Sleepwalker

By humored

When the quiet girl in Clayton Hugh's chemistry class comes knocking on his door at five in the morning barel... More

Summary
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five (Last Chapter)

Chapter Four

412K 20.7K 13.8K
By humored

"Let her sleep for when she wakes up she will move mountains."

CLAYTON

My sleeping pattern was effected greatly by Mateo and Zeke's visit the day previous. So much I had fallen asleep at the early time of eight then woke up, fully rested, when the sun was still down and would remain so for a while. I knew Zeke was an early bird, but I never pictured five in the morning to be a perfect time to throw around.

Nonetheless the two were the reason why I was roaming the kitchen around four, my stomach growling for breakfast. I knew my mom had a busy day so I decided it was best to stick with a bowl of cereal, even if the idea of eggs and bacon sounded delicious.

So as I stuffed my mouth with Fruit Loops, my mind wandered away from my ex friends the best it could. I noted that I had still had to finish my English report on the U.S. economy. Then there was that baseball bat I ordered online that should have been coming in any day then. Last but not least, the date I was tricked into with Courtney Fisher was later that afternoon. 

It was a long, long story on how that happened, but I wasn't as stoked about it like all my baseball teammates were. Sure Courtney was extremely appealing to the eye, but life wasn't all about that. I only had one class with her, which was chemistry, and her personality was definitely a huge turn off - actually, she reminded me a lot of Zeke. They both spread lies, gossiped way too much, and enjoyed attention from anyone and everyone. 

Sadly I fell in that anyone and everyone category. 

Don't get me wrong, it was sweet for Courtney to have had a crush on me, but I thought I made myself clear the twenty other times she asked me out that I wasn't interested. I guess one could have said her determination was an admirable trait in her. A trait another guy would truly appreciate, along with everything else that came with her. It was just I wasn't that guy for her. 

Right when my mind is off the topic of Mateo and Zeke, the two could not help themselves but become the center of attention once again. 

There was knocking at the front door.

It made me curse out and crunch the little Fruit Loops in my mouth harder with agitation. 

"Guys, seriously, I don't feel like going out today --" I swung the door open, my breath hitching in my throat. 

It was not Zeke. Or Mateo. 

Instead there stood a girl; a girl who was extremely under-dressed to be wandering outside of her house. Her hair was a mess, a lot of it covering up her facial features, and when I listened in closely and blocked out the crickets, I could hear her mumbling stuff faintly. 

"Are you okay?" I instinctively took a step outside, eyeing the area before gazing back at her. There was a bad feeling sinking into my stomach. When there was no answer in return, that only made my worry grow. "Can you tell me where you came from?" My hand reached out slowly, cautiously. I wanted to see if she would retract, scared to be touched. "Come inside, I can help.. We can call who ever you need." Her skin was cold at the touch. Goosebumps were up and down her arms. 

By then panic was beginning to set in me. This girl had obviously been through some unimaginable scenario. She could have been abused; scared to the point of not speaking up for herself. Or possibly raped

A shiver ran down my spine. 

"Watch your step.. watch your step." I had to pick her up into the house, my words not registering to her. "Mor, far! Wake up!" I yelled out. "Help!"

I placed an arm around the girl's waist, guiding her more efficiently to my room. I would have placed her in the living room, but that was under construction for remodeling. She fell onto the cushion of my bed without hesitation, laying down and curling into a fetal position. She was beginning to shiver, so quickly I turned the ceiling fan off and placed a wool blanket over her. Then, making sure she was comfortable, I ran to my parents room. 

They were both shuffling in their beds, barely even awake. I wanted to scream at them, saying there was a possible victimized girl in my room, but instead I used my energy dragging them out of bed. Far was absolutely furious with me, demanding to know what was going on, while mor was busy dodging furniture. However when I pushed them into my room and pointed out the girl with shaky hands, they fell silent. 

"Why is there a girl in your bed?" Far asked, eerily too calm. 

My mouth was open to speak, but fear was over taking me. I don't think I was ever more scared in my entire life. 

"S-she was at the... the front door." I eventually said, eyes staring at them wildly. "I don't know what is wrong with her... but something is wrong."

That was all it took for mor's instincts to kick in. Sleep was tossed over her shoulder and she speed towards the girl, ordering far to call nine-one-one and for me to help her with an inspection. My breathing was beginning to become erratic, so I had to calm myself the best I could. After rubbing at my face and steadying my breaths, I stood opposite of mor, watching as she began to move the hair out of the girl's face. 

Immediately upon that I stepped back, sure that I was going to be sick. 

"That is Lucy.. Lucy Walker." I covered my face, cursing into them. 

Who the hell would do that to someone as sweet as Lucy?

"Yes, a girl came up to our front door and.. and.." Far entered the room with the phone, looking to me for an explanation. "My son opened the door, so here he is. He can tell you everything."

"Ye-es, um." I pressed the phone to my ear but it wouldn't keep still. "Lucy Walker came up to our front door. She was, uh, disorient-ted. Could barely even walk."

"Sir, I need you to calm down for me. Can you repeat the name of the female?" The dispatcher asked. 

I couldn't tear away from Lucy's closed lids. 

"Sir?" The woman repeated. 

"Lucy-y," I sputtered. "Lucy Walker." 

There was a long pause, the sound of her typing killing me as every second went by. Mor had removed the blanket and began inspecting her limbs for wounds. 

"We are sending  an ambulance and squad car over there immediately."

And she meant it. Within minutes the authorities came. 

They removed my family out of my room while a paramedic tended to Lucy so they could question us. It felt like hours we were sitting there around the dining table, explaining our parts in tonight's situation. For a second I thought they had  everything they needed, but then two people stormed into the house. They were dressed in their pajamas exactly like my family, and their eyes were wild with emotion. 

"Lucy is this way, Mr. and Mrs. Walker. She is safe and healthy." A cop assured them. 

The Walkers never gave my family a glance. They followed after the cop in a rush. 

Eventually everyone else left the table, leaving me to suffer in my head. I wished there was something I could have done. 

"Are you Clayton?" A voice shook me from my dozing off state. It was Mr. Walker, the man who stormed in not too long away. He didn't seem as worried as before. If anything he was relieved, which made me feel less tense. 

I nodded, gulping. 

"I'm Andrew Walker, Lucy's father." He sat down beside me, making the dining room feel less empty. My parents went to introduce themselves to the Walkers leaving me to dwell in my worry. "Lucy and her friends have mentioned your name once or twice before."

My brows rose. Why would Lucy and her friends mention me? I never figured I was in the same atmosphere as them. I was simply another jock who had the jock friends and the cheerleader "girlfriend". Too one note for them. 

"They have?"

He nodded. "Yep. You must be a hit with the ladies." 

The amount of nonchalance in his voice is extremely unnerving. "Not to be rude, sir, but why are you telling me this when your daughter is in trouble?" 

Mr. Walker instantly shook his head, eyes becoming far more serious. "She isn't in any trouble, son."

A weight lifted off my shoulders. "She isn't?"

"No, no. It is a miracle she is fine, though. Walking across the whole neighborhood could have had an ugly turn for the worst."

Walking? A simple walk around the neighborhood doesn't explain her still being in her pajamas, the inability to speak, and appearing so disoriented. 

"I don't understand..." I admitted sheepishly. 

Lucy's father cracked a weak grin. "Lucy has this condition called somnambulism." He repeated. "You may know it as sleepwalking."

Sleepwalking? My brows quenched together. I had heard of it, of course, but I never knew anyone that actually walked in their sleep. Yet alone managed to get out of their house and walk across a whole neighborhood. It was a miracle in itself that she never got seriously hurt. She could have been hit by a car! 

Shifting between the floor and Lucy's father, I was speechless. That was a bizarre experience I never wanted to go through again. I thought the absolute worst had happened to her. 

"She does this every night. Sleepwalk. But tonight was different since she managed to get out of her room. The house." Frustration made its way on his face. "I don't know what more we can do.. We have tried so much." He rubbed his face.

The paramedic that inspected Lucy further came back inside the room, putting his phone back in his pocket. He said he called Lucy's therapists and doctors, who said there was no need for hospitalization unless she had an injury. Luckily enough Lucy had none, so after filing report and signing papers, the chaos of authorities left, leaving my family with Lucy's. 

The sun was beginning to raise, a stream of light illuminating the small frame in my bed. My parents offered to help move Lucy so the Walkers could take her home if they wanted, but everyone agreed it would be best if she slept there until she woke up. She had already been tossed and turned enough for a night. 

"Why don't you go wash up, son. She will be fine alone for a bit." Lucy's father came back into the room, smelling of bacon from the breakfast mor prepared for everyone. 

I wasn't sure to take that with offense or respect, since he was basically saying I looked like a mess, but then again I couldn't blame him. When I looked into the mirror and saw my appearance, it was cringe worthy. My eyes had dark circles clinging underneath them, and my eyes were bloodshot. 

A shower was exactly what I needed to gain enough energy to get through the day. When I stepped out I felt rejuvenated. It was finally setting in that Lucy was going to be fine, so there was no need to worry anymore. After slipping into the clean clothes I set out for myself, I cursed when I realized I never brought in a shirt. 

Wanting to be as quick as possible, I swung open the bathroom door and went back towards my room in a haste. I figured Lucy would be asleep so I wouldn't have to feel self conscious. 

But when I came into my room and saw Lucy standing, peering at a framed photo of my family, I was voided of embarrassment. 

"Lucy?!" I couldn't hide my excitement. 

She jumped up, mimicking her reaction from the music store yesterday. Only this time her eyes were dead set on my naked chest. 

My emotions were getting the best of me though, because without thinking clearly I went over and grabbed her into a hug. I was so happy she was okay. Awake. 

"Thank God you are okay." I whispered into her hair, squeezing her tight.

I didn't even mind that she never returned my gesture. 

All that mattered was the fact she was awake, healthy, and safe right in that moment. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.5K 113 26
Live. Laugh. Love. For any young adult this should be easy parts of growing up but for Emma, each category felt unreachable. After a horrible event t...
1.7M 102K 82
Nolan, an unapproachable guy who ignores the existence of all his schoolmates, sleeps in all of his classes. Normally, this wouldn't be Chelsea Arnol...
172 3 17
It was (y/n)'s senior year. All of highschool you have been a social butterfly. Despite your growing popularity, you've had yet to find yourself a su...
6.9K 108 12
**READ PLEASE**A teenage all round beautiful female has trouble trying to adapt to her boyfriends family.. which she thought was perfect. However as...