Second Chance (a North and So...

By tini_25

Different take on North and South. It starts when Mr. Thornton leaves Margaret after his disaster of proposal... More

Introduction
Chapter 1: Roses have Thorns
Chapter 2: Twisted every way
Chapter 3: Revelation
Chapter 4: Walk in the Park
Chapter 5: Going through once more
Chapter 6: First contact with the past
Chapter 7: Hurry to post the letter
Chapter 8: What happened?
Chapter 9: What's her condition?
Chapter 10: Further explaination of present circumstances
Chapter 11: Men's conversations
Chapter 12: Time to blush
Chapter 13: Working out new strategies
Chapter 14: Bessy's letter
Chapter 15: Missing her slightly
Chapter 16: Chasing her
Chapter 17: Keeping her promise
Chapter 18: Cosy little coach ride
Chapter 19: Frederick Hale
Chapter 20: Flashbacks
Chapter 21: Illuminate forgotten events
Chapter 22: Comparing memories
Chapter 23: A sibling there in hard times
Chapter 24: What father never told
Chapter 25: New way of thinking
Chapter 26: gasping for forgiveness
Chapter 27: Conversations
Chapter 28: Conversations 2
Chapter 29: Secret Happiness
Chapter 30: The shadow of death
Chapter 31: Leaving the country
Chapter 32: The other man
Chapter 33: Last farewell
Chapter 34: Engagement
Chapter 35: The Confrontation
Chapter 36: Wedding bells
Chapter 37: Family tragedy
Chapter 38: Lost children
Chapter 39: One's Despair
Chapter 40: Distrust and Dismissal
Chapter 41: Lullaby
Chapter 42: Trying to mend it
Chapter 43: Dear Fred
Chapter 44: Remembering Oxford
Chapter 45: Being left alone
Chapter 46: Recollection
Chapter 47: Coming home
Chapter 48: A sorrowful message
Chapter 49: How the world collapsed
Chapter 50: Supporting columns
Chapter 51: Back to London
Chapter 52: Confession against Depression
Chapter 53: Helstone
Chapter 54: The Lennox's Philosophy of life
Chapter 55: Ungrateful business
Chapter 56: A very generous gift
Chapter 57: Looking South
Chapter 60: Spain
Chapter 61: Complicated
Chapter 62: Sincerely, ...

Chapter 58: Coming after her

1.7K 32 10
By tini_25

John

Even after I have watched hours long out through the window into the countryside, noticing small changes in the landscape, the fields became larger, the smoke viewer and yet I found nothing calming my mind.

I was trying to decide whether I had reason to be nervously excited or not. It was unbearably cruel, the time kept running, so did the train, but it was not fast enough for my taste. After thinking through several possibilities of approaching her, I decided for one and then for the other. At the end, it will hopefully just come to me when we finally face each other again.

Exiting the train, I had no other option than to let things play out naturally. I somehow have the feeling that I will see the answer in her clear eyes and act on it. I was mostly not afraid of not finding the right wording, but I was rather afraid of what I would find in her eyes, she always wore her heart openly in the expressions of her beautiful blue eyes.

The house of the Shaws was in one of the more prestigious parts of London, the impeccable white outside wall and the columns circling the entrance was sure to make you feel unworthy of entering. Swallowing my hesitation I went straight towards the door and knocked.

Several minutes of silence. The door tormenting me with its being closed and hiding the people living within, representing a wall between me and my future. I somehow had the strange feeling of being watched and instinctively looked up towards a window on my right. Quickly the person standing behind it disappeared without giving me a chance of recognizing anything. The curtain slumped back into place, making it impossible to see through anymore.

Caught off guard was I, when the front door suddenly opened up and a servant walked me into the building. Just about to tell who I am and with whom I should like to have a meeting with, the servant just took my hat and led me into the hallway.

"You are expected." The maid said turning towards me while showing me the door to her right. "I cannot be expected. I came unannounced."

The confusion on the face of the maid didn't help me with understanding the situation I got in.

"You are Mr. Thornton from Milton, aren't you Sir?"

"Yes, I am," I confirmed, confused as to how someone would know who I was merely by looking out the window.

„Than you are expected. Please enter, he is waiting."

„He?" The maid was not inclined to answer me any more questions as those seemed to build up by the minute. Who is expecting me in this foreign house, if it is not Margaret, is beyond being. There was none in this house I know but Margaret. Maybe the man who watched me from the window expected me, but still, he wouldn't know, would he?

There had only to be one knock, not more and the door opened up to reveal a man that I did not see until now, and yet he seemed to know exactly who I was and by the way he was looking me up and down, was probably already starting to guess what business I would have in this house and with whom.

"Mr. Thornton, pleased to make your acquaintance. Henry Lenox." Taking my hand and shaking it, both of us took the opportunity to observe each other and settle on our first impression of the person standing opposite stances.

Henry Lenox was a man of high build but not imposing. Blond hair and grey-blue eyes were his features, in an impeccable suit by the newest fashion I presume, the picture of a perfect Londoner Gentleman. He was the man I wasn't. Though polite, I had a strange feeling of insincerity and his facial expression resembled a mask, which only benefited the negative feeling I was building against this man.

"I assume there are no introductions needed on my account. The maid was under the impression that you were expecting exactly me."

"I have seen you standing at the entrance. I had a feeling that it would be you arriving at our doorstep several days after she posted the documents. Surely you are here because she threw away the greatest income she had, there had to be some reason behind it, there always is ..." He slowly stopped talking, like he was following this train of thoughts in hope of finding the final answer to solve the problem.

I did not like the condescending way he talked about "her" who surely had to be Margaret because he mentioned the deeds to Marlborough Mills.

"I received the papers only yesterday. I felt that it must have been a spontaneous decision from her side, I did not believe that she really wished to give up the mill completely. It is because of that, that I had to meet her and clear whether she wanted to take back her offer. May I see her as my business is solely with her?" The amount of nervousness inside my system made room for anger directed at this smug London gentleman as well as a building up a feeling of impatience.

"I can assure you, that she was quite set on letting you have the deed. There is no reason to worry about the integrity of her decision. So, there was no reason for you to trouble yourself and make this journey." Pulling out his shining pocket watch, which was sure priced the with same worth as a yearlong wage of one of my hard-working employees, he indicated the time. "If you take your leave now, there is surely a chance that you would catch the next northbound train."

"And yet, I should like to have the opportunity to speak with Miss Hale personally, even if it is only to thank her and give her a report of our mutual acquaintances." I insisted on it as I noticed that this man was trying to get rid of me. Just like with all of the business partners, who wanted to make me bend to their will, there was no way I will give him what he wants.

"You wish to see her her now, don't you?" The small unpleasant smirk with which he greeted me returned in full force. He had a mischievous glint in his eyes and I did not trust him in the least.

"Yes, is there a problem about that, which you would like to address?" Trying to keep up a calm exterior, I surprised him with my neutral response. His former facial expression recovered yet again, there was definitely something there that he was trying to either hide from or use against me. As it was, it seemed like I was about to find out.

"Well, there is a certain problem with location ..." Stating this, he finally stood up from his comfortable stance on the parlor sofa he started stroll about the room, while unnecessary dragging his feet in very slow movements. He was playing with his cravat, while he clenched his lips in his upturned face when he turned around to face me again, making it look like he was making plans on how to continue.

Putting in a lot of effort not to say anything thoughtlessly to this man, I wanted to take my leave. "What are you referring to by location? If she should not be present in this house at this moment, I would ask you to pass me the information on when she'll be in again. I shall not be overstaying my welcome while waiting for her return."

Ironically laughing, he made a step towards me, the menacing smile in place again. "You don't understand. She won't be here anytime soon. In fact, nobody knows whether she will be back at all." That caught my attention. Was he playing with me?

„How?" I uttered half confused half dreading that his words might prove to be true.

„She has left us, never to return again. There was no indication as to where she was going, merely a note making it clear that we should not wait for her." Words which were able to let a shudder of fear rush through my body.

I looked into his eyes, but his expression was barely readable. On the one hand, there was no apparent reason for him to lie to me. And yet he gave me the feeling that he was missing out on something. I could not believe that Margaret would leave the only family she has left without bidding farewell, or at least letting them know where she was headed. Weren't they expecting some kind of contact with her, wouldn't she want them not to worry about her? If they really didn't know where she was headed, surely they would search for her in order to recover her. Something was not adding up the way he explained it to me and I would not go until I discovered it.

"She vanished, didn't tell you where she went and yet you are not searching for her, sitting comfortably in this house, without a concern for her wellbeing? Pardon me for remarking this, but I have doubts." His facial expression turned quickly from a displeased frown back into the malicious smile, as if he had found something to use against the unwelcome guest, in this case: me.

"We don't know exactly where she is, and yet we are under the impression that she is in good hands." Indicating on his fourth finger on his raised right hand he said this in a matter of fact voice.

I understood.

"Nevertheless, could you notice me should she come back? I would still like to speak to her, should the chance arise."

Very pleased with himself, he showed me out with one lazy gesture of his hand, returning to his seat and paper. There was nothing for me to do, but accept the fact, that I had no other choice but depend on these people. I had no other alternative, there was no way for me to find her, she could be anywhere.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.6K 650 32
Two friends, unspoken feelings and a misunderstanding. Will it end it all or will it be just the beginning?
27.8K 721 22
Elisabeth Armitage merely exists, she is an exceedingly rich heiress feeling at odds with her life. She slowly discovers a way of making peace with h...
75.5K 4.5K 69
Their meeting was fate. Their beginning was an accident. Their love is doomed. Because from the beginning, they fell for each other.
271K 2.8K 22
A fateful event awakens hidden attraction, and fleeting tenderness grows steadily into love when a single impulse changes the course of Margaret Hale...