Chapter 29: Secret Happiness

John

"Wait, I love you!"

I abrutly stopped as I heard him say that. My heartbeat rouse up to an impossible pace. For some seconds it was difficult for me to breathe. 

I still stood with my back turned towards him as I was trying to leave for home earlier. But all thoughts of home faded when he told me the three words I already believed were in his heart for me, waiting till the moment has come to be released. 

Thousands of thoughts and emotions stormed me at that moment. It seemed like a long time till my legs dared to move and I eventually turned back towards him. If I ever had any doubts about the depth of his feelings for me, however, when I looked into his eyes it made them all vanish. 

My hearbeat quickened even more when I saw the anxiesty and hope and most of all the when I saw the obvious love he carried in his tender heart for me. At this moment he was wearing his heart on his sleeve and I could see all of him.

I still wasnt able to move an inch towards him. The shock still held me in my place. It still seemed surreal and my mind was trying to register the information I just got, which will most likely will have an impact on me for the rest of my life, I am sure. 

At last I managed to open my mouthl. He had waited long enough already. But there was nothing reasonable to say. I was still overwhelmed. 

"What did you say?" Was the only thing I could mutter towards him. If I heard it one more time, it might not feel like a dream anymore. I lookeed hopefully at him, a small and shy smile forming on my lips.

"I said I love you" He said, letting out a breath which sounded like a sigh of relief and a weak laugh at the same time. That made me finally notice how nervous he actually was. 

I closed my eyes for a short time and let the words sink in. I smiled. It didnt matter to me now if we were seem by anyone, they could gossip as much as they like for all I care. All that mattered to me now was the man standing some feet away from me. The man I loved. 

Yes, I finally admit it to myself. I am in love with John Thornton. So I let my feelings take over the little reason I still had inside of me, and ran into his arms laughing. 

He was taken by surprise by my quick and bold action but joined my laughter after he encircled his arms around me. Suddenly he lifted me up and spun me around. When he stopped and let me down his my eyes caught his and his gaze intensified. I looked at these beatiful ocean blue eyes and awaited his next words. 

"Do you love me Margaret?" It was the first time he called me by my name. Although he once nearly said it at my house. I was dissapointed then, when he quickly corrected himself. But this time he called my name on purpose and it sounded so perfect and so natural it felt like it was meant to be. His voice wavered with such deep emotion it nearly hurt to listen.

"Yes. Yes I do." I simply said while looking strait into his eyes. I tried to show him how much I felt, so thta he believed me. I wanted to convince him of the depth of my feelings. 

His face lit up and I knew he belived me. He pressed me harder to his chest an I happily leaned my head on his. I felt perfectly at home in his arms. I smiled to myself as I hear him mumble my name countless times into my hair. 

After some minutes of perfect bliss in his arms, he pulled away. Never leaving my eyes, he took a step away and kneeled in front of me. I could not believe my eyes. He pulled something out of the pocket of his waistcoat. It was shining and small. I gasped in surprise when I finally saw what it was. It was a ring and it was silver with an oval saphir adorning it. It looked truly magical.