Change Your Life (The Outside...

By unstoppable35

Jane Taylor, JT for short, has always been a spoiled kid. She's one of the most popular girls in school. She'... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13

Chapter 6

5.3K 131 199
By unstoppable35

Chapter 6

I finally got over feeling sick. No one was convinced I felt better, except for Ponyboy. He probably thinks I'm annoying because I talk so much when I'm sick. But he laughs it off and allows me to be that way.

Darry was the one who was least convinced, simply because I looked as bad as I had felt before. He said I still felt warm with a fever. I blamed it on being in bed for the past two days.

But now I'm perfectly fine! I guess now I can mark off "Get sick while in the 1960's" off my non-existing bucket list. I should really make one now. But I don't have time. I'm always up and about whether it's hanging out or going somewhere with the boys. We're always busy.

I still haven't seen Dally lately. That kind of worries me too. He's always up to something. He could be anywhere. I guess we'll hear out of him soon. He's just missing in action.

Ponyboy and I walk up to his house, seeing everyone there. They're all hanging around asking each other what they should do.

"Where've you two been?" Darry asks, being cautious as usual.

"Just walking," I answer. Usually, he lets Pony get away with stuff if I answer. I guess he doesn't want to be "rude" to me. I could honestly care less if he got onto me or not. Someone's gotta set the limits.

"Well alright..."

"Hey, watch this," Steve says. He climbs onto the hood of an older car and does a front flip. He lands perfectly on his feet but soon tumbles onto the grass. He starts laughing as he jumps up. We all can't help but laugh at the guy. He was just that ignorant to try that and land on a hill.

"That works out for you, man," Soda tells him. Steve playfully pushes him. They begin to wrestle on the ground just being stupid, as usual.

I look to my left as someone walks up to us. What do you know? Dally is officially still on the planet. He nods as he sees us.

"Hey, man. Where you been?" Two-Bit asks him.

"Oh, you know. Around," he replies cooly. "The cops talking to me a lot. You know how they are."

"Yeah. Only 'cause of that record of yours," I tell him.

"You know it."

"Look, what's everyone doing?" Soda asks. "I don't wanna just stand here all night."

"I don't know, little buddy," Darry answers.

"Find a party or somethin'," Steve says.

"No, no, no. You got a broad with you. She ain't gonna wanna be around that kinda stuff," Dally says, sticking up for me.

"The best I can think of is go cause some trouble," Ponyboy says. I can't help but laugh to myself. These boys live for making trouble!

"Drive-in?" Johnny asks. They all nod and agree.

"Yeah, c'mon. It's getting dark anyway," Dallas says. The eight of us begin walking. I'm not sure if everyone is 100% up for actually sitting and watching something. I'm pretty sure they're all gonna cause trouble. I probably won't. What's the point? I'm not like all of them. I sure ain't a boy looking for harmless fun, that's for sure.

Of course Dally sneaks in under the fence. He hates doing things the legal way. He's just so stubborn to do things the right way. It's like some sort of voice telling him to just do everything illegal. I guess he does it for kicks. I don't really know.

First things first, Steve and Soda offer to go get drinks and popcorn. A few of us actually settle down in a seat to actually watch the movie. I know Dally is about to be up to something. But why am I so concerned about him doing something? I guess I want him out of trouble. At least someone cares about him...

Two-Bit wanders somewhere while he's drunk, taking a bottle with him. Pony told me Soda gets drunk on just plain living. Two-Bit, however, gets drunk on just plain alcohol. That boy will get drunk every second of his life if he could. But I hear his laugh, even from all the way over here.

I barely sip on my Coke, not feeling interested in it. I'm too busy in my thoughts. There's so much I want to think about. But I don't have too much time to think about it. I'm always doing something. It's okay and all but I feel like I need a break sometimes.

I notice it's who I expected to stay. Darry, Johnny, Ponyboy, and me. I know Soda can't sit still for five minutes. So he and Steve probably went to cause mayhem with Two-Bit. But Darry doesn't seem all too interested either. He's looking around to see who's here. Maybe he's hoping we won't get jumped. I hope the same thing. Maybe all of us do.

"Alright grease!" someone yells in my ear, grabbing my shoulders. I jump and almost scream as Dally laughs. I turn around and punch him as hard as I can in the shoulder. He continues to laugh as he rubs the spot.

"I hate you!" I tell him.

"I'm sorry. I had to," he answers.

"You say that every time," I mumble. I lean back in my chair and fold my arms across my chest.

"What was that for?" Johnny asks.

"I don't know, man," Dally says.

"You're gonna make her a nervous wreck, Dal. Cut it out."

"Yeah, yeah..."

"Where've you been? Or do I wanna know?" Darry asks.

"I caught up with some guys from the jail. Man, they said there's gonna be a fight here tonight."

"We better not stick around then," Ponyboy says. "I ain't looking for no police trouble."

"I'm definitely not," I add.

"But between who?" Johnny asks.

"Some socs again. Not sure why but it's probably a good reason."

"Well Two-Bit and Johnny have a blade. Maybe we won't get caught up in the fight," Darry says. Dally shrugs. Great...

"Now why don't you sit down instead of causing trouble?" I ask Dally. He does and leans up to me as to not be too loud, (Since when does he care?).

"My middle name is trouble," he says.

"Gotcha," I answer sarcastically. I go back to watching the movie as Dally kicks his feet up on my chair. He's probably doing it to bother me and all but I ignore the fact he's doing it. All he wants is for me to react. I don't even care though.

For some weird reason, I get to thinking about how the prices are around here. It's like paying pocket change to see a movie now. Yet in the future it's like eight to ten dollars for a ticket. I'm not sure why I'm even thinking about it. It's just strange.

"Looks like they're getting started," Ponyboy says, looking past me. I turn my head to look in the direction he is. It looks like some socs and other greasers are figuring their odds by staring each other down.

"We better beat it then," Darry says.

"I'll take JT and go round up the others," Dally suggests.

"Alright. Pony, Johnny, let's go on this way." They get up and follow him. Dallas and I begin walking to find the other three.

"Volunteered me pretty quick, didn't you?" I ask him. He shrugs.

"They listen to you better."

"Really?" I ask.

"Yeah. Haven't you noticed that? If you asked them to kill someone, they might actually do it."

"That may or may not be a good thing," I answer. "But you're the only exception, right? You don't listen to anyone."

"Got that right. I make my own rules."

We find the others standing around and making trouble, just as I expected. They see us and immediately begin to have puzzled looks on their faces.

"Darry said we're beating it outta here," Dally tells them.

"Why? What's going on?" Soda asks.

"Think there's gonna be a fight. He's probably just trying to be safe."

"Well yeah. He doesn't want to have to put me and Pony in a boys' home."

"And neither do we," I tell him. "C'mon. Let's get going before he thinks we ran away."

"Alright, alright," Steve says. Two-Bit is still engaged in a conversation. I walk over to get him. He's leaned over a rolled down window.

"Hey, JT," he slurs with a laugh.

"We're leaving," I tell him.

"Who's the broad you got there?" the person in the car asks.

"A friend of mine. Ain't you, JT?" Two-Bit says.

"Yeah. Now c'mon. I ain't waiting around for this fight." He finally tells the guy goodbye and follows me to meet up with the others. I walk beside Dally again as we meet up with Darry.

"I told you they listen," he says.

"I guess so," I answer.

We all begin walking away from the drive-in. The air feels really cold all of a sudden. I can't stop trembling from the freezing wind. It's like nature itself feels the tension and the fight coming on, if there even is one.

Soda gives me his plaid button-up shirt he had on over a t-shirt. I'm about to hand it back but he refuses to take it. I slip it on, immediately feeling better.

I stop as I hear yelling in the distance. It's getting louder somehow. They all stare at me as I fall behind the rest of them, trying to figure it out.

"What's that sound?" Steve asks.

"I don't know, man. Just stay cool," Soda tells him. I'm assuming it's the big fight they were talking about. I guess they weren't kidding. We continue walking until we see a huge group of people fighting just outside the fenced area of the drive in. The odds aren't even fair. I count at least ten socs against five or six greasers. Tough guys like them can fight. But when you're outnumbered, your odds aren't the best.

"They're gonna kill 'em if they aren't fighting fair," Two-Bit points out. And he's right. If a blade is pulled, someone's gonna get hurt.

"What should we do?" I ask.

"We know they ain't gonna fight fair. And no doubt they're drunk," Steve says.

"I can't say nothin' about being drunk," Two-Bit laughs, taking another drink from the bottle and throwing it on the ground.

"If it's fight they want, it's a damn fight they'll have," Dally says. Oh no.

"I really didn't want this to happen..." Darry mumbles. "Pony, you ain't getting in this fight. If you get hurt or the cops come and put you in a boys' home, I wouldn't ever forgive myself."

"C'mon Darry! I just-"

"No, Pony. Stay here with JT. I don't want y'all in this, you hear?" Darry walks away with the rest of the gang, except for Johnny. He stays with us. I know the boys wouldn't pressure him to fight, since he pretty much fights with his parents everyday.

"Ponyboy, I don't like this. Those look like the same guys that got ahold of me last time..." I tell him. Even with Soda's shirt on, I shiver. I am scared. Really scared. To think that the boys are basically risking their life during every fight, it worries me more than anything.

Keeping my distance, I watch as Dally, Darry, Soda, Steve, and a very drunken Two-Bit join the fight. Before I know it, punches were being thrown. With the socs being outnumbered now, they don't stand a chance. I say a silent prayer that they wouldn't pull out any blades.

Curses are being shouted everywhere, and I hold by breath. Everything seems so surreal. I didn't see fights like this back at home.

"Well, well, well. Did y'all not want to join the fight?"

My heart stops.

Me, Pony, and Johnny turn to see six socs, all drunk as well.

"C'mon guys, we aren't looking for a fight. Leave us alone," Pony says. The socs smell of alcohol.

"That's the problem though, greasers. We are."

The socs are all over us in an instant. Before we even have a chance to run, two socs were on each of us.

"Don't hurt her! Don't you even try!"

Pony screams as he is pushed on the ground. Johnny is paralyzed with fear. One soc grabs the back of my hair and pushes me forward. I land on the ground, face first, and they kick me multiple times.

Pain and fear sweep through me all at once.

"Isn't it a shame that such a pretty girl is such a piece of trash?" one soc asks. I can't stand to look up and see what was happening to Pony and Johnny. I could hear curses and painful groans from everywhere. Pony still struggles as he hollers for Darry.

"I'm gonna die," I think to myself. "They can't save me this time. They can barely save themselves."

One soc yanks me up from the ground, and brings me face to face with him. His horrible breath fills my nostrils, and I think I'm going to pass out just from that alone.

"You know, I usually don't beat up girls. But you aren't a girl. You're a greaser." And with one quick motion of his fist, I'm slammed back into the ground. The taste of blood fills my mouth, and I slowly fall into blackness.

•••

"No, no! Don't touch me! Get away!"

"JT! It's alright. It's just us..."

I quickly open my eyes and look around the room. Sweat rolls down my face as I breathe heavily. My head pounds from the sound of my own screaming. What happened?

"You were dreaming again," Soda tells me quietly. The whole gang is spread out in the floor and on furniture like this was a make-shift hospital. I feel like I need to be in one. I'm hurting so much...

"I guess we should've just kept going," Darry says.

"No way. Can't just leave someone for themselves," Two-Bit argues.

"Yeah. How do you think you ended up with your bad luck charm?" I ask, referring to myself.

"You ain't bad luck, JT." I scoff at Two-Bit's attempt to make me feel better.

I notice everyone's cleaning cuts or examining the damage caused. I feel terrible. But my main concern is Johnny. He's got it bad anywhere he goes. I don't want him to get hurt for anything. He's too special to all of us...

I swallow and close my eyes again. Visions of my nightmare come back to haunt me. Ever since I've been here, I have no peaceful dreams. Maybe it's a part of it. But I don't like it one bit. It scares me more than being jumped by some socs.

"You know they made you pass out cold?" Ponyboy tells me.

"Don't remind me..." I mumble. My cheeks hurt as a reminder to the times my face hit the rough ground. My stomach churns and cramps as a reminder of the hard kicks I took to my abdomen. I ain't ever gonna look or even feel the same.

"And all we did was go to the drive-in," Steve comments. We laugh what we can manage without it being painful. I know the boys had to have had it worse than I did. But still. Whoever beat on me is sick. You never should hit a girl. There's no sense in it!

I realize one person is missing from the room. Guess who...?

"Where's Dally?" I ask.

"He went off on his own after the socs left. He got pissed when he found you out cold," Two-Bit says.

"Do you have any idea?"

"None of us do. He'll probably show up later," he answers.

I think about that as I bite my lip. I grimace at the pain and taste. Some moron busted up my lip real good. I feel the split skin with my tongue, tasting a metallic flavor I've come to despise. But Dally got mad at the fact I was out? But why? He's Dallas Winston for crying out loud. He's to himself, a loner, and he doesn't really care about people. But there's an exception- Johnny. He doesn't tell anyone, and he doesn't have to. I just know. It's plainly obvious without reading the book. But still. Why would he get mad over me?

After a while, everyone falls asleep just discussing how they'll get even with those socs one of these days. I feel my eyes getting heavier as my head starts to lean towards Two-Bit's shoulder. I don't even care whose it is. I'm exhausted and hurting. But a light squeaking sound from the front door wakes me up.

I see Dally's figure in the doorway. He motions for me to come to him. I slowly and reluctantly get up and limp towards him. I check the clock on the way. It's about one in the morning. I really need to get some shut eye.

We step outside as he places his index finger to his lips, motioning for me to stay quiet. He begins pacing a little as if he's still mad.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

"I don't know, man. I'm just mad, alright? I figured I could just talk to you or something," he says hastily.

"Alright then, let's talk." I sit on the step, patting the space beside me. He stops pacing and stares at me for a minute before giving in to my request.

He lights a cigarette and blows a long puff of smoke. "Where did you go?" I ask.

"Just away."

"Why?"

"I was mad..."

"About?"

"You ask a lot of questions, JT," he says. I smile to myself.

"Sorry," I apologize. "But Two-Bit said you were mad."

"Yeah, I was 'cause some damn soc almost killed you. They were close and could've if they wanted. I ain't about to let something good get away from us like that, you know?"

"What do you mean 'something good'?" I ask.

"Man, you're like a strengthener for us. When I knew y'all were getting beat, I got mad 'cause I couldn't get over there in time to help."

"Thanks, Dally, I guess. I mean, no one never had to stick up for me like that, really."

"Yeah. And besides, what bastard hits a girl? I'm gonna make it my personal business to hurt whoever did that to you."

"I'm fine, Dally. You don't have to do that. You'll just get hurt."

"So what? I like a good fight," he says. I kind of laugh.

"Of course you do."

"But listen. If you tell anyone about this, I'll never hear the end of it," he says.

"Oh, you just don't want to damage your little rep you got there."

"Yeah. But it's just that... I don't do this kind of stuff."

"I gotcha," I answer. "I'm sorry I was hostile before."

"I don't care. I like fiery," he says with a wink. I laugh quietly and push him. He sways back over into me and bumps me.

"Why are you always getting in trouble?" I ask. He shrugs and blows out more smoke.

"I don't know. I just do."

"Uh-huh," I say sarcastically. I rub my forehead with my hand.

"Are you alright?"

"Not really. Them socs got me pretty good."

"I'll find them one of these days. Don't worry about it," he says. I look at the stars for a moment before I begin to fall asleep. My head leans on his shoulder as I drift off into a dreamless sleep.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

247K 7.8K 175
What if a Pokémon Trainer found herself in the world of One Piece? What if she found herself with the Strawhat Pirates? What if she finds herself get...
120K 3.1K 11
Second Book of His Glue!! Escaping the Maze was difficult, but surviving the Scorch will be nearly impossible. And with W.I.C.K.E.D after you, stayi...
662K 16.3K 27
Y/N L/N and her mom are moving to Avonlea after her father had passed away. When she arrives her whole life will change, starting with the boy she fe...
95.2K 1.8K 26
[Completed] "Eddie... you don't have to do this!" "Y/N.. Float With Me.." - - - 🎈 a story of risks, horror and a touch of romance, Hope you enjoy 🎈...