The Promises we Made

By poisonedapple1908

Katrina, abused by her parents and almost killed, is taken to a school of horrors by her best friend, Jake wi... More

The Promises we Made
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15

Chapter 11

24 3 4
By poisonedapple1908

It was strange to think that I had been in there not 2 days ago. The arena was so much more intimidating looking in. I stood at a viewing glass, watching for Jake. He had just gone in about fifteen minute ago.  

His kiss still lingered on my lips and I sighed, trying to calm down. I tried to focous on his last words to me before going in; "I love you. I'll be back safe and sound. I Promise". But a bunch of killer bees were swarming in the pit of my stomach and I couldn't stop fidgeting.  

"So who's it gunna be this time, boys?" I heard someone say to my left. I looked over to see about six or seven guys looking in.  They all seemed to be very eager which discusted me.

"Hard to say" a blond boy said with bad acne covering his round face "I'd say Jake and Megan but Jake has been pretty out of it lately". They all mumbled agreements.  

"Wasn't it because his girlfriend had some sort of accident?" A brunette asked. The blond boy caught me staring at them and gave me a strange look full of wonder and curiosity.

"It was you!" He exclaimed, his face brightening. They all turned to me. I blushed and looked down, embarrassed. Why did all these people know me? I just wanted to be left alone.

"You sure?" I heard someone say with a very deep voice.  

"No no, it's you. Your Jake's girlfriend right?" He asked, stepping forward.  

"Yeah" I mumbled.  

He looked smug and stuck his hand out to me "Jason".  

I hesitantly shook his with my bandaged hand. People saw me get stabbed so I needed to bandage my hand to cover the fact that I was fine.  

"Katrina" i said and he gave me a wide grin showing me the shine of his blue and silver braces.

"Your boy is pretty good" he replied, letting go of my hand.  

"So I hear" I remarked.  

"You haven't seen him fight yet?" Jason asked, giving me a confused look. He was kind of cute in a nerdy way.

I shook my head "this would be my first time".  

He nodded "when's you initiation? I'd like to see you in action" he flirted, despite knowing I was with Jake.  

"Last Monday" I answered, a small smile creeping on my lips.  

"Too bad" he said, his bright face dropping a little.  

"Whoa guys! They split!" One boy exclaimed. Everyone looked up at the moniter above me.  

The plasma showed Megan but Jake was no where to be seen. 

"Where is he?" I chocked out, the fist of fear gripping my windpipe making my voice hoarse and shaky. No one answered.  

Megan took off in a sprint away from a few bodies. She carried with her a small blade. She turned into an opening where Tanner sat. I had seen this before. More than once. I watched in horror as the familiar scene unfolded on the screen. They exchanged few words and although i couldn't hear it over the murmer that swept over the crowd, i knew exactly what they were saying. I watched their mouths for the words that played over and over in my mind. My dream. It was exactly how i saw it. She raised the knife to her throat. I wanted to look away so bad but I was frozen.  

Her blood painted the grass and surrounding trees as she fell to the forest floor. I let out something between a shriek and a sob. I covered my mouth, my eyes swimming with tears. Megan was dead and I had no idea where Jake was. I heard all the boys shuffle away from me and I turned to seen black as night eyes staring down at me. Miles.  

"Enjoying the show?" He murmured, his eyes shining with excitment.  

"Of course not! It's barbaric!" I said through gritted teeth. I heard a few gasps but Miles shrugged. I struggled to keep my anger under control.

Suddenly, Jake burst out of the trees and I pressed my hands to the glass. Did he know that Megan was dead? I ignored Miles as Jake ran up to the glass. He was out of breath and his clothes were blood-splattered. Jake's eyes sofened at the sight of my instead of the stone cold quality he took on when he was fighting. 

"Megan?" He mouthed, seeing Miles but kept his focus on me. I shook my head, trying to stay leval headed. He looked down, putting his face in his hand, and leaned against the glass. I could see he was trying not to break down. 

Megan told me last night they had been partners from the start. I couldn't imagine what Jake was feeling right now.  

I saw movement behind him and I pounded on the glass. Jake looked up at me, saw me looking over his shoulder, and turned. The burly black haired boy caught Jake and slammed his head against the glass. I jumped as his skull cracked against the glass and Jake slumped to the ground. The guy stepped back and watched as Jake pitifully tried to crawl away. My tears streamed hot and fresh down my face.  Losing Megan so suddenly had pulled his focus. I instantly regreted telling him but he did deserve the truth.

The boy kicked Jake and he rolled over painfully. I felt the tingle of power all over my body.  

I looked up and saw Miles just watching with a small smile.  

The guy kicked Jake's weapon away and got on top of him.  

"No!" I cried as he punched Jake repeatedly. I pounded my fists on the glass.  

"Do something!" i pleaded, turning to Miles.

"I can not do anything. He was weak and he will pay the price as everyone else" Miles didn't tear his eyes from the horror unfolding infront of us. Sobs racked my body and i struggled not to shake him. I glanced behind him to the group of boys who had excited looks on their faces. I looked away, disgusted.

The boy got bored of beating Jake once his face was blue and bloody, raised his impressive sword to finish him off.  

I didn't think. I just ran, instinct taking over. I felt a weird, light sensation as I passed through the glass with ease. I dug my feet into the grass and rushed forward, faster than I should be able to. I dove on them and I felt the sword go through me.  

I somehow ignored the screaming pain that centred to the right of my heart. If it had been 5 centimetres over, it would have skewered my heart.  

I knocked him off. The boy panted and looked up at me, petrified. We both got to our feet and I crouched over Jake, ready to pounce.  

I could tell he hesitated slightly but charged me anyways. He was empty handed so it wasn't very smart. Maybe he thought he could take me by hand since i was weaponless and injered. He didn't know how wrong he was.

My fingers snaked around his throat and I turned to throw him against the glass. I heard the last putters of his heartbeat when he fell to the ground and then it was still. I could hear the rush of the internal bleeding and the muscles finally relaxing for the last time.

I didn't want to even look at the viewing window so I went to Jake and bent over him. I pushed my feelings away, trying to stay strong for what was to come.

"Jake! Are you okay?" I asked. His purple eyes wheeled and he groaned, spitting out blood soaked saliva. I remembered helping Megan when I had electrocuted her so I touched Jake. I wanted him to be okay so badly. I willed my powers to help him. I felt the familiar transfer of power.  

His colour returned and he was able to focus on me. The bruises faded and the cuts were closed. He groaned again.  

"Cat?" He asked, confused.  

"I'm sorry" I whispered.  

Jake's eyes widened as his saw the handle sticking out of me.  

I got up and offered him my hand. He took it and I could see the hurt in his eyes.  

"You are in here because of your powers" he said. It wasn't a question but I nodded anyways.  

"I should go" I whispered.  

Jake leaned in and said "thank you for saving my life. I love you. You will get through this".  

"I love you too" I replyed and pressed my lips to his. I could taste sweat but melted into him anyways. We broke away too soon.  

I turned and walked back to the glass, ripping the knife from my chest and hissing in pain in the process. I tossed it to the side. I did this to show the fact that i was a freak and proud of it and i wasn't afraid of what they would do to me. I didn't make eye contact with anyone as I passed back through the glass.  

It was like second nature to me now. I turned back and saw Jake staring after me. I could see the cracks in the glass, realizing how hard i had thrown him. I felt bad about it but he would have killed Jake. 

I kept my face blank but every nerve was on fire and adrenaline pumped through my body. The tingles still danced over my body.  

"Welcome to the army, my dear" Miles spoke the words Jake so desperately tried to stop. I felt a nudge on my arm and saw Cameron and another boy waiting to escort me out.  

"Where am I going?" I asked, watching Jake. I wanted to stay for the rest of the fight but i knew i couldn't. 

"The chamber for now. You will be out soon enough though. I will have great use for you" Miles said through a smug look. His voice was melted caramel.  

"C'mon" I heard Cameron say and they led me through the gathered crowd and into the hall.  

"Great. Another freak" I heard as I left. Looks like this school wouldn't be any different then my last.  

I shuttered as i suppressed the urge to find the speaker and kill him. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

What did you think? Fan, vote, comment!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.1K 119 22
"do you ever feel like a plastic bag drifting though the wind wanting to start again, do ever feel, feel oh so paper thin like a house of cards one b...
1.3M 13.9K 18
***EXCERPT ONLY*** He is Captain of the football team. Most popular Guy in school. Can get any girl he wants. Next in line to be Alpha. Logan's not r...
584K 11.6K 40
Roya just got out of Rehab after fighting addiction since her boyfriend died. On her path to help other people who think drugs are the answer, she'll...
509K 11.7K 24
Faye thought everything was in her life was perfect until one night when she was six, her pack was attacked. Everyone was killed, including her mom a...