The Waitress (GxG)

By gorillagroddshelmet

When working at a failing high end restaurant in New York, Mariah Breaux knows every corner about scraping by... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59

29

3.2K 102 10
By gorillagroddshelmet

I stood in the spacious kitchen with Noah as he tried the multitude of food items for the event.

"Oh yeah, this one is good." He mumbled while pointing to the third steak I had lined on the counter.

"It doesn't need anything?" I asked once more.

He's been taste testing some test dishes, telling me which one he likes the best. After trying macaroons, fries, and now steak I was waiting for his opinion on it.

"Mhm," He hummed, cutting another piece of the meat.

"Mhm what? What else does it need?" I asked furrowing my brows.

He shook his head no before responding, "Nothing, this might be the best steak I ever had for real," He said, taking another bite.

I exhaled in relief, opening my phone and saving the instructions I made for the third steak.

"I honestly don't even know why you're stressing, Nova wouldn't even care if the food was trash," He mumbled, shrugging his shoulders.

I pulled out a stool next to Noah, "Who all is going to be at the event?" I asked.

"Family, extended family, mafias, friends, uhhh–"

"And that's why I'm stressing, that's like 3 million people." I deadpanned.

"No, it's only like 100... minimum," He trailed off and with that I put my head down on the counter.

"This is going to go so bad." I groaned.

"No it's not, all you do is cook a bunch of food, if somebody says it's bad, me and Nova will just shoot them, plain and simple." He said, and I chuckled at his antics.

"You're laughing but it wasn't a joke," he added.

I lifted my head and stared at him for a few seconds, "I hope you're joking."

"Im definitely not–"

I rose from the stool. "Alright team! Let's make some more food." I cut him off enthusiastically, not wanting to hear his future plans.

I started walking toward the stove tying my apron before I heard someone speak.

"It smells amazing in here," The familiar voice said. I turned around to see who it was and my eyes immediately landed on Nova's mom.

"Yeah, I would hope it smelled good, I mean you guys did hire a chef," Noah said jokingly.

"Not too much now." Nora said, walking deeper into the kitchen.

"Good morning," I said as she approached me.

"Good morning, is it okay if I talk with you for a bit?" She asked and I felt my heart drop to the floor.

Was I going to get fired?

Does she know about Nova and I? Is that what this is all about?

"Earth to Mariah." Noah said from a distance, noticing my anxiousness.

"Oh– yeah sure..." I whispered, trailing off.

I was scared out of my mind.

"Come, let's take a little tour, I'm sure there are places you haven't seen here before." She said turning on her heel, walking out the kitchen.

I untied my apron and draped it across the counter, following behind her.

"Ooooo, Mariahs in trouble." Noah called out from behind me.

I caught up to Nora, as we walked across the marble floors in silence.

We walked toward the front entrance. "How are you enjoying everything so far?" She questioned.

"Everythings good, just a little stressful, that's all." I admitted.

She opened the front door and I stepped through."I know, I'm sorry about that, I couldn't imagine."

"Have you seen the backyard yet?" She added trailing out behind me.

"Yeah, not all of it though, I've only been out there twice, once was around the basketball courts and the other was at the pool." I replied.

"Has Nova taken you to the garden yet?" She asked, looking at me.

What garden? "You mean the front lawn area?" I asked in confusion.

I mean was the front lawn not a garden in itself?

I had no idea there was a garden here. 

A laugh escaped her mouth as she shook her head. "No, we have a separate garden, I want to show it to you," She continued chuckling.

We walked across the hidden brick pathway toward the front corner of the lawn and I still couldn't see a garden.

There wasn't anything–

I cut my thoughts short as I stood dead in my tracks upon seeing the hedges, bush sculptures, and glass greenhouse in the distance.

How have I never noticed it?

"I had it tucked away in a corner so it's closed off and separate from the rest of the estate," She said, turning to face me.

"Yeah... I was wondering how I never noticed it before," I said, making my way towards it again.
We walked across the grass until we approached a patterned brick walkway.

The pathway was lined with different sorts of colored flowers and I quickly noticed the roses, white tulips, and lilies.

"This is..." I trailed off completely in awe.

"This isn't even all of it," she said, grabbing my hand and leading me down the pathway, I raised my eyebrows in amazement as the rest of the garden finally came into view.

It was completely covered in colorful flowers placed intricately throughout the area. There was a white fountain in the middle of the brick walkway with sculptures of animals carved into it.

I followed the walkway deeper into the lush garden while Nora was walking with me.

"What's your thoughts on it so far?" she asked.

"I don't even have any thoughts right now— this is beautiful" I breathed out. "Is it yours?" I asked, glancing at the bees above the flowers.

"Mhm, I've planted and have been taking care of everything here for the past 15 years." She responded.

"That's a huge commitment." I said. 15 years was a long time.

"Very huge," she replied, "...And speaking of..." she trailed off.

I furrowed my brows in confusion when she grabbed my hand and guided me to sit on the stone bench.

"You and Nova?" She questioned looking at me and I felt embarrassment coat my body.

Was it that obvious?

I tried to quickly come up with a lie and completely fell short, "...I don't know." I responded feeling completely defeated.

"Feeling confused?" She asked softly.

I averted my attention to my hands, "...Yeah" I sighed.

"I know, I felt the same way about their father when we were trying to get together," She admitted, "You guys just have to work through it."

"I know I'm just—I don't know." I said backtracking.

And upon realizing my hesitation she spoke, "What are you thinking?" she questioned.

"I- What if it's too much?" I finally asked, "What if I can't handle it, and what would I do if something happens to Nova—"

"Mariah..." she trailed off, "You remind me of myself when I was younger. I had all of these questions about everything with no answers, but I had to figure it out myself in order to understand. Nothing about this is easy, I've been in that exact same predicament you're in, scared to fully commit, thinking of the worst." She continued. "But I put all of that aside, and took that leap of faith— and it was one of the best things I've ever done." she said.

"—Now I'm not telling you to take my advice and get with Nova expecting a smooth relationship, but what I am telling you is to keep in mind that the good always outweighs the bad, and it will always be worth it in the end."

I kept her words on replay throughout my mind as I dissected my feelings.

And I think I've came to a conclusion.

Which involved me seeing Nova.

"Thank you." I whispered, facing her completely.
She nodded her head before responding, "Now, what questions do you have about this whole mafia thing, I have all day."

A laugh escaped my lips, and for the first time today I felt light— like a weight was lifted off of my shoulders.

Because I knew what I was going to do.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

484K 15.2K 40
Nova Astrid has been acting since she was 13, and ever since her acting career started, she's been in intense competition with Milani Zaffrid; the sp...
692K 30.7K 33
Zora was was finally an adult, she was going to take over her mother's company. The mafia princess worked right under her mother's wing when she made...
69.8K 3.1K 34
Gia Morretti never wanted to have anything to do with the family business. Then one day she found herself in charge of the entire mob. Gia has to l...
169K 5.9K 42
Victoria, cold and heartless when it comes to the way she runs her mafia. She's precise, full of secrets and doesn't let anything get past her. Some...