Change Your Life (The Outside...

By unstoppable35

Jane Taylor, JT for short, has always been a spoiled kid. She's one of the most popular girls in school. She'... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13

Chapter 5

4.9K 131 81
By unstoppable35

Chapter 5

They eventually found out about my injuries. It's kinda hard to hide blood soaked bandages. I had shrugged it off, saying it wasn't anything to worry about. They didn't believe me.

"Alright, alright," Johnny says. "Me, Pony, and JT went to my house. The ol' man came out and threw a bottle."

"I'm fine. It ain't hurting," I tell them.

"You all better be more careful next time, you hear?" Darry asks. We nod.

"I'm real sorry," Johnny says. Darry shakes his head.

"It ain't your fault."

Two-Bit grabs Johnny from behind and holds him in a headlock, rubbing his hair.

"You know we love you, man!" he says. Johnny shows a rare smile and pushes Two-Bit away.

"Yeah, yeah. I'm gonna get out of here. See y'all later," Johnny says. He walks out, the screen door slamming behind him. He leaves to who knows where? Johnny just roams where there's safety. I couldn't blame him. After that bottle cut up my back, he'd be scared it'll be him next. I'm sure he thinks that now.

We all begin to turn in. Again I begin to wonder where Dally went to. He's always up to know good. Hopefully he won't be in too much heat with the cops.

I lie down in my own bed, hearing the noise subside from other rooms. I'm guessing the others ain't gonna leave. They'll just bum around here for a while longer.

The silence is a killer. Sounds of the ticking clock echo in the room. Crickets chirp outside the window. It feels scary. I don't like it.

I sit up and check the time. It's getting pretty late since it's getting closer to eleven o'clock. But the house is pure silence.

I pull on some jeans and Converse, grabbing a thick jacket too. I'll get killed if they figure out I'm sneaking out. But I tiptoe into the other room anyway. I check on the others, pulling blankets up and putting bottles on the floor. I walk out the door and try to avoid it squeaking something awful. I manage so quietly. The air is cold. This could be a bad idea.

I begin the path to the lot. I shove my hands in the pockets of the jacket. I look up from my feet and see Johnny's house. Yellow light glows from the window. Two silhouettes hit at each other. I hear yelling and screaming. Another figure opens the door and runs out. A woman calls behind them: "Get out of here!"

I realize it's Johnny. I stand there, eyes wide and mouth open, as he walks towards me.

"What are you doing here?" he asks.

"Forget about me. Are you alright?"

"No... C'mon. Let's get outta here. Can't stand it anymore," he says. He turns the other way and begins walking hurriedly towards the lot. Once there, he starts a fire and sits on an old car seat. I sit beside him.

"You're out here alone sometimes, aren't you?" I ask. He shrugs.

"Sometimes Pony's with me. I guess it was a stupid thing for me to go home."

"None of this is your fault, you know."

"Whatever. I'm always my parents' problems," he says bitterly.

"Just because they said it, doesn't mean it's true. They're drunks and abusive, Johnny."

"I know, I know..." He leans back and looks at the stars, blinks slowly, and stares again.

"I wish there was a place with none of this," he says. "No greasers, socs, or problems. It's gotta exist, right?"

"I don't know, Johnny. But if I could find it, me and you would be first to go," I answer.

"Tell me about your folks. What're they like?"

"They don't like me. I don't have brothers or sisters, so they want me to be perfect. Mom and dad fought a lot and tried to make me choose sides. I was stuck in the middle. Mom doesn't talk to me. And dad doesn't like me, and I sure don't like him..."

"Why don't he?" he asks.

"I don't know. That's what I don't get. I'm an alright kid at home. I just got mad at him that one time. And now here I am."

"I think I like it better when I'm getting beat on. At least they know I have feelings to hurt. Sounds like your folks ain't got that," he says.

"Don't say that. You're too good to get beat on."

"So are you. What's a nice girl like you getting all this trouble for? Nothing?"

"Yeah... Nothing," I confirm.

I lean back beside him, feeling the cold air freezing my entire body. I don't mind it though. Being here and talking to Johnny is something I've always wanted to do. Now that I'm here, it's fine.

"Hey, Johnny."

"Yeah?"

"Sometimes, do you ever wonder if when you wake up in the morning, you're actually falling asleep? Then your whole day is a dream. And when you go to sleep at night, you're just waking up. And your dreams are your days," I ask.

"I've never thought about it like that."

"Sometimes I just wonder how we really work."

"If my day was a dream, the pain is awfully real..." he says quietly. I nod gently. The sky is so clear here. Back home, I could never see but a handful of stars. But here, the whole sky is lit up by the twinkling of little lights shining across the black sky. Sometimes, I'd only see a shooting star once in a few months. Now, a few streak across the sky with a blue and white tail behind them.

"Things will get better in the end. If they're aren't better, it's not the end. We could get away somewhere. It'll all change. I like sitting here and talking to you. It's just as good as running away," I tell Johnny.

"I ain't ever heard someone talk like that. Maybe Ponyboy. I guess it feels different because you understand," he says. "But I guess it ain't the end just yet," he adds.

I smile to myself and chuckle. "I guess it ain't, is it Johnny?" I look over and see his smile.

"I guess not."

Clouds quickly begin to cover the sky. Thunder rolls, causing Johnny to open his eyes.

"Guess it's gonna rain," he says.

"Guess so... Should we head home?"

"You can. I'll stay out here."

"What if it rains?" I ask.

"I'll go to Pony's." Thunder sounds again. This time, it brings rain with it. It pours down on both of us, immediately drenching our hair and clothes. The fire begins to hiss and smoke as it smolders.

Johnny and I jump to our feet. I pull my jacket over my head. We begin running and laughing. I look over to him as we hurry home. He's smiling from ear to ear, revealing a glimmer in his dark eyes. He laughs as his long hair falls in his eyes. For the first time since I've been here, he looks like he's having some fun. I guess it doesn't take much for him to enjoy something in his life.

We reach the gate of the Curtis house. He holds the top of the fence and jumps over, landing perfectly on the wet grass. I run through the gate. We get to the porch and quietly sneak back inside. I find a towel for both of us. I come back to hand it to him and find Two-Bit staring at me mischievously.

"Well, well, well. Looks like I caught you sneaking out," he says quietly.

"You better keep your trap shut," I warn. He smirks.

"I will, but you owe me now," he says.

"Fine. Just don't tell anyone, alright?" He nods and tries to sleep again.

Johnny comes back with dry clothes and damp hair. "Think he'll say anything?" I ask him.

He glances at Two-Bit's sleeping figure. "He keeps his word good. He won't say nothing."

"Alright. Goodnight, Johnny," I tell him. He nods.

"Dream about your day," he says, referring to what I had told him earlier. I smile and close the door behind me.

I crawl under the white sheets and close my eyes. I begin to realize that Johnny and I are alike in many ways. We understand each other's feelings. And we know how hard life can get. But I don't have it as bad as he does. I wish it were different.

There's something about him that I feel like I know. He's not tough like Dallas or so outgoing like Soda and Two-Bit. He's just the quiet one with an imagination and a dream. He's just Johnny Cade...

•••

"You're making progress," my teacher says.

"How much?" I ask, kicking my feet up in another desk in her classroom.

"Plenty. As of tonight, you've learned empathy from Johnny, cleverness from Two-Bit, and support of family from all of the boys. What do you have to say?"

"They're people just like anyone else. Perspective is a role to take when being around people. They aren't like the others," I explain.

"Good. I still expect that report done."

"Seriously?"

"Yes! And it seems you've inherited stubbornness and rebellion from someone," she says. I laugh. Probably Dally...

"How's everything at home?" I ask.

"Nobody knows anything. Time is frozen until you learn your lesson."

"What? How?"

"Until you sort out your entire life, nobody but you and I know you're here from the future," she explains. I sigh.

"So you mean... no one knows?" She nods in confirmation. "Man..."

"I understand. But look, it's time for you to go back now. I'll see you soon, Ms. Thompson. Wake up," she says. Her voice begins to sound like someone else's. it sounds familiar, but I don't know who it is!

Her image begins to fade as I call out for her to stay. She leaves too suddenly that I can't ask further questions.

"No!" I repeat. "Don't go!"

The image is black as I call out again. The sound echoes.

"Where are you...?"

•••

"JT? Wake up. I'm right here," a voice says. I open my eyes to quickly close them again. The bright sunlight burns my eyes. I look around the find the source of the voice. It's only Ponyboy.

"Where's she at?" I ask.

"Who?"

"Where is she?!" I ask forcefully again. Ponyboy places a hand on my forehead.

"You're burning up. I ain't no doctor but I think you're sick," he says.

"No I'm not. C'mon Pony. Let me up."

"No way. Hold on a second," he says. He walks out of the room. I turn my head and see him talking to Soda. I can't hear what they're saying. I swallow but only cough since my mouth is dry. I find it a struggle to breathe through my nose. My ears and cheeks feel hot. I guess I am sick.

Soda comes in the room with a cold washcloth. He places it on my forehead. The cold water cools me down tremendously, giving me chills.

"Looks like you've come down with something. You ain't even been here that long to catch something," he says, sitting on the edge of my bed. I furrow my eyebrows at him in concentration. I study his features for a moment before realizing I'm absolutely delirious.

I sit up too quickly. My vision goes black and slowly focuses again. My head feels like a hammer's hitting it. I'm pretty much lightheaded now.

"Just rest, JT. Ponyboy'll be here to take care of you, alright?" he says calmingly. I sink back down onto my pillow and nod. He stands up.

"Thanks," I say weakly.

"Anytime."

After Soda, Steve, and Darry leave for work, Two-Bit walks in. He seems to never leave here. But that's okay. I like his company.

"Looks like the rain got you sick, huh?" he asks. I smile.

"Don't you even start with me," I tell him.

"You don't look too hot."

"Trust me. I don't feel it either."

"Maybe you'll get over it later. I know I do," he says optimistically. "If you need something from me, get someone to holler for me, you hear?"

"Thanks, Two-Bit." He smiles, nods, and leaves my room. After a while, Ponyboy joins my lonesomeness.

"Feeling any better?" he asks.

"I don't know. Haven't figured it out yet."

"Can I do anything to help?"

"I'll let you know if I think of something."

"Alright," he says. He gets up out of the chair and starts to leave.

"Oh, Ponyboy?" He turns around.

"Would you care to read?"

"Which book?" he asks, nodding toward a stack on the shelf.

"Surprise me," I tell him. He picks Charlotte's Web. He shows the faded cover to me.

"Is this alright?"

"Yeah." He sits in the wooden chair and begins to read. I sit up in the bed and listen to every word. His tone captures my attention. After an hour or so, he puts the book down because I talk too much while he reads. My fever has made me borderline-crazy. So we decide to just talk.

Ponyboy feels like family to me now. I guess that's what he's supposed to be while I'm here. They all feel like my brothers I've never had. I guess they've accepted me already.

So far, I feel like I've learned more than what I supposedly have. I guess written summaries, statistics, or any of that stuff matters. I know who I am and who they are. I know how I feel and why I do. In the end, I know my trust in these boys will mean everything.

But will I go back home or stay here...?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

303K 18.2K 40
You live in a different time zone Think I know what this is It's just the time's wrong
74K 2K 29
A little AU where Lucifer and Alastor secretly loves eachother and doesn't tell anyone about it, and also Alastor has a secret identity no one else k...
225K 5.4K 63
Teen Wolf Liam Dunbar and X-reader love. (This takes place after Liam was bitten.) Enjoy!
139K 3.2K 58
imagines as taylor swift as your mom and travis kelce as your dad