Change Your Life (The Outside...

By unstoppable35

Jane Taylor, JT for short, has always been a spoiled kid. She's one of the most popular girls in school. She'... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13

Chapter 8

4.6K 131 77
By unstoppable35

Chapter 8

Today, I find myself taking up some serious cleaning. Only because they either can't do it or won't do it. Either way, I'm gonna do it.

I stand outside with a basket full of damp sheets and other clothes. I clean off the clothesline and begin hanging things up with wooden pins.

I feel a little strange doing this. I haven't done much laundry in my life, let alone do it like they did in this time. It's kinda fun once you get started. After a while though, I'm sure it becomes work.

"Looks like you finally found something to do," Two-Bit says. I look beside me to see him leaning on the fence.

"Hey, Two-Bit," I answer cheerfully.

"What are you up to?"

"I figured if I'm gonna stay here, I'm gonna help out instead of bum around like you," I tease. "You should try working some. It might be good for you."

"Hell, if I did that, everyone would die of shock." I laugh.

"I bet they would."

"Oh, you still owe me one," he says. "Remember when you and Johnny snuck back in?"

"Yes."

"You owe me for keeping my trap shut."

"What were you thinking?" I ask.

"I don't know just yet. We'll have to see."

"My, my. You got me scared," I say sarcastically. "Anyway, have you seen Ponyboy this morning?"

"Yeah. Him and Johnny went somewhere. Those two are attached to the hip at times," he answers.

"Sometimes. So I guess that pretty much leaves me and you."

"I guess so." I start to make my way inside. He follows me around the fence and comes through the gate. We go inside together and I take the basket back to the laundry room while he sits in the floor watching the TV.

"Hey, Two-Bit?" I call from another room.

"Yeah?"

"What's your real name?"

"I never told you?" he asks.

"No." I hear the icebox open and bottles clanking together. I hear a pop and I know he's found himself a beer.

"It's Keith," he says. "What's yours?" I come back into the main room to see him watching cartoons with a beer in his hands. I stare at him with my arms folded across my chest.

"You'll never, ever know," I tell him.

"Why not?"

"Because I'm not gonna tell you. Duh!" I answer. He puts a pouty look on his face.

"Ain't that a shame?"

The door swings open and Steve walks in. I wonder why he's here.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" Two-Bit asks.

"Thought you had work," I add.

"Yeah but I'm doing a favor for someone. I know Two-Bit ain't about to help me though," he replies.

"Told you, JT," he says beside me. I shoot him a glance but quickly replace it with a smile.

"JT, will you come help me with this car for a minute? It won't take long," Steve says. I shrug. Why not?

I follow him outside to see a car parked out front. He walks to it and pops the hood. He asks me to hold it since the rod to do that is broken. I stand there while he works on the inside.

"You're close to Soda, aren't you?" I ask.

"Yeah. We're good buddies. What about you?"

"I don't know who I'm close to."

"I think you're pretty good with Soda's kid-brother and Johnny," he says.

"Everyone says that."

"'Cause it's true."

"I guess so. And you work at the DX, right?"

"Mhm. It's the place to be when you're kinda car crazy. But it makes it bad when a nice looking car has a bad driver."

"What do you mean?"

"Socs, man. They have the Mustangs and Corvairs, the tough cars. But they're bad people with good things."

"Most of them are that way," I tell him.

"Yeah? Well no matter what it takes, we'll still be here and they'll still be there. Fighting won't help none. Socs will still be socs- the rich kids. Greasers with still be greasers- the tough kids."

There's a moment of silence as he continues to work on the car. Things hit and click as he works.

"But whatever. They ain't worth wasting my breath over," he says.

"Are you almost done?" I ask. He nods.

"Just this one last... Alright." He pulls the hood back down and shows me his hands. "This is what I deal with everyday," he says.

"That's gross, man." He smears some on my forehead. I try to pull away as he goes to put some on my cheek.

"Gross now, isn't it?" he teases.

"Ew! Stop!" He finally does after several attempts. I successfully fought him off. But this is nasty.

We both go inside and clean the grease off his hands and my face. Two-Bit watches as I make weird faces to get the stuff off.

"What are you looking at?" I ask him.

"I don't know. Something weird, that's for sure," he says. I roll my eyes at him.

"Very funny."

"Hey, I'm gonna go back to the DX. Two-Bit, wanna walk with me?" Steve asks. Two-Bit looks to me to make sure I'll be alright here by myself. I nod, letting him know it was okay.

"Sure. JT, you'll be alright won't you?" he asks.

"I'll be fine."

"If anything happens, you come find one of us, alright?"

"Alright. Bye, you two!" I tell the boys. They step out the door and I'm left in the silence of the house. I sit on the couch, wondering what I could be doing.

I begin to think about my dad. I still can't believe he has cancer again. But then again he doesn't. As of now, he's not even born yet. Dad wasn't here until 1970. This is almost 1967. But if I stayed in the future, dad would be dying and I wouldn't have met these people. I wouldn't have lived their lives for this long. I wouldn't even had read the book. But I did and here I am.

What I'm upset about is the fact that he never told me. He was always mad at me because he couldn't tell me, if that makes sense. He was always pushing me to be perfect because he knew that deep down, he wasn't. He knew I had a chance at life but his would fall short. He knew he would die soon. Why didn't he tell me so I wouldn't take it as hard?

"Anybody home?" a voice calls as they open the door. Dally walks in by himself. "Hey, JT!" he says a little happily.

I look up at him and his smile fades to a confused frown. He walks over beside me.

"Hey, what's wrong?" he asks. "You look a little down."

"Yeah. Do you remember when we were talking, and we mentioned our parents?"

"Yeah."

"I got a letter from my mom last night. My dad has cancer again and they don't know if he's gonna make it this time," I answer.

"JT, I'm real sorry..." he says.

"It's okay. I just- I don't know what to- what to do. I..." I try to continue but I feel the pain overcome my senses again. Tears fill my eyes and he watches with uncertainty of how to help. He sits beside me and puts an arm around me like Soda did last night.

"It'll be alright. I'm sure he'll be okay," he says.

"What if he dies?"

"Then we'll all be here for you like we are now."

I sit up from leaning over. He moves his arm away as I crash into the back of the couch. I just need to get over it. He told me to get out in the first place. But if I would've known...

"Look, not to be rude or nothing, but don't-"

"Tell anyone," we say at the same time. "I know. Can't tell your little secrets, Dal."

"You already know me," he says. I smile and get up. "Well I'll come find Johnny and them later. See you tonight," he says, walking to the door.

"See ya, Dally. And thanks..." He nods and walks out.

Not much longer after Dally leaves, Darry comes home by himself. He looks beat. Today must've been rough on him.

"Hey, JT. Where's everyone else at?" he asks. I shrug.

"I don't know. They kinda just went out and about." He nods understandingly. He walks into his room and immediately comes back out.

"Where are my sheets...?"

"Oh! They're on the clothesline out back," I answer. "I cleaned the others too."

"You really didn't have to," he says as he shuts his door. "We could've done them some other time."

"If I'm gonna be here, I'm gonna help. And you're not about to stop me!" I hear him laugh through the door as he changes and what not.

"Anyway, how was your day?" I ask.

He begins talking about it as I wander to another room. I'm sort of more curious about it now than I've ever been. "It was kind of hot today..." I pick up a picture frame sitting on the vanity top. It's an older photo of a beautiful woman in a white, timeless wedding dress with a bouquet of flowers in her hands. She has a bright and warm smile as it is the happiest day of her life. "Do you think you know where Ponyboy's at?" he asks.

"Uh... No. I'm not sure," I call back. I hear his heavy footsteps walking around. I see other pictures of the brothers when they were younger. There's a family picture, individual ones, and silly ones taken throughout the year. I look at the most recent. They all look so young and happy. Except now there's always a hint of dullness and sadness in each of their eyes. Even Soda, the most enthusiastic person I know, has that moment where he looks tired and upset. Losing your parents can take a hard toll on you. I guess I'm about to figure that out anyways...

"That was my mom, you know..." Darry says quietly. I jump a little since he practically came out of nowhere.

"She was really pretty," I answer. He nods and examines the pictures too.

"Yeah..."

"Do you remember a lot about her when you were little?" I ask. He kind of laughs at a memory sparked in his mind.

"When I was almost four, she told me I was going to have a little brother. I was so excited. And when Soda came along, we used to pretend fight in the house and the yard. Mom always told us to cut it out before we got hurt. And then Ponyboy came along. I always protected him the most because he was special. I knew he wasn't rough like we were. But then when mom and dad died, I was crazy about keeping my brothers safe. So I did whatever I could to help keep our family together. It's tough when you have to play mom and dad..."

"I'm really sorry, Darry. I didn't realize how hard this is for you."

"It's alright. I wish Ponyboy knew a little better. He thinks I hate him. And I really don't. I just want him to have a good life instead of working his whole life like me or being a dropout like Soda."

He cares a little differently...

"I know what you mean. It was a struggle when dad was sick. And now he's sick again... Well, I don't know what to say," I explain. "I'm mad at him but I'm not, you know?"

"I was mad for a long time about mom and dad. I didn't understand why bad things happen to good people like them. They were the nicest around. But it's like a they just disappeared from our lives."

"Nothing can stay around forever. If they could, I would've kept a lot of things. I would've said a few more apologies than what I did. I don't know. Sometimes life gets tough, but we have to be tougher and get through it," I say thoughtfully. I stare at his mother's wedding picture and wipe the dust from her face with my thumb. I sigh and gently set it back down on the vanity.

"You're just like my kid-brother, I swear," he says. "Ponyboy's always off saying something like that."

"You know, if you really want him to try and understand how you feel, I think you should try to understand him a little better." He thinks about that for a minute before nodding.

"You're right. I'll try, JT," he finally says. "Thanks."

"Any time."

"Hey! I'm home!" someone calls as the front door opens. I walk back into the other room and see Soda kicking his shoes off.

"Hey, little buddy," Darry says from the kitchen.

"Did we get any mail?"

"Not today." He nods and searches for chocolate milk. I shake my head and smile to myself. He never misses a beat.

I then remember the things on the clothesline outside. I grab the basket and head out back. The sunset sure does look pretty today. It's nice to know you can see it well from here. It'll still always be beautiful wherever I look at it though.

"What are you doing?" a voice asks. I look over and smile as I see Ponyboy walking towards me.

"I'm doing cartwheels. What does it look like?" I answer sarcastically. He smiles and looks at the sky with concentration. I shake the fabrics out and fold them neatly. I notice I stop doing so as I watch the sun start sinking below the horizon. The chill of night time creeps up and cools my skin.

"You two come on in for dinner!" Soda calls from the porch. I quickly finish folding and follow Ponyboy inside. I place the basket on the floor and sit down at the small table.

"I hear the state is gonna come check up on us soon," Darry says.

"Well this place is a wreck! They'll sure be approving the house then," Ponyboy says sarcastically.

"If y'all would take initiative..." Darry mumbles.

"Yeah!" Soda agrees. "You people do nothing around here."

"Speak for yourself there 'cause you sit around just like the rest of them," I tell him, pointing a finger at him.

"And what do you do?"

"I'll have you know that I washed a bunch of stuff today because your clothes were stiff they were so dirty," I tease.

"No they weren't!" Soda defends.

"They probably were. You like to hide all your clothes and never pick them up," Darry says.

"Ah, whatever. You're just messing with me," Soda says.

"So what did you do all day?" I ask as I turn to Ponyboy.

"Me and Johnny went down to the drugstore and talked," he says.

"Sounds fun," I tell him. He nods. "Oh and Dally came by looking for y'all."

"What'd he want?" Soda asks.

"I don't know. He said he was gonna come by later tonight or something."

"Well alright, I guess," Darry says.

"Hey, JT. Does it feel weird to be here?" Soda asks.

"Well... Sometimes."

"How come?" Ponyboy asks.

"Because I'm never around boys like all of you. And I'm not by myself much. I don't have brothers or sisters so my house wasn't as lively as it is here. People are better here."

"Better how? We're just a bunch of hoods around here," Darry says. I lean back in my chair and think of how I want to say this.

"Everyone was so cold and emotionless. But you three, Johnny, Two-Bit, and the rest have emotions and character. Almost all of the kids from my old school were socs. They didn't care, unlike you do," I explain. "You know, this is really hard to try and tell you when I don't have the right words. It's hard to explain, but do you kinda get what I'm saying?"

"Yeah. I think so," Ponyboy says. Soda looks like he's concentrating really hard on something. His eyebrows are furrowed as he cradles his chin in his hand.

"Whatcha thinking about there?" I ask him.

"We have emotions and character?" he asks. "You mean we just have them a little differently?" I nod.

"Yeah. Socs are self-centered. Y'all aren't because you have to look out for everyone else too," I say.

"Soda, I think you ought to get back in school," Darry teases.

"Nah, I'm too dumb for that kinda stuff," he replies.

"No you aren't!" Pony says.

"You ain't gotta use your head to figure out something like that. At least he's got the common sense," I add. Soda smiles from ear to ear and looks down.

"Alright, who's doing dishes tonight?" Darry asks.

"I'll do them!" I offer. Before he can refuse, I take my plate to the sink and turn on the water. Everyone hands me their dirty dishes and I wash them. This time, Ponyboy's my side kick of drying them and putting things away. As we begin to finish up, the front door opens.

"Hey, guys!" Two-Bit's cheerful voice calls. "How is the Curtis residence this fine evening?" he adds playfully. Footsteps come running into the kitchen and Ponyboy is being picked up and taken into the other room.

"Put me down, man!" he says.

"Was little Pony doing the dishes?" Steve teases.

"Yes I was, thank you very much!" he answers with a laugh.

"Hey look! You brought Johnnycake along with you," Soda says happily.

"And Dally's here too!" Johnny says.

"Y'all sound like you're having a party in there," I call as I laugh.

"What's a party without some drinks?" Two-Bit says, opening a beer bottle. That boy, I swear. I notice Dally coming towards me. I smile as I see him from the corner of my eye. He leans on the counter.

"Still our secret, right?" he asks.

"Yeah, yeah."

"Did you tell them I was looking for them?"

"Yes, sir."

"Cut it with the sirs alright?" he asks. I laugh.

"Yes, sir." He smiles I pull a knife from under the water to dry it off.

"Hey now. Watch where you're pointing that thing," he says.

"Sorry! Don't stand there, then!"

"Ah, whatever."

"Hey, Dally, JT! C'mon in here!" Soda calls.

"Alright, hang on," I answer. I dry my hands on a towel and go into the other room. "What's up?" I ask, standing in the doorway.

"JT, we were just thinkin', have you ever actually drank before?" Steve asks, a wide smile in his face.

"Oh, uhm..." I feel my cheeks burn red. "No, I haven't."

"Well shoot, we can change that, can't we?!" Two-Bit exclaims, jumping from the couch and grabbing a beer bottle from the table.

"Woah now, I'm not sure about this. I don't wanna be responsible if somethin' bad happens to her," Darry says.

"C'mon now, Darry. She's been doing all the house work lately. Hell, I don't drink much, but everybody needs a break," Soda says. Darry slowly nods in agreement.

"I guess so."

"Plus, JT here owes me. Don't you?" Two- Bit says with a smirk.

Dammit.

"C'mon JT, let's go get some beers and get this thing started!"

I follow Two-Bit to the kitchen, on his heels the whole time.

"I can't even believe you, Two-Bit! This ain't what I had in mind when you said I owed you one. I swear, I hate you right now," I say, playfully punching his arm.

"Trust me darlin', you ain't the only one." He laughs. "Trust me, drinkin' is hella fun."

We walk back into the crowded living room, our hands filled with bottles.

"You know what JT?" Dally says, sounding a bit tipsy already.

"What?"

"I bet you couldn't outdrink Two-Bit. Why don't we have a bet and see if you can drink more than him and still stand up straight?" he says, smiling.

Two-Bit explodes with laughter.

"Dally, that might just be the best idea I've heard all day!" Two-Bit says, winking at me.

Dammit... again.

It's not that I don't want to drink. I'm just plain nervous.

Ponyboy hands me an open bottle.

"Sorry JT, but I've seen Two-Bit. I'm betting on him," he says.

"Yeah, if you ain't ever drank before, you won't last very long," Johnny adds.

Boy, do I agree.

I slowly raise the cold bottle to my lips, and take a sip.

My mouth suddenly feels bitter, and I have the urge to spit it out right there on the floor. But something about it is also sweet, and it's made me want more. I take another sip, and this one was bigger. A few more drinks, and I actually start to enjoy it.

"Dang, she's actually doing it! Look like you got yourself some completion, Two-Bit!" Dally laughs.

"Yeah, alright!" Two-Bit says sarcastically.

As I finish off the bottle, I start to feel strangely happy. I feel like I could do anything. That everything I did would be 100 times better than before. It feels great. No, not great. It's feels absolutely amazing.

"Hey, somebody hand me another one," I say. No one seems to hear me.

"I saiiiid, give me another onnne," I sing out. Pony smiles, and puts another bottle in my hand.

"You are so amazing, Ponyboy. I love you. I love you for giving me another bottle." I grab his face in my hands. "I love your stupid face."

I lean back on the couch and laugh. I look around to see everyone else is also laughing. What was so funny? I open my second bottle and take yet another drink.

"You like drinking so far, JT?" Steve ask, trying to hide a laugh. "Because it sure looks like it."

"What's that suppose to mean, Steve? You sayin' that I look funny when I drink?" I snap.

I'm finding it hard to keep my eyes open, even though I don't feel a bit sleepy.

"Nah, you always look funny, drinkin' or not!" Two-Bit says, his laughter going wild. He's already drunk 3 bottles.

I stand up and walkover to Two-Bit, tripping over my own feet on the way. I put my face inches from his.

"I will straight up slap you, Two-Bit," I say.

I finish off my second bottle, ignoring the sick feeling in my stomach.

"Do it, sweetheart," he mocks.

I drop the bottle to the floor.

I raise my hand it the air and let it down on his face with a crack. He stumbles backwards, and falls, laughing all the way down.

"Shoot girl!" Dally says, coming up from behind me. The room is filled with laughter.

"I need another one," I whine, trying to walk past Dally.

"Another beer? No, I think you've had enough. You're about to pass out," he says.

"C'mon. Just onnnne morrre!" I sing.

"JT, you ain't looking so good," Ponyboy says, coming up beside Dally.

"Are you kidding? I always look good," I say, striking a horrible model-like pose.

As I start to walk back to the couch, I suddenly feel like I can't walk any farther. My feet become heavier than I can manage, and I fall to the floor, my head hitting the ground so hard, it makes my head spin even worse than before.

I feel a hand pull me up, and I try getting back on my feet. It's no use.

"I'm gonna be sick. Get me to the bathroom. I'm gonna throw up," I mumble.

Dally and Ponyboy must have heard me, because next thing I knew I'm on the bathroom floor, vomiting into the toilet. My head is pounding, and I realize why Pony told me I didn't look so good.

Pony pulls my hair from my face, and gives me a tissue to wipe my mouth. After I finish, he helps me into my bed, and pulls the cover over me.

"JT, don't worry. You just drank way too fast for your first time. I did the same thing."

"Ponyboy, I'm so, so sorry. I'm so stupid for even trying to drink so much," I say.

"No. It was Two-Bit who wanted you to drink anyways."

"But I could've said no. This was me, not him," I tell him. My eyes keep closing, and I could feel myself falling asleep.

"But Pony, tell Two-Bit that this bet isn't over."

Pony laughs, as he starts walking out the door.

"Sure thing, JT," he says. "But one more thing..."

"Yeah?"

"Do you really love my stupid face?" he asks with a smile.

"Of course I do, Pony. Who couldn't?"

I hear him let out a soft laugh as he walks out the room.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

303K 18.2K 40
You live in a different time zone Think I know what this is It's just the time's wrong
4.8K 77 15
Tom riddle has joined Hogwarts he is in 2nd year and doesn't know what the future holds. He hopes it will contain a beautiful kind intelligent girl n...
225K 5.4K 63
Teen Wolf Liam Dunbar and X-reader love. (This takes place after Liam was bitten.) Enjoy!
120K 3.1K 11
Second Book of His Glue!! Escaping the Maze was difficult, but surviving the Scorch will be nearly impossible. And with W.I.C.K.E.D after you, stayi...