The Waitress (GxG)

By gorillagroddshelmet

When working at a failing high end restaurant in New York, Mariah Breaux knows every corner about scraping by... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59

39

3.1K 97 17
By gorillagroddshelmet

I wiped off the stove and tucked the last pan away in the cabinet, feeling completely drained from today.

Almost everything was hurting from constantly standing for five hours and I was so ready to get in the shower and go to bed. Something I've been fantasizing about all day. I absolutely couldn't wait for my head to hit that pillow.

I untied my apron, hanging it on the kitchen hook and made my way to the light switch to flick it off until...

"It smelt great in here earlier when I walked by."

I halted my actions, turning around to face the all too familiar voice.

Donovan.

An awkward chuckle left my mouth. "Yeah, I was just trying out some new things." I said, trying to force my awkwardness away.

He emerged from the dimly lit room, walking deeper into the kitchen, "Well whatever it is, you're doing great."

"Thank you." I said with a small smile on my face, trying to be polite.

"No worries, I just came in here to get to know you a little better, this morning was a tad bit informal." He said as he stopped in front of me.

I recalled the memory from this morning and I do admit that it was a little weird. "Yeah..." I trailed off, not really knowing what to say.

He flashed me a smile, "That's just Nova though isn't it? Let's have a seat shall we?" he asked motioning over to the stools.

I nodded my head and trailed behind him across the kitchen island.

"Thank you." I said as he pulled the stool out for me and he nodded in response.

I sat on the stool turning my body to face him. Hopefully we could wrap this up in point five seconds because I felt my eyes getting heavier by the second.

"You go to culinary school, correct? how's that?" He asked, but before I could wonder where he got the information of me being in culinary school I nodded. "It's good, I like it."

I lied.

But... I didn't know Donovan entirely enough to tell the truth.

"Nice, I had a little thing for cooking when I was younger, I had grown out of it though to engross myself with more of the family business and affairs." He responded, "I assume you'd know about that, since your relationship with Nova."

For a split second my heart stopped.

He knows?

I just as fast as the words left his mouth my defensive guards shot up, "What do you mean relationship?" I asked, trying to keep my voice neutral.

"I meant platonically," he chuckled. "I just meant your platonic relationship, but you two do seem close with each other."

I let out a breath I didn't even know I was holding.

I smiled trying to continue my polite facade, "Yeah, Nova has been trying to make my experience fun here, and I guess we just became friends along the way." I said trying to hint that what he saw this morning, didn't have romantic intentions laced within it.

Only Nova and I needed to know that it did.

"Makes sense, I guess you're also loosening Nova up too, I've never seen her have a snowball fight before, happy you're able to bring that out of her, she needs friends." He explained but I quickly noticed how this conversation shifted from me– to Nova almost shockingly.

I hummed in response, "It's nice having a friend you could work with too. Back at my job in the city I have some friends that I work with." I said, trying to change the subject.

"Back at my company I don't have too many work friends, but they all look up to and respect me in some kind of way." he said. And I instantly put it to the back of my mind.

Maybe he was just weird at wording things, everything he said felt like it had a double meaning to it.

But I only just met him, so I have to get him the benefit of the doubt.

"What's your company?" I asked using this as an opportunity to make the conversation about him.

He slightly narrowed his eyes. "It's hard to explain, it's based in the city though, planning on going worldwide."

And although I tried to stop it, a yawn fell from my lips.

"I'm sorry–"

"No worries, it's all good, sorry for keeping you here it's almost midnight anyways." He stood up from the stool, towering over me. "I do hope we could continue this conversation another day." he held his hand out.

I got up from the stool, grabbing his hand to briefly shake it.

"I hope so too, see you another time." I said letting go of his hand. He shot me a slight smile before walking out of the kitchen into the dark hallway.

Although I wanted to take the time to process what just happened, I was running on sheer disappointment since this morning, and there was nothing more I wanted to do than go to bed.

I walked back to my original spot, turning off the kitchen light before heading down to the elevator.

Once I stepped in the familiar box, I stared at the panel being entirely unsure on what I should do.

I mean I wanted to go up to my room, but part of me— well the majority wanted to see Nova.

We were in a relationship after all, and communicating with her was the only important thing right now, no matter what the circumstance was.

I paused my thoughts as I unconsciously grabbed the separate ring from my pocket and put it in the slot, pressing the button to go up to Nova's room.

If she was even awake right now.

I tried to prevent my racing thoughts from consuming me as we ascended upward.

When the elevator dinged open I peered around the dark living room before gently knocking on Nova's door.

I internally laughed realizing that I was doing exactly what she did anytime she wanted to talk to me.

I waited for the door to open, but when it never did I felt confusion grow around me. My thoughts began racing, wondering if something bad might have happened to Nova or–

"Mariah?"

And just like that all the potential panic setting in around me faded upon hearing her voice.

I followed in the direction in which I heard it from and there she was, sitting on her balcony.

I don't know why that wasn't the second place I checked.

As I stepped out and the cold midnight breeze blew past my body, causing a slight shiver to settle around me.

When I noticed the macbook resting on her lap I spoke, "Why are you up so late?"

She looked completely exhausted, like me times ten. Her face was illuminated from the light off of the device, showing her low eyes fighting to stay open.

"Research." she said, her voice laced with raspiness.

A few seconds of silence passed as we both remained silent. But as I went to speak, I was unintentionally cut off.

"I'm sorry for not telling you everything," she averted her attention away from the screen, "I've just been accustomed to leaving certain parts of information out to prevent any possible collateral damage. I didn't want to mess up what we had so I thought it was best to leave out unwanted factors in my life. I'm sorry."

And I couldn't help but feel bad, knowing that what she did had a valid reason behind it, and that I should have heard her out instead of jumping to conclusions and asking Noah.

Upon realizing I was in the wrong, I apologized. "I'm sorry too Nova, I shouldn't have asked Noah, I should have waited until you were comfortable with telling me." I whispered.

A few beats passed as her tired eyes remained pinned on me before she spoke. "Come here." she grabbed my hand guiding me closer to her while lifting the macbook off of her lap.

"Sit down." she said, lowering me to sit on her lap.

"Is this the research you've been doing?" I questioned as she placed the macbook onto me.

"I've been reading up on Donovan, and there's some kind of hole in his story." She said scrolling on some article.

"I just talked to him maybe fifteen minutes ago." I said scanning the article.

"You what?" she said, halting her scrolling.

"I was putting stuff up and he came to the kitchen and talked to me." I explained briefly.

"What did he ask you?" she questioned.

"I don't know, school stuff, you stuff." I listed, was I not supposed to be talking to him?

"Me stuff?" She repeated.

"Yeah, it was a little odd but he seemed nice." I responded and she hummed.

"I don't know too much about him but you should give him a chance, who knows he's probably a changed man." I suggested, rising from her lap. "But you want to know what I really think you should do?" I questioned.

"What?"

I stared at her for a few seconds, narrowing my eyes. "Going to sleep." She sighed and a giggle left my mouth as I leaned down and pressed a fleeting kiss to her lips.

I grabbed her hand, "Come on detective Casanova, I have a job for you to do."

And shortly after we exited the balcony I found myself feeling at peace with everything that just happened.

Like everything felt like it was where it needed to be.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.9K 266 18
Mia is a 18 year old girl. She's in her senior year of highschool and her dad is a mafia boss! Although her father is a cruel heartless man he has th...
698K 31K 33
Zora was was finally an adult, she was going to take over her mother's company. The mafia princess worked right under her mother's wing when she made...
79K 2.7K 10
"Kiss me." "I think I'll pass." Before I could say anything else, her hands grabbed my hips and slammed my back against the wall. And her lips found...
71.4K 3.1K 34
Gia Morretti never wanted to have anything to do with the family business. Then one day she found herself in charge of the entire mob. Gia has to l...