Mute

By kylieskatz22

Riker becomes a foster child after he is abused at home. And then he gets put with the Lynchs after he's abus... More

Chapter 1 : New home
Chapter 2 : Mark and Stormie's house
Chapter 3 : Rough night
Chapter 4 : No shower
Chapter 5 : Shopping
Chapter 6 : Shower
Chapter 7 : Can't sleep
Chapter 8 : Ice rink
Chapter 9 : Power outage
Chapter 11 : Mark's job
Chapter 12 : School visit
Chapter 13 : Hurt
Chapter 14 : "Foster brother"
Chapter 15 : Nightmare panic
Chapter 16 : Handling it alone
Chapter 17 : Getting to know Riker
Chapter 18 : School
Chapter 19 : Homework
Chapter 20 : Shoved
Chapter 21 : A plan for home
Chapter 22 : Math test panic
Chapter 23 : Fire Drill
Chapter 24 : Not mad
Chapter 25 : Ice cream
Chapter 26 : Leaving
Chapter 27 : Punished
Chapter 28 : Burned
Chapter 29 : Safe
Chapter 30 : Tired
Chapter 31 : Sick
Chapter 32 : Riker's mom
Chapter 33 : Part of our family

Chapter 10 : The school talk

30 2 0
By kylieskatz22

Chapter 10

Later...   

Riker POV

I woke up to Mark putting me in bed. But I grabbed his hand because I didn't want him to leave me.

"Riker, I know you're scared. But I want you to try falling asleep in your own bed tonight, ok? If you get scared or need something, just wake up Rocky, ok?"

I nodded.

"Ok. Goodnight, Riker."

He left and I immediately sat up again. Rocky was looking at me from his bed.

"Are you going to try to go to sleep?" Rocky asked.

I shook my head no.

"Why not?"

I sighed. Why can't Mark just stay with me?

Rocky got out of bed.

"Move over."

I slid closer to the wall and Rocky got in next to me.

"Now can you try going to sleep?" He asked.

I nodded and laid back down next to him.

"Ok. Just wake me up if you need something."

I moved slightly closer to Rocky until I was close enough that I could bury my face in his side.

"You're ok, Riker. I promise," Rocky said, putting his arm around me.

I closed my eyes. Maybe I can fall asleep tonight now that Rocky's here.

The next day...

Riker POV

I completely forgot about school. So when Rocky's alarm went off this morning, I was confused. Everyone got ready for school and then left. And I didn't really know what to do now that I was by myself.

I ended up going downstairs and found Stormie in the kitchen. She made me some toast for breakfast and then said I could go watch tv for a while in the living room.

Mark came in probably an hour later, holding a grocery bag. And he sat down next to me on the couch. I wrapped my arms around him and climbed onto his lap. He hugged me tight and started rubbing my back.

"Riker, I want to talk about school, ok? Did you bring your phone down here so you can answer my questions?"

I nodded.

"Ok, so this is the stuff Rocky bought for you for school," he said, showing me the blue folder, binders, and notebooks we got at the mall.

"Were you in school before you were in the foster system?"

I nodded.

"Ok, then can you tell me what happened that's making you so scared to go back to school?"

I took out my phone and started typing.

I didn't get good grades. I'm really bad at school. Especially math. I failed a ton of tests. And that means beatings.

"Riker, right now it doesn't matter what your grades are. I just want to get you back in school so you don't fall behind. And no matter what grades you get, you're not going to get beat here, ok?"

I nodded and laid my head against his shoulder.

"Ok, is there anything else you're scared about with school?"

Bullies. They love to pick on the quiet kid because they know I won't say anything back to them.

"Ok. Well if anyone is bullying you, just tell me and I'll make sure it stops, ok?"

I nodded.

"Ok, then do you think you could try going back to school?"

I nodded again, even though I really don't want to.

"Good. Don't worry. It's not going to be tomorrow. Maybe next week or the week after that. You can still have some more time to get settled."

I put my phone down and went back to holding onto Mark with my arms around his neck.

"I want you to just try to relax today, ok? While everyone is at school, it's a bit quieter, so I know you like that. I know you're still nervous, but Rocky told me you slept through the night last night. I know he slept with you in your bed, but that's still improvement and I'm really proud of you, Riker."

Nobody's ever been proud of me before. I've never really done anything to be proud of. And I'm kind of confused why this is something to be proud of.

Later...

Rocky POV

I was playing video games with Ross and Ryland after dinner. Dad was sitting in the living room with us. And Riker was upstairs taking a bath.

"What did Riker do today while we were at school?" Ross asked.

"Just watched tv. And we talked about school. That was basically it," dad said.

"How is he going to school if he can't talk?" Ross asked.

"I'm going to talk to the school when I get him registered and tell them that he doesn't talk so they can tell his teachers. It should be fine."

"How is he going to make friends if he can't talk?" Ross asked.

"Why are you so hyperfixated on Riker?" I asked.

"I'm not. I'm just curious how you can go to school without speaking. That's weird. People don't typically do that."

I rolled my eyes.

"It's getting late. Ross and Ryland, why don't you head up to bed?" Dad asked.

"What about Rocky?" Ross asked.

"Rocky can wait down here for Riker. I know he's going to show up down here when he's out of the bath," dad said.

"Whatever," Ross mumbled, walking upstairs.

"Why does he have such a problem with Riker?" I asked.

"I don't think he has a problem with him. I think maybe he's just jealous," dad said.

"Jealous? Of what?"

"Of the attention Riker's getting."

"Oh..."

"I think it'll get better the longer Riker's here."

"Ok, but how long is Riker going to be here for? Because he's just a foster kid."

"I know. It's a complicated thing. There's not really a set amount of time he'll be in the foster system for. I don't know the specifics, but his parents have a court date in about a month and that's where they'll make the decision of if Riker goes back to live with them or if they lose their rights to him and he stays in the foster system."

"So what happens if he stays in the foster system? Does he stay with us?"

"I'm not sure. The foster center said they'd talk to us about it after we find out what happens in court."

"Well what if Riker has to go back to live with his own parents?"

"What do you mean? Then he'll go back...?"

"No. I mean... He'll get hurt again. They abused him. That's why he doesn't talk. Why would the court even rule that he could go back to live with them if they hurt him?"

"That's just how it works. Courts want to give parents every opportunity to make things right and keep their children. Because once they take away their rights, they're gone forever and they can't get their rights back. So they give parents a lot of chances as long as it's not a life or death scenario."

"That's dumb."

"I know. But that's how it is."

"I don't want him to get hurt again."

"We'll just have to wait and see what happens, Rocky. Try not to worry about it until we know for sure what's going to happen."

"Ok..."

I heard footsteps, and sure enough, it was Riker. He went straight to dad again and climbed on his lap and hugged him.

"How was your bath? Was it ok?" Dad asked.

Riker nodded.

"Ok. Why don't you and Rocky head up to bed. I'll be up in a minute."

Riker got up and reached his hand out to me. I took his hand and led him upstairs.

"Ok, do you want to try sleeping alone in your bed tonight?"

Riker shook his head no.

"Of course not... Do you want me to sleep in your bed or do you want to sleep in mine?"

Riker pulled me to his bed. We both got in and waited for dad. He told us goodnight and tucked us into bed.

"Ok, just wake me up if you need anything, Riker."

He got closer to me and turned his face into my side just like last night. So I put my arm around him again.

That's something I've noticed about him, besides him really liking dad and me. He likes physical touch and being close to someone. He's always on dad's lap whenever he can be. And now he wants to be next to me in bed. I get that he's scared, but he wants his face in my side.

Maybe he was deprived of hugs or something at home. I'll probably never know. But I'm just trying to make him feel as comfortable as possible.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

36.6K 1.2K 24
Did you ever had that feeling that you're unwanted? Mila did, she moved from a foster family to another and to another. She never stayed at a family...
1.8K 100 32
Brothers Riker and Ross are thrown into foster care after Child Protection Services take them out of their abusive household. But Riker has major iss...
11K 376 34
My name is Riley I don't have a last name I ever have not for 12 years, everyone things I am a normal 12 year old but I'm not I live in a care home...
3.1K 54 10
Riker Lynch gets into a car crash and gets a traumatic brain injury. He can't talk or do much of anything anymore. But his family is determined to he...