lovestruck † hs

By the1dfanfics

"Who hurt you so much that you started to hate yourself?" Quickly I change the subject. I am not going to cr... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
The Last Chapter

Chapter 27

2.1K 62 10
By the1dfanfics

Harry's POV

"Miss Edwards, what color would you like your cast?"

As soon as the question comes out of the doctor's mouth, a tight squeeze comes from Rachel's hand to mine, our way of communication, and I can tell she is not happy. I snap my head to hear direction and her eyes are open wide, brows furrowed.

Why would she be upset? It's a simple cast and I'm incredibly relieved. Everything that the doctor has said had my nerves going crazy because we don't know what's wrong with her, but I will continue to blame myself for it. I'm the one who tripped her, what else could have caused this? I'm so pleased to know it's just a cast.

Why isn't she?

I don't get it. I want to, I really do. She's definitely scared of this situation, from the way she fought it with anger when I tried to take her here, the tears she only thought she hid from me, her fear to speak, it's clear. But I don't know why, or what she's exactly scared of. I have no clue why she's acting so unlike herself.

Now I understand what she meant earlier, we don't know enough about each other. One thing I do know, is she doesn't want to tell me a lot of stuff.

My baby girl is quite a mystery.

After a while of silence, waiting for her answer, her small voice finally fills the tiny room. "Sorry sir, but I'm not interested in a cast."

I look at her, wondering where she's coming from with this. Why does she seem to be refusing help?

The doctor turns around, in his eyes I can see he's wondering the same thing as I am. "What do you mean? You need one, dear."

She's quick to reply this time, "Well surely there's something else we can do."

"I'm afraid there isn't, Miss Edwards. With your condition, I'm surprised it's only a cast. I'd expect surgery with a case like yours, but you're one of the lucky ones," he clarifies, as he picks the clipboard up and holds it to his chest.

Rachel surprises me by speaking again in protest. "There's got to be another way--"

"Just listen to the doctor, love," I interject, not wanting her to start a scene.

She pauses, turning to me with annoyance and I only hope she calms down. I meet her blue orbs with sympathy.

"Erm," the doctor speaks up, "I will let the both of you discuss the matter while I file the paperwork. I'll return for the OK, alright?"

The man excuses himself from the room, shutting the door behind him, and I finally get a chance to question my stubborn girl.

I walk to stand in front of her, noticing her eyes are just staring at the wall, a blank expression pasted to her gorgeous face. I wish to know what thoughts are buzzing through that mind of hers.

My hands take hers gently. "Rachel, it's just a cast you know--"

"Exactly Harry. It's a cast. I don't want it," Rachel shakes her head, gaze leaving the wall behind me and seem to be on my shoes.

I take one of my hands to slowly bring up her chin to look me in the eyes.

"There's no need to be scared of it. It'll hurt less and you'll be fine soon enough." Her sadness is coming out more in waves and I just wish she'd talk to me more and tell me why.

"I don't care, I didn't even want to be here in the first place! You knew that! Now I'm wasting my money on something I don't even want, and I honestly don't think I even need this cast."

"I'm paying for this, you don't have to worry, love," I assure her but her facial expression changes and now she seems a little angry.

Her arms cross, "You are not paying for me Harry. I don't like that."

I can tell she's trying to talk about something else, and I chuckle. "Too bad baby, I am paying and you are getting this cast. I want to pay, I did this to you anyway, and I want you to get the help you need."

She opens her mouth like she's about to say something, but closes it quickly, shaking her head. I need to find out what's wrong.

It scares me, not to know what she's feeling, who or what she's angry at. Since the first time she got angry at me I got scared. I don't want her to leave me, I need her to feel okay with me. I can't imagine how pissed she already is because I did this to her, I don't want her to be angry about anything else.

"You can tell me why you're hesitating about this you know."

Before she can answer me though, the doctor comes back in.

"So...do we have an answer?"

I look from the doctor back to her, as she turns her head to face me, eyes  glaring into me with fear. She rolls her sassy eyes and I decide I should just answer for her. The poor doctor is as clueless about her behavior as I am, but I at least have the advantage of knowing her better.

As I turn back to the doctor, I smile politely. "Any color is great, thank you."

After he leaves, Rachel mumbles, thinking I can't hear. "Oh my God. I can't believe this is happening."

When I sit behind her on the chair, she remains still, her hands covering her eyes. It's probably best not to say anything. I take her into my arms, cuddling her, whispering softly into her ear promises that this will all be okay. I hope it's going to be okay.

I hope she is going to be okay.

* * *

It takes merely minutes for the cast to be placed on her little foot, making it appear a lot larger. She doesn't speak, in fact she's practically sleeping with her eyes open. Her arms stay crossed, body completely motionless as she is put in a bright pink colored boot.

Once the doctor is finished, he clears his throat, snatching my attention from her. I hadn't even realized I'd been staring at her the whole time.

"Now don't worry, I know you want to get out of this cast quick, so I have a little plan for you," the doctor begins, getting the both of us interested. I notice her head snap up a little as he continues. "The most you have to wear this boot for is three weeks. I know it sounds like a little amount of time but hear me out. If you wear this and have little to no mobility for at least a week, I think you'll be able to walk again and get back to your routine."

That is music to my ears. It's an incredible thing to hear. If that's what she's worried about, she doesn't have to be. It's only a week, and then she'll get put in an actual boot and walk on her own.

"Did you hear that? That sounds really good," I tell her in her ear, just wanting some reaction out of her. Meanwhile I'm buzzing inside.

"Your foot is strong, being able to hold off for...well how ever long it was injured. Either weeks or months, you're quite a strong young lady, so you should heal faster if you are careful. Your crutches are right there," the man points behind him, all of our gazes following his finger. "I'm happy to have helped you. Hope you listen to what I said, and I'll call in a week for an update to see if I can get you just a regular boot."

I slide off the seat and move to shake his hand.

"Thank you so much, doctor."

He nods with a polite grin, and leaves the room. I turn back around to find Rachel just staring down at her leg hanging from the seat. I manage to move in front of her, between her legs, and gently pull her to my chest, wrapping my arms around her to hold her tight.

"I...you know I just wanted to help you. I'm so sorry, please don't be angry baby. Is it okay, the cast? Are you in more pain?" I'm just trying to be gentle with her, not to make her anymore furious than she already is.

I pull back slightly to look her in the eyes for an answer. Her head slowly tilts up to mine, and I'm surprised when she wraps her little arms around my waist.

"I hate pink," she whispers, a sparkle of amusement in her eyes, and I can't help but smile at the beautiful girl who has forgiven me for the shit I've just put her through.

Rachel's POV

I've been waiting for Harry for a while now in the car. I know he's paying, which I can't believe he's doing. I don't want him to spend on me. I don't care how much money he has, I should be paying for myself.

I'm still mad at Harry for paying and bringing me here in the first place, but not as much I guess. The fact that he seems to be blaming himself for this whole thing when it really isn't his fault makes me feel guilty for being even the slightest bit angry at him.

I also still don't understand how this freaking cast that's as heavy as a concrete block on my foot can help any. And now I have to use crutches? Harry could tell I hated the crutches from the start and wanted to carry me to the car but this cast adds a ton of weight on me, so I was forced to use them. Harry didn't leave my side of course as I could barely keep upright on them.

Once Harry gets back to the car, he sighs, raking the hair away from his eyes before driving us back to his place in silence.

Obviously we take the elevator, Harry's gentle hand resting lightly upon the small of my back to make sure I won't fall.

Damn these crutches hurt your armpits.

Finally when we get to his place, I'm helped through the door, nearly losing my balance. All I do is follow Harry, just unsure of where I'm supposed to go until we finally get to his bedroom. A sense of relief flows through me when I think about just lying on a bed, not having to crutch around.

I thank Harry quietly when he lies me on the bed, moving my legs carefully so I can get comfortable. He sets my purse on the dresser in front of the bed before coming back and climbing onto the mattress, trying not to move it so much.

Our silence isn't awkward, it's comfortable, just admiring the way he rests on his tummy, using his elbows to hold him up as he takes my hand and kisses them with his pink lips, eyes gleaming with emotions of regret and kindness. He looks like a little boy when he lays this way, an innocent grin adding to the adorableness. I give him a small smile to ease him up before he kisses the back of my hand once more.

"Stay with me," he blurts smoothly, sounding more like a plea.

I get serious, the air around us awkward now.

What is he asking exactly...?

"What?"

He adjusts his position, scooting closer to me. I feel the ends of his curls tickle my wrist and I squirm a little.

"Just, for a while, while you're still in the cast. Stay here, with me."

A tidal wave of shock floods through me and I'm trying to process everything here. This is a lot to take in for one day. It actually feels like ages ago that we fought on the street but it was only a few hours. Now he's here asking me to temporarily move in?

"Harry...I don't know. It seems like, like too much too soon, don't you think? I mean we haven't even dated for a full week, I don't have stuff here, we don't know much about each other--"

"Maybe this will help us to learn more. We can get your stuff here--you don't need to worry about any of that. All I want is to help you; to be with you. Let me do this to apologize for..well everything. I want to spend more time with you." His eyes are desperate, and his sweet talk is breaking my walls down.

Sure spending loads of time with Harry sounds nice, like really nice, but I just feel like this might hurt us. I don't know. That's it, I just don't know. I have no fucking idea about relationships, I'm clueless. Here's someone who's come along, has started to treat me right, but now I'm terrified and feel like I should run. People aren't like this, they aren't all nice and fairytale like, and I've learned it the hard way. There is no dream guy, or life. Last time I started staying with my boyfriend, the worst happened. Not that I'd accuse Harry of ever being the way Jacob was, but I've done the moving in thing too fast to soon and it just didn't work out.

I slowly start to shake my head, and I begin to speak but I hear my phone ring and I'm kept from my words.

Harry gets up from the bed and takes my phone from my purse, his demeanor changing instantly as he reads the screen.

"Why the fuck is he calling?"

I don't even have to ask who it is. Harry is about to press the talk button when I stop him.

"Harry give me my phone, let me talk to him, please." I do not need a pissed off Harry yelling at my boss and getting me fired.

As he hands me the phone he orders, "Speaker." I grant him that, as long as he won't interrupt.

"Hello?" I answer.

"Rachel? I'm glad you're okay. After you ran out I got a little worried and I wanted to check on you but I heard yelling so I...well I didn't want to interfere. You are okay though, right?"

Harry mocks him, rolling his eyes in a funny way as he gets back to his spot on the bed he was at before. I try not to laugh and answer.

"Well, actually I'm not..my foot was fractured or something, anyway I've got a cast now."

"What?! He didn't hurt you purposely did he?"

Fear begins to grow inside me when I see Harry getting agitated, the assumption hurting him.

Quickly I clear things up, "No! No, of course not. It was my fault, it's a long story. Don't worry about me, okay?" Harry isn't as tense as he was just seconds ago and he returns to laying peacefully next to me. I continue, "I won't be able to come to work for a week though because the doctor gave me orders to not move much until I get just a boot and walk on my own without crutches."

"That's horrible, I'm so sorry. I completely understand and I'll miss you." That statement causes Harry to scoff loudly and I hope I covered the speaker fast enough so Matthew didn't hear that. "Don't worry, your job will be here waiting for you. Get well soon Rachel."

I thank him and we hang up. I can tell Harry is trying to refrain from teasing Matthew from the smirk on his face. So before he can, I change the subject.

"Wow, I can't even work," I sigh, a little disappointed.

"So? I love breaks anytime I can get one. Be happy babe that you get to relax."

"But Harry, you know how I am."

"That is one of the things I know," Harry references to our earlier conversation about how much we know about each other, "you always have to be doing something," he jokes, raising a brow before cuddling even closer to me.

I sigh again, beginning to comb through his hair. "Now I can't even work, go on runs in the park, shop, dance--wait."

My hands stop playing with his hair as realization kicks in and I feel as if my heart stops.

"What? Rach what's the matter? Does it hurt?" Harry goes back on his elbows and peers at me with confusion.

I return his look, tears filling up in my eyes. "Harry, I can't dance."

I cry. I can't stop crying. What could be any worse than your favorite thing to do in the whole world, something that calms you, that excites you, get taken away? I won't know our routine, how will I catch up? What am I going to do without dancing?

"Oh..oh darling I'm so sorry," he kisses my cheek but I stay silent as I let the tears fall.

I knew going to the doctor was a big mistake.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

562 49 11
it's undeniable bond, yes, they both know that. but will harry hit two birds with one stone?
112K 1.6K 30
It's just another camren Instagram fic
25.9K 837 26
India was adrift. After being let down by some of the most important people in her life, she feels as if it's her right to be a little lost. Directi...
160K 5.5K 24
Maybe she never should've joined the game. SHORT STORY.