Emotionally Incapable (Third...

By kryzme

Christine is engaged, but not to her true love. Her true love left 2 years ago to pursue his dream of traveli... More

Emotionally Incapable (Third Book to Politically Incorrect)
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14

Chapter 8

475 27 1
By kryzme

Long awaited. Longer chapter. Mostly just Katie and Fiore. Enjoy!

_______________________________________________________

Katie

I was pretty shocked to see Lana at the party, even if it was in a wheelchair, but I took the opportunity to try and get to know my employers a little better. It did seem like a strange situation to put myself into at first, but then I realized just how wonderful and easy-going they both were. "Are you excited to get working with Guili? I'm warning you, she's really a handful." Lana said, her kind eyes set on me. Ian was seated beside her on the couch, and I was on the loveseat beside them with Chad.

"Oh yes, I can't wait to be honest. I love working with children, and to think that you hired me for this position is beyond what I even expected." I replied. I nearly jumped as I felt Chad's arm snake around my waist as he pulled me to sit closer to him. My eyes widened. I was sure it was inappropriate to act this way in front of my employers, right? They didn't seem to mind though, and Chad certainly wasn't letting me go anywhere.

"Well, I'm very happy to have found someone as qualified as you. Your previous experience working with children is extensive and I can tell Guili already adores you." Lana said, with a kind smile which I returned.

I was so surprised at her warm demeanor, thinking back on all the events she'd witnessed and been through. I couldn't imagine being Lana. She had to be a very strong person to still be as confident and thoughtful as she seemed. "I'm honored that you all trust me enough for this position." I replied, still not feeling too comfortable to say really just how much I respected and idolized her. After about another twenty minutes, Ian convinced Lana that he should take her home to rest. She begrudgingly agreed and indicated for me to learn over to give a hug goodbye. As I leaned over I heard her whisper into my ear, "Take care of Chad. He's special to us all." She pulled back to see my slightly shocked expression and winked at me before heading out with Ian. Chad went to walk them out and I stayed to wait on the couch, still reeling at the situation I was in. I was shortly joined by Fiore and I felt my entire body stiffen at the sudden cold tension that was present.

After about a minute of silence between us, without moving her gaze from the party-goers, she spoke. "So, you think you're actually good enough for Chad?"

Her question shocked me. Was this what Greg, Ian, and Chad had meant when they said that Fiore had tests for me? What did she expect me to say? No? "Um...yes?" I replied, slightly hesitantly. I was nervous, and I could tell she knew it.

"Is that a question?" Fiore asked, an eyebrow raised, still not bothering to even look directly at me. I felt a low bubbling rage at the pit of my stomach flowing over the nervous feeling.

"Listen," I began, attempting to control my wavering voice, "I understand that you care about Chad, but so do I. We've only been on one date, so I don't know much about him, or where this is going, but I know he's wonderful, that I like him, and that I'm definitely good enough for anyone."

"Good enough for anyone?" She said, lips pursed, her body set in a confident and perfect state of posture as she continued, turning her gaze to me finally. I held her gaze, somehow knowing that looking away would be a mistake. "Somehow, I doubt that. If he falls for you, and you think this is a chance to make it with someone rich, I suggest you forget you ever met him or this family. You may work for Lana and Ian now, but I can promise you, you're better off finding another employer than having me as an enemy. Or maybe, you've forgotten about your brother's gambling debt? The debt you took on yourself? How's paying that back going by the way?" She spoke so nonchalantly about my past burdens. Almost as if she were discussing the weather.

I felt myself starting to shake. Not in fear as I originally felt I would feel around Fiore, but in anger. How dare she bring that up? And when did she dig up information on me? Yes, my brother had gotten himself in trouble. Yes, I'd taken it upon myself to dig him out. No, I didn't like to revisit that. I took a deep breath before replying. "I'd never stoop so low as to be with anyone for something so dirty as money." I paused to take another breath to calm myself. "You can say whatever you want about my past, but that's just what it is. My past, and it's shaped me into the person I am today, which I'm pretty proud of." I stood, feeling my legs shake like jelly. "Thank you for inviting me to your party." I said as politely as possible, going to leave, but Fiore stood in front of me. Close enough so that only I could hear her whisper despite the loud music.

"Even proud of those pictures your ex shared with his friends?" My mouth went dry. The memory caused tears to prickle at my eyes but I held them back. I would never let anyone see me cry. How did she even get those? I thought I had put all of that behind me.

"I may not be proud of things that happened in the past, but I am proud of the way I handle it today." I said, meeting Fiore's gaze head on. She measured me for a moment, before linking her arm with mine at the elbow and basically dragging me to a different room. "Wh-..." I started.

"Come with me. If you enjoy Chad's company there are a few things you'll want to know." We were suddenly in a study, Fiore closing the door behind her. I looked around for a moment as Fiore opened a globe on the desk revealing what looked like very expensive liquor.

"Twenty year old scotch." Fiore elucidated, not watching me as she poured two glasses. She set the drink on the table in front of me. "Don't take it just yet." She warned, taking a small sip before she continued, savoring the taste. "You may or may not be good for Chad," She began, looking back to me, her probing gaze set on me. "That is my biggest concern. As you might have noticed, I'm a little protective over people I care about. Especially new people. Don't take offense to it. Be honored if anything." I held back a snort at that, but if I really thought about it, it did make sense. She wouldn't have gone through all of that if she didn't think that it was important. "It means that I know enough about you to buy your silence if you were to try to extort Chad or hurt him." She paused and I waited patiently for her to continue, knowing she had more to say. I felt her watching, probing and gauging my reaction. I held onto an expression as impassive as possible, feeling my anger melting. Now I was more curious than anything, feeling my expression take on a more inquisitive fashion. "The reason I've invited you here is simply to have a real conversation. I want you to understand who I am and why you are on my radar. I haven't decided if I like you yet or not, but as I was throwing your skeletons out for anyone to hear, you didn't start name calling." A small smile tugged at the corner of Fiore's lips as she moved and leaned back against the desk, taking another sip. "You kept your cool, and you haven't attacked me. I'm an easy person to anger. I'm also an easy person to attack. That you didn't, shows some sense, some class, or some stupidity. I don't believe it's that latter, but I've been wrong before." Another sip, her eyes staying on me. I waited. "I'm not someone you want to be your enemy. Even if I don't like you personally, I can be an ally if you are someone worth forming an alliance to. I am not a nice person. I'm sure you're familiar with my title. Aren't you?" She cocked an eyebrow and I cocked mine in response.

"Of course. I did my research before applying for the position." I was still curious as to where this conversation was leading. I couldn't quite figure out if I was on her good side yet or bad side, but I was guessing it was somewhere in a neutral zone at the moment.

"What is my title?" Her tone was cool, but demanded an answer.

"Royal attack dog, as I hear it." I replied, keeping my voice strong.

"Precisely, and what does an attack dog do?" I fought the urge to roll my eyes. I felt like a child being scolded.

"I understand. You protect them, and I respect that. But all I can really do is assure you that I'm not here to hurt anyone. I love my new job, and I wasn't intending on seeing anyone. I'm glad Chad asked me to go out with him. I was hesitant, but I'm glad because he's wonderful and if I'm being honest. I'm more afraid of him hurting me."

Fiore watched me for a moment. "If you cross me, if you do something stupid like cheat on him. If you do anything that harms those children, even accidentally, well, you've met His Majesty I assume. Though, I imagine you've never seen him angry, am I right?"

"Like I said, I respect what you do. But all I can do is assure you that you have nothing to worry about with me. I already love that little girl, and I would protect her as my own. Also, I have no wishes to be met with an angry king. You're right that I've never seen him angry, and hope I never have to experience that."

"Pray that you don't. I have seen him truly angry four times. Three of those times that anger was at least partially directed at me. His fury is hot anger. He'll burn for a while, but eventually he calms down. I have cold anger. I do not forget, I do not forgive, and I do not offer second chances. This is me telling you what you will experience if you are careless with anyone I care about. Now about that drink." She indicated to the glass in front of me, and I shifted my gaze between her and the glass. What about the drink? Was this a game or something? "You say I have nothing to worry about with you. But that is simply not true. You weren't raised in the hostile world you have not entered. You seem mild mannered enough, but if I can find your secrets, so can others. If you understand the responsibility thrust upon your shoulders and you feel you're up for the challenge, you're welcome to take that glass. If you aren't, I won't harass you, but I will do everything in my power to poison Chad against you. Because if you are not up for that task, you are not good enough for him, and you are not worthy to be with him. Think for a moment and make your choice." Fiore took another sip and watched me carefully, waiting.

I took a moment to think, not more than two seconds. Was I willing to put everything on the line for this to work? Did I want to enter into this? The answer was easy for me.

"To your health," I said, slightly raising the glass before putting it to my lips. The scotch was smooth and I felt it warm me to my toes. Fiore smiled and indicated for me to follow her once more, holding her arm out for me to take it.

I knew this didn't mean she liked me, or trusted me, but that I was at least more welcome than before. I had passed some sort of preemptive test. I took her arm and we walked back out to the party, still in full swing as if nothing had happened. For me, however, everything was suddenly different. Everything looked different. I spotted Chad heading for us, and Fiore whispered to me. "Mind if I steal the boy for a dance?"

I knew she wasn't really asking for permission, but rather telling me she was going to dance with Chad regardless. I nodded and she released my arm. I felt heavy, and was actually glad for the break from Chad for even a moment to recollect my thoughts and absorb what I had just agreed to. Chad watched me questioningly. He was asking if I was okay, and I smiled in response. In truth, I was perfectly okay. I was more aware of his world now, and that was something to be thankful to Fiore for. I knew what I would be up against. She was right. If she could find those things, others could as well. I had to be strong like her, like Lana. There wasn't time for weakness, hiding, or tears. I may not have liked what she did at the time, but it was necessary, and for that I respected her more.

"Come Chaddy, I'm far too sober and need a dance," Fiore smiled, dragging him to the dance floor. I moved over to join Greg and Eliza, deep in conversation.

"Okay, what happened?" I asked noticing the worried look on Greg's face.

"I should ask you the same, your face looks pale." Greg said.

"Just had a chat with Fiore." Eliza's eyes flashed.

"What did she do to you?" She asked, angrily, but I waved my hands for her to forget it.

"It's nothing to worry about. She's just protective of Chad and made sure I knew that. Same as you would to anyone else for me, Eliza." She calmed a little, but I could still tell she was worried about me.

"You can tell me if she said anything that you didn't like, Katie. I know how she can be. Believe me. I didn't exactly get the warmest of reactions when I left. Christine is like a sister to her." Greg explained, putting an arm over my shoulder, making me laugh.

"No, it's all right. I'm perfectly fine." I had been a little shaky, but this scotch was definitely helping me loosen up. I could tell Greg didn't fully believe me, so I kept his arm around my shoulder and put his other arm over Eliza.

"Look at this. Two beautiful women just for me." We both laughed and I changed the subject.

"So what were you all just worrying about over here?" I asked and Greg groaned.

"Christine's fiancé showed up after all. They're over there dancing," He indicated with his eyes and I snuck a glance at the dancing couple. Christine was laughing, but I did catch her continuous glances in Greg's direction. Hmm...

"I don't know Greg. Maybe I'm just reading into things, but she does keep looking over at you. I don't know what it means, but she wouldn't be doing that for no reason." His gaze moved back over to her and I can tell when their gazes met. The way he watched her was intense. I felt as if I was invading. He broke the gaze before she did and pulled us away.

"The plan is shot for tonight. Let's just have fun, shall we?" He said with a broad smile. I wondered if he knew that I could still see the pain just below the surface.

______________________________________________________

Hope you enjoyed!!!!! Vote and comment :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

123K 6.8K 22
One lucky girl is going to become royalty. She's prepared to fight the competition for her prince's heart, if only she could stay out of trouble lon...
1.7K 165 25
A story of a princess who is too proud of her status and commander who is in love with her. She broke his heart 6 years ago and he promised himself t...
161 4 6
She just wants the best for him, as his friend. She would give up anything for him, as he would do the same. They would give up their souls for each...
16.7K 627 32
Keira has accepted Alex's proposal and she's ready to move on with her life. She has never been eager to become royalty, but she is willing to do wha...