Becoming a Maximoff

By Just_writing_a_bit

Book 3 in the Maximoff series. If you haven't read either of the books before, please do so. There is a short... More

Chapter 1: Hamilton, Scotland
Chapter 2: Cooking date
Chapter 3: Sunset
Chapter 4: What's your power again?
Chapter 5: 15 years later
Chapter 6: Soft*
Chapter 7: Visit
Chapter 8: Graduation
Chapter 9: 1 year anniversary
Chapter 10: Revelations and Rain
Chapter 11: Intimate Moments
Chapter 12: Finally 18
Chapter 13: Top Golf
Chapter 14: The job and a phone call
Chapter 15: Family bliss
Chapter 16: Where are you?
Chapter 17: What's going on?
Chapter 18: Who are you?
Chapter 19: Where to go?
Chapter 21: Into the base
Chapter 22: Vents have ears
Chapter 23: Stone
Chapter 24: Why?
Chapter 25: Find Wanda
Chapter 26: Remember me
Chapter 27: Against the rest
Chapter 28: What now?
Chapter 29: What was that?
Chapter 30: Everything could change
Chapter 31: Bliss
Chapter 32: All along
Chapter 33: Attack
Chapter 34: Reunion
Chapter 35: Catching up
Chapter 36: Back at the compound
Chapter 37: Talking strategy
Chapter 38: Old room
Chapter 39: On the jet
Chapter 40: Wakanda
Chapter 41: Earthquake?
Chapter 42: Removal
Chapter 43: Forest
Chapter 44: Snap
Chapter 45: Half the population
Chapter 46: 5 years
Chapter 47: What do you know about quantum physics?
Chapter 48: Vormir
Chapter 49: 3 seconds
Chapter 50: Morgan
Chapter 51: We won
Chapter 52: The past
Chapter 53: It's not your fault
Chapter 54: Memorial
Chapter 55: 1 year

Chapter 20: A short journey

173 14 3
By Just_writing_a_bit

Pov y/n

I get out at a bus stop and look around. I have no clue where I am. The connection from Wanda's side is still lost, so all I have is my phone. I could be totally wrong by now but what else am I supposed to do?
If I just stay where I am, I would lose my mind and be way too anxious about not doing anything.

So, I walk down the street, following my phone and hoping to hear something of Wanda again.

An hour later I stop to have a little break and drink some water, looking around. By now I am close to a forest, no city really close anymore.
Maybe not the smartest and safest idea, if I think about it. If anything were to happen, I'm screwed. I take a deep breath and try to push that thought out of my head, it won't help me to think about that now.

I jump, when I suddenly hear a voice again.
"Y/n?" Wanda asks and I try to calm my heart rate down after the scare.

"Yes, I'm here." I answer and instantly concentrate. I have no ide how much time we have until the connection is lost again and I need to know if I'm on the right way.

"Where are you?" She asks and I look around cluelessly.

"On the side of a road, close to a forest." I answer vaguely, still trying to find a sign or anything. "Why?"

"I'm scared." Wanda says, her voice sounding smaller than usual and worry shots through my body, together withvthe fear that she might be harmed.

"Did something happen? Did they hurt you?" I ask, having trouble to concentrate on the connection.

"I don't know. They injected me something and it made me a bit dizzy. I have no clue what they're trying to do to me. I am alright so far but I am scared for what's to come. I overheard someone talk about experiments that they apparently wanna do with me and I am scared that it will end very badly." She tells me, clearly frightened and as much as I want to be there for her right now, I only halfway listened and tried to find the connection again.

This time, I can feel the pull instantly. It's stronger than before, which I take as a good sign. Maybe I am closer now. Well, not just maybe. If I weren't, I wasted a lot of time in a situation where we don't really have time at all.

"You are strong Wanda, you can do that. Just hold on until I'm there. I'm gonna get you out of there." I assure her, trying to keep her spirits a little higher and feeling bad that I can't do much more than that.

I open the compass on my phone again and turn around until I am facing into the direction it pulls me. It's not exactly the direction I was walking into but at least it's also not the opposite direction. The little arrow on my phone points right into the woods, where the light from the sky is swallowed by the treetops. I gulp but gather all the courage inside me and start walking into the forest.

"When are you gonna be there?" Wanda asks, her voice suddenly sounding a little echoey, which scares me a bit because that can't be a good sign.

"Hopefully soon. I have no idea how far I'm still away but the pull is stronger now, so I am on my way. Please hold on as long as you can, daisy." I plead, not even wanting to think about what would happen if she didn't. I can't lose her!

"Okay, I will try." She replies, her voice silent and more of a mumble.

That's not good. I quickly concentrate on the pull once more and save the direction on my phone before the connection breaks. I stop, allowing myself to take a breath.

Even though it relieves me to hear Wanda's voice, it also makes me more anxious. Her condition isn't getting better and whatever they are giving her, it's not for her well-being. The fear that she might not be able to communicate anymore raises inside me and I gulp, she'd be lost then. If I don't have the connection, I am not able to find the way.

A sudden wave of fear and hopelessness hits me and I have to lean against a tree to not tremble. What if this was the last time I spoke to her? What if I can't find the way and free her?

I don't want my last words to her be anything less than 'I love you'.

And even if I get to wherever she is, what am I gonna do then?

The plan is not very thought through and I only notice that now. Not that we would have had time to think it through any further but still. That place might be surrounded by hundreds of people as far as we know. I can't fight that many people all on my own. In a team, yeah maybe but not alone.

What if Wanda won't be conscious when I find her? She won't be able to help us get out then. I can't carry her and fight our way out. We would both be held hostage then. Or, if they have no 'use' for me, they might kill me.

My breathing picks up and my chest tightens. What if I have a panic attack or flashback while fighting them? I won't be of any use then. I can't do this. I'm not capable. Shit!

Tears prick in my eyes and I wanna scream. I never asked for my life to become this complicated.
All I wanted was to be happy with Wanda and not creeping around the woods to find my girlfriend who was kidnapped by someone.

I'm not blaming Wanda, not at all. I am just wishing that it didn't went downhill. And to whoever is writing my story, I sure hope this will be the last hurdle in my relationship with Wanda and my life in the nearer future, or ever.

I wipe a few tears from my face, I don't have time for that right now. I can have a breakdown when I'm safe and back with Wanda, not now.

With heavy steps, I continue my way, following the arrow on my phone. The ground is uneven and I have to pay attention so I won't trip. My mind still won't stop spinning with worries and fears and on top of the physical exhaustion, I start to get mentally exhausted as well. What a great combination!

As much as I am trying to push those thoughts away, I can't because they aren't unreasonable.
It is a fair point to wonder if I can even fight against the amount of people who kidnapped Wanda.

This isn't some Avenger's mission with backup and all that. I don't have a jet waiting for me and Wanda with a medical bay. We probably have to make our way back through this forest, no matter how hurt or exhausted we are. This isn't well planned, it's just the next thing I could do.

I almost trip over a rock and curse, feeling myself at the edge of a mental breakdown. It would probably be smart to rest before going in and fight but could I really rest that well outside? Apart from it being not very comfortable, it would also be cold, even with the blanket and I don't wanna risk to waste time that I, or better Wanda, doesn't have. But before I can think about anything like resting, I should find the place first.

For the next hour or so, I walk through the forest, being slowed down by the uneven ground or small ponds. My thoughts are still exhausting me and I gave up to try and control them. Now would be a great time for one of Wanda's visions in my head. They always make me happy and relaxed. Although, if Wanda was with me, I wouldn't be here.

When I notice the forest ending, there's a glimpse of hope inside me and I walk a little faster, hoping to find what I'm looking for. To my disappointment it's just a clearing, making me huff. I look down at my phone, not even sure if I am getting closer anymore. I've never followed a direction just because it feels right. And especially not, when it's so important. But I doubt a little that I will talk to Wanda again today.

It's a little miracle that we even got to talk twice today. And I am also not sure, if I would be happy if we talked a third time today because something tells me, that whenever she is able to talk to me, something bad happens to her. I can't tell why I have this feeling but it's there.
So, I will just have to live with this right now.

When I spot something between the trees, I narrow my eyes, trying to get a better view. Is that a building?
Inside the forest?

I glance around but there is no one, so I slowly and carefully approach it.
My breath gets shallower automatically, scared I will pull anyone's attention, even if I seem to be alone.
This could just be a random building, or it's the place where they hide Wanda.

It looks a bit rotten and old but the stone underneath the leaves doesn't seem too crumble yet.

Could this be it?

I don't spot any cameras, but I still keep my distance as I walk around it. When I see a symbol I stop. It's an octopus and somehow, that symbol seems familiar, I just don't know why...

A/n: Y/n is getting closer...

Thanks for reading and love to you all <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

74.1K 1.3K 36
This is book 1/7 After 7 years of working in Hydra. Wanda Maximoff has finally escaped with her bother Pietro Maximoff by her side. The Avengers took...
4.2K 177 6
Disclaimer: All rights go to dearzoemurphy on AO3 who gave me permission to share their work -0-0-0- ...
32.5K 1.1K 28
Disclaimer: I don't own any of the characters in this story other than Indiana and Wesley. Spoiler warning for the following movies: "Avengers: Age O...
26.7K 949 13
*EDITING* This book is a fan-fiction about intersex You and Wanda Maximoff's love story. It's still a work in progress, so please be patient for the...