Mute

By kylieskatz22

Riker becomes a foster child after he is abused at home. And then he gets put with the Lynchs after he's abus... More

Chapter 1 : New home
Chapter 2 : Mark and Stormie's house
Chapter 3 : Rough night
Chapter 4 : No shower
Chapter 5 : Shopping
Chapter 6 : Shower
Chapter 7 : Can't sleep
Chapter 8 : Ice rink
Chapter 9 : Power outage
Chapter 10 : The school talk
Chapter 11 : Mark's job
Chapter 12 : School visit
Chapter 13 : Hurt
Chapter 14 : "Foster brother"
Chapter 15 : Nightmare panic
Chapter 16 : Handling it alone
Chapter 17 : Getting to know Riker
Chapter 18 : School
Chapter 19 : Homework
Chapter 20 : Shoved
Chapter 21 : A plan for home
Chapter 22 : Math test panic
Chapter 23 : Fire Drill
Chapter 24 : Not mad
Chapter 25 : Ice cream
Chapter 26 : Leaving
Chapter 27 : Punished
Chapter 28 : Burned
Chapter 29 : Safe
Chapter 31 : Sick
Chapter 32 : Riker's mom
Chapter 33 : Part of our family

Chapter 30 : Tired

24 2 0
By kylieskatz22

Chapter 30

Later...     

Rocky POV

When we got home, I carried Riker inside. He had fallen asleep for basically the whole ride home. I knew he must be exhausted.

Everyone was staring at us when we came in. I went straight upstairs to our room and set Riker down in his bed. I pulled his covers over him and then spread out his blue blanket on top. He pretty much just stayed asleep, so I went back downstairs. Dad was in the living room, explaining what happened to everyone.

I sat down on the couch between Rydel and Ross. 

"So he talks now?" Ross asked.

"No, that's not what that means," I said.

"But if he can talk, and if he did talk, why won't he just keep talking?" Ross asked.

"That's not how it works," I said, getting annoyed.

"Then how does it work?" He asked.

"I don't know! But not like that!"

"So he's going to be living here again?" Ross asked.

"Yes," dad said.

"For how long?" He asked.

"What do you mean, for how long? As long as he needs to! Why do you have a problem with him being here!?" I yelled.

"I don't. I just don't understand," Ross said.

"Clearly," I said, crossing my arms.

"I don't know why you're so upset," Ross said.

"You don't get it! You just think he's some stupid boy that's staying at our house who doesn't talk! That's not who he is! He's been through more than you ever have! And you're lucky you haven't been through what he's been through! How would you like to be thrown in an icy cold pool and then shut in a scalding hot shower, so hot it burns your skin!? You don't get it, Ross!"

I got up and went upstairs. I can't deal with him right now.

I got in bed beside Riker, which made him wake up a little. 

"Hey, it's ok. You're safe in bed now, alright?"

He moved closer to me and cuddled into my side. He put his hand on my chest, holding on.

"I'm tired," he whispered.

"I know. It's ok. Just get some sleep."

"Will you stay?" He whispered.

"Yes. I'll stay, Riker. Don't worry."

I put my arm around him. He leaned his head gently against my chest and sighed. I started rubbing his back slowly. I just want him to be able to get back to sleep and get some rest.

A little while later, dad and Ross came in.

"Don't you dare wake him up," I said, quietly.

"I'm not. I came to apologize," Ross said.

"Why?"

"Because I didn't know. He didn't tell anyone what happened to him, so how was I supposed to know?"

"He told me and dad. You should've been nice whether you knew or not."

"I know. I'm sorry."

"Look at how red his hand is. It's burned from the shower."

Riker's hand was still resting on my chest. I could see Ross looking at it. I think it's finally clicked in his mind how serious this all is.

Ross left and dad sat down on my bed.

"How is he?" Dad asked.

"Exhausted. I just hope he sleeps through the night and doesn't have some awful nightmare."

"Well if he does, I know you'll be there to comfort him."

"Yeah, I will."

"Let me know if you need anything."

"Thanks."

"Goodnight, Rocky."

"Night, dad."

Later...

Rocky POV

I woke up to the loudest scream ever, right in my ear. I almost fell out of bed.

Luckily, I'd kept the light on because I know Riker likes it on at night, so I didn't have to try to turn it on blindly.

"Hey, you're ok. Stop freaking out, Riker," I said, pulling him into my arms.

I heard footsteps coming down the hall. It was dad.

"What happened?" He asked.

"I don't know," I said, still holding Riker, who was shaking.

"Everything hurts," Riker whispered.

"Like from being burned?" I asked.

"And hit. Hard," he whispered.

"Ok, just try to calm down, and then we can think of what we should do," dad said, sitting down on the bed.

Since I had my arms around Riker, I could feel his heart racing in his chest because my one hand was right over his heart. I felt so bad.

"I have an idea," I said.

"What is it?" Dad asked.

"Can you go in his suitcase?"

"Yeah. What am I looking for?" Dad asked, sitting on the ground.

"Find one of his swimsuits."

Dad handed me Riker's blue board shorts.

"Come on," I said, helping Riker up. 

I led him to the bathroom and told him to get changed. After he'd changed, I filled the bathtub up with cool but not cold water and told Riker to get in. 

I know he doesn't have a sunburn, but it's kind of like a sunburn. And mom would tell us to cool off with a cold shower if we got a sunburn. But since he doesn't like showers, I figured a bath would accomplish the same thing. He just needs to cool the burn down.

Dad came in the bathroom and stood beside me.

"I know it's not the same as a sunburn," I said.

"No, it's a good idea. I don't even think the burn is too bad. I think it'll feel better after a day or so. But cooling it down won't hurt."

"But what about the rest of his injuries? He's got bruises all over him."

"Give him some medicine and ice packs. I don't know what more we can do."

"Ok."

"If you're ok with taking care of him, I'm going to go back to bed. I need to go to the police station early tomorrow to talk to them about what I know about Riker and his parents."

"Yeah, that's fine, dad. Is that ok, Riker?"

Riker nodded.

"Ok. Just wake me up if you need something," dad said, leaving.

I sat down on the floor next to the bathtub.

"Are you feeling any better?" I asked.

Riker nodded.

"Good. Let me know when you want to get out. I'll get you a towel and then I can give you some medicine and get you an ice pack." 

We sat there for a while in silence. After a bit, Riker started silently crying. I couldn't stop noticing the bruise on his cheek and it was starting to make me really mad.

"Riker, if I need to go talk to the police to try to stop them from letting your parents get custody of you again, I will."

He wiped his tears and then looked at me.

"I want to get out," he said, super quietly.

"Ok."

I got him a towel so he could dry off. Then I got him a cup of water and some pain medicine. I left to go get him a change of clothes while he was taking the medicine. I let him get dressed, walked him back to our room, and then got him an ice pack, which he held to his cheek.

I got back in bed beside him.

"Do you think you can fall back asleep?" I asked.

He shook his head no. 

"Why not? Is it the pain? Or are you scared? What is it?"

"All of it," he whispered.

"Well you're safe now, so you don't have to worry about getting hurt again."

"But what if they make me go back with my parents!?"

I was getting distracted by hearing Riker's voice. I wasn't used to it. 

"Rocky."

I focused again on Riker.

"Sorry. I'm just not used to your voice."

Riker shut his eyes and laid down, cuddling into me.

"You'll get used to it," he said, quietly.

"You mean you're going to keep talking now?"

"I don't know. I guess..."

"Well it's up to you. If you don't want to talk, you don't have to. You can just text me like you did before. But if you want to talk, I know everyone would love to hear your voice."

"Ok..."

He turned on his side and gently laid his hand on my chest again.

"Can you put on a movie?" Riker asked.

"Sure."

I put on a movie on my laptop so he had something to focus on. I'm not sure if he fell asleep, but I did.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

29.6K 521 46
The members of R5 are out their dreams, playing shows, meeting fans, having the time of their lives. Stormie, Who has been supportive to her children...
43.6K 816 37
Reagan is a 5 year old girl who was abused by her father until she got rescued by the orphanage. She's been there for a year and no one's adopted her...
PTSD By Kylie K

Fanfiction

628 50 24
Riker and Ross are officially adopted by Mark. But when their parents get out of jail sooner than they had hoped, Riker starts showing signs of PTSD.
1.8K 100 32
Brothers Riker and Ross are thrown into foster care after Child Protection Services take them out of their abusive household. But Riker has major iss...