6K 609 124
Notes on Coming Of Age and stuff.
3.8K 224 28
My chapters aren't too long but I try to update frequently, if you want longer chapters just tell me and I'll do it 😊 Thanks for reading! ♥️✨
585 6 53
This is going to be like a journal for me, and you'll get to read all my thoughts feelings, and anything I want to share about my life. I'll tell yo...