Chapter 3: Revelation

Margaret

When I gained my consciousness, at last, I was examined by someone. My view was blurred, but I acknowledged the voice. "Dr. Donaldson? What happened? Is my mother worse?" I finally got out, but my voice only a slight audible and crackling sound.

"No, no" he chuckled slightly what irritated me. "This time you are my patient, not your mother."

What? What happened? Oh please clarify doctor! But somehow I couldn't get my mouth open to speak again, a sudden weakness forced me to stay silent.

"It seems we have to add memory problems to the list as well but don't worry, the memory will come back. But I can't give you any information about how long this will take to occur. I wrote down everything she will need. And you don't need to tell your wife, Mr. Hale, it wouldn't be good for her health to worry about her now. I am sure she will be herself in no time. Just see that she gets her rest and don't forget about enough fresh air." He said towards the opposite direction and only now I noticed father standing in the room.

"I will do whatever is in my might to do. Thank you, doctor."

I saw the two men withdraw from my room, leaving me alone. My head ached at the back of it and I had a sick feeling in my stomach making me feel as if I would start spitting over the floor any second. Dixon entered the room, a bucket in her hands. Just in time, she handed me the silver vessel when my stomach released its contents. I felt awful. Now wasn't the best time to get sick. Mother was worse and she shouldn't worry about me as well as my father. I knew that he couldn't handle two ill people at once. I had to get up, but when I tried to I felt the strength in my limbs fade and it made me fall back into the mess of pillows and blankets. I found I was too weak to move anymore.

"You should rest Miss Margaret." I heard Dixon say, a concerned expression on her face.

"I don't need to rest, believe me, I am fine." I managed to mutter.

"Of course, I saw that. Don't be so irresponsible. You just spewed, what seemed to have been your breakfast, out I wouldn't recommend you to over exert yourself. Just lie here until you get better." She said in a demanding but affectionate tone.

"But how could I possibly lie here, my mother is ill and you need my help. I just can't be so lazy..." I couldn't finish my sentence as my stomach returned to its earlier purpose to empty itself completely and cut me off.

"I won't hear more of this Miss Margaret, I will convince your mother that you are alright, so don't worry about that." She got another blanket and covered me up with it. And after she gave me one last reassuring look she left me to rest.

"Thank you, Dixon." I felt guilty. She had to do so much and I, instead of helping her, added a new burden on her shoulders. But there was nothing I could do now. I was tied up here. I will have to rest until I was better again.

"May I come in?" My father put his head into my room. He came in and stole silently to my side and bend down on his knees. He started to stroke my cheek gently. "How are you?"

"Better I guess, I am sorry." I didn't know what, but I wanted to say it for some reason.

"For what?" When I didn't respond, he continued "I am grateful that you look better. You seemed so exhausted.

Well, in fact, I still was, but I didn't know why, and I didn't want him to know that. I tried to lift myself into a straight sitting position and finally found the strength to do so. He helped me immediately and rearranged some of my pillows so that I could sit more comfortable and lean back. A small smile grazed his face as he examined me in the dimmed light my closed curtains still let through from the transparent glass panels of the window. Father was so caring, I was really lucky to have him as my father. How would I be without him? My thoughts were transferring to Mr. Thornton almost immediately, a young boy, left without the guidance of a father but having to take over and be the head of the family. I shook the thought of, not inclined to explain what I was thinking of if I was caught and trying to concentrate on the task in front of me. Get to know what happened.