Moving On

By seveneightseven

After suffering a massive heartbreak, Sebastian Reid decided that it’s time to move on and start a new life:... More

Prologue
Chapter 1 - "Start of Something New"
Chapter 2 - "The Meeting"
Chapter 3 - "Take time to Realize"
Chapter 4 - "Bitter Sweet Memories: Part 1"
Chapter 5 - "Bitter Sweet Memories: Part 2"
Chapter 6 - "Stage is Set, Spotlight's On"
Chapter 7 - "Seb's Suspicions Surfacing"
Chapter 8 - "Tension 10x"
Chapter 9 - "Revelations"
Chapter 10 - "Love is in the air...& in her Dreams"
Chapter 11 - "Puzzle Pieces"
Chapter 12 - "Long Time No See"
Chapter 14 - "Your Shoulder to Cry On"

Chapter 13 - "Big Day, Big Game"

12 0 0
By seveneightseven

(Mariah's POV)

I wake up to the extreme coldness in our room. Carly and I turned the A/C on last night and I almost regret it since this kid beside me is taking all the covers for herself. I slowly get up to shut the cooling system off then head out to the washroom just across the hall from our room.

When I got back in the room, Carly is submerged under the covers. "You're phone keeps beeping," the pile of sheets complains.

I snuggle beside her, a text message greeting me. A +619 number? Seb? My cheeks say so too.

wakey wakey sleeping beauty :*

'This happened already I'm pretty sure.'

Uhhh...who's this?

I reply toying with him.

*beep beep*

The guy you dreamt of last night, and the night before, and the night before the night before that...

Is he a psychic or something? I can't deny it though, this simple conversation's got me even more excited for today. I don't want him to think that I crave his attention so I just didn't reply.

What now...it's 6:30 in the morning and I'm pretty sure that I'm the first one up and I wouldn't be able to go back to sleep.

*beep beep*

I check my phone once again expecting another text from Seb but mine did not light up. I bet anything and everything I have, that's Ian.

Carly's arm snakes out from under the covers to the table beside her. Her face emerges and she rubs her eyes before reading the message. A lazy smile appears on her face, told you so.

(Seb's POV)

"Goooooood morning, good morning, morning, morning, morning, morning," I sing out loud while pouring the pancake mix onto the pan.

"Why you so happy," Kevin asks grumpily while making his way down the stairs.

"Because the sun's up and the clouds are clear, no hangover 'cause I didn't drink beer," I smirk.

"No hangover from beer yeah but hangover from Mariah?"

I ignore his comment. If he only knows...I'm not hangover from her but instead I'm in comatose because of her....

"Hmmmmm, thwish ish gwood," Kevin states as he munches on the four layers of pancake on his plate.

I pour myself another glass of orange juice, "well thank you monsieur but on another note, I'm really excited for today."

Silence fills the dining room until Kevin's parents join us for breakfast. Good thing I cooked a lot of pancakes, sausages and sunny-side eggs or else they wouldn't have anything to eat. Kevin is feasting on majority of it.

"Good thing you're here Seb," auntie comments after taking her seat, "or else this kid would be munching on plates." She ruffles her son's hair earning a glare from him. One thing about Kevin: feel free to mess his life just not his hair.

We, his dad and I, laugh at her remark but Kevin ignores our reaction and continues on jugging his milk. "So you're dad's here too," uncle asks draining the life out of me.

I give him a single nod. I totally forgot about him; he wouldn't miss Carly's big game so there is a chance that I would bump heads with him. "Don't worry, he's harmless in front of a  lot of people," I joke but it's true though. He won't make a scene knowing that it would ruin his reputation. Yes, his stupid reputation.

* * * * *

After getting ready, we head to the university in two cars. Kevin and I in his, and his parents in uncle's car. Watching our performances has become a habit for them. As early as now, the parking lot is already half full. It makes sense since both teams are visiting, meaning their fans left their respective cities early this morning to catch the game.

While walking pass the cars in the parking lot, I look around for familiar faces. I'm sure Wingfield kids would be here full force. I pull my shades on just in time for a known face to show up from around the corner.

'George....Anthony? Why are they together?'

They are too busy looking at their phones to even notice us so we are able to walk by them easily. We head for the Kinesiology entrance, a few yards away from the gym where the fans are gathered. This is also the same entrance the teams would be using.

We walk by both locker rooms before reaching the lounge, which would be our dressing room for today. "Good morning," the rest of the group greets simultaneously.

"How long have you been here?" I ask.

"We just got here," Olly replies giving both of us a hug.

"Luca I hope you're not high," I tease the guy that is lying on the floor.

He sits up and extends his arms to reach his shoes. "I ran out so y'all are lucky."

"Ahem," Lewis, his twin clears his throat, "you ran out huh...you chose not to take any because of that Autumn chick."

Lewis and I shake hands. "Autumn huh?" I shrug dropping my bag on a sofa. Honestly, I have no problem with Luca messing around with her head as long as she doesn't end up like those...I guess, sluts he fools around with.

When we leave the dressing room for our performance, I notice that both teams are still in their locker rooms. Somehow it saddens me knowing that the Wingfield girls wouldn't see me dance but my sadness does not last long. When we are finally called into the gym, the Wingfield crowd explodes. I steal quick glances before the music plays and my eyes are very well satisfied with all the banners I see. Man, I missed those guys....

 It was crazy! Some threw a bunch of stuff (letters, cards, stuffed toys, etc.) at us after the performance and we gladly pick everything before leaving the stage. One thing that catches my eye before disappearing from their sight is a  banner  Kristen is waving side to side. She is sitting on Ian's shoulders with a huge-heart shaped banner with the group's name and picture. I'm not sure if they see me looking at them but I would need to greet those two, as well as all of them, after the game.

There's only one door leading the change rooms and as we exit the gym, the teams are all set. They are lined up in two single file lines, one for each team. I would have stopped at the front of the Wingfield line to wish my friends luck but I didn't want to distract them so I flashed them a small smile instead.

The dressing room was empty and the loud cheering from the gym is still notable from here.  "So we're sitting with the Wingfield kids right?" Lewis asks.

"I am but I don't know about you guys," I reply while shoving the rest of my stuff in the bag.

"They look like the underdog and y'all know I love rooting for underdogs," he states. As a matter of fact, they are. The other team is generally taller and much more experienced. Few of them even played for the junior national team last summer according to Olly.

There is less than three minutes left of warm-up when we start making our way up the Wingfield bleacher. It is a lot of work like Steve said backstage. People wants our pictures and autographs so we had to stop here and there to make sure we don't disappoint anyone. I recognize most souls that came to us and the attention they're giving us is massive that I catch some players steal glances at us.

"Holy pancakes homeboys," George bursts out happily when I reached the spot he's in with Ian. I look around for my other sister but I guess she went back to where her parents are sitting.

"Miss me," I joke returning my gaze to the two happy campers in front of me.

George pulls me into a really tight hug that caught me by surprise. "Hell yeaaah!"

"Good, good....what's up Ian?" I greet another soul that I have missed. "Oh by the way, this is Kevin, Olly, Luca, Steve and Lewis." I point at my groupmates respectively. "This is George and Ian."

"Goodness gracious, you guys are awesome!" Ian exclaims over the loud cheering. The teams have returned to their benches for a quick huddle.

Some sould are kind enough to give up their seats for us. "This should be fun," Olly snickers. She's a big volleyball fan since she used to play volleyball but was forced to stop when her parents can no longer finance it.

(Mariah's POV)

 Walker calls his final timeout of the fourth set. This is not looking good. The Long Beach team across the net won the third set after out dominant win over the first two and if we don't regroup, they could force this into a fifth and deciding set.

We walk to the bench and I see nothing but nerves and...fear, in everyone. "Hey, this is not over yet!" Walker yells over the banging and cheering of the two crowds. He looks at the score board above us: 18-20. "It ends in at 25, not 20 so let's keep fighting. All we need is a pass, one good pass. Those guys are good servers I know but just try to put it high enough for Mariah to make a god play," he instructs,. "Iah, if it's there run a play. You have three spikers in the front but try to avoid  Carly for now. She's well guarded on the left side. As much as possible, I want a quick set. If you can pull off a lower set for a right side hit, even better....Erica be there alright? Amy, keep taking that middle blocker out." She nods.

The whistle blows ending the timeout. I walk over to Autumn and Jane, our junior libero. "One pass, that's all we need." I say calmly in an attempt to calm their nerves as well as mine. With this rotation, I know the ball is going to either Autumn or I. As much as possible, they would avoid serving it to Jane since she's been solid the whole game.

(Seb's POV)

The ref blows the whistle; the sound is easily overpowered by the cheering. As the Long Beach player gets ready to serve, I glance at the girls' formation.

'Autumn, it's going to Autumn.'

[balls up...pak!]

'I knew it!

She got it up but no where near where Mariah would idealy like it. The serve was steep and fast so I wouldn't blame her. Iah had to run for it and she sets up Carly for the third touch. Carly has three blockers in front of her and the other three ready for anything that would get through the wall. Koodos to my sister, she manages to think despite the pressure. Instead of hitting it stongly at the wall, she lobs is softly over the block and the cover making the ball land at the corner of zone one.

And that was it! With Carly up on the service line for the next rotation. She hit three consecutive service aces: 22-20. The last three points we needed came from two solid attacks and a triple block to end the game.

The whole Wingfield bleachers clears out as everyone rushes to the court to join the celebration. Some event security guards had to be called out to clear the court for the awardings.

As they line up to receive the trophy, medals and banner, I got a good look of their faces Tears running down their faces, especially the five seniors.

* * * * *

"Who knew girls volleyball would be that intense." Kevin exclaims as we head to the dressing room to get our stuff.

"Are you staying here bro," Luca asks.

"Yeah why?" I return the question giving him an interrogating look.

 He chuckles nervously as we leave the room, "uh-"

"We'll go ahead you two before the people sees us," the rest cuts him off to bid goodbye.

"Anyway," Luca restates, "I have nothing else to do so yeah...thought you might need a ride to work since Kevin's going already."

'Uhhh....him offering me a ride? Well that's new.'

When we return to the gym, there is a huge crowd gathered around the girls - taking pictures and congratulating them. At one corner, I spot Carly hugging...well my dad.

"There's Mariah," Luca's hand tapping on my shoulder brings me back to reality. I look at the direction he's pointing at to find her with Ian and George and some people who have their backs facing us.

'Is that Anthony?...'

Just then someone wraps an arm around my neck.

'What the-'

"What are you doing here homeboy? You should be there celebrating with everyone else!" Brandon grins as he ruffles my short hair. He pulls me and Luca towards the crows I was just looking at. As we approach the group, more faces are revealed to my dismay.

"Hey Seb," Autumn greets happily as we pull each other in a hug. "Shit," she mutters by my ear. "What the hell are you doing here?"

As I try to contain my upcoming burst of laughter, I scan the group I am with. My eyes immediately land on the turd standing three feet away from me. Luckily though someone rests their forearm on my shoulder breaking my internal anger.

"Hey," I smile at the sight of the blonde haired beauty. "So proud of you," I softly whisper as I wrap my arms around her waist, hers around my neck.

"Alright now," George hisses but his words begin to fade away and when I look, Ian had pulled him away and the rest of the group slowly drifts away  from us; even Autumn and Luca.

"Thanks," she replies. I loosen my hold to look at her jolly face but she ends up leaning her head on my chest anyway.

(Mariah's POV)

His chest rises and falls as he laughs at my gesture. Desperate, so what but I actually miss him. My heart skips a beat when he rests his chin on my forehead pulling me even closer to him. Good to know the feeling's mutual.

Our moment is broken when someone hugs both of us. "Seb!" Kristen exclaims.

He releases me to my disappointment and wraps his arms on the little girl. "I miss you too kiddo," he grins. Seb kneels as she pulls him down to whisper something on his ear. Somehow I feel like it had something to do with me since after she left, he can't seem to sipe a smile off his face.

"What," I ask.

"Nothing," he smile as he leans in to kiss the tip of my nose. Butterflies fill my stomach and fireworks on my cheeks.

* * * * *

It took forever before we could leave the gym. Not only did we have to wait until most people are gone bus there were a few scouts who watched the game that we had a chance to talk to. Yes, Oregon's head coach was there too but he didn't seem interested in talking to me as much as he was for the Long Beach setter.

"You good Iah," Amy asks as we fill the bus.

"I guess..." My  disappointment overpowers the excitement I should be feeling because of the win that I even forgot to say goodbye to Seb before leaving.

As our bus leaves the parking lot, I look out the window to find him talking to George. I take my phone out from my backpack.

Me: sorry I didn't say bye :(

*beep beep*

No harm done..I'll see you tonight anyway :D

'Tonight? How?'

What's tonight??????

*beep beep*

You'll see :)

No matter how terrible I'm feeling right now, I'm glad he still manages to make me smile.

* * * * *

When we got back to the hotel, we only had 20 minutes before checking out. The team is heading back to LA today but since my parents are here, dad told me to move into Ian's room for the night. We'll drive back tomorrow morning.

"I'll see you Monday Carly," I hug my bestie before parting ways.

"Wait," we turn our heads to see Ian running towards us. He pants momentarily before pulling Carly into a tight hug. "Let me know when you get home," he smiles shyly...

"Let's go," Ian suggests sadly as we watch the bus drive away.

"Oh come on, don't you  want to spend time with me," I tease leaning my head on his shoulder while walking back to the room.

Several minutes later we are sitting at a table at Boston's Pizza. I'm too busy looking through my phone and I didn't realize that our server has approached the table to hand us the menu.

"Can I get your drinks while you order?" My head snaps up to look at the guy's face.

"Seb?" I whisper in disbelief. At first I thought we all are surprised but I was wrong; like him, my family are just smiling.

"Ow," Ian growls moments after Seb left. "Sorry," he adds quietly as mom gives him a look, "she stepped on my foot."

"Surprised?" Dad raises a brow; his gesture slightly annoying me.

"You knew he works here?"

He nods admiringly. "We talked to him before we left after the game."

I wanted to ask more about whatever they talked about but chose to shut up when I see him approaching us with the drinks.

The questions I had in my head faded for a while as we munch on the food. I realized I haven't eaten well this whole weekend, perhaps because of the pressure and the adrenaline.

"So," Ian gasps for air after swallowing a lump of food, "I saw you talking to the Oregon guy."

'Right about that.....'

My shoulders slump at my brother's statement. It's a dream, to go to Oregon, and now it is, slowly, turning into a horrible nightmare. "Yeah," I sigh.

"What's wrong Mariah?" Mom looks at me, her eyes filled with worry and even dad and Ian temporarily freeze.

"Nothing mom," I lie. "It's just that he seemed more interested at the other girl," I add with more confidence in my tone to make sure they wouldn't worry much.

"But he's been interested at you since sophomore year," Ian complains.

"Yeah well that was two years ago...he probably got bored," I chuckle, surprised that I actually got some joy out of that.

(Seb's POV)

I re-enter the kitchen gracefully.

"Someone's happy," Kevin teases and yes, we work at the same place. "You're seeing her tonight right?"

"Yup! I got my connections," I resume my whistling.

"Details," the guy demands.

"Roof top. Late night date."

"Where," another co-worker questions.

I sigh surely not wanting to explain. "No more hints. Just pray that my legs don't turn into noodles tonight."

"Fine be like that," Kevin shrugs.

I glance out at the dining area: they're still eating. I guess I'll come in a few minutes. "Are you asking her out tonight," Kevin asks making me turn to face him instead.

"Not tonight, that's for sure." I don't want to rush things between us, like I did with Jas. Like I've said before, I want us to have time to get to know each other. You know the saying "when you fall for the personality, everything else follows"? Yeah, that's exactly what it is. I've fallen, head over heels, for her; not just her looks but her.

__________________________________________

The story is slowly progressing again but more action will come soon, like really, really soon. :) It took me a while before I updated so thank y'all for your patience.

If anyone has any suggestions/predictions about how the next chapters would go, feel free to leave a comment.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

987K 24.3K 55
❝ I should've listened to my heart. No matter how hard I've tried to push you away, everything leads back to you. My thoughts, the way my heart flutt...
284K 6K 46
In the lively city of Sydney, Australia, lives Cassalia Elle Anderson, an eighteen-year-old high school student who has always been wary of boys and...
12.5K 271 37
Dating Sebastian Stan? This must be a dream. Simply waking up to him, going on dates, loving each other unconditionally. It won't be that hard right...
157K 4.1K 35
"So here I am, bawling my eyes out on my bed. I've got mascara streaming down my face, my eyes are red and puffy, I can't breathe, and it feels like...