Change Your Life (The Outside...

By unstoppable35

Jane Taylor, JT for short, has always been a spoiled kid. She's one of the most popular girls in school. She'... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13

Chapter 3

6.8K 152 110
By unstoppable35

Chapter 3 

"Mornin' JT! Gotta get up!" Soda yells in the doorway.  

"Go away. I don't wanna get up," I mumble. He walks in the room and continually shakes my arm.  

"I know you're tired and all, but you gotta wake up," he says. After non-stop shaking my arm, I playfully hit him and sit up. "There you go!" he says cheerfully.  

"You're gonna get it," I threaten weakly. He smiles and walks out. I get dressed for the day, still feeling weird about this whole situation. But something inside me is saying that this is right and where I belong. Another something is saying it's all wrong and stupid. I wish I knew what I could believe.  

I sit at the table with them. They begin passing around chocolate cake. It seems weird, but I know. (I read the book!) I allow them to explain though. It's kind of a tradition they developed after their parents had died. I feel bad for them. They don't deserve it. None of the others deserve their circumstances either. But sometimes life isn't fair.  

"Did you get any sleep last night?" Soda asks. I feel as if he's the most talkative. I'm not proven wrong yet. 

"Yeah. Thanks for asking," I answer.  

"I've been trying to think about a way to help you out here, JT," Darry speaks up. This is a rare thing for me to feel intimidated. His cold stare makes me wonder what's going on in his mind that causes such a bitter look.  

"What do you mean?" Pony asks.  

"I don't know, but we'll talk about it when we get a chance. Alright?" he says. I nod. What could he mean? He probably wants to get rid of me. I'm an extra mouth to feed, kid to keep up with, and a girl. But I forget about it, not wanting to get my hopes in a bind.  

Soda and Darry yell their goodbyes and leave for work. Pony looks at me and shrugs.  

"It's just me and you again," he says as he picks up the dishes, and we clean them together.  

"It looks like me and you are gonna end up being real close," I tell him.  

"I guess so." 

"You don't talk much, do you?" 

"I don't guess so. I just ain't got much to say. You dig?" he asks.  

"Yeah. I just don't shut up." He grins a little... for once.  

"I don't know what we're gonna do all day," he says.  

"That's alright." I dry my hands on a towel and then shove them in my pockets. I sit on the couch. He sits in the floor across from me and leans against a chair.  

"What do you like to do?" he asks.  

"I like to read and draw sometimes." 

"Do you paint?" 

"Yeah. When I can find the time and stuff for it," I explain.  

"I read too. I bet I've read all the books I have at least twice." 

"What else do you like, Ponyboy?" 

"I like to watch the sun rise and set. I don't tell very many about it. Maybe just Soda and Johnny. And I guess you too. By what it sounds like, you like 'em too," he says.  

"I do. How did you know?" 

"I guessed," he answers honestly. "Anyways, I don't know why I like 'em so much. But there's something by Robert Frost..." 

"Nothing Gold Can Stay," we say simultaneously.  

"I've heard it before," I tell him. He gives a crooked grin, showing off a small dimple in his cheek. "It's a great poem," I add.  

"It is once you think about it. It's not just words you read. It's like a life you live, you know?" he asks. I nod my head. Wow. That was deep. I didn't know he thought about it like that. But I like it. I feel like I could talk to Ponyboy about anything when it came down to it. He understands.  

He pulls a cigarette out of a small carton and lights it up. He takes a long drag and blows out the smoke. It seems weird that he does that in actual reality. But I've got to remember that he's real now. This isn't a fictional world anymore.  

"What's a dream you've had before?" I ask.  

"I have lots of 'em," he says.  

"A good one," I specify.  

"All of us were happy. What about you? A good dream, I mean." 

"Everyone thought I was perfect. I don't know why, but it felt good to think someone said that." 

"Being perfect ain't everything. Having what you need is important," he says. 

"That's true..." 

"But I see what you mean. We all have dreams about being happy for once. Poor Johnny has nobody. We just got each other. We're like a family," he says. 

I think about that. They are a family. Sure they have their problems and differences. But they all look out for each other. Everyone knows everyone, and they care about them. Even if it isn't shown, one way or another it's expressed.  

He puts out his cigarette, grinding it into an ashtray. The smell hasn't bothered me, which is surprising. My dad started smoking years back. And always in front of me, even after I told him to stop.  

The door swings open as someone walks in. "Hey, Ponyboy! Where's your brothers?" he asks.  

"Work. What are you doing out early, Dall?" he asks, standing up and dusting the seat of his pants.  

"Oh you know, good behavior and all," he says. This must be the infamous Dallas Winston. He looks me over with a strange look on his face.  

"Who's the broad you got here?" he says. I stand up.  

"Her name's JT. Found her beat up by some socs. She got lost," he explains for me. Dallas looks me up and down.  

"I wouldn't walk alone around here, sweetheart," he says, taking a drag on his cigarette.  

"I learned that quick enough," I reply. He raises his eyebrows and blows smoke.  

"And uh, what was your name again?" 

"JT," I answer confidently.  

"I'm-" 

"I know who you are, Dallas. You're pretty famous around here, aren't you?" He grins smugly.  

"Got a rep to keep," he says proudly. I just knew that'd get him going. He has such a record to brag about. Everyone knows he's never up to any good. Since when would he be? 

"You dig okay," he tells me. "So where's Johnny or Two-Bit?" 

"I don't know. Haven't seen any of them today," Pony answers. Then he changes the subject as quickly as it was started.  

"Let's get out of here," Dally says. We follow him out the door. The three of us begin walking. To make it weird, I'm right between both of them.  

"If you're gonna be around, you gotta know a few things," Dally tells me.  

"Like what?" I ask.  

"Don't walk alone." 

"That's obvious," I mumble.  

"Try to avoid socs," he adds.  

"Dall, she knows that," Ponyboy tells him. He ignores the comment.  

"Don't get killed," he finishes.  

"Oh, that's nice." 

"Yeah it is," Dally says. "You ain't getting stuck in the ground." Something tells me that Dally and I are going to go at it a lot. We'll probably never see eye to eye. And here Ponyboy is having to listen to all of it. I give him an apologetic look. I don't think he catches it though.  

"You like to get wise, don't you?" he asks me. I shrug my shoulders.  

"Only with you," I tell him. He laughs.  

"I think I'm gonna like having her around, Ponyboy."  

"I hope so 'cause you ain't gonna get rid of me," I tell him.  

"Can't now. Besides, I think we need someone like you around," he says.  

We don't talk after that. There's not much to say. Pony doesn't talk because he has nothing to say. I don't because I just don't want to. And Dally probably wouldn't start the conversation anyway. But I study his appearance. He looks dangerous and tough, scarred and emotionless. But I know, somewhere under that look, he's got a special set of emotional values that no one can define.  

"So JT, tell me about your first meetin' with the socs," Dally says.  

"Fun," I answer sarcastically. I hear Ponyboy stifle a laugh. He quickly regains his serious composure as Dally looks at him.  

"They sure do know how to scare you," I add.  

"Did they pull a blade on you?" he asks. I nod as I remember the cold metal on my jaw. I shudder at the thought.  

I see the same car from the first night cruise down the road. They slow down as the passengers see us.  

"That's them," I announce quietly. Dally and Ponyboy glance casually to remember the car for future reference. 

The car speeds off. I let out the breath I didn't realize I was holding. I stand straighter. I didn't even notice that I was trying to hide my face.  

"Since school's been out, I've seen them everyday," Ponyboy says.  

"They ain't got nothing better to do," Dally says. "But if you're tough, nothing can hurt you." 

"I'll remember that," I tell him.  

After that, Dally went his own way. Pony and I were just left to ourselves. It wasn't necessarily a bad thing. I feel like I'm going to be closest to him, and maybe Johnny, while I'm here. I'm just not like the others. I've got a softer set of values. But I do have a wild, reckless side too. I can talk big and back it up. But that ain't saying much.  

Later that night, the boys decided to show up. It was just a Thursday night. But they always get together whenever they want. And I'm not one for hanging around too long. I eventually find myself reading a copy of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis I found buried in Ponyboy's room.  

I've read it before. It was for the reading class. I didn't enjoy it. But now I find myself bored out of my mind with no other choice but to read. I do like to read, just not this stuff.  

I was already several pages along. Just because I didn't like reading, didn't mean I couldn't read fast. I've already managed to read five chapters without being bothered. But I spoke too soon.  

The door cracks open a little, and Ponyboy looks at me. When he sees that it's... safe to enter, he does so and leans against the door frame, folding his arms across his chest.  

"Soda wanted me to come and get you," he says. I look up from the book.  

"Why?" He shrugs.  

"I don't know. But he told me to get you out of this room." 

"I guess you can tell him it ain't gonna be that easy." He gives another crooked grin and leaves. I smile and begin reading again. Then footsteps come running in the room. I look up and Soda is staring at me from the end of the bed. Ponyboy stands in the doorway.  

"I told him what you said," he tells me.  

"I'm gonna get you out of here one way or another," Soda says. I raise an eyebrow and continue reading. I then feel myself being lifted in the air and over his shoulder. I drop the book and begin laughing and trying to free myself.  

"Put me down!" I whine, hitting him in the back. "Just because I've been here two days, doesn't mean you can do this kind of stuff!" 

"Sure I can," he says. Ponyboy follows behind and gives me a weirded out look.  

"Oh my gosh," I say slowly. "Will someone just help me out here?"  

"What the heck, man? Why are you doing that?" Steve asks him.  

"She was reading instead of hanging out with us," he replies.  

"Couldn't blame her," Ponyboy says. Everyone laughs. I can't help but crack a smile despite my circumstances. Speaking of which... 

"Ahem. Still here," I speak up. Soda finally puts me down. He's already like the playful, full-of-life brother I've never had. I give him a fake irritated glance and sit in the floor by Johnny.  

"Man, you're lucky she didn't kick you. Bet that would've hurt," Steve says.  

"And where would I be kicked?" Soda asks.  

"In something you ain't got," Two-Bit says. I laugh loudly along with everyone else. Soda grabs him and holds him in a headlock. He refuses to call himself out. His face turns red until Darry tells them to knock it off. Two-Bit continues to laugh as Soda punches him in the arm. But he can't hide his smile either.  

As I sit here, I begin to realize that I'm not trying to beat them all out like it's a competition. I realize that I'm actually having fun simply because we're joking around and having a good time. I feel my sides hurting from laughing so much. And they don't seem to mind that I'm even here.  

Normally when I was with friends, I'd have these personal competitions to make me seem better and always first. That's when I began to not invite people over because they always thought they were better than me. I guess I thought I was better than them first. It's just a vicious cycle you can't break. And I'm caught right in the middle.  

I remember how I always wanted to be the best. Secretly, it was for myself. My parents just pushed me too hard. I guess that's why I act so horrible. Or do I even act horrible? Here, I act shy because I don't know these guys personally.  

Anyway, back to pushing myself. I've always somewhat strived to be top dog, number one, the best of the best, and so forth and so on. But can I? I can barely survive a good roughing up. Why do I think I can do all these things? Am I arrogant...? 

"JT, you know how to play poker?" Soda asks, pulling me from my thoughts. I shake my head.  

"Even if I did, I ain't got nothing to bet on," I answer. He shrugs and deals the cards.  

"Whatcha thinking about?" Johnny asks quietly beside me.  

"I don't really know," I answer.  

"You look like you're thinking awful hard." 

"I guess I am." 

"You ain't one for stuff like this, are you?" he asks. I shake my head again.  

"Why do you think I was reading?" He flashes a crooked grin that reminds me of Soda's. But Johnny's is more scared and almost fake. I wouldn't blame him.  

"I think a lot sometimes..." he says. Someone grabs my shoulders from behind and shakes them.  

"You are the quietest one here!" Two-Bit says.  

"Ah, quit messing with her. She ain't been here that long," Ponyboy says.  

"So what, man?" 

"Aw, shut your trap, Two-Bit," he tells him. Two-Bit laughs like it was the funniest thing he's ever heard in his life. He's so full of life, but he's more laid back. He's so funny that he makes himself laugh. I could learn a lot from him. Except for the drinking part. That's all he ever does. But that's okay. He's still a good person regardless.  

After everyone's too tired to stand, they decide to crash here. Some spread out on the floor while others occupy the couch and recliner. I call it a night and go to the room I'm in. Before turning out the lights, I hear a quiet conversation in the kitchen. How can I even hear over the snoring? I listen in through the cracked door.  

"We need to go to the store, but we got work," Darry says. 

"You could send Pony," Soda suggests.  

"No. I don't want him walking alone anymore." 

"They don't trust a hood anymore." 

"None of us don't look like one. Two-Bit'll steal something. Dally'll get in trouble," Darry says.  

"Hmm..." I step out of the room and approach them.  

"I'll do it," I say.  

"I don't think that's too hot of an idea," Soda says.  

"Why not?" I ask.  

"Like I said, they don't trust us," Darry says.  

"What if I didn't look like one?" 

"What the heck are you talking about?" 

"You know, let me dress up so I don't look like a JD!" 

"Yeah, Darry. We could give her one of mom's dresses to use," Sodapop suggests. 

"I don't think so, little buddy. We can just go another time." 

"They won't think twice about some innocent looking girl running errands for her family, now would they?" I ask convincingly.  

"Fine," he gives in. "But you'll be taking someone with you. We'll fix that tomorrow, alright? Now go to sleep you two." 

As we walk to our rooms, Soda pats my shoulder and goes to bed. I climb under the soft covers and turn off the lamp by my bedside.  

Tomorrow I'll actually get to go do something almost independently. Of course I'll have to have someone around in case someone has suspicions. But this is so exciting. I feel like it's a game where I have to be undercover. I guess that's what it really is- a game of undercover.  

I close my eyes and try to sleep away my exhaustion. Tomorrow will be great because it's a new day. Maybe it'll be even better if I can prove I'm not some frilly girl. It'll be the best day if I get to see the morning gold shine in my room...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

33.7K 604 16
Caleb Covington's daughter, Y/N Covington, forced to stay and live out her ghost days at her father's exclusive Hollywood Ghost Club after a tragic '...
139K 3.2K 58
imagines as taylor swift as your mom and travis kelce as your dad
74.3K 2K 29
A little AU where Lucifer and Alastor secretly loves eachother and doesn't tell anyone about it, and also Alastor has a secret identity no one else k...
225K 5.4K 63
Teen Wolf Liam Dunbar and X-reader love. (This takes place after Liam was bitten.) Enjoy!