UNEXPECTED ENCOUNTER

By shytabby

Shelley had always had the notion that all men should not be trusted. They are selfish, unfaithful, and egoce... More

Chp 1 : The Encounter
Chp 2: Reflection
Chp 3 : The Break
Chp 4 : Reunion
Chp 5 : Coincidence
Chp 6 : The Goodbyes
Chp 7 : Expectations
Chp 8 : Dinner at the Royal Senchi
Chp 9 : Attraction
Chp 10 : Regrets
Chp 11 : The Getaway
Chp 12 : Two can play
Chp 13 : The party
Chp 14 : Spellbound
Chp 15 : Throwback
Chp 16 : Unforeseen Detours
Chp 17 : Confrontation.
Chp 18 : The do-over.
Chp 20 : The Visit part one.
Chp 21 : The Visit part two
Chp 22 : The prying ear.
Chp 23 : Caught between a rock and a hard place.
Chp 24 : A Promise.
Chp 25 : A Surprise visit.
Chp 26 : Movie Night.
Chp 27 : A friendly advice.
Chp 28 : Intrusion
Chp 29 : Family Drama
Chp 30 : A Lover's quarrel
Chp 31 : Send-off party

Chp 19 : Follow up

12 0 0
By shytabby

-Adam-

I have neglected to contact my firm back home to explain my continued presence here, despite the fact that it has been three months since my arrival. To this day, they still haven't contacted me to clarify the holdup.

Perhaps it is due to the fact that they have been referring cases to me here. They should have contacted me to confirm my return time nevertheless. I should get in touch with my paralegal and have her set up a phone conference with the partners. I want them to know that I plan to stay a bit longer than expected.

While waiting for the call to go through to Alice, my paralegal, I grab the phone and head to the kitchen, where I pour myself a bowl of cereal from the upper shelf. I can still hear her voice on the other end of the phone as I stir my cereal with milk.

Alice : Hello, Mr. McLean. To what do I owe the pleasure?

Me: Hello Alice. Good morning, and how are you?

Alice: Morning, sir, and I am good. I believe you are too.

Me: Yes, I am fine. I will like you to arrange a conference call with the other partners of the firm. I want them to know from me that I will be staying here a bit longer. Can you get that sorted out for me, please?

Alice: Of course, sir. I will get it done right away. I will call you when they are ready for you, sir.

Me: Alright, Alice. I will be waiting for your call. Thank you very much. You really are God-sent you know that, right?

Alice: Of course, sir. Goodbye and have a good day, sir. She then ends the call.

Perfect. Now I can eat my breakfast and later find something to occupy my time as I await the conference call.

"Benjamin," you have finally made up your mind to come join us. Fill me in on how you've been doing. How long has it been since we last saw each other? Matthew asks Ben this as he goes up to his two companions.

So far, so good. Your wife? How is she doing?

Generally speaking, she has done well. Many people have been dropping over to see her recently. Her father and Miss Dickson were also here to pay her a visit.

Have I understood you correctly? Do you mean that Shelly came to see your wife? for what purpose? To my knowledge, they are not acquainted.

Even though they have never met, Miss Dickson thought it was fitting to offer her support because Miriam is my wife and I'm friends with you and Blackson. I'm grateful, of course, and it has helped my wife really relax.

"Given that, how is that possible?"

Whatever the case may be, it seems like those two have been quite chatty recently. This place was starting to get to Miriam. The complexities of bringing corpses in and out have clearly been a source of great distress for her, but ever since Shelly paid her a visit, they have been in continual conversation. She has been bringing her books to read for the past few days, and that has helped her a lot, whether it's about literature or anything else.

Can you believe it? Now I'm beginning to see why you're captivated by her. To everyone around her, she seems to exude an irresistible charm. Her character is growing on me.

Ben arched an eyebrow as he repeated, "Her character is growing on you, you say."

Guys, I think you get what I was trying to say. By the way, how is your relationship with her going?

It's fine.

"Oh, really?" Blackson was the one who had to ask the question this time.

Turning to his two companions, he remarked. She recently invited me to lunch after I guilted her into it. I apologise for what I did; I know it was wrong, but given the circumstances, it was my only option for getting her to stop being mean to me.

You guys do not know what she did to me. After I stepped in to save her and her buddy from a sticky situation, she promptly threw me out of her house. That irritated me, alright? I did what I had to.

Matthew and Blackson both stare at Ben in disbelief. His reasons were so unbelievable to them.

Even by your standards, this is too low, Ben, according to Blackson."How could you do that to her?"

The question "do what to her?" is asked by an unseen voice behind them.

Everyone quickly pivoted to face Miss Dickson as she stood in the hallway leading to Miriam's room.

"Shelly," Hey, how's it going? Ben abruptly spoke up, trying to change the subject by putting on an act.

So far, so good. Is Miriam doing alright?

She is quite content with everything, of course. No need to be concerned.

I don't understand why you're acting strangely, then.

Beseeching his buddies for help, Ben casts a beseeching glance in their direction. With full knowledge that Shelly would not let this question float away.

Nothing Shelly. According to Mathew. "Ben was here updating us on a client-related choice he made. It took us by surprise that he made that decision."

Shelly glances between her three companions. Despite her disbelief, she resolved to let their excuse slide. They were trying to keep their conversation from her, whatever it was.

Very well. Blackson, Mathew, if that is indeed the point, then I get it. She greeted the two men with a casual nod.

"There seems to be something in your hand." Ben inquires.

Oh, it's simply a book I got for Miriam to read. Now I'm going to give you three fellas some space. Saying this, she makes her way to Miriam's chamber.

"Erm, Shelly." When you finish here, can I give you a ride home? ask Ben.

Sure. However, I will be here for a while. She says this across her shoulder.

"I am willing to wait. Take your time." Shelly entered the room while Ben stood among his friends outside chatting.

***

Midday has passed. As I hop on Ben's vehicle to my place, I bid farewell to Miriam and her husband. I fidget with my phone as I sit next to him in the front seat.

"I am not sure if now is the proper moment to bring up the subject we discussed during lunch the other day with her." How in the world....

"Shelly," I'd like to talk about something from the other day; first, I'm sorry I brought up your dad; second, I want you to know that I'm over your previous decision to kick me out of your house.

Raising my eyes from my phone, I meet his. "Honestly! Wow! What happened?"

"And why is it something you want to know?" He inquires.

For some reason, I sensed that you were planning to leverage that against me. Just to be sure I give in to your every cue.

Can you explain why you think that? You should know that I am not that nasty. Indeed, I must confess that the thought crossed my mind, but after giving it some thought, I decided it wouldn't be fair to you. Despite the fact that you treated me wrong.

I feel I should apologise for what I did.

I believe you have. All I can say is that I hope that it will never happen again. I am not the one with whom you are at odds. Am I not to be judged by their deeds?

Very well! Whatever happens, I will do my best not to judge you harshly. Are you joyful?

You have my gratitude. By the way, I'm pleased that you paid Miriam a visit. I am the only person she considers a friend despite everything she has been through. This is something Ben says while maintaining his focus on the road ahead.

According to her, you and she were friends long before you met Mathew and Blackson. She even mentioned that you introduced her to Mathew.

As he shifts in his seat, he replies. "In my mind, she's like a little sister. Her aunt is my mom's best friend. In every visit to our residence, she insisted on bringing her. The identity of Miriam's mother is unknown to her. The act of giving birth to her was fatal for her."

"When her father lost his wife, he gave Miriam to his sister. With her resemblance to her wife, he found it intolerable to look at her. In every way, she resembles her mother." I could just feel the sorrow in Ben's eyes as he spoke about her. You could tell he really values Miriam.

Her dad dug deep into his business. It was only quite lately that we finally crossed paths. After the wedding, and recently at a meeting.

"My heart goes out to her." I say. Maybe it was hard for her to grow up without the affection of her parents. There is no way for me to comprehend it.

Despite that, she had her aunt's love since her aunt was childless. She felt considerably less alone with Miriam at her side. The love she showed her spoiled her beyond belief.

She treated her like her own, and Shelly is delighted about it. While Miriam gives off an air of shyness at first glance, her friendly side becomes apparent as she warms up to you.

"With any luck, you two will grow closer friends, Ben adds." In response, Shelly grinned.

A call rang at that very moment. Even before she could utter a word, he took up the phone. It seemed like a crucial phone call.

"I implore you to pardon me. I must answer this call. This call is coming in from my colleagues at the law firm where I work."He parked the car and went outside to get some alone time. His brisk pacing catches my attention.

"So, Ben Adam McLean, what am I to do with you? As time goes on and we continue to talk, I can feel you drawing nearer to me. No matter how much I try to distance myself from you, you persist in finding a way to remain." "Why?" she wondered.

Ben finished his call. As soon as he finished with his conference call with his partners, he joined me in the car.

"Is everything alright?" I ask.

"No worries at all." As he flashes me a smile, he says this. "We should probably return you home before the sun goes down."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

535K 26.8K 65
Two complete different personalities would have to learn to get along and play nice in order to survive a will that would change their lives. For twe...
385 87 20
Meeting her was a life changing experience for him. Things never felt the same as thoughts of her enveloped him. Love was something he never actively...
37.8K 7.2K 58
(Complete) After decades, it's the end of an era on The Point. Change is inevitable and Will Drake doesn't like it. Will has the career he always dre...
167 21 19
It's lust at first sight for him, He's been through a lot in the past, He is not searching for serious commitment, But all his reasons drown when he...