Change Your Life (The Outside...

By unstoppable35

Jane Taylor, JT for short, has always been a spoiled kid. She's one of the most popular girls in school. She'... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13

Chapter 4

5.3K 148 34
By unstoppable35

Chapter 4

"I don't know which one you want," Soda says, pointing to the untouched closet. I stare at the pretty simple dresses. I turn and face him to see a bittersweet smile on his face. This must be hard for him, seeing his mother's things.

"Thanks," I tell him. He nods and walks out of the room. I choose an army green dress with a three-quarter length sleeved sweater. The skirt is a plaid design. After I change, I pin my hair back like I've seen done from girls on the streets. I put on a flat pair of shoes and glance into a dusty mirror. I look like a soc. But it's just for a short time. I think it's kind of funny.

I step out of the room and notice that everyone but the Curtis brothers left. All eyes fall on me. The three look at me in awe.

"I feel like a soc," I complain to lighten the mood.

"She looks like mom, Darry," Soda says quietly. "What do you think about that, Ponyboy?"

"Wow..." he answers quietly.

"Does anyone else feel like I'm some sort of undercover worker?" I ask. They can't help but smile.

"Yeah. But we need to hurry up and get going," Darry says. He hands me a folded piece of paper and some money. "Dally will walk with you, by the way. Thanks, JT," he says. Then he nods to Soda. "Let's get going, little buddy. We'll be late."

Soda messes with Pony's hair and waves to me. He leaves and the door slams behind him. Ponyboy grabs a comb to fix his hair.

"I hate when he does that..." he mumbles.

"So... What are you gonna do while I'm gone?" I ask.

"I'll probably go find Johnny or somethin'. You remind me of my mom," he adds randomly.

"Do I really?" I look down at the skirt, holding the material in my fingers.

"Yeah. And you do look like a soc. I guess they won't fight with you now," he says. I shrug.

"I guess not. But now I gotta walk with Dally. I know he ain't wanting to do that."

"He might. Dally's a cool guy once you get to know him. He don't care. He's too tough to care," he explains. "Besides, he likes a good fight if he can get himself one."

"And if he's outnumbered?"

"He'll still fight. That's all we do to survive around here. You dig?" I nod. That's a sad thought. They literally have to fight for their lives out here.

"Well, I better get going, Ponyboy. Stay safe, alright?" I tell him.

"Okay. Same to you." I slip the money and paper in the pocket of the dress, (How convenient!), and see Dally leaning against the gate outside. He lights a cigarette and looks up at me.

"Are you just gonna stand there or what?" I ask.

"I guess so," he says.

"I didn't realize you have a staring problem, Dallas." He chuckles.

"Don't get wise, now." I shrug.

"Alright. Let's just this over with. I'm not feeling too got in this dress," I comment.

We begin walking. The sun beats down on my shoulders, making me warmer. I take the thin sweater off to reveal the top half of my arms. I feel weird walking around this side of town with Dally in a dress. But I guess it's not the worst situation I'll ever be in.

"So tell me something about yourself," I say.

"Whoa now. I ain't one for sharing my life's story."

"Why not?"

"Do you really wanna keep up with it?" he asks. He must've been through a lot. I know he's usually in and out of jail for petty things. He's just stupid enough to get caught. But I guess he wants to.

"This is stupid," I say.

"What is?"

"Just all of it."

"I have no idea what you're talking about," he says.

"Ah forget it."

"Look, what about you?" he asks.

"There ain't much to tell. I got kicked out and wandered my way here," I explain.

"What did you get kicked out for?"

"I don't really know. My dad just told me to get out because I argued about a grade in school. He said if I was so sick of living with his rules, then I should just get out. So I did."

"Sounds rough."

"Yeah? Well I'm glad I did."

"My old man doesn't give a hang if I'm dead or in jail somewhere. I don't even know much about him now," Dally says.

"I'm sorry."

"What's to be sorry about? I didn't like the guy anyway."

"You know, you don't seem like a bad kinda guy," I tell him.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"I've heard stories about you. You ain't as mean as they say." He scoffs and makes this ridiculous face.

"Yeah?"

"Yes!" I tell him. "Trust me, that record of yours is probably known in two states over." He's so proud of that thing that it's not even funny.

"Make it quick. I ain't liked much in this part of town," he says.

"Okay. I'll be out in a few minutes. Don't go too far off, okay?"

"Alright, whatever," he says, wandering around.

After making the quickest trip I possibly can, I step outside with a bag hanging on my wrist. I look around for Dally, not having any luck in finding him. I knew it. He's too cool to stick around and help me out.

I start walking alone. I feel a little scared, but I look like a soc so I should be safe, right? Walking about a block alone is something I didn't even want to do. Dally promised he'd stay around.

Then I get a strange feeling. Someone grabs my shoulders from behind and yells in my ear.

"You better watch it!" they yell. I yelp and swing my elbow backwards. "JT!" Dally says. "It was just me!" He holds his stomach in pain.

"Don't you ever do that to me!" I say. He kind of laughs.

"I'm sorry. I had to do it. Here," he says. "This ought to calm your nerves."

"I don't smoke," I tell him.

"Fine then." I feel my heart still racing. He scared me really bad! I was afraid I was about to get jumped again! I'm gonna end up a nervous wreck like Johnny if Dally keeps messing with me like that.

"Where did you even go?" I ask.

"Around. Causing some problem here and there," he answers.

"In ten minutes?"

"I'm Dallas Winston. I'm known for my trouble," he says proudly. I lightly punch his arm.

"You ain't right," I tell him.

We get back to the house. I put the things away quickly and change out of the dress. Dally and I go back outside to find Pony or the others. He probably doesn't feel too comfortable with me right now. I can say the feeling is mutual.

"So you got kicked out right?" he asks.

I nod.

"All I can say is that we're like one big family. I guess you're gonna be a part of it. We're just buddies sticking together."

"So...? What's your point?"

"Just stick with us."

"I can do that," I say.

"Already have been. Look, I'm gonna get out of here. You probably don't wanna be by yourself," he says. I shake my head at him. "Fine. You'll probably find Ponyboy in the lot. See you around, JT." He begins to walk away.

"Hey, Dally." He stops and turns around, beginning to walk backwards.

"What?"

"Don't add any to that record of yours." He laughs.

"I ain't promising on that." He turns around and keeps walking away. I watch his silhouette disappear around the corner. I find myself thinking about him as I walk to the lot. What is it about Dally that's out of the ordinary? He's tough. That's for sure. But I talked to him about things I'd normally tell a friend. I guess that's what he is now- a friend. Or as he called it, buddies. Maybe I'm influencing him in a good way. I'll probably never know. Dallas Winston is too tuff for feelings.

As I walk down the street on my way to the lot, I start to think of all the things that have happened just these past couple of days. It's amazing to think that I am literally inside a book. It's like something from an episode of a cheesy kid's show, saying some stupid rhyme and then magically jumping into an open book.

Just a few days ago I had been in my own time, at my own house, with my own parents...

My parents. The last time I had even talked to my dad, he told me to get out of the house. My own house! How could he even say that to me? What did I do to deserve it? Kicking your kid out of the house is the worst thing a father could do.

As I came upon the lot, there was Ponyboy and Johnny, like Dally said. They look and nod me over.

"Hey JT!" Ponyboy says as I walk over.

"Hey guys," I answer. I blink back tears that unexpectedly formed when I was thinking about my parents. Even in a fictional world they cause me to get upset. Ha.

I see Johnny giving me a strange look, and then looking over at Pony. Then I realize, I still look like a soc with my hair pinned up.

"Man, Pony, I thought I was seein' your mom for a second." He quietly laughs. There was something about Johnny's laugh. It was one of those things that you rarely heard, but when you did, you couldn't help but smile to yourself.

"We had to have her run to the store dressed up so the socs wouldn't be a bother. Ain't it sad that that's what it's come to these days?" Ponyboy says, taking a drag on his cigarette.

"It sure is," Johnny agrees. "Pony, I gotta get a change of clothes. I've had these on for a few days, tryin' to stay away from my folks, but I don't have a choice anymore. These are gettin' dirty."

Ponyboy nods his head. "Alright. JT, you wanna come?" he asked as they start walking.

"Shoot, does it look like I have anything better to do?"

We soon come up on an old, small house, that I've passed multiple times on my way to the lot and back. Everything seems to be quiet, but with one look at Johnny, fear was written all over his face.

"We're gonna wait for you out here. You need me just holler," Ponyboy says to Johnny. He nods and walks inside.

"He don't like it here much, does he?" I ask Pony.

"Would anybody? I can barely stand to look at the place. I sure couldn't walk in."

Before I could ask what he meant, yelling explodes from the house. Johnny runs from the house, his hands overflowing with clothes. A man is behind him, his face red and a beer bottle in his hand. He grabs Johnny by the back collar of his shirt, and Johnny's head snaps back.

"Boy, I ain't gonna let you come in the house and take my damn clothes!" he yells in Johnny's face. His nose was inches from Johnny's.

"I told you, these ain't your clothes! They're mine! Get your hands off me!" He struggles away from what I guess to be his father. I have never seen someone treat their own son like this.

"Hey, get off of him! He ain't taking your damn clothes, you filthy bastard!" Pony yells.

The man looks up, his black eyes filled with hatred.

It chills me to the bone.

It also gives Johnny enough time to get out if his grip.

"Run!" Ponyboy yells.

We all take off, and just when we thought we were away, I feel a sharp pain in my back, and the sound of glass breaking fills my ears. I continue running, fighting off the pain. My mind races with everything that had just happened, and adrenaline rushes through me.

And it is at this moment that I realize: a father kicking his daughter out of the house was NOT the worst thing a father could do.

Once back at the house, the pain really kicks in. I feel tears burning my eyes. But I can't cry now. I don't want to cry in front of them. It would be too embarrassing. I'm not some weak little kid. I'm not gonna cry.

I feel warm liquid trickling down my lower back. I mumble curse words to myself as I bite my teeth together.

"He didn't hurt you too bad, did he?" Ponyboy asks. I shake my head. He sees the blood on the shirt as I sit down. He walks off to the bathroom and comes back with a first-aid kit.

"JT, I'm real sorry he did that," Johnny apologizes. I shake my head again. I can't seem to get any words out. Ponyboy sits beside me.

"Hold your shirt up," he says. I pull the material halfway up my back. He gets rid of all the blood and cleans the cuts. I help him wrap the bandage around my torso. Johnny watches helplessly, thinking it's his fault.

I go into the other room and change shirts. My back is already sore. Hopefully none of the others will find out. Darry would probably blame Pony for the accident. Nobody would blame Johnny though. They can't get along without him.

"Are you alright?" Pony asks as I come out of the room.

"I'll be fine. Things happen," I reply.

"I'm real sorry, JT," Johnny says again.

"Don't worry about it. I'm sorry for you."

"What? Why?" Johnny asks in shock. He has no idea why I'm apologizing to him.

"You have to live with folks like that. I ain't ever seen something like it before," I tell him.

"Yeah? Well the ol' man can get worse. He doesn't care about me," he says bitterly.

"Let's just forget it for now. He ain't worth my time, that's for sure," Ponyboy says. We both agree with him.

I sit here being as gentle as I can with my back. It hurts really bad. But I managed not to cry. I'm sure they wouldn't care though. I just can't bear it. If I started bawling, I wouldn't have stopped.

I thought my life was terrible. I guess I was wrong. People have it so much worse here. I don't know what I was even complaining about in the first place. No wonder I'm here.

I begin to close my eyes as I lie on my stomach. I try to forget the pain.

"Ever got hurt like that before?" Johnny asks.

"I don't think so..." I answer, mumbling into a pillow.

"You'll be alright," he says. "I promise. He won't do that to you again."

"Thanks, Johnny. And I won't let him do anything else to you again."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

120K 3.1K 11
Second Book of His Glue!! Escaping the Maze was difficult, but surviving the Scorch will be nearly impossible. And with W.I.C.K.E.D after you, stayi...
74.1K 2K 29
A little AU where Lucifer and Alastor secretly loves eachother and doesn't tell anyone about it, and also Alastor has a secret identity no one else k...
139K 3.2K 58
imagines as taylor swift as your mom and travis kelce as your dad
19.6K 410 13
Y/n is John Lennon's younger sister, who's starting to develop a small crush on her best friend George Harrison, who also happens to be one of John's...